• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Controller Preference

• Only used DS4

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Only used Move

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Used both, prefer DS4

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Used both, prefer Move

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Used both, like them equally

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
They played Cubric on the stream. I know it's not exciting for anyone else, but it made my day! Hopefully it gets more people to check it out.

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, I need help with animations again.

I've removed the procedural animation and I'm building a purely hand animated run cycle. Now, I had it all figured out. I added a keyframe that tilted the entire figure and turned her head forwards to add the overall pose (her upper body is fairly static since she's holding a sword). Then I added a cycle of leg positions. Then I added secondary animation to have the arms bob a bit. Then I added secondary animation to bob the entire figure up and down for each step.

However, when I run this animation she's locked in place. It only moves her around when I remove the pose keyframe. So somehow it's also recording her position in the world and keeping it set there. Is there any way to tilt the entire figure without also doing this? I just want to record her rotation.

Edit: I might have found the solution. I was hiding the waist part since it's inside her armor anyway, but it turns out that you can rotate just that and it seems to work so far. If I can just rotate the hip part and rebuild my animations from there I should be fine.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Status update: I managed to get most of the animations working. Running works, it just needs some better timing. Attack animation is wonky so I probably need to turn off some other timeline that is running concurrently. She can jump and has an idle animation. Now I think I will try out some specific motions for a game I had in mind for her. Oh, and as you can see I need to shift her idle pose a bit higher so she isn't clipping the ground. I dread how much will break once I do that...

18662193_23.jpg

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Also sorry for the double post but trying to make platformers on Dreams made me appreciate actual platformers much more. Good and engaging level design is incredibly hard.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I'm officially into the final stretch of my jam creation. The logic and gameplay events are 99.9% done, so all I have left to do is keyframe the camera movement on a timeline.

I thought the jam ended tonight, although it seems to actually be tomorrow (Monday night), which thankfully gives me some extra time to polish the camera flow.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm officially into the final stretch of my jam creation. The logic and gameplay events are 99.9% done, so all I have left to do is keyframe the camera movement on a timeline.

I thought the jam ended tonight, although it seems to actually be tomorrow (Monday night), which thankfully gives me some extra time to polish the camera flow.

Do we get a sneak peek?

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
Everyones stuff sure is looking awesome!
Ive fallen behind on the updates ill dedicate some over night bandwidth to it soon!, And I still need to spend way more time working with art. Ive basically been setting up Reboot like environments and working on logic all this time. One curiosity begets another begets another. i will start making games as soon as i finish all these logic widgets I promise! I still have quite a few areas i haven't explored at all, i have no clue how variables carry over from scene to scene. But ive got a few variations on projectile logic. I like to watch things play out so i find myself trying to work out different modes of pathfinding logic alot too.
Something i havent been able to figure out
If im restricting movement to x and z and i get moved in y how do i restore that object back to the original y position?
Edit: or just basically how do you check things are where they should be and get them back there?

Last edited:

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
OK, I've just seen some videos of The Stanley Parable remake in Dreams. It's absurd; they've basically remade the whole game (or most of it).

I'm not a massive fan of of direct recreations in Dreams, however this one goes above and beyond the quality of all others I've seen.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017

This actually looks nice. Haven't seen much effect tutorials

Gah, this is why my games suffer from scope creep, that effect would be perfect in my game...

the actual theme is "Summer Festivals"

heres hoping new music. lol

Hmm, I wonder how close you have to stick to the theme in order to do well in these things. My current WIP game is coincidentally quite summery, but it doesn't have much to do with festivals.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Gah, this is why my games suffer from scope creep, that effect would be perfect in my game...

Hmm, I wonder how close you have to stick to the theme in order to do well in these things. My current WIP game is coincidentally quite summery, but it doesn't have much to do with festivals.
Just add dozen more characters and put flower crowns on them and add music :p

i don't think this was posted yet. seen it, haven't played. people from MM talked about it.

Last edited:

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
So obviously there's been no word on it yet, but if you HAD to guess, when do you think Dreams will be fully released?

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I've been going through a lot of jam entries today, because this is the first one I've entered. I don't know if it's just an issue on my end, but I'm not getting the option to vote for entries if the Scene/Dream ends organically (ie. you don't need to use the pause menu to exit it). This is particularly an issue if this happens on the 4th entry on the list, because there's no way to go back to vote for it when you reach the 5th entry.

Twice tonight I wanted to vote for a creation, but couldn't go back because the scene ended automatically and I was moved to the 5th entry from the list.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
OK, I've been getting the option to vote for Jam creations, at the end of the scene, today. Maybe it was some kind of weird bug I encountered yesterday? (essentially, the Jam entries were progressing like in Autosurf)

Oct 27, 2017
A look at one of the holes from the mini golf dream I'm making. Got all the mechanics in place, just have to finish making holes. Want to publish it with at least nine, I've got six or seven solid ones atm.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Hey guys, complex technical question here!

So, let's say you want to make a map, and you've got 30 to 40 levels planned.
Now, a door to an other level costs 10% game thermo.. What's the deal with that ??

Is the only way to make a multiple part map ?

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Hey guys, complex technical question here!

So, let's say you want to make a map, and you've got 30 to 40 levels planned.
Now, a door to an other level costs 10% game thermo.. What's the deal with that ??

Is the only way to make a multiple part map ?
Thermo for Doors isn't representative for their actual cost in the level, however you are limited to 10 per Scene currently. This is likely to increase in the future.

You can get past the limit by using variables and having 'spacer' Scenes. For example, you could use one Doorway which can send you to 5 different Scenes. You could have 5 physical exits in the map Scene which activate the same Doorway. Just before the Doorway is activated, the variable should be overwritten with a number, such as 0 to 4 (5 potential values).

The 'spacer' Scene then reads the variable and sends to player to a different Scene, depending on which number was saved. This can happen with logic in a fraction of a second, and it'll just look like a slightly longer loading scene from the player's perspective.

I'm kind of tempted to set up a tech demo Dream with a hub Scene of 40 exits now, however it's going to lead to a massive number of scenes saved in my profile...

Last edited:

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Thermo for Doors isn't representative for their actual cost in the level, however you are limited to 10 per Scene currently. This is likely to increase in the future.

You can get past the limit by using variables and having 'spacer' Scenes. For example, you could use one Doorway which can send you to 5 different Scenes. You could have 5 physical exits in the map Scene which activate the same Doorway. Just before the Doorway is activated, the variable should be overwritten with a number, such as 0 to 4 (5 potential values).

The 'spacer' Scene then reads the variable and sends to player to a different Scene, depending on which number was saved. This can happen with logic in a fraction of a second, and it'll just look like a slightly longer loading scene from the player's perspective.

I'm kind of tempted to set up a tech demo Dream with a hub Scene of 40 exits now, however it's going to lead to a massive number of scenes saved in my profile...

Thx! That's super useful i'll see if that's something we can do!

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
So something just crazy happened which made me smile as wide as I could. I was able to take a full on analog synth, this one being my Korg Volca Bass. Hook up my Audio Inerface to my PS4 and actually get the thing recorded in. I am so excited for the possibilities this'll give me! My mind was just so blown and I'm just geeking out talking about it! :D
20190629_234327.jpg

20190629_234333.jpg
Oh nice! What's the hub or audio input you're using?
It's amazing

but I can't find the 12th key?
In the cave... ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.