• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Controller Preference

• Only used DS4

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Only used Move

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Used both, prefer DS4

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Used both, prefer Move

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Used both, like them equally

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
The thread is lower and lower in the list each week lol, i guess people are working on ambitious stuff and not posting!

Anyway as promised some new feufollet wip with DKC inspired mines! After al there is no reason i can't do what i usually do in an original game :p

Summer heatwave . My PS4 just warms up the room too much 😂

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Gorgeous work as always, Orioto.

I'm working on a series of characters to share with the community. Basically just some realistic humans that won't destroy the thermometer. These are the two I've finished so far.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
The thread is lower and lower in the list each week lol, i guess people are working on ambitious stuff and not posting!
Yep no time for posting here, I'm working hard on making my next game :)

Here's a little preview gif of an old build from quite a few weeks ago (before i had any real levels built):

I have something that is releasable right now but I'm holding off until there's a tad more content. I've got 3.5 levels completed so far, but they are all very short and can be beaten in under 15 seconds if you're really good.

If my playtests ('playtests' = me letting my friend have a go) are anything to go by, it will take players at least half a dozen attempts to get through each level, and so really it's a 10-15 minute experience to get through the whole thing. It's got a kind of Meatboy vibe - the levels are short and deadly but you can very quickly respawn, and so the punishment for death is minimal.

I'm quite happy with how it's turning out really. I built a little star rating system that rewards you more stars for faster times, and I've set the minimum time for a three-star performance to be a fraction of a second slower than what i can do personally. Because of this I've caught myself running through the levels dozens of times trying to shave a few milliseconds off, which is an experience i hope the players will also share! I'd love for there to be a competitive high score table.

I also built a cool (but totally unnecessary) little music player gadget which i will make remixable at some point. It's just a little transparent HUD popup that appears on the bottom left of the screen that tells you what music track is playing and by what artist. It also lets you skip tracks using the dpad. I thought it was a neat way to showcase some of the cool songs I've found on Dreams, and also give the artists credit.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

Anyway as promised some new feufollet wip with DKC inspired mines! After al there is no reason i can't do what i usually do in an original game :p

Dang man, this Feufollet game continues to astound me. Looks incredible.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Gorgeous work as always, Orioto.

I'm working on a series of characters to share with the community. Basically just some realistic humans that won't destroy the thermometer. These are the two I've finished so far.

This is a great idea btw, I can see it being really useful for loads of Dreams.

I might try my hand at some more asset-creation after I'm done with my current game. It's quite relaxing and rewarding.

I'm not artistically talented enough to pull off human puppets, but I'm decent at making props.

My old gas cylinder prop gets a fair bit of use out of the community, which is cool to see.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
So how is Dreams going these days people? I supported it, but haven't had much time to play. I'll be waiting for the community stuff to mature. Are some of the levels making good progress? I think a beta was the best move for this game. Come release it should be pretty amazing I hope.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Update has been deployed

v1.07 ''Red''

Where's the sheep name? We hear you cry! Perhaps you missed the sheep reference altogether and were left confused as to why our updates were even named after sheep. Perhaps you were too busy counting and you fell asleep and entered your own land of beautiful dreams.
Well, despite the fact that we never reached the frankly brilliantly named Manx Loaghtan, count no more because sheep names are so passé. It was all getting a bit confusing at our end, so we've bid farewell to the sheep names. Colours are in! This update marks the start of a new journey of colourfully named updates for Dreams. So on that note, here's our Red update, in which we've been improving the categorisation of dreams, helping discoverability. We now make sure you set categories for our creations when releasing them, to help other dreamers find your wonderful work. We've also greatly improved the logic behind the Similar Creations search, amongst other tweaks and twiddles.

Improvements
  • New: We've added a step to make sure you set a category for a Dream before releasing it.
  • New: The number of players currently playing a Dream is now displayed alongside its other information.
  • Updated: It's now easier to access social features and get back to the Main Menu quickly from the Options Menu.
  • Updated: You can now change the category of a creation after you've saved it.
  • Updated: We have tweaked some of the existing category names for Dreams and Scenes.
  • Updated: Mm Picks sub-collections now appear in their associated categories.
  • Updated: Similar Creations will now return results that are more relevant to the creation you are currently viewing.
  • Updated: When searching for something to stamp in Edit Mode, you will get more relevant suggestions based on what you last stamped.
  • Fixed: Various minor fixes under the hood.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So my mini golf dream is ready, but it won't let me release until I release every older version, every asset (whether it's being used or not), every random old thing that I may have plunked in while testing, even the very first thing I made in dreams that has no connection whatsoever with this dream etc... I'm assuming there's a way around this?

atamize

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So my mini golf dream is ready, but it won't let me release until I release every older version, every asset (whether it's being used or not), every random old thing that I may have plunked in while testing, even the very first thing I made in dreams that has no connection whatsoever with this dream etc... I'm assuming there's a way around this?
It should give you the option of setting those assets to 'Unlisted' when releasing, which means it won't show up in searches. I don't know if there's a way to not release it altogether, but it doesn't hurt to have it in the cloud.

Oct 27, 2017
I can just go through and delete old versions of scenes, assets and testing stuff that are outdated and unused without any issues though?

Last edited:

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if it's possible to make the default puppet camera follow the player in the y axis? I'm working on a 3d platformer, but whenever the character drops below a certain point, the camera stops following. I'd rather not have to make a custom camera rig.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
This pleases me greatly. I kind of hate the Batman that gets used everywhere in Dreams and was planning to sculpt the Batman from The Animated Series as one of my future projects. Looks like this dreamer saved me the trouble, ha. And it looks great!
Now we just need someone to replicate the original soundtrack style. Would love to see animated shorts made in dreams of Batman the Animated Series.

There is one thing regarding Dreams that I find kind of disappointing, it is the fact that a lot of creators don't allow their stuff to be remixed (at least from what I've seen so far). Like the Batman in the video I showed... let's say I wanted to update and/or improve his walk+run cycle, I can't because the creator didn't make the assets available for remixing. 😔😑

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Too much things to do but i want to keep doing some fanarts in dreams to cause that's a pretty incredible way to have fun with old games!

so wip!

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
There is one thing regarding Dreams that I find kind of disappointing, it is the fact that a lot of creators don't allow their stuff to be remixed (at least from what I've seen so far). Like the Batman in the video I showed... let's say I wanted to update and/or improve his walk+run cycle, I can't because the creator didn't make the assets available for remixing. 😔😑

You know, I actually plan to release my first Dream as non-remixable initially and then open it up for remixing a couple weeks after I release it. I worry someone could just remix it, tweak little of it, and then get more traffic in some way, or at least some of the traffic I would have gotten. I've worked on it too damn long for something like that, ha. Maybe not a realistic concern, but perhaps some people have the same considerations. Either way, I would never leave mine non-remixable.

Last edited:

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
I've got a best practices kind of question - when you're working on a project are you just saving locally throughout or publishing privately? I've just been saving locally, but am getting paranoid about my system dying unexpectedly. Is publishing privately most people's method here to save your content?

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
Hey, I know I don't post in here very often, but on the subject of music I'm really pleased to say that today I released my first ever EP... and I did it all in Dreams! It's a fairly small selection of songs from an upcoming project of mine, but I've released them now just in case I never actually get around to finishing it.

Do give it a listen and tell me what you think! It's a little rough around the edges, no doubt, but I'm really genuinely chuffed with how this has turned out.

(by the way, if you like the cover art, it was done by an artist called Leirin - take a look at their twitter, they've got some wonderful stuff on there!)

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I've got a best practices kind of question - when you're working on a project are you just saving locally throughout or publishing privately? I've just been saving locally, but am getting paranoid about my system dying unexpectedly. Is publishing privately most people's method here to save your content?
It depends what I'm making. Usually with bigger projects I'll save them privately online at least once per day. There's no downside really, plus you have unlimited space online. I've seen a few people running out of local space recently, so the local creations may need to be deleted eventually.

Hey, I know I don't post in here very often, but on the subject of music I'm really pleased to say that today I released my first ever EP... and I did it all in Dreams! It's a fairly small selection of songs from an upcoming project of mine, but I've released them now just in case I never actually get around to finishing it.

Do give it a listen and tell me what you think! It's a little rough around the edges, no doubt, but I'm really genuinely chuffed with how this has turned out.

(by the way, if you like the cover art, it was done by an artist called Leirin - take a look at their twitter, they've got some wonderful stuff on there!)

Congrats, that sounds amazing!

I spent a couple of days searching for good music of an orchestrated style for my Jam creation, Illuminate, and honestly I struggled to find good quality tracks which aren't overused in too many Dreams. I certainly could have made yours work in my Dream!

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Still got a lot of stuff to do (making actual levels, visuals and music), but the core gameplay is finally somewhat playable. It's a top-down shooter where you can stop time!

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Like the LBP games, Sony has absolutely no idea how to market Dreams. The E3 showing-but-not-really-a-showing last year was the apex of that, and hurt the game's momentum a lot. Microsoft pushed Kodu almost as hard as Sony has pushed Dreams, for perspective.

I imagine people with a passing interest whose job it is for marketing to hook in don't even know it's out already. Putting out an early access for creators also tells those people that they can wait while they're playing other things. Problem is, I don't see a grand launch awaiting this game in the future now, or at least IDK what it'd take to build up the momentum again to do that.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Like the LBP games, Sony has absolutely no idea how to market Dreams. The E3 showing-but-not-really-a-showing last year was the apex of that, and hurt the game's momentum a lot. Microsoft pushed Kodu almost as hard as Sony has pushed Dreams, for perspective.

I imagine people with a passing interest whose job it is for marketing to hook in don't even know it's out already. Putting out an early access for creators also tells those people that they can wait while they're playing other things. Problem is, I don't see a grand launch awaiting this game in the future now, or at least IDK what it'd take to build up the momentum again to do that.
Hardly anything has been spent on marketing yet. That was always the intent for Early Access.

Sumasshu1

Oct 27, 2017
Well it's been slow for my non interactive stuff i guess but never that slow.
Hey Orioto, the problem is that you didn't create a dream specifically for this Ecco artwork. You just threw it in with your monolithic game artwork dream. The problem with that is that there is no indication that that dream contains an all new art piece. The only way people would know there's something new is if they were following that dream. You're essentially burying your art where people can't find it. You can keep adding your art to that same dream, but I highly recommend creating a new dream for each piece of art you do. That way your stuff will show up on the trending dreams filter and get noticed more.

I actually went searching for this to see it in game, searched for "Ecco" In the Dream section and didn't see it. Then I searched your name and saw it wasn't a dream which is why I wasn't finding it.

Sumasshu1

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I made this game the other week with my son and it still gets pretty regular plays and likes. Maybe 5 likes a day or so. Not bad for a game targeted at 5 year olds. ;). Maybe because it started off on the trending list when it first came out. I suspect if you increased your visibility by adding it to a dream you'd have even better results.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Hey Orioto, the problem is that you didn't create a dream specifically for this Ecco artwork. You just threw it in with your monolithic game artwork dream. The problem with that is that there is no indication that that dream contains an all new art piece. The only way people would know there's something new is if they were following that dream. You're essentially burying your art where people can't find it. You can keep adding your art to that same dream, but I highly recommend creating a new dream for each piece of art you do. That way your stuff will show up on the trending dreams filter and get noticed more.

I actually went searching for this to see it in game, searched for "Ecco" In the Dream section and didn't see it. Then I searched your name and saw it wasn't a dream which is why I wasn't finding it.

Yes but the piece is not called ecco :p I don't use real game's names in general.
But ok i'll create a dream for each art, which seems really stupid from MM actually. Dreams are made for multiple scenes..

I'll also change the name of the multiple art dream i guess!
I'm already working on a pocky and rocky art

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I kept working on my level where you can stop time and things have been progressing super smoothly. Now there's music, sound effects, actual visuals, a UI and more. All that's left is designing the actual game :P

ezgif-4-e8e4a3d3c506.gif

If you want to play it, I just uploaded the demo. Search for Time Stop and it should pop up!

Oct 27, 2017
First update for Dreams Mini Golf is done, if you played the first version this features an entirely new shot power system with multiple options for how the power is controlled and displayed. Also added new cameras, bug fixes, and some tweaks to some of the holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.