• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Respect to MM for this speedy and correct response. Nice one. It's a great model. This and that demo with the realistic hands shows there is genuine scope for visuals produced in Dreams that perhaps no one truly expected, and we have individual users putting out super high quality work by themselves on a PS4 with just a DS4 or Moves that puts some AAA devs to shame.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, no moderation is ever perfect... 😅

Glad they caught it and reversed it. It's a great model!

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is very quickly becoming my game of the generation, or at the very least "best game on PS4".

The sheer amount of creativity on display, the functionality of the "social network", the ease of jumping in and out of COMPLETELY DIFFERENT experiences within 10 seconds of each other....

This game is just awesome...I can't believe how much I love it. All I want to do is dream surf lol. I've barely touched the tools because I find them so damn intimidating, but I also have so many ideas....we'll see! For now, surfing is just fucking awesome.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This game is very quickly becoming my game of the generation, or at the very least "best game on PS4".

The sheer amount of creativity on display, the functionality of the "social network", the ease of jumping in and out of COMPLETELY DIFFERENT experiences within 10 seconds of each other....

This game is just awesome...I can't believe how much I love it. All I want to do is dream surf lol. I've barely touched the tools because I find them so damn intimidating, but I also have so many ideas....we'll see! For now, surfing is just fucking awesome.

I love how quick the games load up too. That's massive. If the games had to download and save and then load up like a traditional game it'd kill the Dreamsurfing aspect of it. How it is in Dreams is just perfect.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love how quick the games load up too. That's massive. If the games had to download and save and then load up like a traditional game it'd kill the Dreamsurfing aspect of it. How it is in Dreams is just perfect.
Yes, definitely. The experience is perfectly tailored for exactly what they wanted it to be, and it really shows.

I'm sitting at my desk (at work) and I wish I was at home playing lmao.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Trying just to create a marble run at the moment and jeez the Dualshock controls take A LOT of getting used to. Are the Move controls significantly better for Dream shaping?

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know when the actual deadline for the community jam is? I made a pretty sweet character inspired by the bears @puddydoke on twitter made but I wanted to place him in a scene before releasing him but thanks to my excellent time management skills I'm only 25% done with the scene at best and I dno when the deadline actually is. It says 1 day left but does anyone know if it'll transition to hours left at some point? Here's a sneak preview of the character for the ResetEra Dreamers.

wDSq5cH.jpg
I don't know the answer to your question but that model is super cool. Well done. You've given him so much life in his eyes

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
So far the thing has been super overwhelming, don't know how many hours it will take for me to start making the graphic adventure I have in mind.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
The loading times are a massive boon to this game. The whole engine design (which is largely what took so long for them to get right) is part of what makes Dreams so great. This new engine will be doing amazing things with next gen power. Already on PS4 it can pull off near CGI levels in the right hands, at respectable frame rates. While it's got its downsides as well I'm confident with next gen power it will be robust enough that users at home will be able to make games comparable to AAA games at times in terms of visuals and polish if not sheer scale of something like GTAV for instance. However conversely maybe they can because if you have a few hundred creators teaming up (and the asset sharing of Dreams is a huge plus here which basically means that's happening already even if you don't know who's asset you are using) maybe Dreams can bring to the table massive polished games. I think it can. It will take time but this engine and the whole structure of Dreams will lead to great things.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I've only seen clips here and there, but I'm buying this after payday.

Can you build 2D games, too?

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I've only seen clips here and there, but I'm buying this after payday.

Can you build 2D games, too?
If you can think it you can do it. The only limits really are scale (partly size but you can make huge levels, but more in terms of unique assets, you couldn't have thousands of differently styled characters on screen for instance). Other than that the limit is your imagination and your brainpower to work out how to achieve what you want. So yeah 2D is very much possible from flat 2D to Inside style 2.5D games. Anything is possible.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you can think it you can do it. The only limits really are scale (partly size but you can make huge levels, but more in terms of unique assets, you couldn't have thousands of differently styled characters on screen for instance). Other than that the limit is your imagination and your brainpower to work out how to achieve what you want. So yeah 2D is very much possible from flat 2D to Inside style 2.5D games. Anything is possible.
How about a game with heavily pixelated graphics, like ZX Spectrum style?

Everything I've seen so far as a 2D examples looks like 3D but with a fixed camera. Do you have any good examples that you know of?

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know when the actual deadline for the community jam is? I made a pretty sweet character inspired by the bears @puddydoke on twitter made but I wanted to place him in a scene before releasing him but thanks to my excellent time management skills I'm only 25% done with the scene at best and I dno when the deadline actually is. It says 1 day left but does anyone know if it'll transition to hours left at some point? Here's a sneak preview of the character for the ResetEra Dreamers.

wDSq5cH.jpg

Name that dude's Hippie Hippo. :)

I didn't know that they were giving away a deadline?

DLH

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still a beginner in dreamshaping, and for the most part I find controlling it to be intuitive, but I keep getting annoyed with how movement works when you're holding an object.

Strafing left/right/up/down while holding an object is intuitive, because your camera moves in lock step with the object you're holding. However, it doesn't exactly work that way when moving forwards/backwards. When trying to move backwards, the object moves closer to you while the camera stays still, until it reaches a point where the camera moves with it. That really affects my perception of where the object is in 3D space. If the camera always moved in lockstep with the object, I think I'd be able to "feel" how far I myself had moved forward/back, which would give me a better sense of how far the object had moved. With the way it is though, it feels more like the object is growing or shrinking, and I always end up surprised by its position when I rotate the camera.

Does anyone else feel that way, or do you find that you get used to it after awhile?

Oct 27, 2017
I made a small "level", two islands with a bridge and a stone structure at the end of one island. The player crosses the bridge and when they arrive at the other island the camera zooms in and angles up, looking up at the stone structure while some dramatic music plays. The stone structure is emitting some mysterious audible buzzing. After a few seconds the camera returns to the player. When the player returns to that spot just off the bridge, this animation won't play again.

Some of this was easier to do than it was to describe to you.

Things I know are possible by still have to learn/re-learn:

- Having a stone structure rise from the ground - a hand-animated rising/shaking with some animated dust/dirt and a rumbling sound would do it - the dust/dirt are just flecks/brush strokes
- Displaying the name of the stone structure when the camera highlights it

It takes bit to absorb just how particular things work, even after doing the tutorials.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I'm still a beginner in dreamshaping, and for the most part I find controlling it to be intuitive, but I keep getting annoyed with how movement works when you're holding an object.

Strafing left/right/up/down while holding an object is intuitive, because your camera moves in lock step with the object you're holding. However, it doesn't exactly work that way when moving forwards/backwards. When trying to move backwards, the object moves closer to you while the camera stays still, until it reaches a point where the camera moves with it. That really affects my perception of where the object is in 3D space. If the camera always moved in lockstep with the object, I think I'd be able to "feel" how far I myself had moved forward/back, which would give me a better sense of how far the object had moved. With the way it is though, it feels more like the object is growing or shrinking, and I always end up surprised by its position when I rotate the camera.

Does anyone else feel that way, or do you find that you get used to it after awhile?

I have more or less the same problem but after a while you get use to it, I mean you'll still struggle a bit but sometimes you use it in a way that feels natural. I'm sure I'm still learning but last night I was surprised how I could move and rotate shapes in the way I wanted without even think about it.

DLH

Oct 25, 2017
I have more or less the same problem but after a while you get use to it, I mean you'll still struggle a bit but sometimes you use it in a way that feels natural. I'm sure I'm still learning but last night I was surprised how I could move and rotate shapes in the way I wanted without even think about it.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll get used to it too. I kinda wish there was a setting for it, but I know I can't expect a setting for every tiny little aspect of editing. It just feels so natural to move the camera around in 3D space and I wish it felt equally natural to move objects around in 3D space.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
twitter.com

Media Molecule on Twitter

“Our Mm Jams stream this week is all about Animation in #DreamsPS4! 🥳 Tune in tomorrow, February 25th, at 5PM GMT to learn some tips, tricks and handy how to's on animating in the Dreamiverse! #MadeInDreams”

might be good if they got something planned.
don't wing it.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I personally think this is the more interesting Sonic Dream because he's started with the gameplay (which is looking pretty solid) rather than the holistic approach of the Sonic Adventure project.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I personally think this is the more interesting Sonic Dream because he's started with the gameplay (which is looking pretty solid) rather than the holistic approach of the Sonic Adventure project.

Yeah, from a gameplay standpoint this definitely seems more well put together than most of the Sonic projects I've seen. Is there an indreams link?

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How about a game with heavily pixelated graphics, like ZX Spectrum style?

Everything I've seen so far as a 2D examples looks like 3D but with a fixed camera. Do you have any good examples that you know of?

indreams.me

PIXEL - Road 🚌

Check all our Games in the COLLECTION "Twin Brothers Production"

indreams.me

PIXEL WARZ

This score attack game is inspired by Space Invaders with an emphasis on music beats. Enjoy!

indreams.me

Owl Rescue 🦉

Check all our Games in the COLLECTION "Twin Brothers Production".

There's even this:

indreams.me

Sprite Helper

This is a work space that I made to simplify 32 x 32 sprite making. I also made one that is 64 x 64, which you can find under the older versions section of this tool. <br>Feel free to send me your creations, I'd love to see what you've made with it. ^_^

astro

Oct 25, 2017
indreams.me

PIXEL - Road 🚌

Check all our Games in the COLLECTION "Twin Brothers Production"

indreams.me

PIXEL WARZ

This score attack game is inspired by Space Invaders with an emphasis on music beats. Enjoy!

indreams.me

Owl Rescue 🦉

Check all our Games in the COLLECTION "Twin Brothers Production".

There's even this:

indreams.me

Sprite Helper

This is a work space that I made to simplify 32 x 32 sprite making. I also made one that is 64 x 64, which you can find under the older versions section of this tool. <br>Feel free to send me your creations, I'd love to see what you've made with it. ^_^
Thanks, good to know it can be done!

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
I tried Spherical too. It's pretty damn awesome.

Also tried Rally 2020, which was surprisingly fun although plenty janky.

I saw some copy-paste jobs with an adorable owl character in a hat. Does anyone know where that is from? Both dreams I saw had like 200 people in the credits so it's hard to find the original one.

Edit: Oh, it was easier to find on Indreams: https://indreams.me/element/ojLsRcjVHok/genealogy

Edit: No, that was a remix. It's hard to keep track: https://indreams.me/element/oYnCSvifFoN

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
It actually kind of annoys me that you can remix a thing and just save it yourself with a new name. Even if it's still traceable back to the original. If someone uses it in some way, fine, that's what's Dreams is about. If someone adds to a character with a new animation or something, great. But blatantly just reposting? Eh.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Still getting used to the creation tools, it's satisfying knowing that eventually it will all make sense but the journey is longer than I expected lol.

Been drafting up my ideas but the main thing is to get them into action, but before that I have to learn how to make the objects I want to properly. And the enemies, and of course...the guns. (It will be an FPS).

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
It actually kind of annoys me that you can remix a thing and just save it yourself with a new name. Even if it's still traceable back to the original. If someone uses it in some way, fine, that's what's Dreams is about. If someone adds to a character with a new animation or something, great. But blatantly just reposting? Eh.

I'm not sure there is a viable way to moderate this that wouldn't be easily circumventable. If they tried to detect remixes that are re-released with minimal changes, then you'd just be able to make trivial changes until you get over the threshold.

Do we know how sales are performing?

We can get a sense of the sales because every user who logs on is by default set to follow the mmdreamqueen account. Currently that account has 265k followers, and it's growing at a rate of about 9-10k per day.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
glad i skipped the gym today.; replayed the love jam entry and its broken in some area. let me just polish it.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I just started the campaign after many hours of checking out user content. The visuals and presentation that Media Molecule manages to get out of this engine is truly amazing, especially Art's parts. Love the visual style. Media Molecule has always had very talented and creative artists.

I'd be curious to see some form of LBP reimaging by Media Molecule in Dreams.

Oct 25, 2017
I just started the campaign after many hours of checking out user content. The visuals and presentation that Media Molecule manages to get out of this engine is truly amazing, especially Art's parts. Love the visual style. Media Molecule has always had very talented and creative artists.

I'd be curious to see some form of LBP reimaging by Media Molecule in Dreams.
They've dabbled