• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Controller Preference

• Only used DS4

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Only used Move

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Used both, prefer DS4

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Used both, prefer Move

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Used both, like them equally

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
My city design is complete. I just hope I've calculated the thermo requirements correctly to make all the buildings interactive. I still need to add fog and change the lighting/grade, however the performance is currently very smooth on a base PS4.

illuminate56jnr.jpeg

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I finally finished Cubric and I'm really happy with how it turned out. For a long time it felt like it wasn't going to come together as well as I'd hoped, but in the last week I managed to solve a bunch of issues I'd been working on since the beta and now I can say that it's basically 98% how I envisioned it. I made a trailer for it:

It's out now. The feedback's been very positive so far but I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Finally got around to trying it and damn, this legit could be a $15 indie game. Fantastic work.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Ooo what is this? Looks cool
It's my city jam entry, called 'Illuminate'. The best comparison I can think of, in terms of gameplay, is lightgun games such as Time Crisis. The camera will move on a fixed path, while at the same time you hover your Imp over buildings to light them up (with randomised colours).

Atmosphere will hopefully play an important part. The city starts all greyed out with smog (fog gadget) and cloudy depressing skies. As the player lights up buildings, the mood of the level will improve, eventually making everything bright and sunny. Ideally I want some music which encapsulates the change in atmosphere and builds up to an epic finale as the camera gets faster and faster, although I'll have to see what's available on the Dreamiverse.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
It's my city jam entry, called 'Illuminate'. The best comparison I can think of, in terms of gameplay, is lightgun games such as Time Crisis. The camera will move on a fixed path, while at the same time you hover your Imp over buildings to light them up (with randomised colours).

Atmosphere will hopefully play an important part. The city starts all greyed out with smog (fog gadget) and cloudy depressing skies. As the player lights up buildings, the mood of the level will improve, eventually making everything bright and sunny. Ideally I want some music which encapsulates the change in atmosphere and builds up to an epic finale as the camera gets faster and faster, although I'll have to see what's available on the Dreamiverse.
Sound super unique and cool. Where did the idea come from?

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
So something just crazy happened which made me smile as wide as I could. I was able to take a full on analog synth, this one being my Korg Volca Bass. Hook up my Audio Inerface to my PS4 and actually get the thing recorded in. I am so excited for the possibilities this'll give me! My mind was just so blown and I'm just geeking out talking about it! :D
20190629_234327.jpg

20190629_234333.jpg

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

Love it.

Question for the techinical Dreamers here: I have a turn based game, where the character(puppet) is moving on a grid. I only want it to make 90 degree turns with a button press. What would be the best way to ensure it's absolutely 90 degree every time?
What I have now is a solution where every grid tile has a tag in it's middle and the puppets has a Look-At-Rotator, while this works for 90% of the time it eventually doesn't snap entirely straight and then the puppet goes off the grid.

I was trying something with coordinates of tags and piping that into the puppet rotator, but never got there entirely.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Love it.

Question for the techinical Dreamers here: I have a turn based game, where the character(puppet) is moving on a grid. I only want it to make 90 degree turns with a button press. What would be the best way to ensure it's absolutely 90 degree every time?
What I have now is a solution where every grid tile has a tag in it's middle and the puppets has a Look-At-Rotator, while this works for 90% of the time it eventually doesn't snap entirely straight and then the puppet goes off the grid.

I was trying something with coordinates of tags and piping that into the puppet rotator, but never got there entirely.

I think I'd use a Look-At rotator, but I'd probably send in the direction raw rather than rotating to a tag, which is one of the inputs on its final tab. There are four possible directions, so I'd probably wire them into a selector, wire all the selector outputs into said direction input (make sure to turn on the selector toggle which tells it to pass through the values), and then you can just use the previous/next input on the selector to make your 90 degree turns. In truth I'm not sure why you'd have the problem you were mentioning though, so it's possible this won't solve it? Not all that experienced using rotators on puppets. Either approach would work fine on a standard sculpt in my experience.

Ralph

Oct 27, 2017
Love it.

Use key frames, turn on the grid to rotate them to the position you want them to be. Make a keyframe for each rotation and activate them depending on whichever direction you want.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I think I'd use a Look-At rotator, but I'd probably send in the direction raw rather than rotating to a tag, which is one of the inputs on its final tab. There are four possible directions, so I'd probably wire them into a selector, wire all the selector outputs into said direction input (make sure to turn on the selector toggle which tells it to pass through the values), and then you can just use the previous/next input on the selector to make your 90 degree turns. In truth I'm not sure why you'd have the problem you were mentioning though, so it's possible this won't solve it? Not all that experienced using rotators on puppets. Either approach would work fine on a standard sculpt in my experience.

Thanks a lot I'll try it.

Use key frames, turn on the grid to rotate them to the position you want them to be. Make a keyframe for each rotation and activate them depending on whichever direction you want.

Good suggestion. I actually tried it with keyframes first, but it doesn't only record the rotation, but also the position. So it snaps back to another tile when activated.

Sumasshu1

Oct 27, 2017
Good suggestion. I actually tried it with keyframes first, but it doesn't only record the rotation, but also the position. So it snaps back to another tile when activated.
I used keyframes for rotation in Puzzles of Conflict, but physically separated it from the position by creating two objects and having the rotation object follow the position object very quickly. Obviously only works in certain types of games. (See the creation "Grid Based Movement and Rotation"). If we could specify transforms to the teleporter we wouldn't have to do these hacks. I'm hoping MM adds that functionality.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The creator of the captain shadow character has been quietly releasing videos of other stuff on his youtube channel:

Hopefully his stuff will be remix-able at some point because there're currently loads of 3d platformers that could benefit from these slightly weightier physics.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
The creator of the captain shadow character has been quietly releasing videos of other stuff on his youtube channel:

Hopefully his stuff will be remix-able at some point because there're currently loads of 3d platformers that could benefit from these slightly weightier physics.

That monkey character is already remixable. The logic is terrifying.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder if they'll ever get him on a Tuesday stream. There's some stuff that I would love for them to do

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i finally got around to starting an actual project which happens to be a dice rolling sorta lite RPG. with most games including dice its very RNG. i figure i leave it to the user to actually shake the dice in a cup to give them their rolls.

people have been enjoying Artio.

The reskin has been nice including this.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So something just crazy happened which made me smile as wide as I could. I was able to take a full on analog synth, this one being my Korg Volca Bass. Hook up my Audio Inerface to my PS4 and actually get the thing recorded in. I am so excited for the possibilities this'll give me! My mind was just so blown and I'm just geeking out talking about it! :D
20190629_234327.jpg

20190629_234333.jpg
what's the connection here, a 1/4" to 1/8" cable from the interface into the controller? also off-topic but you don't happen to have a Volca Sample by any chance do you?

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
what's the connection here, a 1/4" to 1/8" cable from the interface into the controller? also off-topic but you don't happen to have a Volca Sample by any chance do you?

Yeah from the interface to the volca it's a 1/4" cable into a 1/8" adapter and into the bass. And Nahh i don't have the volca sample myself. Only the beats and bass right now. Might look into getting a volca FM though

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah from the interface to the volca it's a 1/4" cable into a 1/8" adapter and into the bass. And Nahh i don't have the volca sample myself. Only the beats and bass right now. Might look into getting a volca FM though
awesome, i'd been thinking about trying this but hadn't gotten around to trying it, glad it's that simple. also my two cents: the FM is awesome though the interface is a bit tough, but you can design patches in a DAW and export them if you have a midi interface. if you dig the DX7 sound, go for it :D

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017

I really like Kareem, but his style and taste is the exact opposite of mine so I mostly just find his streams frustrating to watch haha. When I saw that he was going to do an architectural stream I thought it would be cool to see how he goes about making a building, but I should have known it would end up more like an interesting sculpture that vaguely resembles a building.

AmericanKirby

Aug 31, 2018
Inside your house
Did MM change teleporter behavior again while I was gone? Seems like teleporting to tags inside puppets lags by several frames now. Had really good eye-tracking logic on a character that would automatically point the eyes wherever you want with a tag and now the eyeballs trail behind their intended location.

I'm kind of fucked now because I couldn't find a way to automate eye-tracking with bone-based eye movement. And if you try and attach the eyeballs using grouping instead of bones you can't rotate them because movement needs to be disabled for that to work. So teleporting them to tags grouped with the head is really the only way to do it.

Tried finding some information on this but the only mention of teleporter behavior being changed that I could find was between beta and ea (specifically it was teleporter chaining gaining a single frame of lag) which was months before I started my project, so that can't be it.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did MM change teleporter behavior again while I was gone? Seems like teleporting to tags inside puppets lags by several frames now. Had really good eye-tracking logic on a character that would automatically point the eyes wherever you want with a tag and now the eyeballs trail behind their intended location.

I'm kind of fucked now because I couldn't find a way to automate eye-tracking with bone-based eye movement. And if you try and attach the eyeballs using grouping instead of bones you can't rotate them because movement needs to be disabled for that to work. So teleporting them to tags grouped with the head is really the only way to do it.

Tried finding some information on this but the only mention of teleporter behavior being changed that I could find was between beta and ea (specifically it was teleporter chaining gaining a single frame of lag) which was months before I started my project, so that can't be it.

There are definitely things that get changed without informing anyone or posting in the changelog. Which is honestly a pretty terrible move considering how many different ways people are using the ingame logic. For example, persistent variables were first changed so they don't reset with a dream reset unless done manually. And now recently they were changed again that persistent variables are only changed when you leave the scene.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure to tweet Alex Evans.

I should check my midi keyboard will work or not.
I really like Kareem, but his style and taste is the exact opposite of mine so I mostly just find his streams frustrating to watch haha. When I saw that he was going to do an architectural stream I thought it would be cool to see how he goes about making a building, but I should have known it would end up more like an interesting sculpture that vaguely resembles a building.
it somehow always end scifi when he creates even if he tries to stick to modular architectural stuff lol.

AmericanKirby

Aug 31, 2018
Inside your house
There are definitely things that get changed without informing anyone or posting in the changelog. Which is honestly a pretty terrible move considering how many different ways people are using the ingame logic. For example, persistent variables were first changed so they don't reset with a dream reset unless done manually. And now recently they were changed again that persistent variables are only changed when you leave the scene.

Sucks cause now I'm gonna have to try and figure out what's causing the problem myself. Probably not fixable, but there's a chance of fixing it if grouping behavior is the culprit and not the behavior of tags, teleporters, or puppet animation.

Also, I like how the patch notes kept getting vaguer and vaguer until they just stopped posting them on indreams altogether, lol. They really need to be more transparent about this stuff.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I surpassed the wire visibility limit in my jam entry yesterday. Most of the buildings are fully wired up now, at least. This is not the same as the actual wire limit (which is quite a bit higher).

Setting up new logic is quite a challenge, because I can't see most wires and I can only remove them if I use undo, or delete gadgets. Everything still works perfectly if I mentally plan out my wire connections beforehand, and the logic I still need to add isn't too complex. I'm in too deep to turn back now...

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I surpassed the wire visibility limit in my jam entry yesterday. Most of the buildings are fully wired up now, at least. This is not the same as the actual wire limit (which is quite a bit higher).

Setting up new logic is quite a challenge, because I can't see most wires and I can only remove them if I use undo, or delete gadgets. Everything still works perfectly if I mentally plan out my wire connections beforehand, and the logic I still need to add isn't too complex. I'm in too deep to turn back now...

Yeah I hit that with Game of Life and it's really painful because it manifests in really strange ways too. It's such an odd issue, feels like something they should be able to fix really.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I kinda want to see a WIP of it now lol
I'm on the hunt for appropriate music from the Dreamiverse currently, but i can take a screenshot later with most of the stuff illuminated.

EDIT: I've finally found a track that I think will work. It's not been used in any other creation, so it'll sound unique (I've also made a few edits).

It's not quite the style I envisioned (I wanted something more heavily string based) although it suits the tonal shift that I wanted fairly well.

Last edited:

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Has anyone tried this Sonic level yet? It's not finished but so far my favorite yet. Physics are good and art style is spot on.

Also this Crash game is the best I've played so far and has working bosses and good physics!

Madman009

Oct 27, 2017

So I have no fucking clue how to do what he did after looking deeper into his logic on that monkey but I VOW to have my main character control,feel and animate as well as that by the end because GOD DAMN is that good lol, also speaking of I figured I'd take a couple more progress screens for ya'll since it's been a minute since i posted those first few.

Still a metric ton of shit to do but I'm making steady progress and I was kinda prepared for this to take me months when I started it and I keep adding to it as I learn so this is gonna take a hot minute haha.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
no streams next week because some of the members are going to events, doing speeches, and they got renovations at the office.
Bogdan will be on the following week.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
illuminate-thefogdeswtk1x.jpeg

I'm starting to get the first snail indicators, although framerate is still good in play mode (on a standard PS4). Setting up those cranes cost 5% gameplay thermo each, and there's 5 of them...

Status
Not open for further replies.