• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 26, 2018
Don't laugh at me... super basic question... I have sculpted a player model and want to use it in a scene...

Maybe I'm blind but is there a basic tutorial about setting up a scene so it's possible to actually play it? Like setting up start, finish, how to control the whatever?

Go to the Dreams workshop at the top of the dreamshaping menu :) or press pause in edit mode and click videos somewhere at the top and there should be a video on doorways :) that might help

Oct 26, 2017
I spent the last hour or so tinkering away on an all-purpose 2D puppet. I've got the basic body shape, and I intend to use it mostly zoomed out so it doesn't need too much detail. The animation works fine now and I've been setting up eye expressions, basically just regular eyes and angry eyes + mouth. I put in both sets, but I had some trouble with the other set not going invisible even though I toggled it with the key frame. I ended up just moving the other pair back into the head. Of course, once I started testing it the spare set would just buzz around the head as I moved. Apparently groups can still collide with themselves, so I set each pair to not collide with anything. Now it works properly.

I will need some basic platforming logic like ladders and water, but I'm probably going to track down some good ones in the Dreamiverse rather than figuring everything out on my own. For now it's super nice just to have a tightly controlled character that still has smooth IK animation. For anyone wondering, you can set the gravity really high and set the turning rate and acceleration/deceleration to max. This gives you a character that really controls like something like Mega Man.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Got a friend from the Dreams community streaming their face sculpting right now!

My home space is coming along nicely

Ooh, let me know when I can visit it. I'm making a major change to mine now, which I think people will enjoy.

Is there somewhere I can find that ending song for Art's Dream? I wish I could get it on Spotify.
Check your downloads. You should have a "the music of Dreams" thing available, and inside that app you can copy to USB drive.

Last edited:

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Still going through Art's Dream slowly (about 65% done now) and I'm just deeply impressed with what MM is using essentially as a marketing device for their Creation Tools. Tiny gripes aside (mostly camera issues), I just love any section with D-Bug & Co., and Art's sections give me hope for a vibrant adventure game comm

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Is there somewhere I can find that ending song for Art's Dream? I wish I could get it on Spotify.

It's on youtube, but I imagine you're looking for a streaming service?

Check your downloads. You should have a "the music of Dreams" thing available, and inside that app you can copy to USB drive.

I remember reading that Time Move Slow ain't on the Music of Dreams because is a cover. Dunno if that's true tho

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
take something, tweak one thing. Then tweak another. Then build your own thing and tweak it. Before you know it you'll be making your own magnum opus :)
Thank you! Having played around some, I can imagine how that would go! It's remarkable how MM have gameified the creative instruments, to the point where they're mostly completely familiar. And exposing the part of creation that's fun ... It's a real accomplishment.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking that Art looked familiar, and realized he's basically a thinner version of Jet from Cowboy Bebop
cowboy-bebop-jet-black.jpg

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Hit my first stumbling block today. It's not so easy to get vehicles right, I feel. I found some pretty cool car models that fit the setting of my game in the 1990s. However, they are not interactive. So I made the wheels moveable, connected them to a non-moveable block which I then linked to the car body. The whole group is made moveable. I don't seem to get the motor bolts just right. The wheels like to end up funny. Maybe it's also because they were stitched onto the model later. I also noticed that it's better using wheels where the rims and actual wheel are one part. If not, the wheel liked to end up halfway in the ground when spinning. Lost quite some time with that wheel which wasn't so good.

I have however set up the logic for my town scene. Cars are emitted in different distances from each other, they have a set route, they rotate and stop when necessary, e.g. for obstacles and when crossing path with the player - but I find the wheels part pretty tricky. Wish you could center bolts in the middle of the object.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Mr Van - you've done a few complete games so far (Cubric still my fave). Can you describe how the progression worked? Did later games come easier - eg game framework was more copy/paste and you could work more on the core game? Do you fine yourself reworking existing logic or starting from scratch as you learned things during the previous game to speed things up?

Later games have been much much easier. Cubric was the first thing I made and it was a great way to learn every aspect of dreams, but it was also a huge pain in the ass. The Great Job, Human games have been a joy to make in comparison.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Hit my first stumbling block today. It's not so easy to get vehicles right, I feel. I found some pretty cool car models that fit the setting of my game in the 1990s. However, they are not interactive. So I made the wheels moveable, connected them to a non-moveable block which I then linked to the car body. The whole group is made moveable. I don't seem to get the motor bolts just right. The wheels like to end up funny. Maybe it's also because they were stitched onto the model later. I also noticed that it's better using wheels where the rims and actual wheel are one part. If not, the wheel liked to end up halfway in the ground when spinning. Lost quite some time with that wheel which wasn't so good.

I have however set up the logic for my town scene. Cars are emitted in different distances from each other, they have a set route, they rotate and stop when necessary, e.g. for obstacles and when crossing path with the player - but I find the wheels part pretty tricky. Wish you could center bolts in the middle of the object.
Yeah there's definitely a learning curve for making vehicles, and particularly things like wheels. My Forklift game has really crazy wheels that look silly, but even then it took me ages to get it right because I really just muddled my way through it. I'd do a lot of things different now compared to when i made that one.

If i were to give broad some tips it would be:
  • Don't try to have the wheels actually push the car. It's tempting to try and make it work like an actual car with motor bolts turning the wheel, but the physics just get really wonky and it doesn't make good for good results. I think it's best to build the car controls first out of a cube, and then later on once they are working well you can make that cube invisible and then attach the actual car model to it. Next you can add the wheels, which you can make spin just for show.
  • Similarly, use a collidable invisible cylinder to keep the car at the correct height, and just make the wheels themselves non-collidable.
  • if you are using a motor bolt on a cylinder to make a wheel, the bolt has to be placed in the dead-centre as even a slight deviation will cause the wheels to be extremely wonky. To do this you have to have all of your sculpts on the exact same grid. A neat trick that I picked up from one of the devs on stream is to always immediately place a cube in the middle of my scene when i start creating, and then use that as a sort of 'benchmark' grid. If at any time i am unsure if i am in the right grid, i can align the grid to the all-powerful benchmark cube.
  • Joints are finicky, just remember that the orientation of the blue and yellow knobs is not important - the only thing that matters is the location and orientation of the pink knob, and the objects that the blue and yellow knobs are touching.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Yeah there's definitely a learning curve for making vehicles, and particularly things like wheels. My Forklift game has really crazy wheels that look silly, but even then it took me ages to get it right because I really just muddled my way through it. I'd do a lot of things different now compared to when i made that one.
You made that? Awesome!

I was trying to convert a car during the beta into a forklift to do forklift racing / drifting inspired by Shenmue, but never got to progress it very much.

Really enjoyed your silly dream, though. Not sure how I passed some of those bits where I basically flipped the forklift and landed it near the checkpoints lol.

Nov 21, 2019
You know I recall a year ago or so MM said there's an actual game development studio that is using the Dreams creation tool for their newest full-fledged game. Any update or word on that at all?

Mar 3, 2018
Wow, this game is absolutely insane. I don't know if it's because I'm fried right now but these creations are incredible. This game makes me feel like a kid again. I feel like an idiot for not buying this earlier

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Only the last two masterclasses and I'll have finished all the tutorials (without counting the how to videos).

I started the sculpting master class but it's a bit useless to me because I've no move controllers and for sure I'm not that skilled but there are some interesting tricks mentioned.

Anyway, I'll start setting up stuff soon!

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm finding sculpting a basic piece of floor to be somewhat clunky. It feels like it shouldn't so difficult to make a large piece of square terrain but the way the camera in this works is really wonky. Would appreciate any tips from more experienced makers.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm finding sculpting a basic piece of floor to be somewhat clunky. It feels like it shouldn't so difficult to make a large piece of square terrain but the way the camera in this works is really wonky. Would appreciate any tips from more experienced makers.

The easiest way if you want a flat terrain is to turn on the grid (in guidelines), stamp down a box close to the floor guide, then use the stretch tool to grab the sides and pull to increase the width.

You can edit the box shape before stamping (to my understanding helps thermo a little) but it's more complicated.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Spent all of today remaking the first location of the Tutorial Island from Runescape and it bought back so many memories lol, I might really try to do this full thing as much as possible and see where it takes me. If anyone's interested in joining the project, let me know :)

Also, reminder to DM me for the Discord invite!

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
You made that? Awesome!

I was trying to convert a car during the beta into a forklift to do forklift racing / drifting inspired by Shenmue, but never got to progress it very much.

Really enjoyed your silly dream, though. Not sure how I passed some of those bits where I basically flipped the forklift and landed it near the checkpoints lol.
Yeah it was the first thing I released in Dreams, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I'm half tempted to go back and rebuild the game with all my current knowledge, but I have so many ideas at the moment that I think I'm better off trying to finish one of my other 18 projects.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Caved and bought it.

Holy shit(m, the amount of potential is staggering. I can't wait to see what becomes of this, and hopefully I can craft something cool, if only a diorama of one of my dreams or something.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm gonna really dive into sculpting this weekend by trying to recreate various drawings and such I've seen online that I liked. I haven't drawn anything or done any 3D modeling in a long ass time and all my creativeness has gone into programming in recent years, so coming up with original visuals isn't.. easy. Might as well lower the bar by trying to recreate stuff, and if I get hooked I'll start using my imagination.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Sry if already posted but that interview with Mark Healey is interesting.
www.videogameschronicle.com

Interview: Media Molecule’s grand ambitions for Dreams | VGC

Co-founder Mark Healey discusses plans for PS5…

So Dreams is Media Molecule's new game development engine?

That's what it is. If Dreams doesn't succeed for whatever reason, then we'll just use it to make our next game anyway because technically the stuff that's made in Dreams can be pulled out and work as a standalone product anyway.

We're currently working on VR, so we're going to do a VR update with VR content.

What's the timescale for that?

Just as soon as possible. I'll probably get in trouble if I try and say a date, but literally as soon as possible.

And what about multiplayer support?

That's probably the next thing after that I'd say.

Do you plan to release a mixture of free and premium DLC?

Yeah absolutely that's something we plan to do.

What might we see on the premium side?

So the VR update, that's just going to be an update for example, but if we were to spend longer, let's say we were going to do something based on an IP, even one of our own IPs, we could do a LittleBigPlanet pack for example. If we did that, then if we were going to sell it, I think it would have to have, we'd want it to be worth some money and it would have to come with enough content to warrant buying it essentially, I think that's the bottom line.

Nov 21, 2019
I do wonder what would happen if someone were to perfectly replicate the content of the premium DLC inside Dreams? Would that be some sort of piracy? Lol. I guess it has to be like he said, content that would be worth buying instead of creating.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Do people don't customize their homespace? I spent like an hour trying to put mine, and checking other users, it seems that nobody has changed it.

Conker: "Almost 10 years without a new game, guess we'll have to make our own"
They probably forgot to release the homespace. But I did miNe

I do wonder what would happen if someone were to perfectly replicate the content of the premium DLC inside Dreams? Would that be some sort of piracy? Lol. I guess it has to be like he said, content that would be worth buying instead of creating.

Someone should start recreating the campaign so we have a dbug game

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017