• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
It's the kind of thing you probably won't be spending more than 30 minutes at a time with, once you've chewed through all the initial content. You want to be able to pop in and pop out of Dreams on a whim. Playing it on disc would be a pretty huge hassle.
Yeah thats what I was leaning towards cause this makes sense.

Is there any digital deal? Or Playstation gift card deal?

Nov 2, 2018
Fan-made trailer we made showcasing the breadth of creation possible in Dreams, this trailer shows off many of the different genres of games made in Dreams:

There is an in-game collection where all of the Dreams in this video can be found and added to your queue

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Kotaku just put this article:

kotaku.com

How To Get Started Making Things In Dreams

Dreams isn’t just a game. It’s a creativity incubator with endless possibilities. If you can dream it, you can create it. Want to make a breakfast that looks more realistic than a Naughty Dog cutscene? Go for it! A cute kaiju boat-eating simulator? Sure! A recreation of the Air Buster boss fight...

There's not much new for some people, but for people starting, it has a few good advice; specially for new creators:

It's "important to remember not to let those creations intimidate you," said Heppe. Yes, Dreams may have hit shelves just a week ago, but it's been in an early-access state since April 2019, and available as an open beta before that. These genius creators have had months to fiddle with the tools and build off each other's creations.

"It's good to keep in mind, with Dreams, everyone has started from the same place," said Heppe. "Everyone starts out having to learn!"

Last edited:

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I might be the only one but i feel the "game x made in Dreams" threads doesn't help promote Dreams at all, on the contrary. At best, a very tiny fragment of "game x" is being recreated without any indication that it will ever grow into anything more than that in the future, assuming that it would indeed be possible (which will almost never be the case). There will never be a Fallout 4, Assasin's Creed, Sonic, Fifa or whatever else game being made in Dreams and that's totally fine by me.

Meanwhile, solid attempts at fun, fully fledged and original games are being ignored. I'd rather see a thread about games like Spherical, which seems real, fun, well thought out and realistically do-able, tbh.

Oct 26, 2017
Day two (ish) of my project and I've added a couple of things, but the death animation I tried didn't work out too well. I rerouted the signal from "no life" to go past a timeline where a keyframe plays, and then back to the "dead" input. But that always leaves me with the puppet de-possessed. It's supposed to, for now, just respawn.

I'll get back to that. I've started setting up some gameplay elements. It took a while to get a box working. I want to be able to push it, but that presented new challenges. One is aligning it to the 2D plane, which I did with a follower and a gyro (otherwise I can just push past it like a turnstile). But since it's on a gyro, it won't tilt on slopes. Slopes themself also present a problem since the character sort of slides down them at 45 degrees, even though I've set it to be able to walk on 50 degrees. I guess it's a physics thing. Finally, it took a lot of time to arrange a pushing animation. I now have a sensor in the box, so if the player comes near it stretches out its arms. The keyframe also changes the collision box for the player so that it's wider, otherwise you can move into the box even though the hands are pushing forward. It's a little glitchy and I'd like for the box to feel heavier (I've increased the weight and friction of it but I guess the movement strength of the puppet pushes through regardless).

Either way it's beginning to actually feel like a game when there's actual interaction and stuff. Tomorrow I'll have a look at some combat animation.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bunch of ways to save time creating. My scene needed a mountain, and there was no way I was going to spend the next 30 minutes making one from scratch. Quick search and I got what I was looking for!

They definitely streamlined the whole process of creating

Oct 25, 2017
My text and exploration heavy glitchwave adventure is coming along. I am sort of loving the low thermo pursuit of large, dense worlds. I'll get to painting/stroking up the joint later. Using a lot of lovely community music as temp/inspiration while I scrum.

Feel free to give it a queue/looksee/whirl. By my guesstimate, I'm probably about a tenth of the way done with this bit.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Got a rough future cop mech up and running. Not sure how I'm going to transform it to the hover tank yet. But my priority is the auto targeting aiming system with moving reticle... No idea where to even start with that though? Not seen anyone do it already where I could take it from either... 🤔

Oct 25, 2017
Got a rough future cop mech up and running. Not sure how I'm going to transform it to the hover tank yet. But my priority is the auto targeting aiming system with moving reticle... No idea where to even start with that though? Not seen anyone do it already where I could take it from either... 🤔
Maybe creating a tag that each targetable object has a point camera object when L2'd or something. Probably lots of ways to get it going.

Oct 25, 2017
From Reddit:

n90pp9di2bh41.jpg

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I personally think that the amount of "this game, but in Dreams" is bad optics for Dreams because it doesn't show the really unique games that are out there, and unfortunately it is all the conversation that exists because Sony has completely dropped the ball on marketing it effectively. The focus on other IPs -- most of which try to replicate the aesthetic of those games -- misrepresents the truly unique aesthetic that Dreams has to offer as a game engine and the creativity of all the games and artistic pieces being made in it.

I can't remember a Sony first party title that got such great reviews ever getting so little marketing support. They just pushed it out to sea and said, "Good luck!"

Nov 21, 2019
I personally think that the amount of "this game, but in Dreams" is bad optics for Dreams because it doesn't show the really unique games that are out there, and unfortunately it is all the conversation that exists because Sony has completely dropped the ball on marketing it effectively. The focus on other IPs -- most of which try to replicate the aesthetic of those games -- misrepresents the truly unique aesthetic that Dreams has to offer as a game engine.

I can't remember a Sony first party title that got such great reviews ever getting so little marketing support. They just pushed out to sea and said, "Good luck!"

It's especially weird seeing how Shuhei Yoshida love Dreams and how Sony said they're going to support it for 10 years. It's unfortunate but I still think recreating other IPs is the best shot Dreams have currently just to get the word out.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I personally think that the amount of "this game, but in Dreams" is bad optics for Dreams because it doesn't show the really unique games that are out there, and unfortunately it is all the conversation that exists because Sony has completely dropped the ball on marketing it effectively. The focus on other IPs -- most of which try to replicate the aesthetic of those games -- misrepresents the truly unique aesthetic that Dreams has to offer as a game engine and the creativity of all the games and artistic pieces being made in it.

Agreed. And especially considering "______ remade in Dreams" is pretty clickbaity, since typically it's only a tiny slice of whatever game they're remaking. And since they're comparing it directly to AAA titles the creators are aping, it makes Dreams not hold up super well, since OBVIOUSLY a single person can't properly replicate the work of dozens or hundreds of people.

I much prefer seeing the original creations people make, or even stuff that is clearly inspired by another game, like Pip Gemwalker being a game in the STYLE of Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker. Which, by the way, is a great style of game to try and do, since it's pretty small scale and somewhat feasible for one person to do and have it actually hold up well.

Nov 21, 2019
But I think regardless of everything else complete mimickry of an existing game will help creators really learn about game development and design from those established IPs so I wouldn't rule out those creators to be inspired to create something original in the future.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I just spent four hours going through so many people's creations.

This is going to be INCREDIBLE once VR is implemented.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Day two (ish) of my project and I've added a couple of things, but the death animation I tried didn't work out too well. I rerouted the signal from "no life" to go past a timeline where a keyframe plays, and then back to the "dead" input. But that always leaves me with the puppet de-possessed. It's supposed to, for now, just respawn.

I'll get back to that. I've started setting up some gameplay elements. It took a while to get a box working. I want to be able to push it, but that presented new challenges. One is aligning it to the 2D plane, which I did with a follower and a gyro (otherwise I can just push past it like a turnstile). But since it's on a gyro, it won't tilt on slopes. Slopes themself also present a problem since the character sort of slides down them at 45 degrees, even though I've set it to be able to walk on 50 degrees. I guess it's a physics thing. Finally, it took a lot of time to arrange a pushing animation. I now have a sensor in the box, so if the player comes near it stretches out its arms. The keyframe also changes the collision box for the player so that it's wider, otherwise you can move into the box even though the hands are pushing forward. It's a little glitchy and I'd like for the box to feel heavier (I've increased the weight and friction of it but I guess the movement strength of the puppet pushes through regardless).

Either way it's beginning to actually feel like a game when there's actual interaction and stuff. Tomorrow I'll have a look at some combat animation.

for my cave flyer I think I used a looke ]r set to a specific tag so it was always facing the same way - allowed it to rotate left/right while locking any rotation in the other two axes. You can also try tweaking the gyro to see if you can exclude specific axes so it will allow tilting

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a question for some of you "Dreamers" who have an ample amount of hands-on experience with the creation suite:

How difficult would it be to create a narrative, text and dialogue driven adventure game with multiple branching story paths?

Speaking as someone who is a writer and might want to flex is writing skills.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It's especially weird seeing how Shuhei Yoshida love Dreams and how Sony said they're going to support it for 10 years. It's unfortunate but I still think recreating other IPs is the best shot Dreams have currently just to get the word out.

The problem is it puts MM in a shit position because they can't advertise or feature any of it.

It's not a bad thing for viral marketing, but the thing Dreams needs most is high quality original content.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Here's a question for some of you "Dreamers" who have an ample amount of hands-on experience with the creation suite:

How difficult would it be to create a narrative, text and dialogue driven adventure game with multiple branching story paths?

That should be pretty straightforward to do I think. There's already a few out there.

indreams.me

Indreams

Welcome to Indreams, the online sharing portal for all the incredible creations made in Dreams.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017

That depends on a lot of things. Do you want to use animations and cameras? Do you want a character that can move around and talk to people in different orders? NPCs that do things and stand in different places afterwards?

I'm making something like that at the moment, and the logic has become far more complex than I had expected.

The dialogue writing took me 3 days, but putting the whole thing together took me 3 months. So if you want to concentrate on the writing and get something done in a reasonable time frame, my advice is to keep all other aspects as simple as possible. Everything in Dreams is relatively easy to do in isolation, but if you want them to work together as a whole, it's a whole different story.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
Just spent half an hour playing a few Dreams pinball tables. This is the one thing I really want to make, and there are already some really impressive ones available. Great stuff.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
So I'm assuming I can make a Resident Evil type game of sorts as long as it's within the realm of cartoon violence?

The game uses x as confirm in the JP release. : (

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley

Branching paths are super easy with the door/portal system and being able able to link to different levels.

Also here is a protip - when you're in the creation editor on your PS4 and using the text gadget, the InDreams.me website has a "keyboard" tool that you can paste text into, and it appears right in the game!

dumb question but can i customize my hub world?
If you mean the homespace, yes, absolutely. Go to "Dream Shaping" and it will walk you through a tutorial that includes decorating your own homespace, and unlocks "imp quests" that further unlock goodies (and more imp variations!)