• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 8, 2017
Why was not this shown during State of Play you ask? Probably because the same people who were responsible for picking and choosing the content for Sony's E3 presentations are still responsible for picking and choosing content for SOP. Throughout this whole generation, Sony has omited many of their first-party stuff from E3 showcases, just to relegate them to pre-show, or a blog post and youtube video a few days later. Gravity Rush 2, Gran Turismo Sport, Knack 2, etc. I think even Ratchet & Clank 2016 did not make it to the big show.

New ways to announce and present stuff, still same old unexplainable omissions.

The best explanation I've seen for why it wasn't included is that this is an early access version of Dreams. You don't want your average joe PS4 owner getting it and there's not much content so they get pissed off and trash the game. Media Molecule wants this version in the hands of their dedicated fans who know what they're in for. It was the right decision.

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best explanation I've seen for why it wasn't included is that this is an early access version of Dreams. You don't want your average joe PS4 owner getting it and there's not much content so they get pissed off and trash the game. Media Molecule wants this version in the hands of their dedicated fans who know what they're in for. It was the right decision.
1. Average Joe does not know what State of Play is. PS4 has 90+ million userbase, maybe only a few million Playstation enthusiasts will watch SOP and read the blog posts.
2. The trailer kind of explains what early access is

Also, GT Sport is scheduled for another free update next week IIRC, Sony obviously did not bother showing a trailer for that in SOP either.
EDIT: That update was actually already released today.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
There is argument to be made that you shouldnt have the first showing be too critical to not break expectations through the roof for every consecutive one. The second showing having much better results wont cause that issue.
That said,
Dreams should have been there, because its a game that actually needs the exposure.
I'll actually disagree. The thing about this Early Access launch is that it's being offered in limited numbers and it's being targeted at the most passionate Dreams fans who'll make a ton of content in it. The only reason you'd want to advertise it to a wider audience is if the fanbase isn't big enough to buy all the Early Access copies they're selling.

So nah, at the time it seemed like a weird omission from State of Play but in hindsight, I think it was the right move. They can feature the full version in the next State of Play.

Oct 27, 2017
£25, noice. I think I will treat myself, as I haven't bought a new game in... *checks calendar* ... almost four days now.

I'm not a super creative person, but I will give it a go and I look forward to trying other people's creations.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
For those asking why this wasn't part of the State of Play video, I'm thinking MM didn't want the general public to know about this. Since they are only providing a limited amount of copies, they probably want the people that have a real interest in the game to have a better chance of getting a copy, since those are the people that will most likely be making creations in the game.

Dreams will get its big marketing push once the full game has a release date. My thoughts on the matter anyway.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Fast forward to the night of the 15th... starting to fruitlessly hammer the PSN store for an update at midnight for 3 hours, eventually falling asleep. Waking up at 7 in the morning - all sold out.

Nah, I'm not falling asleep. I'll plug the coffee machine in my bedroom, next to the PC, and refresh it on my phone until my thumb falls off.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
wp-content%252Fuploads%252F2013%252F06%252Fcrazy-kid-birthday-gif.gif%252Ffit-in__1200x9600.gif

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I won't be at my PS4 the 16th! Is there a way to buy from the store online or from my phone that day?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
£25, noice. I think I will treat myself, as I haven't bought a new game in... *checks calendar* ... almost four days now.

I'm not a super creative person, but I will give it a go and I look forward to trying other people's creations.

I'm not creative, but the beta sucked me in way more than LBP ever did. I'm no artist but the kinds of games I want to make I can get by with 'programmer art' plus leveraging other peoples' assets where needed.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I'll probably just keep waiting for the full release, but I'm excited to see what other people will create.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
I'm torn on this...$30 seems like a great price I'm just unsure on how limiting the actual tools might be

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Time to load $30 in my wallet so there's zero delay on pulling the trigger!

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Almost seems dumb to not buy into early access if you fully intend to buy it at launch. Save yourself however much money the difference will be.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Amazing news but it begs the question, why didn't they just announce this in State of Play?

Probably because they wanted fewer "general" eyes on this, and more eyes of people who genuinely follow their blog / want to create. I could see State of Play hurting the purpose of their early access (generate good, curated content) more than it helps. There are limited spots available, after all.

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
Gonna get on this soon as it's available. Been waiting since the first teaser from the first time the PS4 was shown off.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Has early access changed the timeline in terms of online multiplayer or is that still coming after official launch?

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I swear to God, if I'm working when this goes live and it sells out because of bots or other nonsense...

Check eBay once it launches, watch this end up being like P.T.

Buy my SUPER RARE PS4 WITH DREAMS BETA OUT OF STOCK BUY IT NOW!!!1!!!

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is it wrong if I buy into the early access just for the discount if I don't plan to create anything?

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Limited participants early access, is this a thing? I get that they want to test the waters, but this feels gimmicky to force people on the fence to buy it.
Anyway, can't wait to buy it and see people's creations

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Hell yeah, europe! Let's go!

I guess they changed the number of countries in Europe that will get the Early access version because initially it was only in UK, Austria, Benelux, France, Switzerland, Italy, Germany and Spain.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...his-spring-heres-everything-you-need-to-know/

In the EA announcement i was convinced that it did not grant access to the full game when it launches but since it does, i might buy the early access.