• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where will Dreams end up?

• 95+

Votes: 201 11.8%
  • 90-95

Votes: 774 45.4%
  • 85-90

Votes: 374 21.9%
  • 80-85

Votes: 192 11.3%
  • 75-80

Votes: 88 5.2%
  • 70-75

Votes: 35 2.1%
  • Under 70

Votes: 41 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
oLUtEDH.png

Is this a screen of yesterday? Because xQc streamed the game and he had literally 23K viewers, that's why it was up there.

Oct 27, 2017
yea i just played through it today , its like 2~3 hours, but those few hours are managed really well, however, i dont think you should look at Art's Dream as the single player compnent and the rest as extra modes, its just MM showing what you can do with the tools and give players the inspiration to create themselves, you have a lot more single player content to play via the creations of others.

Art's Dream is 2-3 hours long, and it kinda is an easing in to the possibilities and some concepts, a showpiece, but it's not their only offering in isolation, the mm team have made dozens of other Dreams. The real "campain" is the suite of reworked and new tutorials, and as such that's going to be an ongoing process, too. It's not like LBP where there was a game that came with tools to produce your own levels in the same genre (despite plenty of people trying to break that as much as possible), Dreams is the suite of tools, the website and the whole framework that goes in to presenting it and making it work on a social level first, and the Dreams, including Art's Dream, follow on from that.

Aaahh, yeah. Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification :)

Someone make a 2D Sonic game in Dreams plz

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing reviews so far for an amazing game creation engine. Brings me great joy that it's also clicking with others. Dreams is magic.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I am legitimately surprised at the scores. Congrats to Media Molécule!

I wonder if a PC editor is in the works. That would really push me over the edge.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017

I wonder if a PC editor is in the works. That would really push me over the edge.
I do understand the need of a PC port. Yet first, PCs already have tones of powerful tools. Probably not as compeling and integrated, but more powerful for sure.
Second and most important, Dreams works on a frame of reference that's the hardware it runs on. If you take that away, it's a complete mess, and even if you keep the thermo limitation, not a great number of people will be able to play your game. Let's not forget the fraction of people having a pc as powerful as a ps4pro is still not the majority.
If you take away the thermo limit, it will be adored by hardcore creators, and likely useless to many.

Net net, the fact content can be freely created and shared makes that game even more a headache to port to a shapeshifting performance platform than any other game.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

If I'm Sony I would be seriously considering both a PC port as well as making it a PS5 pack in. Dreams isn't some one and done retail game. It's an engine that could be used all over for years. I would be looking at ways for end users to charge real money for their creations as well as porting to mobile. Go all in.

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, it seems to be pretty extensive, considering the sort of games people were able to translate or somewhat remake. I'll give it a shot when I can. Looks far more interesting to me than their previous games

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
If I'm Sony I would be seriously considering both a PC port as well as making it a PS5 pack in. Dreams isn't some one and done retail game. It's an engine that could be used all over for years. I would be looking at ways for end users to charge real money for their creations as well as porting to mobile. Go all in.
It's not just an engine. It's a 3D Modeling software, a music recording and editing software, an animation software, a digital painting software... and more.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Apologies if these have been posted already. I did give the last page a quick scan and saw nothing...

Checkpoint Gaming - 10/10
After a long journey, Media Molecule has finally made it. Dreams is out with its full launch, with what's assumed to be much support to follow. I'm now completely enamoured with the game and can't wait to see what it looks like in a year, two, or hell, hopefully even ten.

GameMAG - 9/10 (Review is in Russian)
The story of Dreams is an absolute delight, but it is not just a set of levels with an editor, but a full – fledged constructor for creating a variety of games. Many players around the world are creating small games with different mechanics and complex projects with RPG elements. Thanks to the built-in social network indreams.me, you can always find something interesting and maybe - small masterpiece. And if you want to create for yourself, then Dreams provides a wide range of tools for realizing your fantasies.

Rapon Tran

Nov 8, 2017
I want to make a chicken in Dreams early access and never ever make it come true. Now.. I will do my best to finish it!

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
This game is great for kids. (and also adults)
I think there is more games (Dreams) in Dreams suitable for 5-8 years than in the entire PS4 catalog.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This game deserves a 11/10.

The amount of polish here, from the smallest things like UI animations and your Imp gestures, to the truly revolutionary interface that made the impossible possible - allow a game controller to be used as a mouse, keyboard, sculpting tool, you name it, plus how freaking powerful the feature set is - it's all absolutely insanely well made.

Can't believe a PS4 runs this. Dreams has so much potential next gen.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a PS4, and I've been considering holding back for PS5 at this point, cos why not wait?

Dreams is making me really reconsider that decision.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Nexus Hub 9.5 / 10

Dreams can simply not be classified as a game alone. It can be a blank canvas, an empty piece of sheet music, an unformed chunk of clay, an open space waiting to be made into something - Dreams can be all of these things, and then even more. Even if you struggle to create something special, the creations of others serve as both inspiration, foundation, and entertainment. A complete creative package, wrapped in a "feel good" package, and presented as an interactive game sets Dreams apart of anything that has been attempted in this genre. Though the controls can be finicky at times, it never reaches the point where it detracts from the overall experience. Media Molecule set out to create something special, and in the end, they've exceeded every and all expectation I had.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I'm chuffed to see people reflecting positively on Dreams being either "not simply a game" or "more than just a game". I know it's Media Molecule and their creativity is revered, but it's wonderful to see people see its potential as something more than a game.

Also, the UI in Dreams deserves an award in and of itself - what an amazing way to present everything it has to offer.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
It's SIE's first 90+ Metacritic game in 2020, after 2 AAA games; Days Gone & Death Stranding.

In which...

Both were below 90 in 2019...

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
The Gamer - 100
www.thegamer.com

Dreams Review: A Dream Is A Wish Your (Gaming) Heart Makes

Dreams doesn't necessarily make game creation "easy," but it's a wonderful software allowing players to create and play many passion projects.
Dreams is a wonderful game. It encourages deep learning and imagination for those who truly want to create. It also encourages collaboration.

Game Over Online - 95
Dreams is a must-have for anyone who has wanted to create a game but didn't have the know-how to make all of the elements work together. Dreams does a better job of teaching you about game logic than any toolset I've used, and makes it fun. It's perfect for any age range and can foster creativity in its users for years to come.

4players.de - 82
www.4players.de

Dreams - Test, Logik & Kreativität

Endlich wird der Traum wahr: Nach langer Entwicklungsphase und ausgiebigem Early Access können kreative Bastler virtuell den Pinsel schwingen. Kooperativ erschaffene Kunstwerke, Animationen und mannigfaltige Spiel-Genres bieten hier meist ein ganz eigenes, malerisch-traumartiges Flair. Ob der...

4players yet again with the lowest score xD
I am already a hater of that site for a long time....

Last edited:

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a PS4, and I've been considering holding back for PS5 at this point, cos why not wait?

Dreams is making me really reconsider that decision.

Have you ever been in awe of a game? Or played an ip that made you say bravo but internally can't quite explain how quickly it resonates. Dreams is that. I'd say pick up a used PS4 if you have to because there are some IP you just don't miss out on.

Dreams is one of them.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
6/10, sometimes they are on OpenCritic
www.fanbyte.com

Dreams Review: Powerful Packaging, Okay Creations

Dreams brings a powerful creation tool to consoles, but does it outshine the countless games already being made and shared online?
This review mirrors most of my experience with the play side. Playing the creations of others is a lot playing not great freeware indie games on itch.io. I would emphasize how this is not a Little Big Planet or Mario Maker situation where most content is at least a little interesting because it takes very little effort to make a complete experience that has the gameplay and visuals of a professionally made game. The very few games that were legitimately interesting and unique makes me feel a little bad that the creators have no ownership of what they made for the same reason. Basically every part of the design which makes it good came from the creators of that content, not from Media Molecule.

That said, the review does leave out how fun it is to use those creation tools, because the reviewer understandably wasn't really interested in using that part of the package. I'm finding it kinda worth it just to build random stuff I have no intention of uploading.

Last edited:

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
PSX-SENSE 9.5 / 10
The end of the generation is in sight, but the British creatives conclude it with their absolute swan song. According to Shuhei Yoshida, Dreams is a 10-year project and with the upcoming appearance of PlayStation 5, Media Molecule's newest project is one for the future. It would, of course, be ideal to be able to work on a game with multiple dreamers or for more and deeper tools to appear. It is ultimately also a game that is difficult to describe with words, because it plays with the limits of the concept of video game as we know it today. It is not only that Dreams is a refined piece of technology, it is above all an appeal to your own fantasy and a revelation of your creativity. Dreams is a studio. Dreams is a museum. Dreams is puzzling. Dreams is LEGO. Dreams is Pixar. Dreams is Disneyland. Dreams is clay and drawing on a Sunday afternoon. Dreams is ... Magnificent.

Gamingbolt 9 / 10
Dreams' story is only beginning. Never before have I had the pleasure of seeing a product that is so obviously flawless, with so much potential for future growth.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Gaming Trend 95 / 100
Dreams is an ambitious game that succeeds on every front where others have failed. Media Molecule took what they designed, developed, and created over the years and encapsulated it into an experience that has endless possibilities; for them and us. It's hard to sum up how groundbreaking and pioneering the game is as it's more than the sum of its parts, it's exactly what you make of it. Let your dreams come true.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Fandemonium Network 9.8 / 10
I felt bad for automatically assuming I'd hate this game, especially after I'd played a bit of it. It genuinely is an absolute delight, just try not to get too lost in the world of Dreams!

Dash Gamer 9.5 / 10
I'm floored, I'm stunned, I'm flabbergasted, and totally left speechless. Dreams is the ultimate gaming development engine for Dreamers. If you have ever considered (even in the slightest) of making your own video game, you can. It's so easy, but it does require some patience. While there may be some minor learning curbs to attain while trying to master it's true potential, Dreams delivers on it's promise to help bring all your ideas to life. It's not just some simple level maker, it's a powerful administration tool that allows you to create your own world. It's one for you to enjoy creating an original experience, and one to experience original creations. Dreams' true capabilities are yet to be discovered, as we are well into it's early days in full release but I have no doubts that not too far in the future, we may see some of the greatest in gaming this year come from this engine, this platform, this wealth of creativity that is the Dreams community. Dreams is essential gaming this year, and truly a must have for all gamers.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
The Gamer - 100
www.thegamer.com

Dreams Review: A Dream Is A Wish Your (Gaming) Heart Makes

Dreams doesn't necessarily make game creation "easy," but it's a wonderful software allowing players to create and play many passion projects.

Game Over Online - 95

4players.de - 82
www.4players.de

Dreams - Test, Logik & Kreativität

Endlich wird der Traum wahr: Nach langer Entwicklungsphase und ausgiebigem Early Access können kreative Bastler virtuell den Pinsel schwingen. Kooperativ erschaffene Kunstwerke, Animationen und mannigfaltige Spiel-Genres bieten hier meist ein ganz eigenes, malerisch-traumartiges Flair. Ob der...

4players yet again with the lowest score xD
I am already a hater of that site for a long time....

The last Part of the conclusion is also fuckin stupid saying that "if you are an ambitious hobbyist, it'd be better if you'd learn to use Unreal Engine". I mean, what?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

It's not, MM have said they are only working on a PS5 version currently and it's not in development for PC. They have mentioned PC a couple times though, so probably a discussion happening, so at least a chance in the future.
metro.co.uk

Dreams on PS5 is ‘obvious next step’ says Media Molecule

The ‘obvious next step’ for PS4 exclusive Dreams is a version on the PS5, according to LittleBigPlanet creator Media Molecule.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This review mirrors most of my experience with the play side. Playing the creations of others is a lot playing not great freeware indie games on itch.io. I would emphasize how this is not a Little Big Planet or Mario Maker situation where most content is at least a little interesting because it takes very little effort to make a complete experience that has the gameplay and visuals of a professionally made game. The very few games that were legitimately interesting and unique makes me feel a little bad that the creators have no ownership of what they made for the same reason. Basically every part of the design which makes it good came from the creators of that content, not from Media Molecule.

That said, the review does leave out how fun it is to use those creation tools, because the reviewer understandably wasn't really interested in using that part of the package. I'm finding it kinda worth it just to build random stuff I have no intention of uploading.

I wouldn't say the comparison to itch.io is quite fair since the overwhelming majority of those games are 2D and with far less production values, scope, diversity and environmental or physics systems.

With respect to gameplay, I think part of the point of Dreams is appreciation beyond just base mechanical input. There's a reason many of the creations are sculptures, works of art, visual design, music, animated pieces, short dramas and so on, because it's less about experiencing and exploring only gameplay, and more about exploring people's visions of creativity in a broader and more general sense.

And yes, of course it's true many of the creations in Dreams are of a less polished calibre comparative to professional game design, but there's a novelty in that too, a quirkyness and element of humour or sense of surprise so to speak, that on consoles at least, there is simply no alternative for at present. In that sense it's not just the accessible tools and sharing platform that are wholly unique on PS4, but the types of experiences that are on offer in Dreams too, and there's huge merit to that.