• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Controller Preference

• Only used DS4

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Only used Move

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Used both, prefer DS4

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Used both, prefer Move

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Used both, like them equally

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Anyone try this dream yet? The control looks really good here, looks very authentic for Crash. I think the level design is too big without clear indication where you're supposed to go, but this dreams look great

Dyllan Price

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a list going of games that aren't in progress and feel "complete"? (takes more than a couple hours to finish, multiple levels, etc)? Something like Marbelous, for example.
Off the top of my head there are plenty but they are all WIP
- Traveler
- Ball World Adventures
- Fracture Tale
- Little Jumps
- Castaway
- A Place In Outer Space
- Slayer Scrolls
- A Haunted Mansion
- Dog's Run
- 2D Jack
- The grape escape
- Project Hill Redux
- Silent Hills
- Pig Detective

Theres a lot more, you just gotta look in the depths.
Gonna promote myself a little bit, my game takes around a hour and half to beat on average, The Impossible Quiz- Dreams Edition.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Since I put in my big update for my minigame last week, I've noticed everyone's been terrible at it! (on the scoreboards). I probably need to make 2 new game modes so people can practice with button matching and ducky catching separately, before playing the main game. I've decided to at least upload a video to show how it should be played:

dreams_20190516001821erjkz.gif

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Only took about an hour to adjust to the Move controls. Maybe I was just too tired last night.

They are well done tbh. I'm excited to sculpt with them. Trying to get these tutorials out of the way first.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
So the Moves are awesome but I really WISH they had the option like on DS4 to lock onto an element and cleanly rotate around (orbit) it. This flimsy "move button + wrist rotation" is nice for most things, but I often miss having a precise orbit. Still Moves are wonderful... wish people would make games for them. Or adapt the controls for Move versions of games.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh no, the thread entered the hangouts graveyard...

Anyway, I ran head first into my first limit today. Suddenly the game stated that I had ran out of zones. I'm using tiny zones connected to every single hazard brick, and it very quickly reached the limit even though there's no thermometer for that. So I went back through my level and removed the zones for every big hazard and stretched one of them to cover the bunch. It should achieve the same thing, it's just a bit more busywork. I think I'll map out the overall structure of the game now to see how much I have to play with. Another issue is that I'm using zones to make bushes make a sound when you hop onto them. Those are usually arranged in a more complex way. I'll see what I can do - those only appear in one section of the map anyway. I will need a bunch of logic and zones to activate the game progression, so I need to make room.

Jan 15, 2019
SlurmMacKenzie for castaway how did you do the flying glowy balls? They fly in lovely arcs
A set of Keyframes on a timeline. They even let you previsualize the path of the item you're moving when you're editing the keyframes, that's super useful. And I don't remember the name of the parameter, but the second slider on the keyframe (50% by default) let you customize how smoth the arcs will be (from a straight angle to a nice curve).

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! I hope the exploration part is not too boring, but I also hope that in the end it's worth it. I'm a bit sad to see that less than 45% of players saw the ending scene. That's why there are no puzzle during the exploration, I wanted as many players as possible to see all of the dream.
Nah i didn't find it boring, the atmosphere and environmental storytelling was strong enough to keep me engaged the whole way through. Honestly a 45% completion rate seems strong to me.

Was also cool to see this on the MM stream!

Pikelet they just showed your forklift game on stream.

They sure did haha. I was so pumped to see this! They actually played through it twice, which is pretty awesome, and I'm glad they seemed to have fun with it. My Dreams notifications have gone nuts, I get a little spike of endorphins every time i open up the game.

It's somewhat of a shame they featured it in it's current state though, cause if they happened to have done it next week they'd likely have seen my updated version.

The update will include:
- A new level with mechanics that requires you to use the actual fork
- General improvements, like fixing one of the disorientating camera movements
- Hopefully maybe some sort of leaderboard function. I think I will try to do one of those 3-stars per level thingies that Orioto did for Little Jumps.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm unsure, but I think I might have saved when I was doing a key frame pose.

Either way, my default pose is now seemingly overwritten and gone and now I have to do all of my animations again.

ow, always remember to back up your stuff.

Last edited:

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
A set of Keyframes on a timeline. They even let you previsualize the path of the item you're moving when you're editing the keyframes, that's super useful. And I don't remember the name of the parameter, but the second slider on the keyframe (50% by default) let you customize how smoth the arcs will be (from a straight angle to a nice curve).

I should try that (it was pretty classy in your game) cause i didn't really find out how to have things moving through the level yet. I wanted to have some satellites stuff flying through the level in my second world but i could only use a mover, so they just cross but they never come back :p So after some times there are none of them left.

Anyway about what i was saying last time i posted. i'm a little depressed with how late levels are played. To be precise, my second world has 2 levels. The general game has been played by lots of new people in the last days, more than 1000, and liked by a third of them, but, the level 2-1 stayed at 13 people and the 2-2 has still 4 players lol. So yeah.. Can you imagine, if i do a level 2-3 it will have 2 players i guess. What about a world 3 ? .. I really wonder if there is a point in doing something with too much content for now.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
After spending WAYYYYYY too much time getting the logic right, I finally published my in-game journal menu with support for different chapters and audio logs for each chapter. Planning to do a narrative-driven game where some of the puzzles stem from consulting the in-game journal, so this was a pretty important thing to get right.

Plz excusing my voice acting, I'm not a professional!

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
After spending WAYYYYYY too much time getting the logic right, I finally published my in-game journal menu with support for different chapters and audio logs for each chapter. Planning to do a narrative-driven game where some of the puzzles stem from consulting the in-game journal, so this was a pretty important thing to get right.

That's amazing. I really like the way you can interact with the book. Well done.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway about what i was saying last time i posted. i'm a little depressed with how late levels are played. To be precise, my second world has 2 levels. The general game has been played by lots of new people in the last days, more than 1000, and liked by a third of them, but, the level 2-1 stayed at 13 people and the 2-2 has still 4 players lol. So yeah.. Can you imagine, if i do a level 2-3 it will have 2 players i guess. What about a world 3 ? .. I really wonder if there is a point in doing something with too much content for now.
I think it's a difficulty thing, honestly. The game is fun but it's just really really hard! You could easily boost the completion rate by adding in some mid-level checkpoints or something.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow

This is great, really nicely done.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I think it's a difficulty thing, honestly. The game is fun but it's just really really hard! You could easily boost the completion rate by adding in some mid-level checkpoints or something.

well yeah i don't know, i can try that. Putting check points in super short level seems ridiculous to me lol but who knows. It's like having a check point every 2 jumps or something :) i'll try at that point cause i can't continue working on the game if people won't play the rest anyway.

Last edited:

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
well yeah i don't know, i can try that. Putting check points in super short level seems ridiculous to me lol but who knows. It's like having a check point every 2 jumps or something :) i'll try at that point cause i can't continue working on the game if people won't play the rest anyway.

I wonder if you might find some success in refocusing the difficulty so that completing levels is significantly easier, with the speedrunning/stars there to reward the hardcore players.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

If its more a time challenge perhaps you could add a level select so people can try each individually? You may be more likely to get plays spread out across all levels and might encourage repeat play rather than have people give up if they hit a stumbling block on one level?

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I wonder if you might find some success in refocusing the difficulty so that completing levels is significantly easier, with the speedrunning/stars there to reward the hardcore players.

Man, this was always the idea ^^'' I mean ... You know i get some of the mario 3d problems and why Nintendo struggle to make them popular for some crowds. You can see it in the stream where the MM woman tried the game. There is a inherent difficulty in doing the simple depth jump. So there is the level difficulty in the level design, and there is the difficulty in just.. jumping from a platform to an other. Some of the first levels have basically no ld challenge at all for the basic path. Like... no obstacle, no timing.. nothing. So if you have no problem with 3d, they are essentially free, but if you do, then they are already a challenge. That's the difficulty in doing this kind of game.

If its more a time challenge perhaps you could add a level select so people can try each individually? You may be more likely to get plays spread out across all levels and might encourage repeat play rather than have people give up if they hit a stumbling block on one level?

Well do you mean making them not unlocked ? Cause it's funny but about that, the level select is in all dreams and i'm not sure people use that. It's a fucking struggle to create a map in game or something like that. It's a shame if nobody really uses that sweet thing that is already there. Now if you're talking about making them directly available, i don't thin personally, that's my opinion, for 2 reasons. First, they are harder and harder. if someone struggles on one, he's not going to think "hey let's do the next one". Secondly, i really like that in a game you have to discover things, i mean that's one of the thing that make a game feel like a real game to me.

Anyway thx for the ideas! I added check points in every level! At least for the simple path. The star path is for guys who are more resilient anyway (and it's shorter by definition). Also MrKlaw i don't know if you saw but i credited you in the description cause you helped me start with all that and you did it specifically for me! Thx again!

Also i'll see if i continue this game (i'll finish the second world at least), if i see people start playing through the later levels. But one thing is certain, i think i'll do 2d next time. Cause t'hat's better for my art anyway (it's difficult to compose stuff in every direction lol), and it'll be simpler to play :p I'm already looking for some simple mechanics i could use for a short 2d platformer.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Orioto thansk for the mention in the credits! I enjoy a bit of problem solving and your 2D art over recent years has warmed my heart so many times, it was the least I could do.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Orioto thansk for the mention in the credits! I enjoy a bit of problem solving and your 2D art over recent years has warmed my heart so many times, it was the least I could do.

Aaaw thx!
Speaking about logic.. :p I got an idea and i gueesss it's not too hard and i could do it myself maybe with some clues.

_Let's say i want pick ups you know, in my platformer. But i want them to switch between 2 states. A bonus one, and a killing one, in rythm. What would be the best way to do that ?

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Aight, a few more questions for anyone with the time:

- Will this game require a PS+ subscription?
- Will it be possible to download dreams and play them offline?
- Will this game have an offline mode at all? Will story mode content be playable offline?
- Any word on a possible release date?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Aight, a few more questions for anyone with the time:

- Will this game require a PS+ subscription?
- Will it be possible to download dreams and play them offline?
- Will this game have an offline mode at all? Will story mode content be playable offline?
- Any word on a possible release date?

- not currently. Possibly multiplayer online when it arrives will need it like other games. But browsing and downloading dreams - or uploading your own - doesn't need plus
- yes you can do that now
- current completely playable offline except obviously you can't download any new levels. Story mode we don't know yet but I'd guess they'd be playable offline
- hope but it's a very solid early access already

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Aaaw thx!
Speaking about logic.. :p I got an idea and i gueesss it's not too hard and i could do it myself maybe with some clues.

_Let's say i want pick ups you know, in my platformer. But i want them to switch between 2 states. A bonus one, and a killing one, in rythm. What would be the best way to do that ?

Create the two pickups in the same position, and create a key frame for each toggling its visibility and collision on/off. Create a timeline (set to loop) and put the two key frames on it one after the other. I think that should work. There's probably an easier/better way to do it though.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Create the two pickups in the same position, and create a key frame for each toggling its visibility and collision on/off. Create a timeline (set to loop) and put the two key frames on it one after the other. I think that should work. There's probably an easier/better way to do it though.

Great, thx i will try that!

OMG it works it's so fucking easy :p Keyframes are real useful!
I just have to understand how the score works now :p

Last edited:

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Experimented with my idea. i'll have to see how to map the score by studying the score gadgets in little jumps lol. And i'd like to have some multiplier so hm..

Difficulty is to give it the needed sound feedback, but it's going to be boring pretty quick if too agressive and i have to put a music on top of it. I used some percussion but not sure that's ideal.

Also my world 2 finally had some new players. Maybe it's the check points! (Maybe it's people from here :p)

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Add me to trouble balancing difficulty group.

It is just so eye-opening to see someone else play your game. I thought my controls we're pretty straight forward, but now I realize they can be overbearing for players. I need to work on introducing each mechanic individually, but in a way where players aren't bored immediately out the gate and switch to something else.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Add me to trouble balancing difficulty group.

It is just so eye-opening to see someone else play your game. I thought my controls we're pretty straight forward, but now I realize they can be overbearing for players. I need to work on introducing each mechanic individually, but in a way where players aren't bored immediately out the gate and switch to something else.
Depending on your game but I was watching a video about Nintendo's design philosophy from game makers toolkit months back. It might help.

https://www.youtube.com/user/McBacon1337

Oct 26, 2017
What do you think about publishing works in progress? Currently I have tons of passages that will simply lead to endless falls. But I'd like to get some feedback on the game. I'm just worried that I lose my fifteen minutes of fame and then won't see people return to the finished version.

Oct 26, 2017
I just constructed a lantern, made the fire part of it glow, made logic that removes it and plays a sound when you touch it, and activates a variable that lights up an indicator in the UI layer. Dreams is so damn rewarding when things just work!

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Experimented with my idea. i'll have to see how to map the score by studying the score gadgets in little jumps lol. And i'd like to have some multiplier so hm..

Difficulty is to give it the needed sound feedback, but it's going to be boring pretty quick if too agressive and i have to put a music on top of it. I used some percussion but not sure that's ideal.

Also my world 2 finally had some new players. Maybe it's the check points! (Maybe it's people from here :p)

Not sure to understand. Do you need help/advice on what sounds to use?

Deleted member 51797

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Bought this two days ago and I'm loving it - there's so much love in this project! The only thing I really don't get the hang of is sculpting and the camera - moving around while sculpting never works the way I think it will and that makes it rather frustrating sometimes. I might re-do some of the tutorials.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Not sure to understand. Do you need help/advice on what sounds to use?

For now i'm using that method but i'll need help if it's a problem in the level, to put music on top for exemple. Music will have to match the rythm anyway i guess but then for the whole game it would be boring maybe. I couldn't find a better way for now. Using notes crescendo is obviously worse for an eventual music on top. The thing is it has to be all the time in the level so it has to be audible all the time for the rythm, but also not annoying. I can still use an advice of course :p

For now i optimized it (it's super important that it unconsciously shows the player when the blue period ends)

Also i created my character for that future game. If i have that percussion based music, why not some vanillawarish setting! I understood some of the keyframe linked to animation phase o, i could make the jump more fluid by moving the hat!

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
Finally starting to get attack animations that are attacks. I was trying to do to much in one line, just keeping every limb on it its own line with its own tweens makes it all alot easier. Same thing when it comes to pathing the walk forward one line, then copy the location right underneath the end and tween the turn there.

Having trouble getting a handle on exclusive gates though. I have a menu that uses up and down on a selector then the resulting a/b I and with x into a counter n timer to the keyframe for the animations, but i cant figure out how to setup the exclusive gate to not allow them to end up being able to blend results.

I now also get the slow alert often. this normal? im only at 4% 4% 3% in a scene

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
For now i'm using that method but i'll need help if it's a problem in the level, to put music on top for exemple. Music will have to match the rythm anyway i guess but then for the whole game it would be boring maybe. I couldn't find a better way for now. Using notes crescendo is obviously worse for an eventual music on top. The thing is it has to be all the time in the level so it has to be audible all the time for the rythm, but also not annoying. I can still use an advice of course :p

For now i optimized it (it's super important that it unconsciously shows the player when the blue period ends)

Also i created my character for that future game. If i have that percussion based music, why not some vanillawarish setting! I understood some of the keyframe linked to animation phase o, i could make the jump more fluid by moving the hat!

Daaang, that's a nice looking jump animation.

Deleted member 51797

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I feel like a complete idiot during the sculpting tutorials. Apparently my rock formation doesn't want to be spray painted and stays a lovely pinkish. Also my new blocks don't appear in my selected colour. I've restarted the tutorial two times now but it's doesn't work - what's going wrong?

Deleted member 51797

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
My previous issue got fixed by restarting - no idea whether or not it was my fault. It probably was.

The sculpting tutorials make me really curse the controls now and then. It's very hard to get your bearing and make the thing do what you want it to do. I still haven't figured out how to reliably move objects further away or pull them closer. It's very hard to even build a straight line in snap mode when I don't really have full control over the camera yet. It has lead to some cursing.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
What do you think about publishing works in progress? Currently I have tons of passages that will simply lead to endless falls. But I'd like to get some feedback on the game. I'm just worried that I lose my fifteen minutes of fame and then won't see people return to the finished version.
"I'm just worried that I lose my fifteen minutes of fame"

This is exactly what'll happen if your WIP isn't impressive, imo. I'd wait.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Sorry for double posting, but here's what I'm working on:

It's the first time I'm really dabbling into art and modelling, does anyone have any tips on what could make the scene look better?

Deleted member 51797

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I'm slowly getting the hang of it - there is something truly magical about this. There is such a sense of wholesomeness coming from Media Molecule, the community and the tone of the game in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.