• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Dreams PS4 marketing is finally starting to make sense

I don't make threads often but Media Molecule's biggest issue is how they present Dreams to the general public. Everything seemed ambiguous and vague about what Dreams really is, but now I'm pleased to say they found the right message as seen in the Early Access launch trailer. https://youtu.be/pbIjUA4-M2U
In this trailer, the message of "You Are the Architect of Your Imagination" is clear and concise. You can create basically everything in this game and share it to the world. That makes more sense than saying "You can make your own dreams!" which causes the audience to question what those 'dreams' are.

In addition to the easier to understand message, Dreams has the benefit of being launched in an environment where the Internet can market the game itself. It could be something like Minecraft where YouTube is filled to the brim with content from that game. Media Molecule and Sony would likely encourage players to share their experiences with the game online by any means necessary. Hell, they're already doing that. Dreams is no longer to hugely ambitious game that no one can describe. With the more cohesive message, Dreams is starting to form into something more solid and tangible and has the potential to excite millions of people.

Oct 30, 2017
It's a bit of a shame that Sony decided to push out their PS5 "reveal" on release day, so Dreams' one chance to be the PlayStation headline of the day was trashed.
This is not true, yesterday* was just the release of a limited early access to the game. Marketing will go into full swing once the “full game” has a concrete date. And guess what, thanks to the early access, there will be a ton of user made content ready for the full game from day one, when the general public buy into the game.

Apr 14, 2019
It's a bit of a shame that Sony decided to push out their PS5 "reveal" on release day, so Dreams' one chance to be the PlayStation headline of the day was trashed.
I'm pretty sure MM is thankful for not being the headline of that day. They want an EA filled with hardcore creators, not casuals just jumping on the price promotion and then creating nothing.

Oct 28, 2017
It would be cool if they made a video and referenced

Lbp and started the video like "Remember Lbp and its wonderful creations (with a few vids) well Dreams is our next big game and an evolution of this genre with creation tools further expanded, in a 3D universe, blah blah blah (with videos showing its creations). Just an idea, I think it would give ppl a tangible idea of what Dreams is.

Oct 27, 2017
This is not true, yesterday* was just the release of a limited early access to the game. Marketing will go into full swing once the “full game” has a concrete date. And guess what, thanks to the early access, there will be a ton of user made content ready for the full game from day one, when the general public buy into the game.
That doesn't change the fact that the PS5 specs reveal totally overshadowed their early access launch.

Of course they will have a proper launch, i mean that goes without saying.

But considering Media Molecule is a Sony owned studio, it just seems like very bad communication and planning.

Why have one win when you can have two?

Oct 27, 2017
Early Access is gonna give MM a ton of material for trailers and other video. The sheer variety of Dreams is a real selling point, even for players who don't plan on creating anything. Between the PT recreation and MM's two-player, couch hammer fight last night I was alternately scared and amused. There's real potential there and once more polished creations hit in volume the marketing material will literally be ready-made.

The only tough thing is going to be conveying the easy feeling of playing the game to people who haven't had it in their hands. It'll be hard to convince people that there's depth if they just see some impressive works cross cut into one another. But the ability to chain together levels allows for some sprawling possibilities.

I'm excited for the cross-genre experiments that the creation tools might encourage. Since a lot of the creation tools already encourage 3D modeling, even for 2D games, I wonder how often there will be games that break back and forth through those dimensions. Some existing games do that, in some ways, but things could get really wild. I'd love to see someone go for a Persona 5-style mix between 3D exploration and then fixed, turn-based combat. The FFVII combat test that someone put together could really grow into something interesting.