• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Looks like the first review for Dreams is out. I am so happy for MM. Truly such a talented studio.

Only thing that gives me pause is reviewing Early Access games. I think games in EA should not be reviewed because by definition they are work in progress games and also with this being a limited release at the moment.

That said very happy for Media Molecule. They have worked so hard for so many years.

I wonder if Metacritic and OpenCritic will add this one early lol.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it will review really, really well.

That said, I am not sure I like the idea of reviewing Early Acess games.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dreams has always been a day 1 purchase for me regardless. That said, I thought there was a good chance of this reviewing "average" because it's in a genre into itself and as a result reviewers might not "get" Dreams.

It seems I was wrong.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Dreams has always been a day 1 purchase for me regardless. That said, I thought there was a good chance of this reviewing "average" because it's in a genre into itself and as a result reviewers might not "get" Dreams.

It seems I was wrong.

If I were a betting man Dreams will be one of the most critically acclaimed games of this gen. This is LBP on steroids.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Dreamsurf is basically the ultimate "game and chill" experience.
If Sony manages this game well I think they could have a big hit for this and next gen in their hands.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I think it will review really, really well.

That said, I am not sure I like the idea of reviewing Early Acess games.
It might be Early Access but it ain't free. I think it's fair for critics to review something that's at least in a state where you buy it to play it. They can then do another review of the final product upon its release.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I mean, outside Unity, Unreal and modding communities tied to dedicated games, there is nothing quite like Dreams. Based on the scale of ambition alone, it far outdoes LBP which received myriad perfect scores back in the day.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad this turned out well. For awhile the narrative around this thing was kind of like WTF is Media Molecule doing and will this ever actually come out. Turns out they absolutely knew what they were doing. Some of the stuff that's already been made is nothing short of jawdropping.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is going to underperform (commercially), I'm afraid. People still haven't grasped what exactly is Dreams and it's not something you can communicate easily either.

This is not a wish but a prediction. I don't want it to Bomb.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The perfect sketch book. One of the very few things that has kept me engaged for more than a few hours at a time, can't get enough and only once looked at other people's stuff. I very nearly hard bounces off it in the initial hours but once that was out of the way, my word it's good.

jml

Mar 9, 2018

It seems I was wrong.

I think it'll generally review well and will get 10s from the publications that really "get" Dreams but I still think it'll be a little polarizing with some publications. The creation tools are gonna overwhelm the fuck out of some people and some places will take points off for the controls because they take some getting used to.

Oct 25, 2017
It makes the game a creative suite and the creative suite a game. The quality of creations is only going to improve, and when ps5 dreams hits, expect another leap forward. Still yet to come, VR support, multi-online and the single-player campaign, but what's there for thirty is easily a ten.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Such a talented studio, really hope this game does very well. If it flops then I fear the worst for media molecule.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
This game will do better than LBP when Sony's marketing kicks in. I am optimistic.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel this game is going to be attacked my many lawsuits, what is stopping people from basically re-creating other license games out there?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, outside Unity, Unreal and modding communities tied to dedicated games, there is nothing quite like Dreams. Based on the scale of ambition alone, it far outdoes LBP which received myriad perfect scores back in the day.
There's gamemaker and rpgmaker and quite a few communities based around screwing around in an engine but I guess you could say nothing on console quite like it since LBP.

I feel this game is going to be attacked my many lawsuits, what is stopping people from basically re-creating other license games out there?

They'll probably comply with DMCA so they'll probably pull stuff if a company sends it in to protect themselves.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I were a betting man Dreams will be one of the most critically acclaimed games of this gen. This is LBP on steroids.
I think it'll generally review well and will get 10s from the publications that really "get" Dreams but I still think it'll be a little polarizing with some publications. The creation tools are gonna overwhelm the fuck out of some people and some places will take points off for the controls because they take some getting used to.

I know the PS community has embraced Dreams but we're living in an age where the latest PS game was deducted scores for not being comparable to other PS games. Personally, I can't wait for the full release. I'm just acknowledging that the review community can be finicky.

Personally I think the game would sell well regardless and then the community creates something within the game that give the game extra long legs. Redefining games as a service in the process.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
We're talking about MM, who developed the incredible LBP, we'll get to see more reviews but it can't get better than a 10.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Seems early given the game is just the creation suite (plus the playable user creations themselves), but honestly... even with all the improvements it could use and will surely get, I think that it's enough to warrant scores like these. Despite how long this game has been in the pipeline, it still feels like something from the future. The breadth of worthwhile user content is already large, and it will only get larger and more worthwhile from here on.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely cannot wait for dreams, esp that MM SP content.

OPM is not exactly known as a bastion of review integrity though, are they?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Haven't touched the game since launch week. I expected creating to be a bit more intuitive so i'm waiting to see something impressive from other creators that makes me jump back in.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Looks like Destructoid has review up for the early access. Both of these have been included in Metacritic so looks like they mark these reviews as Early Access

I'm impressed Dreams is exactly what Media Molecule set out to make: a game that encourages a wide range of creative fields to come together and inspire each other day after day. Dreams reawakened something inside of me, and I hope it gets the support it deserves. I can see it fostering a generation of fledgling artists, designers, and musicians as they follow their passion. [Early Access Review]

https://www.destructoid.com/early-access-review-dreams-551863.phtml

Hype!

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
This game is going to underperform (commercially), I'm afraid. People still haven't grasped what exactly is Dreams and it's not something you can communicate easily either.

This is not a wish but a prediction. I don't want it to Bomb.
You only say that because they haven't marketed the game. Of course it seems that way now.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Really excited for Dreams, but I'm predicting 86-88 meta at the end of the day. I just don't see it having a broad enough appeal for the wide range of reviewers.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of Early Access reviews. Wait for the gold master that people will actually buy. And even though I love Dreams and have been using it since the beta, it has some rough edges and I'm not sure I'd give it a 10 right now. A 10 on concept and ambition, certainly, but on execution it's not quite there yet. But that's why it's still in EA and why it shouldn't be reviewed yet.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
Thats awesome, hope it will be the first of many! Been a big fan of MM since the first LBP.