• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Controller Preference

• Only used DS4

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Only used Move

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Used both, prefer DS4

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Used both, prefer Move

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Used both, like them equally

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Oh you're right, does sound like ungrouping then regrouping with the new object is the best way to go about it. Sorry couldn't be more help.
Thanks for trying, though :)

Yea, ungrouping and regrouping it is I guess, which is a bummer because the model I'm working on consists of groups within groups within groups and lots of rigging stuff that would probably break the whole thing if I mess with the groups. I guess remaking the asset within the group is the right thing to do for me now.

hold the object with r2, hover over the group and scope into it with l1+x while holding the object to add it to a group. Similarly hold an object and scope out with l1+o to remove it from a group.

Ooooh. Going to try this, thanks!

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I tried that star wars thing it's super impressive! It's done by a french guy who's in a french dreams community i discovered actually.

Anyway, man 40 views for my DKC art.. Is this going to be like that now ? Not sure i'll invest that much time in things honestly..
Now i suddenly realized if you're doing something non interactive and you're showing a vid of it, there is not much need to go see it in dreams actually lol. Also it's not in a dreams, it's just a gallery, so does people even see it..

Also about that subscription to dreamers thing.. I mean.. I follow some people and honestly i don't see how it's gonna work lol. You see tons of shit, for everything they do, liking a comment on their creation for exemple. You just have that tiny tag with people you follow notifications and you're meant to go there by yourself, and then you see tons of not needed shits, and how would you even know when there is actually a new creation from someone.. ?

Anyway experimenting with water/specular rain and thunder for the lttp art. I want it mega detailled.
Compression is horrendous, you won't even see the water detail lol. I'll have to make the strokes bigger for the flow

Last edited:

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Sorry to be annoying, but I'm bumping my last post to see if anyone can help me out.

Based on the advice from a couple in this thread, I've just started all my creations as Game Scenes. Now I need to pull an element from one to bring into another. How do I do that? I found where you can import, but it seems like you can only import elements and not scenes, so how do I transfer individual elements in one scene to another?

Deleted member 6562

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also about that subscription to dreamers thing.. I mean.. I follow some people and honestly i don't see how it's gonna work lol. You see tons of shit, for everything they do, liking a comment on their creation for exemple. You just have that tiny tag with people you follow notifications and you're meant to go there by yourself, and then you see tons of not needed shits, and how would you even know when there is actually a new creation from someone..

This was brought up in beta and has not changed in EA yet, but it will. I think they said you'll get to pick what type of things from people you follow show up there, which will make it much more useful. I think that section is currently grayed out in the preferences menu.

Based on the advice from a couple in this thread, I've just started all my creations as Game Scenes. Now I need to pull an element from one to bring into another. How do I do that? I found where you can import, but it seems like you can only import elements and not scenes, so how do I transfer individual elements in one scene to another?

Select the item you want to save on its own in the scene. At the lower right of the screen will be an option to save that item off as its own thing. Select what it is (music, sculpt, etc) then import it into your other scene. I imagine you can select many things in one scene and just save it as a sculpt and them import it/them into your other scene.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I'm nearing completion on my game. I just made a complete playthrough (without grabbing optional treasure) and... it takes me 8 minutes.

But I expect it will take a lot longer for those who don't know the route, so it should be okay. Poll time:

What should I do to add replayability?
a) Searching around until you've found every possible treasure
b) Reaching the end in the shortest possible time
c) Don't bother, people won't replay it anyway

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Select the item you want to save on its own in the scene. At the lower right of the screen will be an option to save that item off as its own thing. Select what it is (music, sculpt, etc) then import it into your other scene. I imagine you can select many things in one scene and just save it as a sculpt and them import it/them into your other scene.

Ah, that's brilliant. Thanks!

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
This was brought up in beta and has not changed in EA yet, but it will. I think they said you'll get to pick what type of things from people you follow show up there, which will make it much more useful. I think that section is currently grayed out in the preferences menu.

The thing is with those kind of features, it has to be right by default, or it's useless. If you don't put a notification in the nose of people who subscribed, telling them such artist has a new dream, this is already dead in the water.

making progress

And by the way sony, FUCK YOU for your video quality, what the fuck is this shit, is this 99 ?

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I'm nearing completion on my game. I just made a complete playthrough (without grabbing optional treasure) and... it takes me 8 minutes.

But I expect it will take a lot longer for those who don't know the route, so it should be okay. Poll time:

What should I do to add replayability?
a) Searching around until you've found every possible treasure
b) Reaching the end in the shortest possible time
c) Don't bother, people won't replay it anyway

Post a link to your game when you've completed it so that I can play it :)

Eight minutes is a perfectly fine length for a Dream I think, it's great to keep your game lean! If i was to write a ten commandments of Dreams design, I'd put "Though shalt not pad your game out" as top of the list.

As for your poll, without knowing the specifics of your game, I'd tend towards option B. Incentivise people to speedrun your game, and hook it up to a high score table.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Replying to myself here, but anyway here's a video of the Dream I'm talking about:

When I saw that on Twitter, my jaw dropped. So polished in every aspect (the sound, the lighting (amazing work here), the modeling, etc). The only minor issue I saw (which isn't really an issue) is the scale of the Star Destroyer. It seems to be a bit off when compared to the size of the X-Wing, right?

I hope this could be a stepping stone to a fully-fledged remake of X-Wing, Tie Fighter, and/or X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter.

Oct 26, 2017
When I saw that on Twitter, my jaw dropped. So polished in every aspect (the sound, the lighting (amazing work here), the modeling, etc). The only minor issue I saw (which isn't really an issue) is the scale of the Star Destroyer. It seems to be a bit off when compared to the size of the X-Wing, right?

I hope this could be a stepping stone to a fully-fledged remake of X-Wing, Tie Fighter, and/or X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter.

Well, it's cool but there's no use going beyond a tech demo, Lucasfilm would strike it down.

Deleted member 6562

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haus of Bevis just got a major update/finale. Looking at the comments on it, it seems it got moderated and wasn't playable for a bit?

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Haus of Bevis just got a major update/finale. Looking at the comments on it, it seems it got moderated and wasn't playable for a bit?
Yeah, the moderation is done externally from Media Molecule, by Sony. Haus of Bevis has already been shown off on stream and everyone at Mm loves it. They had to contact Sony over the weekend to get the Dream reinstated. There's more details in this Reddit thread: https://old.reddit.com/r/PS4Dreams/comments/bso5f3/haus_of_bevis_is_burning/

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, I'm aware of the tech/concepts behind it (SDFs and such). Was just hoping there was a shorthand for editing polygonal primitives (i.e. sharp edged shapes). I couldn't find an easy way to create non-right triangles without doing it by hand by subtracting triangles and squares.
Not yet, this is one of my biggest asks

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Yeah, the moderation is done externally from Media Molecule, by Sony. Haus of Bevis has already been shown off on stream and everyone at Mm loves it. They had to contact Sony over the weekend to get the Dream reinstated. There's more details in this Reddit thread: https://old.reddit.com/r/PS4Dreams/comments/bso5f3/haus_of_bevis_is_burning/

Good thing it was solved, Haus of Bevis was one of my favorite dreams and if this kind of censorship continues in the future will be very bad for the game. I think in the future, Dreams will really need a mature filter so we can have more elaborated dreams and creators don't need to be afraid to have their work deleted just because of a naked body.

Sumasshu1

Oct 27, 2017
I finally published the game I've been working on since the Early Access started.
Dreams: Fighting with Puzzles
indreams.me

Puzzles of Conflict

A complete reimagining of a classic puzzle game. Match colors, destroy blocks, vanquish your foe. Chain blocks together to get a high score.dpadl move, crosscircle rotate

Essentially a Puzzle Fighter like game with custom characters and levels. This has been a dream of mine since LBP3, but I couldn't do it due to thermo issues. (I still am running into thermo issues, which is why there's no 2player mode yet, but at least single player is possible. :) )
I'll post a video later when I can get back to the house.

I've got to keep improving it, but last night I figured it got to a good enough state where I could start showing it off.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Audio effects noise box created in Dreams. It's astonishing that this level of audio manipulation is available.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a logic question for you all. I want to update my game from Beta:

In order to makes it easier for the player to find the next grass hoop, I want to add an objective marker at a certain point. Basically an icon that moves along the edges of the screen depending on the direction of the objective relative to the camera. If it is in front of where you're looking, it should be at the center of the upper edge, if it's behind you, it should be at the center of the lower edge.

- How do I get the angle value of the objective relative to the camera? (I know you can get a transform value from a tag, but I have no idea how to read that.)
- How do I move the icon around the screen, using that value? (The only idea I have is to blend the UI position between several key frames on a timeline, but there's probably a less convoluted way?)

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking, once we have a couple of showcases we should make a common thread on the regular forum. I think it should be good discussion where we can actually prove that you can make complete (if short) games.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Geez. I've got to figure out how to get graphics thermo under control. I'm working on an interior space, have quite a bit to go, and I'm already at 70%+ on it. I've made sure detail is low on most things, and I'm using clones as often as possible. No clue what's causing it.

Oct 26, 2017
Geez. I've got to figure out how to get graphics thermo under control. I'm working on an interior space, have quite a bit to go, and I'm already at 70%+ on it. I've made sure detail is low on most things, and I'm using clones as often as possible. No clue what's causing it.

Are you using the optimization tool to turn down the fleck density on all items? You can check for red items (which take up the most thermo) and reduce them. I think the thermo is basically the limit on how many flecks the engine can render at once (which is obviously a HUGE amount). It's not really a question of detail (more modelling) but how dense each model is. Unless you're going to see it up close, you can turn it down pretty far. It's kind of like JPEG compression.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Are you using the optimization tool to turn down the fleck density on all items? You can check for red items (which take up the most thermo) and reduce them. I think the thermo is basically the limit on how many flecks the engine can render at once (which is obviously a HUGE amount). It's not really a question of detail (more modelling) but how dense each model is. Unless you're going to see it up close, you can turn it down pretty far. It's kind of like JPEG compression.

Not sure what the tool itself is called, but it sounds the same. It's the far-right option in the main "tools" section, and, yes, when I select it it turns everything shades of blue to red (red having the most detail). I have almost everything in the blue "spectrum" of detail. Does looseness affect the graphics thermo?

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
So, my graphic thermo is at 17%, then suddenly i just active clone some more rocky stuff, that i already have a lot in the level, and it says +84% so i undo and i realize any thing i clone now gives me +84% to reach 100%. I restart the scene then i can clone something for free again, then the one after that, +84%... wtf ?

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
So, my graphic thermo is at 17%, then suddenly i just active clone some more rocky stuff, that i already have a lot in the level, and it says +84% so i undo and i realize any thing i clone now gives me +84% to reach 100%. I restart the scene then i can clone something for free again, then the one after that, +84%... wtf ?
You have probably hit one of the other limits, e.g. a limit to the amount of paint strokes.

If you hover over the thermometer it should tell you what has gone wrong

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
You have probably hit one of the other limits, e.g. a limit to the amount of paint strokes.

If you hover over the thermometer it should tell you what has gone wrong

Maybe then ? hmm that's weird, looks like a bug cause it appears sometimes and sometimes not. Like.. I'll wait a little or save and come back and i'll be able to add new stuff..
Ihad some paint strokes as specular rain reflection on all the rocks so i removed some but it still appears randomly sometimes.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

The stuff I'm seeing from Dreams day after day on Twitter is amazing. I need to carve out more time at the weekend for it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone take a look at the new jam topic? At work all day and it sounds like it's a good'un

Dyllan Price

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope today MM Jam is better then the last 2. The last two have been underwhelming for me, they didn't really create anything.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing something obvious for why having a Mover try to move my puppet doesn't actually move it? It does move an arbitrary cube I've placed in the scene. Is it because I'm possessing the puppet?

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

The stuff I'm seeing from Dreams day after day on Twitter is amazing. I need to carve out more time at the weekend for it.

Wow, that's gorgeous.

I am so swamped at work that I've had barely any time with the EA, and the rate of everyone's progress feels like every day I'm not using it I get about 1 week behind everyone else.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
i'm a bit intimidated. i'm not very good at art but I want to buy this and create my own Simba in it.....

....can I do that? how good are the tools?

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I try to research for my scoring system but man it's going to be too much for me again -__- it involves too much actual logic gadgets!

I need 2 steps, but the first one is not that complicated (except for me). I need to have the score of each pick up to be progressive, +10, +20, +30 etc.. and to be able to turn that off and on depending on a keyframe! The score modifier gadget deosn't let me do that by itself i seems unfortunatly!

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I try to research for my scoring system but man it's going to be too much for me again -__- it involves too much actual logic gadgets!

I need 2 steps, but the first one is not that complicated (except for me). I need to have the score of each pick up to be progressive, +10, +20, +30 etc.. and to be able to turn that off and on depending on a keyframe! The score modifier gadget deosn't let me do that by itself i seems unfortunatly!
If you provide some more detail about how the scoring needs to work then I'd be happy to whip something up for you. Just yesterday I finished a system with 9 scoreboards, which had to be only 3 active at a time and remembered your best score from previous sessions.

Turning logic on and off via a keyframe should be simple; I'd recommend using the keyframe to turn off a microchip.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
If you provide some more detail about how the scoring needs to work then I'd be happy to whip something up for you. Just yesterday I finished a system with 9 scoreboards, which had to be only 3 active at a time and remembered your best score from previous sessions.

Turning logic on and off via a keyframe should be simple; I'd recommend using the keyframe to turn off a microchip.

Yes turning the thing on and off is the easy part :p That would be great thx!

So, the details.

The game has picks up that change every 3 seconds. (I did a video back then)

So it's done with a keyframe already.
The first step is simple. When you take many pick ups in the blue phase, it gives you more and more points, so you need to hurry and take risks to do that. The multiplier reboots when each blue phase stops.

There is a tricky second part. There is a flash at the start of the blue phase, and if you take the first pick up during those 4-5 frames, then the multiplier doesn't reboot, but goes on where it stopped at the last blue phase (so that works only for the next blue phase, not the one after that, it has to be a series)

So basically, let me try to schematize that.

[blue] 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 [red] ... [blue] 10, 20, 30 etc...

[blue] 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 [red] ... [blue] [flash bonus!] 70, 80, 90 etc...

It can accumulate as long as the player continues hitting the flash phase every next blue phase.
Not sure this is clear :p
Of course if you die by hitting the pick up in the red phase it stops everything.

Last edited:

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Yes turning the thing on and off is the easy way :p That would be great thx!

So, the details.

The game has picks up that change every 3 seconds. (I did a video back then)

So it's done with a keyframe already.
The first step is simple. When you take many pick ups in the blue phase, it gives you more and more points, so you need to hurry and take risks to do that. The multiplier reboots when each blue phase stops.

There is a tricky second part. There is a flash at the start of the blue phase, and if you take the first pick up during those 4-5 frames, then the multiplier doesn't reboot, but goes on where it stopped at the last blue phase (so that works only for the next blue phase, not the one after that, it has to be a series)

So basically, let me try to schematize that.

[blue] 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 [red] ... [blue] 10, 20, 30 etc...

[blue] 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 [red] ... [blue] [flash bonus!] 70, 80, 90 etc...

It can accumulate as long as the player continues hitting the flash phase every next blue phase.
Not sure this is clear :p
Of course if you die by hitting the pick up in the red phase it stops everything.

OK, setting up the bonus shouldn't be difficult. In principle, you want to have a Score Modifier with a base score of 10. You then need to use a Calculator gadget to add 10 to the Score Modifier every time you get a blue pickup, then add to the total of the main Score gadget. If you get a red pickup, or you're too late with the blue, then the Score Modifier should be reset back to 10.

You might want to link whatever logic you're using to enable the keyframes and convert the output signals to pulses, to make compatible with the scoring system.

Last edited:

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
OK, setting up the bonus shouldn't be difficult. In principle, you want to have a Score Modifier with a base score of 10. You then need to use a Calculator gadget to add 10 to the Score Modifier every time you get a blue pickup, then add the total of the main Score gadget. If you get a red pickup, or you're too late with the blue, then the Score Modifier should be reset back to 10.

You might want to link whatever logic you're using to enable the keyframes and convert the output signals to pulses, to make compatible with the scoring system.

Thx! I'll try to experiment with that then :p

Oct 26, 2017
i'm a bit intimidated. i'm not very good at art but I want to buy this and create my own Simba in it.....

....can I do that? how good are the tools?

The tools are definitely good enough. You can model a very believable Simba and animate it entirely with keyframes. It will be really hard though, especially the animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.