• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Controller Preference

• Only used DS4

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Only used Move

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Used both, prefer DS4

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Used both, prefer Move

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Used both, like them equally

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

So i tried to do just some art like a do usually!
I realized only game scenes can be protected from remixing.. I'm not sure why, that's strange. Music, sculpture are all forced to be remixable.

I think the principle is that if you want to show off sculptures/music etc, you would do it with a showcase dream, at which point you don't have to make it remixable when it gets published iirc.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Ive experienced the same thing the past few days. The Impossible Quiz would be getting 100 likes a day for around a week then suddenly 2 days ago I only had like 10 likes then today just 1 more like. Something happened defiantly.
Similar thing with my game - the stream of likes has dropped off almost completely in the last few days. The other day I also noticed the recommended section reverting to the old shitty behavior of replicating the 'most liked' content stream. Since then it appears to have been fixed, but clearly they are tinkering with the algorithm somehow.

Hopefully we get a patch soon with some new and improved sorting options

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I think the principle is that if you want to show off sculptures/music etc, you would do it with a showcase dream, at which point you don't have to make it remixable when it gets published iirc.

Hm so if i want to make more of those, and they are sculpts, i would need to put them into a dreams or rather a collection (or is it called a gallery ?) ? If i put them into a dream i'll have the problem of new content not being discovered i guess

Something i just noticed is when you publish a diorama like mine as a sculpture, you have a "see" button, and not a "play" button. That also means.. you won't have stats about how many people saw it. You need to have a play button to have stats, and that means people are actually publishing their landscape, for exemple, as a gallery, cause it has a play button.

Last edited:

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
The thread is kinda dead :(

Having some more fun with it, working on some DKC2 art, beginning to understand how things work (for art at least)!

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
The thread is kinda dead :(

Having some more fun with it, working on some DKC2 art, beginning to understand how things work (for art at least)!

i was away for most of the day. even missed the community creation stream today.

--
anyways, really love the wood on the ship.
and great work on the water too. looks beautiful.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
i was away for most of the day. even missed the community creation stream today.

--
anyways, really love the wood on the ship.
and great work on the water too. looks beautiful.

Thx, what i'm super proud of is the keyframed animated water splash haha :p Dreams is so amazing for art really, you can do crazy stuff, and all that dynamically, some stuff you would do in classical painting..

Also i'm doing this particular scene cause there is the pirate challenge now, let's see if i can compete!

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i have two questions for the logic-minded professionals in here:

1: does anyone know what i need to use to make music play randomly in a level? the best way i can explain is... you know in an Open World game, most of the time there won't be any music playing. and then randomly, there will be music playing. skyrim has this, breath of the wild has this, red dead redemption 2 has this, assassins creed odyssey has this etc. i dont want it to be playing all the time, just need it to play the once and then end and not play something for a long time until it eventually picks a different random song that i have. i'm assuming a timer, selector, and a randomizer? and i only want it to play those songs in a certain area (so like in breath of the wild for example, there are certain ambient songs that only play in hyrule field and certain ambient songs that only play around death mountain etc)

2: how do i make a song play to completion without me having to stand on the trigger zone the whole time? i've set up a trigger zone attached to the power of a song timeline but it only plays when my character is standing in it, and stops when my character leaves the zone, then continues when my character is in it etc.. i need it to play through when i've entered the zone, continue when i've exited the zone, and then never play again

edit: okay nevermind for 2, i was supposed to change a setting in the timeline, not on the other logic parts... silly me :/

edit 2: okay so for question 2 again, how do i make it so that the trigger zone goes away after its triggered once lol. i tried to use a destroyer for it but it doesnt work the way i figured it would.

edit 3: for question 2 AGAIN, i figured it out... for anyone looking for a solution, just put trigger zone - counter - timeline in a microchip and thats it

thanks in advance..

Last edited:

Ralph

Oct 27, 2017
i have two questions for the logic-minded professionals in here:

1: does anyone know what i need to use to make music play randomly in a level? the best way i can explain is... you know in an Open World game, most of the time there won't be any music playing. and then randomly, there will be music playing. skyrim has this, breath of the wild has this, red dead redemption 2 has this, assassins creed odyssey has this etc. i dont want it to be playing all the time, just need it to play the once and then end and not play something for a long time until it eventually picks a different random song that i have. i'm assuming a timer, selector, and a randomizer? and i only want it to play those songs in a certain area (so like in breath of the wild for example, there are certain ambient songs that only play in hyrule field and certain ambient songs that only play around death mountain etc)

2: how do i make a song play to completion without me having to stand on the trigger zone the whole time? i've set up a trigger zone attached to the power of a song timeline but it only plays when my character is standing in it, and stops when my character leaves the zone, then continues when my character is in it etc.. i need it to play through when i've entered the zone, continue when i've exited the zone, and then never play again

edit: okay nevermind for 2, i was supposed to change a setting in the timeline, not on the other logic parts... silly me :/

edit 2: okay so for question 2 again, how do i make it so that the trigger zone goes away after its triggered once lol. i tried to use a destroyer for it but it doesnt work the way i figured it would.

thanks in advance..

Yeah, a selector connected up to a timeline is how I'd do it. Put those in a microchip and power on the microchip depending on the area they're in. Either do that with one big sensor, or with sensors at the only entrances connected to a counter (set to 1) that resets once they leave.

For not having the songs play again straight away, just have the end of each timeline trigger a timer that will re-roll the selector once it's done, have another randomiser/selector system to various timers if you want random restart times.

Why do you need the trigger zone to go away? Is there an option to power on sensors I can't remember. If there is, just do that, otherwise put the sensor inside a microchip that gets turned off once you want it "destroyed".

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, a selector connected up to a timeline is how I'd do it. Put those in a microchip and power on the microchip depending on the area they're in. Either do that with one big sensor, or with sensors at the only entrances connected to a counter (set to 1) that resets once they leave.

For not having the songs play again straight away, just have the end of each timeline trigger a timer that will re-roll the selector once it's done, have another randomiser/selector system to various timers if you want random restart times.

Why do you need the trigger zone to go away? Is there an option to power on sensors I can't remember. If there is, just do that, otherwise put the sensor inside a microchip that gets turned off once you want it "destroyed".
yeah youre right about the trigger zone, i just needed to use a counter and not have it reset lol. the solution was so easy but i have it in my head that logic is more complicated than it actually is. i just overthink it too much

e_e

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious if anyone else has experience with updating their game, and whether that resulted in increased exposure. Currently noone's playing my game so I'm wondering if it's wasted effort trying to update it, or if it will actually get a boost.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious if anyone else has experience with updating their game, and whether that resulted in increased exposure. Currently noone's playing my game so I'm wondering if it's wasted effort trying to update it, or if it will actually get a boost.

As Og says, you'll get a few extra plays, but in my experience that effect has been much reduced since Recommended was changed, presumably because people no longer feel the need to look at Most Recent to find new stuff.

The only thing I would say is that practically the state of discoverability is inevitably going to change again, because it's clearly not right at the moment, so while you probably won't see much extra activity from updating it in the short term, ultimately you'd assume the best games will have a much deserved renaissance at some point.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
That Silent Hill project is really insane and it's a shame MediaMolecule will never be able to show it off in their stream because it is based on an existing IP. They could have easily removed any SH references and been able to get a ton of eyes on their work. When you're putting that much effort it, just set it in an original setting.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

Thought this was incredible visually. The visual variety of Dreams is effectively endless, which is such a massive achievement.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
So, let's say i have that dkc 2 pirate ship, and i want to make a keyframe animation to have it flow with the water you know. Except, well the ship has tons of shit on it and i'd have to make a huge group, but it's a pain to select many things in dreams cause small tings are never selected etc.. Is there a way i'm not seeing ?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
So, let's say i have that dkc 2 pirate ship, and i want to make a keyframe animation to have it flow with the water you know. Except, well the ship has tons of shit on it and i'd have to make a huge group, but it's a pain to select many things in dreams cause small tings are never selected etc.. Is there a way i'm not seeing ?

I've not got any great ideas... One thing you can do is double tap X, which selects everything in your current scope. Sometimes it's easier to select everything and deselect a few things than select a lot of things.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
When you double click X, it selects everything in the current scope. Would it be easier to select everything in the scene and then deselect everything that isn't the ship?

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I've not got any great ideas... One thing you can do is double tap X, which selects everything in your current scope. Sometimes it's easier to select everything and deselect a few things than select a lot of things.
When you double click X, it selects everything in the current scope. Would it be easier to select everything in the scene and then deselect everything that isn't the ship?

Wow you're amazingly similar :p Thx both of you that's already something i'll se if it helps! Trying to finish this now.
It's crazy my graphic thermo is still almost nothing, yet when i started having groups of groups of rope pieces, the game thermo went crazy directly..

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Something I made this morning. Once I finish Cubric, I want to make a bunch of character sculpts for people to use.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Something I made this morning. Once I finish Cubric, I want to make a bunch of character sculpts for people to use.

Cool! I still wonder how even experienced modelers can do this kind of thing and with what tool lol. I can't scuplt for shit, outside of geometric shape! And even this is an immense struggle!

So the double x tap worked. I just had to manually deselect approximately 50 things in the sky and sea :p
But my ship is now a proper puking experience.

New problem, and a weird one. Is it normal that i can't capture videos in that scene ? It's just this one. I can press share a long time and it'll save a screen, but a simple press for the menu show empty previews for video and screen and doesn't let me share... :( Is it cause it's a gallery ? I'm trying gallery cause a i said earlier sculpt doesn't let you see any view count.

Update: So at least i know what happened with my thermo. I used a rope from the dreamverse and i think its individual nodes were all indivual clones (and not active as it should) so i must have hundereds of individual objects in my ropes now..

What's silly is that, i could manage to cut the rope that wasn't on screen, but i'm still at 69% thermo, and the damn thing will not disappear from the play lol. How are you meant to capture the video if this is on it.. Anyway the capture still doesn't work. I remixed it to see and it worked again at first but then stopped working pretty quick..

Last edited:

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
So the vid sharing stuff is just a bug of the share menu, but it works with the direct button for recording!

Next!

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
That looks so good! Great job Orioto.

Thx :p I hope it'll be discovered lol. Having that early popularity with little jumps was an hidden poison! I was under the feeling it was rather easy to have hundreds of likes in Dreams! I'm going to learn how to be pleased with 15 likes now lol

Anyway next art will be LTTP cause i was curious from the start what you can do with a top view.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Thx :p I hope it'll be discovered lol. Having that early popularity with little jumps was an hidden poison! I was under the feeling it was rather easy to have hundreds of likes in Dreams! I'm going to learn how to be pleased with 15 likes now lol

Anyway next art will be LTTP cause i was curious from the start what you can do with a top view.
always enjoyed yourr art. and now we can see it animated which is even cooler. ;D

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Last edited:

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure if I missed it but is there a way to edit a sculpture/shape by edge/vertex? Edit shape seems to allow for face editing but not the two I'm looking for.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
so did they drop the limited access part? i assumed it wouldn't have been purchasable any more but i was quite surprised to see this up on the store the other day.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
so did they drop the limited access part? i assumed it wouldn't have been purchasable any more but i was quite surprised to see this up on the store the other day.
They just haven't hit whatever arbitrary threshold for # of users they want to let in. It was always going to be limited by user count, not time span.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I'm not sure if I missed it but is there a way to edit a sculpture/shape by edge/vertex? Edit shape seems to allow for face editing but not the two I'm looking for.
No, because Dreams' graphics system doesn't use polygons. It's generally based around different configurations of primitive shapes, which are additive or subtractive. Being able to soft blend between shapes is where the engine particularly excels.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Based on the advice from a couple in this thread, I've just started all my creations as Game Scenes. Now I need to pull an element from one to bring into another. How do I do that? I found where you can import, but it seems like you can only import elements and not scenes, so how do I transfer individual elements in one scene to another?

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Space Wars - Forcefighter is probably the most impressive Dreams game i have seen yet. It's only one level so far, but the graphics and controls are near-perfect recreations of the Star Wars Rogue Squadron games, it's just incredible.

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
No, because Dreams' graphics system doesn't use polygons. It's generally based around different configurations of primitive shapes, which are additive or subtractive. Being able to soft blend between shapes is where the engine particularly excels.
Yup, I'm aware of the tech/concepts behind it (SDFs and such). Was just hoping there was a shorthand for editing polygonal primitives (i.e. sharp edged shapes). I couldn't find an easy way to create non-right triangles without doing it by hand by subtracting triangles and squares.

Status
Not open for further replies.