• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where will Dreams end up?

• 95+

Votes: 201 11.8%
  • 90-95

Votes: 774 45.4%
  • 85-90

Votes: 374 21.9%
  • 80-85

Votes: 192 11.3%
  • 75-80

Votes: 88 5.2%
  • 70-75

Votes: 35 2.1%
  • Under 70

Votes: 41 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
People make great things without getting paid all the time. Non-issue. If you are trying to go full-time, get a patreon.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Sony should just ship PS4's to schools and make some kind of competition that kids can participate in using Dreams whether its just creating art and assets or having them compete in making actual games.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's going to be a long time before anybody makes anything approaching a game product that could be sold to consumers. Media Molecule won't have to cross that bridge for at least a year or two.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Damn, these early reviews are positively glowing! Wonder if can maintain a MC above 90 when it's all said and done.

Even if it doesn't, at least critically, it would seem like MM has a hit on their hands :D

Feb 10, 2018
Why? People draw, paint, make music, movies, books all the time without being in it to make money. Some people just love their craft and get enjoyment out of doing it for fun. For themselves.
Read the prior page, it's already been said why.
Just because some people are like what you described does not mean it's a "non issue", that is completely ignoring the people who would appreciate forms of monetising there works. Patreon donations may work for some but these kind of functions built into the game would help more.

Pantato

Nov 5, 2019
Just because some people are like what you described does not mean it's a "non issue", that is completely ignoring the people who would appreciate forms of monetising there works. Patreon donations may work for some but these kind of functions built into the game would help more.
If they want money, they should just have a go at Roblox (with its own share of problems), obviously Dreams is not targeted at them. And there are other rewards than money, it would be a sad world if everything was driven by it.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How will the average person ever know that more and more content is being made?

The only way I see this game selling well in the long run (that don't be happening at launch) is if creations from it go viral or some big streamers get really into the game.
You bet when someone creates something amazing the media will report about it. I can already see the Kotaku headline.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I expect we'll only ever see cool demos, proofs of concept, experiments, and small fan games

And that is the point of the game. It is to go from one kick as game idea to the next in span of seconds. Just like no one goes into YouTube expecting masterclass full length films.

Expecting multiple full length AAA games in Dreams for a 40 dollar product is not the point of the game.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

The people who would appreciate making money off the game would be dissapointed if they had any reason to expect such a thing.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Sad to see the review thread hijacked by the old "dollar dollar bills, why would you even?" talk... :/
Hey y'all. I wrote the review for Attack of the Fanboy (which you can read here). I absolutely adore Dreams and I can answer any questions about the game if y'all have any.
"Dreams is a platform that allows for complete and nearly limitless creative expression, and it's already jam-packed with games, music, and art that more than justify the asking price."
<3 yes <3

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
ghostcrew More

IGN Italia 9/10

Dreams is not the best software to make a game, but that's not the point. Media Molecule's dream is to build a homeland for creators, to make the Dreamverse a self-sufficient place, where users can share their skills in the easiest way: that is the goal of the project, but the dream cannot exist without the dreamers.
it.ign.com

Dreams - La recensione

Su PlayStation 4 arriva una scatola dei sogni per milioni di artisti.

Attack of the Fanboy
Hey y'all. I wrote the review for Attack of the Fanboy (which you can read here). I absolutely adore Dreams and I can answer any questions about the game if y'all have any.

Carole quintaine 17/20
Dreams is a breath of fresh air in the world of video games. It is a huge playground and a real social network where the possibilities are unlimited. Films, music, games, everything seems at hand! Its solo campaign is funny, inspiring and smart. Nevertheless, despite the clear lessons, game's tools are difficult to master. It takes a long time and patience to achieve beautiful things.

Gamepro Germany 93/100

Dreams is unique in its execution. The possibilities have never been greater and the barriers to entry have never been lower. Especially in the long run, Dreams offers enormous potential.
www.gamepro.de

Dreams im Test für PS4 - Ein Traum für alle, die Videospiele lieben

Das erste große PS4-Exclusive des Jahres setzt auf die Kreativität der Community, um Träume wahr werden zu lassen. Und das klappt richtig gut.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Wow, those reviews. I've missed Media Molecule. I just bought it, looking forward to dream surfing all weekend.

LexiStarrDust

Mar 31, 2019
I am surprised by some of the negativity. Monetizing my creations never came to my mind when thinking about getting dreams. :/ It seems like a fairly low barrier of entry way to play around with the idea of building a game (or sculpting or music creation), did not exactly seem professional grade to me.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I feel like Sony should just ship PS4's to schools and make some kind of competition that kids can participate in using Dreams whether its just creating art and assets or having them compete in making actual games.

Great idea!

I've told all my startup friends...instead of buying FIFA for the office PS4s, why not snag a copy of Dreams which will help boost creativity?

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I have a question: is it possible for multiple people to work on a 'dream'? Like say you and a friend have this great idea, can you both work on the same project at the same time?

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I have a question: is it possible for multiple people to work on a 'dream'? Like say you and a friend have this great idea, can you both work on the same project at the same time?
You can each create portions that then link up in the same Dream. But if you're asking if the same instance of creation is available to multiple people at once I believe the answer is no. Collaborating on projects by sharing creations is a huge part of Dreams though.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I'm going to try use this to make a proof of concept for this game I've been thinking of doing someday. Wish me luck! I know it'll be hard but even if it fails at least I'll learn some things.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to try use this to make a proof of concept for this game I've been thinking of doing someday. Wish me luck! I know it'll be hard but even if it fails at least I'll learn some things.

As with most creative projects, do remember to share what you've made from time to time. Not only will it drive you forward when you know other people see what you make and provide feedback, but it also serves as a great motivator when you can look back on the progress you've made.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Lmao, he went out as a hero though
Ignorance is bliss. ;-)

Two new reviews.

Media Molecule's philosophy of "Play, Create, Share" that began with LittleBigPlanet in 2008 has now been perfectly realized to the fullest extent. There has never before been a set of creation tools so amazingly powerful yet so incredibly accessible, and the community has already proven the game's potential throughout the year-long Early Access period. Dreams is not just some experimental follow up to a side-scrolling series with user-created levels. It's a platform that allows for complete and nearly limitless creative expression, and it's already jam-packed with games, music, and art that more than justify the asking price. It can only get better from here, and this is a phenomenal starting point.
attackofthefanboy.com

Dreams Review - Attack of the Fanboy

It's difficult to pin down exactly what kind of game Dreams is, and that's what makes it so special. Equal parts game and game engine, Media Molecule's

The never-ending stream of content put out from players is ultimately what will make this product stand the test of time and with the ability to make literally anything, the future of Dreams is a very exciting prospect indeed. Whether the mainstream community will take to Dreams as enthusiastically as early adopters and critics remains to be seen but for now this software is certainly one of the best games of the year and unlike anything else on the market. The wait was absolutely worth it.
www.thereviewgeek.com

Dreams - PS4 Game Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ltgkcoQzow Is This Your Dream Game? Back at E3 2015, Media Molecule's latest project Dreams was officially announced.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Ignorance is bliss. ;-)

Two new reviews.

attackofthefanboy.com

It's difficult to pin down exactly what kind of game Dreams is, and that's what makes it so special. Equal parts game and game engine, Media Molecule's

www.thereviewgeek.com

Dreams - PS4 Game Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ltgkcoQzow Is This Your Dream Game? Back at E3 2015, Media Molecule's latest project Dreams was officially announced.
Nice, another 5/5 and 9/10.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
As with most creative projects, do remember to share what you've made from time to time. Not only will it drive you forward when you know other people see what you make and provide feedback, but it also serves as a great motivator when you can look back on the progress you've made.
Great advice. Will definitely share things with others. Maybe just friends at first and then YouTube or here. The only thing is that I feel like it's quite an out-there idea so I don't want to show it too early in case I haven't done the best job of bringing it across. I'm so excited to jump in! It's always just been so daunting using regular tools because I'm not a game designer I just work in film. All I have is an idea XD

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
There is an argument that having monetisation day 1 would disrupt the collaborative, sharing culture the game tries to foster. The design brief of Dreams is not a engine for people to make and sell games in, not in its first year at least. The consumer package is to create and share all manner of art.

who knows what's in this ten year plan though

Yeah, would be not good if every second dream has a prize tag...

But when it comes to very well made and content rich dreams, people should have the possibility to earn money.
Send your project to Mm and they decide if it's worth cash.

Mark Healey already said while an IGN interview, he would love to see that users can sell their dreams on PSN.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Attack of the Fanboy - 100
attackofthefanboy.com

GamePro Germany - 93
www.gamepro.de

Das erste große PS4-Exclusive des Jahres setzt auf die Kreativität der Community, um Träume wahr werden zu lassen. Und das klappt richtig gut.

IGN Italia - 90
it.ign.com

Dreams - La recensione

Carole Quintaine - 85

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
You can each create portions that then link up in the same Dream. But if you're asking if the same instance of creation is available to multiple people at once I believe the answer is no. Collaborating on projects by sharing creations is a huge part of Dreams though.
Okay, cool! So we can all work on certain elements and then utilise them in the same project.
Gonna try some things this afternoon, very exciting!

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
All I need/want to know about this is... are the controls still clunky/janky and floaty as all hell like they were in LBP and Tearaway? I'll eventually get it regardless, but this is what I'm most curious about!

Oddly enough, this is precisely what makes it attractive for me, that it can't be corrupted by "gain". "Almost no one" are precisely the ones whose work I want to check out in Dreams.
Wait...is dreams free now?

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Attack of the Fanboy - 100
attackofthefanboy.com

GamePro Germany - 93
www.gamepro.de

IGN Italia - 90
it.ign.com

Dreams - La recensione

Carole Quintaine - 85
All reviews already posted above by me btw :P

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Just bought the game.

Have absolutely zero intention of creating anything, but I quite fancy messing around in peoples Dreams, be they good or bad.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
C.R.E.A.M indeed. Kind of depressing, really. I'm glad the game doesn't support direct monetization at launch. Frankly, I wish they never will. Something like a Patreon integration would be fine with me, but the thought of running into "microtransaction dreams" a year or two down the line doesn't excite me.

That said, I just don't care about it "reaching its potential" if that potential means "has many proper games". Because I'm really not interested in playing long, "proper" games in Dreams. Sort of like the IGN reviewer, I'm much more interested in the Vine part of it - all kinds of smaller, weirder shit.

Last edited:

PayOffWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester England
There is an argument that having monetisation day 1 would disrupt the collaborative, sharing culture the game tries to foster. The design brief of Dreams is not a engine for people to make and sell games in, not in its first year at least. The consumer package is to create and share all manner of art.

who knows what's in this ten year plan though

Totally agree, Day 1 monetization and Dreams would be DOA. And i know of at least one (guy making the Avatar game in dreams) has a patreon and is getting over $100 a month to work on it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
MM has talked about the possibility of a commercial license for Dreams. I do think we'll see something in this regard that allows publishing on PSN perhaps? Why not enjoy the toolset for now though? I'm just glad Dreams exists. It allows me to do what I always wanted but never learned and being too busy for my own career later.

And I should have picked Dreams review scores for my League! Damn, such good scores.

Last edited:

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes you could well be correct, but I hope a youtube of games does happen one day, it could revolutionise the gaming industry and whoever makes the platform would make bank too by taking a small % of each creator content sale.

The vast majority of content is free on YouTube, with YouTube making money from advertising revenue.

the "YouTube of gaming" is basically a website of streamable free mobile games that are littered with ads.

Last edited: