Dreams - Review Thread

Where will Dreams end up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Karak

Oct 27, 2017
Great video, found it hilarious, especially the jeep level and skiddy controls. I actually really enjoyed that game and how slippery it was. Like you said, it feels like you're constantly on ice or drifting lol. Had a laugh trying it with family.
Ya I dug it as well. it was stupid and should not have been as fun as it was. But it was just sort of nice minigame enjoyment

Jul 28, 2019
It's bad that I want to know more about this? lol

Have fun (post 128 if the link doesn't work)

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
Mexicali, Mexico

What the fuck

Oct 29, 2017
Commenting now alongside the first negative review of the thread seems to be inviting the behaviour that you’re trying to avoid, but okay. Don’t get me wrong, of course everyone is entitled to their opinions, but this one is curious.
Sounds like 'confirmation bias' to me.

Of all the 10s, 9s, and above 8s, hey I only agree with this one 6 / 10 score.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

Holy shit. Wow.
Anyway Dreams is awesome.

BlueManifest

Oct 25, 2017

Is that game’s Critic reviews considered under rated by most people? I thought about buying it when it released

edit: nm I thought the metacritic score was 70 for some reason, maybe it was back when it only had 5 reviews

Last edited:

travisbickle

Oct 27, 2017
I have played Dreams since early access and while I think the creator tools are awesome, I have not found a reason to stick around past the novelty factor (I don’t have any interest in creating). It’s okay that I have a differing opinion and posted a review that voiced my opinion. I don’t post much in Dreams threads because I know I’ll get mobbed for having a differing opinion.

From the review: this is literally the only part of the review that describes creations in Dreams that aren't recognised-ip.

I try some more “made in Dreams” games, ones that aren’t directly inspired by an already existing property. There’s a stripped back prototype of a shooter made using one of Media Molecule’s templates, a lovely art piece showing a pair of bunnies in the snow, a sort of interactive WinAmp visualizer with its own music… They’re all interesting for a few minutes. It’s while playing a pretty 3D platformer that my problem hits me. I open a chest that cheerfully proclaims “1/37 gold found!” I immediately realize I have no interest in finding the rest.
You think that's a fair assessment of what's available in Dreams?

As soon as you go to the "Dream Surfing" page, there's a banner for the Impy Awards (arguably the "best" of what's been made in Early Access), there's a section of "pick up and play" dreams, a section of smaller creations by the Mm team and obviously searching by "thumbs up" would give you higher ranked dreams. I would say it was deliberate to avoid all the above and choose those four examples as the variety of what's available.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I think i need to find a curated list of the best stuff so far.. I've poked around in the built in playlists and haven't really found anything that entertains me for more than a minute or so.

I do think a lot of the stuff I've seen is really impressive at a surface level, and I'm sure it's just a matter of not seeing the best stuff yet.. or that the best is yet to come.

This is especially so in multiplayer games. My cousin used to come over and play lbp2 with me back in the day. We found so many stupid and funny games to play. In our hour or so with Dreams only Bowling with Guns was enjoyable.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I think i need to find a curated list of the best stuff so far.. I've poked around in the built in playlists and haven't really found anything that entertains me for more than a minute or so.

I do think a lot of the stuff I've seen is really impressive at a surface level, and I'm sure it's just a matter of not seeing the best stuff yet.. or that the best is yet to come.

This is especially so in multiplayer games. My cousin used to come over and play lbp2 with me back in the day. We found so many stupid and funny games to play. In our hour or so with Dreams only Bowling with Guns was enjoyable.
Have you tried the forever popular section? MM picks, most played and most thumbed up should help.

Also, play Tiny Pier. It's awesome.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
Metro:

We’re not going to give Dreams a score, because not only is it not a game but it’s a continuously changing platform that is likely to evolve into something even greater over the course of the next few years. As a tool for others to make whatever kind of virtual world they want it’s an astonishing achievement, especially as according to creative director Mark Healey his team is comprised of only 50 people. You can read the entirety of our interview with him at the end of this review but in the meantime, Dreams is a surprisingly easy thing to describe, despite its seemingly endless applications.
Giving everyone the ability to create video games is a wonderful thing and Dreams is far easier to use, and adapt to your own requirements, than you might imagine. Although the one thing that it teaches above all is that no matter how easy the physical act of video game creation becomes, making a game that is enjoyable to play is something else entirely. That shouldn’t put anyone off though, but instead inspire you with the knowledge that, thanks to Dreams, all that is stopping you from becoming a world-renowned video game creator is hard graft and a vivid imagination.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
The lack of online multiplayer has discouraged creators from putting time into multiplayer projects I think. Once online MP becomes available I expect there will be tons more local/online stuff. The project I plan to do after my current one will be MP for sure.

Oct 29, 2017
New batches.

Small Screen 9.7 / 10
I first heard about Dreams when it was officially announced at E3 in 2015. I remember being quite confused as to what Dreams was, however, was extremely interested as it was being developed by Media Molecule, a game development studio based in the UK who brought us amazing games such as Little Big Planet and Tearaway. Media Molecule is known for its creativeness in gaming and they are always trying to involve the player as much as they can and push the boundaries of what games are capable of.
Gamecrate 9.0 / 10
Dreams is really something special. Frankly, I’d like to see other game development tools come with curation suites like this. It would change the way we look at game design. Now if only these dreamers could get paid for their work…
Tecnoblog 9.3 / 10
Dreams is a must play for anyone who wants to put into practice their own games, arts, music, animations (even without experience) or simply experience everything that the imagination of the community is capable of creating. Good dreams!

Oct 29, 2017
COGconnected 92 / 100
Dreams is incredible. It’s what I and so many others have wanted from the time we fell in love with video games. It’s a limitless playground for those that have ever dreamt of the perfect video game – but it’s okay if you haven’t! Because Dreams is also a limitless playground for those that just want to sit back and enjoy the ride. There’s an endless amount of content here, and we’re only in the early infancy of Dreams. Creations are generally basic at the moment, but I can’t wait to see what this looks like in one year, three years, five years, and beyond. Dreams is one of those rare things that I genuinely believe every single PS4 owner should experience. I never want to wake up.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
JeuxActu 9/10
With Dreams, Media Molecule proves again that it's a special studio that can make small revolutions with each of its games. Mixing gaming with games development, Dreams opens a new field in gaming.

Kyuuji

Nov 8, 2017
Brilliant success and it just keeps coming. So well deserved, it's something genuinely remarkable. Can't believe I find myself with a backlog inside Dreams now and just surfing and rating community jam entries is a really satisfying way to wind down.