• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017

www.escapistmagazine.com

Dreams Is Already Fostering the Next Generation of Game Developers

Dreams from Media Molecule is an incredibly powerful game design tool that's easy to use, and it's already raising a new generation of game designers.

No Man's Sky for all its initial faults, is an ambitious and beautiful game. It features a massive open-world universe full of countless new worlds and creatures to discover — a very impressive feat for a company with just 25 employees to make in just four years. There's also a No Man's Sky fan game that got whipped up in just a few months in Dreams. The game, called Beyond, was the work of just two creators, Kevin H and Chris D.

Kevin and Chris have experience creating games — they've released projects on itch.io, created a game for their university's arcade, and are currently working together on a racing game that uses the Unreal engine. But it was Media Molecule's LittleBigPlanet games that inspired Kevin to pursue a career in the games industry in the first place.

When Dreams first came out, he knew he had to try it — and he was blown away by just how much it let its users do.

"Dreams is like Maya, Unreal, Fruity Loops, Sony Vegas, and Photoshop all bundled into one $40 package," said Kevin. "It's super intuitive and easy to get started too."

I really wanted to show how powerful Dreams was (as) a game-creating tool, so I tried tackling one of the hardest games I could create," said Kevin. "I ended up choosing No Man's Sky — not only for its technical feats, but also for how fun I perceived the game would be to make and play."

There's no truer testament to Dreams' strengths as a game creation tool than how well an inexperienced hand can piece something together. One creator, who goes by the handle Jimmyjules153, had never tried to create a game before. He'd never even done any professional programming before. But when he booted up Dreams, he knew he'd be able to make something.

The tools are beyond anything I could have imagined on any platform," he said. "I could immediately see the potential for what this game could become with a supportive community behind it
."

I didn't expect the kind of support that my game received, but it makes me happy I was able to entertain so many people," he said. "There are some brilliant games on the front page, and it's an honor to be chosen to be among them."

Being a featured game got him more than just honor, however — it may very well have set him on a course towards a career in game development.

"I was approached by a European game development company who asked me to join their team," he said. "I'm excited for the future and where this may take me!"

All along the way, Jimmyjules153 was impressed by the support and assistance he could find in Dreams' community — something of a common theme among creators. The community has spread beyond the game itself and into Twitter, Twitch, Facebook, Reddit, and YouTube. It's been described as "warm," "welcoming," "helpful," "passionate," and perhaps most notably, "not toxic at all."

"Everyone is always willing to help each other out, whether through collaboration, prototyping, or bouncing ideas off of each other," said designer busterwackycrash, who created the strategy game Strike II. "This is all thanks to the warm and friendly atmosphere Media Molecule has cultured all throughout the years when interacting with the fanbase."

An atmosphere of collaboration is in the DNA of Dreams. Creators can choose to make their creations "remixable," which lets others use their art, sound, and even in-game logic to jump-start their own creations.
The ability to share assets was essential to Keld's game, Art Therapy, which involves smashing up an art museum to try to cause as much damage as possible. It was created as part of a Dreams Community Jam, where participants had 10 days to put something together based on a theme; in this case, the theme was "Night (or Day) at the Museum." He started up a Twitch stream to brainstorm ideas before putting a team together and coming up with the concept.

"It turned into a huge collaboration, and in the recent update, I finished adding credits for every creator involved," said Keld.

"Huge" is no exaggeration — the game contains content from no fewer than 232 different contributors, including sculptures, sounds, paintings, and textures. Keld estimates that he himself put 80 hours into the game's creation — no small amount of effort, to be sure, but one that was alleviated by the sheer amount of content he was able to use from other players.

The game has been something of a hit with the community, and it became yet another game that Media Molecule chose to feature front and center when players start browsing creations.

Our entire team is made up of people that have zero experience in game creation, actually. We are complete amateurs in that respect," said user ArcaneArts_, who heads the project. "Dreams makes it possible for even us to learn foreign tools and begin learning and experiencing a small taste of game design."

Some of the community get resentful about fan games getting loads of attention, but I think it's a big plus," Keld said. "Did you hear about Elca Gamingon YouTube? He gained 60-70K subscribers in a few days when the YouTube algorithm decided to show the videos about his Avatar: The Last Airbender game to Avatar fans. That's tens of thousands of people exposed to Dreams because of their love for another thing."

Dreams is going viral, but rather than elicit some chuckles and vanish like a meme, it's ushering in a new generation of game designers.

Last edited:

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait to get this and dig into some of the tools available.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Cool thing is you dont need to know about coding. Is just your skill, creativity and own knowledge.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Cool thing is you dont need to know about coding. Is just your skill, creativity and own knowledge.

It's what makes this all so amazing, cause let's be honest here there're lots of talented designers out there with endless ideas that couldn't do basic coding to save their life, or just aren't interested in coding at all.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
Holy shit at his (user) creations.

yeah, this whole part of the stream I found really fascinating as I hadn't been exposed to anything "good" in Dreams from streams I've watched. Still not a game for me, but stuff like this and the games shown in the article OP posted make Dreams seem really promising for people to flex their creativity without so many hurdles. I will definitely continue to follow the stuff this person creates.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
"Huge" is no exaggeration — the game contains content from no fewer than 232 different contributors, including sculptures, sounds, paintings, and textures. Keld estimates that he himself put 80 hours into the game's creation — no small amount of effort, to be sure, but one that was alleviated by the sheer amount of content he was able to use from other players.

The shared development is the best thing about Dreams.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have such a good idea in my head for a video game but I can't afford Dreams right now, I'm actually pretty pissed that I can't

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This is really all I've been playing for the past 2 weeks, it's been a blast. I've been wanting to learn game design for many years now, but more as a hobby, so I didn't dabble into it much. I didn't have the knowledge for art, music etc which kind of put me off from it. But with this I can easily make my own or use others creations without a problem, it's great.

I'm still learning a lot and am far off from what other people made, but then again I've only had it for the 2 weeks its been officially released heh. Can't wait to see what people make in the future and it's really cool to see people getting somewhere big with it.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
If it's easy to use I can't wait till we have the PC version to create my own late 90s survival horror game
it's gonna be awhile, MM is a small team and they're still working on VR, and PS5 version next. they haven't started any work on PC version. it's probably not coming to PC for a year or two, also PC version would also require to add new keyboard and mouse control scheme and redoing all the tutorial again.

so yeah, not gonna be a simple port for MM

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dreams seems to be a fantastic gateway for aspiring developers. In time they can move to engines like Unity and Unreal and have more control over what they make and the ability to generate money.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
This is always good to see. Roblox has been doing this very thing for ~14 years and it's wildly popular.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Dreams seems to be a fantastic gateway for aspiring developers. In time they can move to engines like Unity and Unreal and have more control over what they make and the ability to generate money.

They can use Patreon, or a Kickstarter after making a demo in Dreams

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Media Molecule is doing the lord's work. They are by far my favorite developer whose games I don't buy.

I love you MM! Keep doing what you're doing!

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Man's Sky for all its initial faults, is an ambitious and beautiful game. It features a massive open-world universe full of countless new worlds and creatures to discover — a very impressive feat for a company with just 25 employees to make in just four years. There's also a No Man's Sky fan game that got whipped up in just a few months in Dreams. The game, called Beyond, was the work of just two creators, Kevin H and Chris D.

I'm not sure the point they're making here. With Dreams you don't need to create an engine from the ground up, optimise it and spend a lot more in development resources to make a short slice. Dreamers aren't learning the skills they would need to be full fledged developers, and you can't hire someone to just place assets and call it a day.

the difference between most creators and the one who got hired is that they spend a long time modding and building a name for themselves.

it's a neat tool, do t get me wrong but I don't see people going to learn programming after using Dreams.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure the point they're making here. With Dreams you don't need to create an engine from the ground up, optimise it and spend a lot more in development resources to make a short slice. Dreamers aren't learning the skills they would need to be full fledged developers, and you can't hire someone to just place assets and call it a day.

the difference between most creators and the one who got hired is that they spend a long time modding and building a name for themselves.

it's a neat tool, do t get me wrong but I don't see people going to learn programming after using Dreams.

Except you actually DO need to learn stuff from optimizing. How to manage the thermo is a big deal and many games mention that they're working on making the framerate more stable.

Also not every developer knows how to make an entire engine from the ground up anyway. It's more the exception to use fully new engine, most developers use engines like UE or a unique version built off of it.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018

Lol yeah. I was offered a multimillion dollar salary because I was able to recreate my childhood home in Halo Forge.

Nov 1, 2017
"creators"? so far only one guy got a job offer as far as i know
Anything from a full fledged engine like Unreal to something as simple as Lego can spark something inside someone. I think people are being ridiculous with how much they gush over Dreams but like any tool it will encourage people to maybe pursue something they haven't thought about before.

Oct 27, 2017
Anything from a full fledged engine like Unreal to something as simple as Lego can spark something inside someone. I think people are being ridiculous with how much they gush over Dreams but like any tool it will encourage people to maybe pursue something they haven't thought about before.
The thing is, it's not like "any tool". It's made a bunch of disciplines accessible to many more people, all at once: painting, sculpting, animation, sound design, logic design and operation, and gameplay design. And because there are less rules than an interlocking system like Lego or a standardized engine, it's far easier to plug-and-play with others' creations. Even someone who just wants a play-only experience is given a bunch of ways of actively participating in a community right away.

Last night I spent "only" a few hours creating a pond that can be both reflective and seen into, with underwater murkiness and water caustics, plus an active surface for objects to float and interact with an animated character. Along the way I gained confidence using painting, cloning objects, lighting, simple animations, and atmospheric effects. Not to sound ridiculous, but I've never had an experience like it before, and I'm no artist or gameplay programmer.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

Very few developers 'create an engine from the ground up'. Most development studios use propriety engines (e.g. Unreal) or shared engines built by a core team (e.g. Frostbite) or have engines built up piece by piece by many people over multiple projects (e.g. Creation). Most programmers at game studios aren't engine programmers and many game developers aren't programmers at all.

Dreams is not going to teach people to be programmers, but it will teach people a ton about game development and it will inevitably inspire people to become game developers. Any kid with an interest in game development would do well to pick up Dreams.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
This is cool. Wonder if we will see Dreams games ported outside Dreams in the future.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I was watching Patrick Klepek play the other night when he stumbled onto this gem. Totally worth a watch:

Holy shit at his (user) creations.
Wow. This stuff would be classed in the same calibre of Fez last generation.

Inspirational, amazing work.

I love people reacting to playing/seeing The Watergardens dream for the first time. It blew my mind away, and it makes me happy when I see people having the same reaction

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Except game development is not just about coding. Edmund McMillen is one of the most well-known game designers of the past few years, yet he is not a coder. Learning about how a game works is different from learning a programming language. I can do a lot of stuff in Lua, JS, Java and C#, but I can't design a game from scratch to save my life. Totally different things.

Nov 1, 2017
The thing is, it's not like "any tool". It's made a bunch of disciplines accessible to many more people, all at once: painting, sculpting, animation, sound design, logic design and operation, and gameplay design. And because there are less rules than an interlocking system like Lego or a standardized engine, it's far easier to plug-and-play with others' creations. Even someone who just wants a play-only experience is given a bunch of ways of actively participating in a community right away.

Last night I spent "only" a few hours creating a pond that can be both reflective and seen into, with underwater murkiness and water caustics, plus an active surface for objects to float and interact with an animated character. Along the way I gained confidence using painting, cloning objects, lighting, simple animations, and atmospheric effects. Not to sound ridiculous, but I've never had an experience like it before, and I'm no artist or gameplay programmer.
Yes, it does a very good job at bringing things together. It's not the first to allow different disciplines contributing to the same projects though, it's likely going to be the most accessible one. I can only really speak for RPG Maker since that was the community I got involved with but there were plenty of people contributing to a library of sprite sheets, music, and logic snippets. I know Unity also has similar pockets of communities that create and share resources like that too.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I love people reacting to playing/seeing The Watergardens dream for the first time. It blew my mind away, and it makes me happy when I see people having the same reaction
It deserves all the praise. It's the best Dreams published game I have seen. I was taken aback by it to be honest.

I only watched the first three islands because when I get Dreams myself (very soon) I want to complete it myself but the game looks gorgeous, plays well and has simple but engaging puzzles. It just looks so soothing and relaxing. Really enjoyable.

I'm gobsmacked.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
That TannicAlloy guy, couldn't possibly don't have any job offers after what he did on Dreams...

Unless he still didn't get any, up to this point...