• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
How much worth do you think someone might get out of who isn't going to build a single thing? Like just watching/playing the user created content. I know it is hard to quantify that cause people are different but is there a lot of cool activities people are building so far or wait?

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Finally caught up on the first few hours of the launch stream.

It's exciting hearing Alex hint about all the new additions to creation mode that they are planning to add (including one that will "make you wonder how you ever sculpted without it" - Perhaps a way to move the mirror after a sculpt has been placed?). They gave off the impression that they have continued to make lots of additions to creation mode that they haven't been able to release because they needed to lock things down before launch, and so we might expect a surprising amount of stuff in the near-future.

I haven't really dove into creating, but one thing I noticed is all the text has the same kinda font.
Is that something that is easy to change or not?

More font options would be nice.

There are a few dozen font options (and they added more for just recently for launch) but yeah, I could definitely use more.

My main concern for Dreams is that the audience has to be large enough and lively enough to be worth creating for. Obviously the launch has brought with it a burst of activity from early access participants and purchasers alike, but you would have to imagine this will subside in the coming months. I guess for me, as someone building a game right now and who has quite a few ideas I want to build in future, I want to know that if I build something good I can reach thousands of people. If that becomes a few hundred people... that would hamper my enthusiasm quite a bit.
Call me naive, but personally I am really quite optimistic about the future of the game and MM in general.

Dreams was always going to be a long-tail sort of game, but I think you can anticipate at least two more sales spikes: VR and the PS5. Both of these new platforms are or will be relatively starved of content, and that is something that Dreams is certainly not lacking in.

After that i think it is more likely than not that it gets ported to PC, and we also still have major updates like online multiplayer and DLC (which has been hinted at to be collaborations with other studios and other ip, which could draw in fans of other series).

So you have a lot of good will, fantastic reviews, a regular cadence of major updates, an ever-growing library of high-quality Dreams, and a community with a high propensity for generating viral content. I honestly think that chances are pretty good for this to keep growing for a long time.

Nov 2, 2018
How much worth do you think someone might get out of who isn't going to build a single thing? Like just watching/playing the user created content. I know it is hard to quantify that cause people are different but is there a lot of cool activities people are building so far or wait?

You'll make your money back many times over. I spent 40 minutes playing a Toony SekiroDream today

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
Haven't even entered the editor yet and I'm at 21 hours. I think if you're the type of person who likes getting lost down the YouTube rabbit hole or Wikipedia surfing, this is 800% your shit.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

I've logged about 15 hours so far, mostly playing. There's a vast amount of content already available, of which many are polished experiences across every conceivable genre: space combat, turn-based RPG, tycoon simulator, survival games complete with base-building mechanics, Fallout 4. And all of these experiences load in seconds. It's magic.

This is just the first week. So much of what's already on the Dreamiverse amount to tech demos and system building, just waiting to be applied to games with more content. But what's out there now makes me very excited: giant open environments, made even larger with linked Dreams akin to Dragon Age: Inquisition; persistent auto-save systems as a standard practice; extremely high-fidelity LOD, lighting and post-processing; sophisticated cinematic tools. With iteration and collaboration -- supported by an already enormous collection of free user-generated assets, characters models, and ready-made scripting for A.I., health bars, inventory systems, camera filters, etc. -- we're going to have some epic stuff on our hands come summer time.

And I can't stress enough how much the load times contribute to the experience: you can bounce from an arcade game to a music video to a massive adventure game (that remembers where you left off) instantly. It's an ever-expanding collection of on-demand quickplay games and non-game experiences all for just forty bucks.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

You'll make your money back many times over. I spent 40 minutes playing a Toony SekiroDream today

We still have multiplayer online (not just local) to look forward to in a future update as well. Things are going to probably get bonkers after that.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
got a chance to play a bit more. still stunned by how much there is, they pretty much made the most accessible game engine ever, but as a ps4 game with excellent tutorials and sharing abilities

just finished learning about the timeline stuff for music. as someone who has been trying to learn music daw stuff for the past year or so, I was shocked to see just how much they put in there. Envelopes? multiple delay/reverb sends, filters, EQ, fucking compression?? not to mention a lot of more obvious but still very powerful stuff. I'm still barely scratching the surface. This game could very well be a game for everyone. Like, if all I wanted to do was make dinosaur sculpts and share them, I could, or level designs, or a song, etc. and it would still be a great game, fulfilling game to me. Even ignoring the actual shitload of GAMES there are to play.

Can't wait to see the next big 'dota' sized game come from Dreams. Wonder how they're handling the copyright stuff however..

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
One of the other little tidbits i learned from the launch stream is that doing really detailed spray painting on your sculpts will increase the load time, but it doesn't actually hurt your thermo much at all.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Ok played this one called Purgatory: The Most Important Waiting Room in existence and I was truly amazed. Not because of graphics or because it's a great remake. But just because it's creative, funny and original. And that's exactly what makes Dreams great for me. People with creativity can go wild and it's not only about designing.

Absolutely a small 10 minute experience that will make you smile.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
We still have multiplayer online (not just local) to look forward to in a future update as well. Things are going to probably get bonkers after that.

I want to see online co-op Dreamshaping, with one player laying down the macro-sized architecture as another walks through the space in VR filling in the finer details.

This game is like a Peter Molyneux pitch meeting made real.

Oct 27, 2017
Was at work dayDreaming about the touchpad being used to sculpt with a finger or stylus. L1 held for applying, L2 for removing. Left analog stick for rotation. D-pad to snap to each of the six sides as if the object was in a cube. Face buttons to alter tip/eraser sizes/modes and undo redo buttons at X and O. R1 and R2 for mirror and clone maybe. Pressing the touchpad brings up the menu and the right analog stick could be used in place of the touchpad if held like a pen.

Neat idea to me.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
So for those of you who are more wired into the gaming cultural zeitgeist than me:

What is the adoption rate among "normal" influencers? Having EA to help populate it at "launch" was a good idea, but most mainstream sites seemed to have barely commented on it coming out of EA and what videos I see in my various feeds reminds me a lot of LBP.

LBP, and to a lesser extent Trials, had LOTS of awesome "Yo man, look at this amazing proof of concept someone did". But after you play the motorcycle FPS and the five minutes of FF7 remake you lose interest. Trials largely just turned in to a bunch of trash and some really fun ninja tracks (so the Mario Maker treatment) and... I don't actually know who kept playing LBP.

This stuff always blows my mind and makes me hope we are going to have a resurgence of Unreal Tournament and UT2k3/4 mods where you can have a sword fight then play the best DBZ game before Xenoverse and then Thievery and have a blast.. But it consistently results in a UT3 model of "Folk are going to make the awesome mods any day now...".

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Haven't even entered the editor yet and I'm at 21 hours. I think if you're the type of person who likes getting lost down the YouTube rabbit hole or Wikipedia surfing, this is 800% your shit.
I think this is a great example. I can go down a rabbit hole if I find the right hook but finding the hook is the thing.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
can someone please make an armored core or chromehounds like game in this? i'm itchin

while we're at it make sled storm, burnout 3, and every other game that ive been wanting a remake of for a while. lets go mario rpg

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Thought this little puzzler was good, environments are great too.

indreams.me

Project "Sanctum"

A WIP version of "Sanctum" Set at the mountains of kakutaru you'll have to explore the area and find the sacred temple through the black ice cave. It's challenging as you'll have minimal help.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I found The Pilgrim to be a pretty imaginative platformer. Makes good use of its mechanics.

indreams.me

The Pilgrim

Where will thy quest carry thee? Oh, wise pilgrim, Thy journey shant be a short one. Fully co-created with @Majoneskongen! Follow us on Twitter [@WangBros_Dreams]!

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
There's a vast amount of content already available, of which many are polished experiences across every conceivable genre: space combat, turn-based RPG, tycoon simulator, survival games complete with base-building mechanics, Fallout 4. And all of these experiences load in seconds. It's magic.

MS/Google/etc: Streaming games is the future!
Media Molecule: *laughs in Dreams*

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Sony didn't put too much marketing, because the game will marketing it self.

Genius.

its definitely going to get a lot of attention from stuff like this, especially on shit like koteeku but I wonder if it'll hit bigger press? Likely at some point, I imagine, once the legit COD and Fortnite clones are abound.

I wonder though, how do they handle IP stuff like this? Is it going to inevitably be taken down or is there some way that it's OK as a form of 'fan art'?

deejay8595

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone else like me and can't stop playing this game? Everytime I'm about to turn it off, another random dream gets me, in which another 30 minutes passes by lol. This is a great game and it's only the beginning. Alot of cool unique levels only after a couple days of full release.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Is there a tag for text adventures on Dreams? I've been meaning to check on a Dream I played back with the Early Access launches, but I can't seem to find it. It was a text adventure in which you are a scientist in a space ship. But my activity doesn't reach that long on my feed and I can't remember the game. I want to see if they have updated that game now that Dreams have launched.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Is there a tag for text adventures on Dreams? I've been meaning to check on a Dream I played back with the Early Access launches, but I can't seem to find it. It was a text adventure in which you are a scientist in a space ship. But my activity doesn't reach that long on my feed and I can't remember the game. I want to see if they have updated that game now that Dreams have launched.

Maybe you can try finding it with this filtering: https://indreams.me/search/results/...onbr+tHzBzzehLki&type=dreams&sort=mostrecent? I swear there's a visual novel category but I can't find it on the dreams website.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
For the Visual Novel filter, you need to set the search as "Audio-visual" first, but not even with that I can find the Dream I am looking for. I am starting to think the guy archived it or something like that?

Could be, or maybe it used some copyrighted song and they had to remove it? Dunno. TY for the info.

May 24, 2019
Can the player character be anything or is it limited to a certain set of defaults?
ie. can I customize the player character infinitely?

There isn't a default character like Sackboy in LBP. Creators set what you control.

edit: The closest thing to a universal 'you' is your controller cursor/imp, where you can select between a number of different colours and expressions.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Can the player character be anything or is it limited to a certain set of defaults?
ie. can I customize the player character infinitely?
You can get new skins for your Imp by completing quests - which there are a lot of. The quests are like give 10 creations a thumbs up etc. Outside of player levels, you can also get character models from MM or players to use in your home space area which is kind of a useless version of LBPs pod but still cool nonetheless.