• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Controller Preference

• Only used DS4

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Only used Move

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Used both, prefer DS4

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Used both, prefer Move

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Used both, like them equally

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
I checked it out for 5 minutes this morning. The new Autosurf options weren't immediately obvious, seemed to be the same as before.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Has anybody noticed any difference with the fog range? The background for my intro used to be pitch black but since the update it's a foggy mess and I cant seem to do anything about it.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
I feel like puppet movement is different. My puppet keeps getting caught on things that weren't there before and staying stationary for a few seconds before moving in a new direction. Anyone else experienced this?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Value entry for sliders is glorious.

Has anybody noticed any difference with the fog range? The background for my intro used to be pitch black but since the update it's a foggy mess and I cant seem to do anything about it.

Still seems okay on my creations (many of which have maximum fog distance).

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Dreams Era. I've run into a wall with my creation that I'd really appreciate some input with. I'm creating a tile based game where if two tiles of the same colour are selected, they will be destroyed and the player gets some pounts. By all accounts, this should be an easy to make game but I have an issue that's preventing me from even getting started with making this.

I have two states for each tile - on and off. When on, a white border appears around the tile signalling it has been selected and a counter to check whether two have been selected is increased by one. When the counter reaches 2, all currently selected tiles are destroyed and points are awarded. This all works perfectly but the problem comes from actually getting the damned counter to 2! When no tiles are active, selecting one of them correctly icreases the count to 1. However once any single tile is selected and the counter is one - the counter refused to go up ever again! So I can select as many tiles of the same colour and it stays at 1. Meanwhile, if I have no tiles selected and use an alternate means to bump up the counter to 2, selecting any tiles afterwards will insstantly destroy them showing the rest of the system works as intended.

I'm hoping this is an easy to understand problem with a quick fix that is goign over my head but if not, I can provide images to help visualise what the set up looks like and what method I've chosen. FWIW, I've tried 2 seperate set ups - one with direct wiring and one with wirless communications and they both end up with the same result. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Hey Dreams Era. I've run into a wall with my creation that I'd really appreciate some input with. I'm creating a tile based game where if two tiles of the same colour are selected, they will be destroyed and the player gets some pounts. By all accounts, this should be an easy to make game but I have an issue that's preventing me from even getting started with making this.

I have two states for each tile - on and off. When on, a white border appears around the tile signalling it has been selected and a counter to check whether two have been selected is increased by one. When the counter reaches 2, all currently selected tiles are destroyed and points are awarded. This all works perfectly but the problem comes from actually getting the damned counter to 2! When no tiles are active, selecting one of them correctly icreases the count to 1. However once any single tile is selected and the counter is one - the counter refused to go up ever again! So I can select as many tiles of the same colour and it stays at 1. Meanwhile, if I have no tiles selected and use an alternate means to bump up the counter to 2, selecting any tiles afterwards will insstantly destroy them showing the rest of the system works as intended.

I'm hoping this is an easy to understand problem with a quick fix that is goign over my head but if not, I can provide images to help visualise what the set up looks like and what method I've chosen. FWIW, I've tried 2 seperate set ups - one with direct wiring and one with wirless communications and they both end up with the same result. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
I've got a feeling that this may be related to the selected tiles sending a continuous signal into the counter. If this is the case then all you need to do is use a Signal Manipulator after the 'when selected' output for each tile to convert the signal to a pulse.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a feeling that this may be related to the selected tiles sending a continuous signal into the counter. If this is the case then all you need to do is use a Signal Manipulator after the 'when selected' output for each tile to convert the signal to a pulse.

Yep, it was really as simple as that. Thank you so much!

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Value entry for sliders is glorious.

Still seems okay on my creations (many of which have maximum fog distance).

I'm thinking it wasnt the fog range that changed. I was able to fix the issue by messing with the brightness and shadow color in the grade and effects gadget and turning down the glow on certain objects. Still strange though...

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone tried the new characters?

This donut dude "Russ" can blow a funnel of air which can push other objects. There's a lot of logic too that I don't understand?

FOUAqpy.jpg

TmCdWTQ.jpg

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how to make multiple doorways work in a scene from a position perspective? For example, I have a room with doorways to different scenes on either side. Depending on which one I enter from, the possessed puppet should be standing in front of a different doorway

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Replying to mezentine (quote didnt work for some reason):

I used variables and a teleporter. Basically, when you activate a doorway, it modifies the door variable to a number corresponding to that specific door. Then I have a tag in front of each door that only powers on when the variable equals the value for that door. Lastly, I have a teleporter on my main character that briefly powers on everytime the scene begins, teleports him to the appropriate tag, then powers off.

Oct 26, 2017
I just stumbled across a really, really polished demo called Pati's Story. Check it out! The way they do transitions to interiors is INSANE!

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Replying to mezentine (quote didnt work for some reason):

I used variables and a teleporter. Basically, when you activate a doorway, it modifies the door variable to a number corresponding to that specific door. Then I have a tag in front of each door that only powers on when the variable equals the value for that door. Lastly, I have a teleporter on my main character that briefly powers on everytime the scene begins, teleports him to the appropriate tag, then powers off.
Ah perfect, thank you! How do you pulse power to the teleporter? Or I guess, how do you start something when the scene begins?

I'm currently trying piping the entry pulse from my Doors into a Transmitter but it doesn't seem to be triggering when I enter through the Door, possibly because the Door isn't...powered?

Last edited:

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Ah perfect, thank you! How do you pulse power to the teleporter? Or I guess, how do you start something when the scene begins?

I'm currently trying piping the entry pulse from my Doors into a Transmitter but it doesn't seem to be triggering when I enter through the Door, possibly because the Door isn't...powered?

If you have a door marked as an entrance you should be able to wire its 'just activated' output into a wireless transmitter then have a wireless receiver wired to the teleporter

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a door marked as an entrance you should be able to wire its 'just activated' output into a wireless transmitter then have a wireless receiver wired to the teleporter
I think my problem is with the tag actually? I've confirmed the variable leading into this panel is working properly, but then I never get Tag Active to flash, which is very weird

D8pk5SUWwAESJpq.jpg

EDIT: I have no idea how, but I fucked up my Equal calculator somehow, deleting it and resetting it completely fixed the issue lol

Last edited:

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
So heres another question lol: is there a way to adjust shadow intensity? I want to keep shadows on, but they make interior spaces too dark

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think my problem is with the tag actually? I've confirmed the variable leading into this panel is working properly, but then I never get Tag Active to flash, which is very weird

D8pk5SUWwAESJpq.jpg

EDIT: I have no idea how, but I fucked up my Equal calculator somehow, deleting it and resetting it completely fixed the issue lol
calculators are weirdly glitched and i dont really know what makes it happen. ive had it mess up while working on a puppet and deleting and undoing the deletion fixes it every time.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
So heres another question lol: is there a way to adjust shadow intensity? I want to keep shadows on, but they make interior spaces too dark

You can adjust the shadow tint with the 'grade and effects' gadget. I'm not sure if that will help but there's settings for brightness and contrast in the same gadget. One of those (or some combination) should do it.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Whew it took maybe eight hours this weekend but I made significant progress on the interior of my windmill

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Collected all the shape characters. They all have different "powers", (L-R: turns into marble, ground blast, emits hexagon platforms, blows funnel of air) could definitely make a Lost Vikings style game with these guys.

IHhwOOP.jpg

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017

D8pk5SUWwAESJpq.jpg

calculators are weirdly glitched and i dont really know what makes it happen. ive had it mess up while working on a puppet and deleting and undoing the deletion fixes it every time.
It's most likely a wire mode issue. Press l1 + X on the input tab of the tweak menu. With calculators, you generally want it to be set to Overwrite mode because that will simply use the number you wired in as-is.

Deleting and rebuilding the gadget will reset the wire mode back to default, hence why it might start working again.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
BTW, I recently released a large update to my silly Forklift game:

- 2 extra stages
- silly new cutscene
- High score tables
- 3 Star scoring system per level
- Bunch of small improvements and bug fixes
- Ending screen

Adding this seemingly minor stuff took a lot longer than i anticipated. It's true what they say about the last 10%.

On to my next Dreams project!
My next game is in the fun, rapidly-coming-together stage.

The concept behind it is that It's going to be an homage to the old DOS game Skyroads. I have a prototype level up and running and I'm tweaking the vehicle physics (they are already a significant improvement on my previous efforts at vehicle controls!). For the art style I'm taking notes from Daytona USA and that first level in Sonic Adventure 1 - Impossibly blue skies and blinding white clouds.

What are yall working on now?

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
The concept behind it is that It's going to be an homage to the old DOS game Skyroads.
Holy shit, I thought I was the only one who remembered that game! Used to play it all the time in the school computer lab back in the day.

Good luck on your efforts! I hope the insanely frustrating (CHEAP!) difficulty isn't one of your inspirations :p

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, I thought I was the only one who remembered that game! Used to play it all the time in the school computer lab back in the day.

Good luck on your efforts! I hope the insanely frustrating (CHEAP!) difficulty isn't one of your inspirations :p
Haha that's awesome.

To be honest I don't think I ever progressed that far into the game due to the fact that I only had the shareware version, and so I only had access to a few stages.

I do remember some sequences of really tricky jumps though! I'll definitely try to avoid the frustration that comes with having to repeat large sections of the levels, perhaps by just simply making the stages really short :)

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
they said that whenever the mini patch is out the whole recentering of the imp warning will be resolved then maybe possibly.

John has been working on his Drill even more. hes doing the internal details down to the wires and all. he'll be releasing it soon when its done.

Last edited:

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
how do i reset my enemies if one kills me? i know how to get the enemy's health to reset when i die but i dont know how to get it back the way it was before i came in the room

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
how do i reset my enemies if one kills me? i know how to get the enemy's health to reset when i die but i dont know how to get it back the way it was before i came in the room
Not sure if there's a better way, but I'd probably use the emitter gadget to spawn the enemy. Then you can just destroy the enemy when the player dies, but have a fresh enemy be emitted when you re-enter the room.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017

MM's Ed's game

Rogue State
Username: ED-209B

The real cyberpunk game you've all been anticipating.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
In case you missed it. Community Jam had John using the lovely assets made by Maja, and used the FPS template as a base and he was joined in by One of MM's Animation Team Pablo who created a cute and simple animated dinosaur from scratch.

Oct 26, 2017
BTW, I recently released a large update to my silly Forklift game:

- 2 extra stages
- silly new cutscene
- High score tables
- 3 Star scoring system per level
- Bunch of small improvements and bug fixes
- Ending screen

Adding this seemingly minor stuff took a lot longer than i anticipated. It's true what they say about the last 10%.

On to my next Dreams project!
My next game is in the fun, rapidly-coming-together stage.

The concept behind it is that It's going to be an homage to the old DOS game Skyroads. I have a prototype level up and running and I'm tweaking the vehicle physics (they are already a significant improvement on my previous efforts at vehicle controls!). For the art style I'm taking notes from Daytona USA and that first level in Sonic Adventure 1 - Impossibly blue skies and blinding white clouds.

What are yall working on now?

That's awesome, I loved Skyroads. I remember there being both a EGA and a VGA version of it.

I'm trying to make a detailed player character. It's pretty tough, especially making good animations. I think I'd rather keyframe everything since the automatic animations tend to mess up, but then there's a lot to replace.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I finally started doing the tutorials today and I'm really enjoying it but is there a trick to prevent the Dualshock 4 to constantly drift? I feel like I have to recenter it every 2 minutes or so... Really annoying.

Is it better when using the Moves (in general I mean, not just for the drifting)? Haven't tried those yet.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I finally started doing the tutorials today and I'm really enjoying it but is there a trick to prevent the Dualshock 4 to constantly drift? I feel like I have to recenter it every 2 minutes or so... Really annoying.
There's two things this could be, one is the software bug that causes the imp to move even while the DS4 is stationary (e.g. the imp moves to the left when your DS4 is resting on a table), and the other comes down to getting used to how the imp behaves.

Software bug:
Just last week the devs found the cause of the issue and intend to patch it soon.

Some have said that you can temporarily fix it by switching the controller off and then resyncing it. Some have said that it helps if you turn the imp sensitivity down a few notches.

Getting used to normal imp behaviour:
One thing that took a bit for me to get used to was the fact that if you press the imp against the sides of the screen, you are actually re calibrating (or recentering) the imp on the fly. You can of course recenter the imp by holding down options whilst having the controller in a neutral position, but the better and quicker option is to re-calibrate the imp by pushing it against the sides of the screen once again. You can make fine adjustments really quickly this way.

e.g. You press the imp against the right side of the screen which causes the imp to be way to the left of the screen when you return your hands to a neutral position. To fix this you press your imp to the left of the screen for a a bit, which makes the neutral hand position once again be back in the center.

The design of this is clearly somewhat unintuitive, but It's also very intentional and I think that ultimately it was the right call. People don't hold their controllers entirely in a single neutral position throughout a session, and so being able to frequently make fine calibration adjustments was always going to be necessary.

It's the motion control equivalent of lifting your mouse off the mousepad and placing it back in the centre. Similar to when you use a mouse, this constant recalibration becomes second nature after a while.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
There's two things this could be, one is the software bug that causes the imp to move even while the DS4 is stationary (e.g. the imp moves to the left when your DS4 is resting on a table), and the other comes down to getting used to how the imp behaves.

Software bug:
Just last week the devs found the cause of the issue and intend to patch it soon.

Some have said that you can temporarily fix it by switching the controller off and then resyncing it. Some have said that it helps if you turn the imp sensitivity down a few notches.

Getting used to normal imp behaviour:
One thing that took a bit for me to get used to was the fact that if you press the imp against the sides of the screen, you are actually re calibrating (or recentering) the imp on the fly. You can of course recenter the imp by holding down options whilst having the controller in a neutral position, but the better and quicker option is to re-calibrate the imp by pushing it against the sides of the screen once again. You can make fine adjustments really quickly this way.

e.g. You press the imp against the right side of the screen which causes the imp to be way to the left of the screen when you return your hands to a neutral position. To fix this you press your imp to the left of the screen for a a bit, which makes the neutral hand position once again be back in the center.

The design of this is clearly somewhat unintuitive, but It's also very intentional and I think that ultimately it was the right call. People don't hold their controllers entirely in a single neutral position throughout a session, and so being able to frequently make fine calibration adjustments was always going to be necessary.

It's the motion control equivalent of lifting your mouse off the mousepad and placing it back in the centre. Similar to when you use a mouse, this constant recalibration becomes second nature after a while.
Cool thanks for the info!

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017

v1.04 "East Friesian" Update is out

What's New?
  • Mm Picks - In this collection, you'll find some of our favourite creations, which we at Media Molecule have hand-picked as the very best examples of what's possible in Dreams. Mm Picks can be found in the Dream Surfing section of the Dreamiverse.
Other Improvements
  • Updated: Added new Filters and Sort orders to Search to help you find more of the dreams you want.
  • Updated: Added additional information to Search results, to help you see what dreams you've already played, and which ones have been updated recently.
  • Updated: When the "re-centre your imp" reminder appears, so that it's not as frequent (there will be an option in a future update to turn it off completely).
  • Updated: Added some subtle movement to the Early Access watermark, to avoid potential screen burn on some TVs.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, more discoverability changes. Have been a little deflated by the discoverability situation of late, hopefully this improves things.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Hey, been silent for a while but i'm progressing on my second game, that'll i finish hopfully :p (I'll fidn a way to finish little jump to)

Logic and concept work pretty fine for now, but it's going to be challenging to design level that are not too hard. i'll have to be more progressive than with little jump! At least it's 2d!

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Hey, been silent for a while but i'm progressing on my second game, that'll i finish hopfully :p (I'll fidn a way to finish little jump to)

Logic and concept work pretty fine for now, but it's going to be challenging to design level that are not too hard. i'll have to be more progressive than with little jump! At least it's 2d!

It's looking good! Were you able to get all the scoring logic implemented?

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
It's looking good! Were you able to get all the pickup logic implemented?

Thx, yeah the guy who's credited in the vid is helping me! Having the pick up switching was almost done but having the scoring system was challenging.

Blue pick ups gives +10 as long as it's the blue phase, and there is a X2 bonus when taking the first one in the 5 first frames of the blue phase (that is super risky cause you have to anticipate). So the main logic of the game is here, now that's a lot of writing, creating the graphics, the music, the levels lol.. I'll have an intro and a map for this one it's going to be more like a real game!

Status
Not open for further replies.