• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I see, cloning consumes less thermo, then?

Cloning fills up the gameplay thermometer. Graphics is filled up by the assets themselves. You can also adjust the flecks asset quality to increase or decrease how quickly the graphics thermo is filled up. The third bar is for music.

Last edited:

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I see, cloning consumes less thermo, then?

There are lots of different limits, but the two that most people will come up against are basically: amount of things & amount of graphics memory. A sculpt is one 'thing' that takes up a certain amount of graphics memory. If you clone it you then have two 'things' without taking up any additional graphics memory.

So it's basically a tradeoff. If you're making a brick wall you have four broad options:

1) Build each brick individually (lots of things, lots of graphics memory)
2) Build one brick and clone it a lot (lots of things, little graphics memory)
3) Build the wall as a single sculpt (few things, lots of graphics memory)
4) Build a small piece of wall and clone it (few things, little graphics memory)

So generally the best route is always a variant of 4. The thing which Dreams impresses upon you is how effective cloning can be given that you can clone something but still alter it's size/orientation/position to the point where it's not remotely obvious it's been cloned.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
There's a number of techniques to avoid high thermo usage :) When sculpting you might also happen to make your sculpture in a very high detail level, even without meaning to (it can happen when you make something small first, then make it large via stretching or similar), which costs a lot of thermo, but the level of detail can be controlled with another tool, which can help greatly reduce graphics thermo.
There are lots of different limits, but the two that most people will come up against are basically: amount of things & amount of graphics memory. A sculpt is one 'thing' that takes up a certain amount of graphics memory. If you clone it you then have two 'things' without taking up any additional graphics memory.

So it's basically a tradeoff. If you're making a brick wall you have four broad options:

1) Build each brick individually (lots of things, lots of graphics memory)
2) Build one brick and clone it a lot (lots of things, little graphics memory)
3) Build the wall as a single sculpt (few things, lots of graphics memory)
4) Build a small piece of wall and clone it (few things, little graphics memory)
Cloning fills up the gameplay thermometer. Graphics is filled up by the assets themselves. You can also adjust the flecks (Dreams doesn't use pixels) asset quality to increase or decrease how quickly the graphics thermo is filled up. The third bar is for music.

Great, thanks for the info!

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Cloning fills up the gameplay thermometer. Graphics is filled up by the assets themselves. You can also adjust the flecks (Dreams doesn't use pixels) asset quality to increase or decrease how quickly the graphics thermo is filled up. The third bar is for music.

Dreams does render to pixels - the unusual thing is that it doesn't use polygons.

Jun 26, 2018
Dreams does render to pixels - the unusual thing is that it doesn't use polygons.

tenor.gif

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to get back in to Dreams I think. I got really obsessed with it during the beta for a few months and then got distracted by other things. It really is amazingly fun to make things.

Has there been any word on when VR will be added (sorry, I'm sure this get's asked a lot).

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Flippin' HYPED to get settled down with the updated 1.0 tonight! I'm a player rather than a creator so looking forward to seeing what they surface for players who are new to the game at this stage and how it all looks post-update. Won't get on for a few hours though.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
4. The thing which Dreams impresses upon you is how effective cloning can be given that you can clone something but still alter it's size/orientation/position to the point where it's not remotely obvious it's been cloned.

Yep, and not only that, you can even change the colors, surface type, flecks and looseness, and it still counts as a clone and doesn't take up more graphics thermo.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
So it's that easy to release a patch huh? Uploading it and pressing publish?

What takes the other developers so long then? 🤔

Time to download.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
MM team member game. Make sure you guys queue levels up if you haven't

Last edited:

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Oh, my subtitle was chose. So, this is how it feels to be famous? :P
Anyway, great OT. I can't wait to check this game tomorrow and check the new stuff and the Story mode.

And for anyone checking the game for the first time, we should share some recommendations. Personally, I would recommend the Watergardens:

And Little Jumps, by our own member Orioto:

Also, I wish I could be as creative as some of the people in the community to actually create something, but I will settle with only playing their amazing stuff

Thx :p
Little Jumps is real hard but i'm wondering how i can put an easy mode in it! Maybe check points everywhere ? I'll see, also compared to when it was published there is now a nice little story ending at the end of level 6

Also guys, you probably heard about some event for the rlease, in France we have a jam with sudent (that i trained a little wause it's in my videogame school where i teach sometimes), and an art show tomorow, where me (with unmecrandom, my feufollet dev guy!) did something inspired by a french graffitti artist's pitch. Here is a short trailer, Playstation france will communicate on it shortly

3 other dreamers did the same thing with other artist, and classy ones, Gauffreman, SlurmMacKenzie and Quartdecarton (so they did crazy stuff cause they are beasts, i'm kinda lame in comparison, especially to work on someone else idea :p, but hey i was in the MediaMolecule 4 picks, crazy!)

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Oh yes, people sharing their favourite creations for everyone to jump in :D

I'd also point to The Watergardens and Dinorama, and then Mimeo Prophecy, of course. Part 2 o that Impy Award winning title is expected this year.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Ahh today's the day! I forgot about the early access for early accessors! Got a stupid 4 hr shift in work this afternoon then tonight I'm getting stuck into the campaign. I found the controls really fiddly and I struggled to do basic things before. I'm curious to see how the analogue stick controls work over motion controls this time around. If I simply felt a bit more in control of what I was doing it might help make me less frustrated with myself. I really want to get stuck into Dreams but fear I dot have the patience to do anything worthwhile.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Question,

I have played some of dreams in the the past few months and enjoyed it but something feels off. I can't tell but no matter what I play, i find it floaty no matter what kind of game. I can't tell if its becasue of the engine, I love the idea to make any game but I find the levels people make never feel right compared to actual games in the genres. Does anyone else feel the same? I notice this escipally in platformers and first person shooters where walking is floaty.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Hitting links in here to creations highlights just how nice the in.dreams website is and how well it ties in with your game. Nice to see I can select content I want to play later when I turn the game on. I REALLY need to get back into Dreams and start having a look at the creations people here are recommending. Discovery is still a bit of a mountain to climb with this game given the vast array of content available.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Question,

I have played some of dreams in the the past few months and enjoyed it but something feels off. I can't tell but no matter what I play, i find it floaty no matter what kind of game. I can't tell if its becasue of the engine, I love the idea to make any game but I find the levels people make never feel right compared to actual games in the genres. Does anyone else feel the same? I notice this escipally in platformers and first person shooters where walking is floaty.
The reason is simply that the creators haven't finely tuned their controls to feel like those games. There's a creator who created a dog character who can wall jump like Mario (and double jump and swim etc) and all the moves and movement is absolutely pin tight and accurate. Not floaty at all. It's just that many of the creations are using default puppets and controls and they simply aren't as attuned as maybe they should be. But the possibility is absolutely there so don't worry.