• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where will Dreams end up?

• 95+

Votes: 201 11.8%
  • 90-95

Votes: 774 45.4%
  • 85-90

Votes: 374 21.9%
  • 80-85

Votes: 192 11.3%
  • 75-80

Votes: 88 5.2%
  • 70-75

Votes: 35 2.1%
  • Under 70

Votes: 41 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's what Mark Healey would like to see.

At minute 13.

Instead of allowing creations to be sold on PSN, I'd prefer if they just added a tipping system within the game, so that content creators could get paid without having to sell their creations or without people being forced to pay to play the content.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Instead of allowing creations to be sold on PSN, I'd prefer if they just added a tipping system within the game, so that content creators could get paid without having to sell their creations or without people being forced to pay to play the content.
i have a better suggestion.
just let those who own dreams play the game through dreams, content which passes the criteria to be sold will be offered for a cheap price point on PSN for those that dont own dreams to buy.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

If Dreams does get to the point where monetisation for creators is becoming a thing I think there's a lot of different ways they could go about it. A tipping system would work well I think, but the idea of the most ambitious game appearing stand-alone on PSN is super appealing as well. There could be a system where things are available for a price outside of Dreams and available for free within Dreams, with creators renumerated in a similar way to a PS+ or Game Pass.

Personally though the likes are enough :D

Looks like review bombing has begun on meta.

I mean review bombing is real fucking dumb in general but I genuinely can't imagine what kind of utter gremlin would review bomb something as positive as Dreams.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
Out of curiosity, how would you score a game like this low? I wouldn't know how to review it. It's a set of tools that achieves what it sets out to do, so 10\10 I guess?

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

Yeah, that sounds good.

And the best of the best also for PSN, so creators can make more money from people who don't own Dreams.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Out of curiosity, how would you score a game like this low? I wouldn't know how to review it. It's a set of tools that achieves what it sets out to do, so 10\10 I guess?

One of the 85 reviews isn't very happy with the motion controls for creating but I believe he doesn't mention that the game got a stick control update...

ara

Oct 26, 2017

Bad technical performance, unintuitive tools and weak tutorials, clumsy controls.. There are always good reasons to drop the score a bit. But yeah, considering how rigid and sort of formulaic game reviews tend to be, Dreams is definitely going to be hard to review for a lot of people.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Considering monetization, I could chat with Kareem and Christophe Villedieu those last days and, while i can't discuss the details, let's say there is a TON of legal issues here when you think about it, mostly with content being used from other creators etc.. But not only.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
metro.co.uk

Dreams on PS5 is ‘obvious next step’ says Media Molecule

The ‘obvious next step’ for PS4 exclusive Dreams is a version on the PS5, according to LittleBigPlanet creator Media Molecule.

Healey said that a PC version of Dreams is not currently in development, but he implied that a PlayStation 5 was much more likely.

The key point is we're treating this as a platform, it's not a game. We're gonna keep supporting and adding to it. And a lot of what we add to it is driven by what the community wants really, because they're the life blood', said Healey.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Honestly it should appear on both. I think Dreams is perfect for the PC market, and could do with a wider base of content creators, not to mention coverage and streamers.

Yeah, but currently Mm should focus on other things like VR, online MP and the PS5 upgrade.
They are not very big and a PC port is a lot of work...

Mikoby

Oct 28, 2017

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Considering monetization, I could chat with Kareem and Christophe Villedieu those last days and, while i can't discuss the details, let's say there is a TON of legal issues here when you think about it, mostly with content being used from other creators etc.. But not only.
Yeah, the biggest issue for monetisation is that it isn't really compatible with collaboration. When the genealogy of most creations runs into dozens of users, how do you decide who gets what cut?

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Monetization shouldn´t be handled by Sony or MM.
This goes agaisnt the whole Dreams concept.
If any creator get to the point where it´s creations got attention enough to get support it should come from outside platforms like Patreon and/or Kickstarter.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
So this project has always intrigued me, but I'm definitely not a content creator , however seeing what others have come up with is impressive. I especially love the kaiju game , that should be made into a full standalone game .

I've been using unity for years in the hopes if making a game solo but the tools provided here sounds like a great place to create early concepts of games .

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Monetization shouldn´t be handled by Sony or MM.
This goes agaisnt the whole Dreams concept.
If any creator get to the point where it´s creations got attention enough to get support it should come from outside platforms like Patreon and/or Kickstarter.

Except that's not legal actually :p Or rather that's a grey area

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
I was only going to buy Nioh 2 for full price this year, but... I couldn't resist. Only 40 dollars.

Looking forward to all the crazy levels Japanese users are gonna make.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
How so ?
Honestly question cause I have no idea.

Well same problem, you're still making money witi something when you potentially don't have the right to everyting you have in your creation, and that also mean instruments etc... difficult to make something in dreams without anything from somoene else, or even to check that

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I did notice a few days ago that the user score for Yakuza 5 Remastered was at 1.5. I know it's one of the lesser installments in the franchise, but it's not THAT bad!

User scores should just be removed from Metacritic entirely. They're useless and serve as nothing but a battlefield for fanboy nonsense.
Y5 is actually one of the fan favorites — definitely top three along with 0 and 2.

So that makes its MC user score even more confusing.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Y5 is actually one of the fan favorites — definitely top three along with 0 and 2.

Only reason I could think of for 5 getting review bombed is maybe playable Haruka, because clearly playable women in Yakuza is bad... (if that is indeed the reason, people are gonna lose it when they find out the best character in 7 is a woman). Either than or people are still mad that 3 and 4 made some localisation changes against transphobic translations/content (which the team themselves changed in Japan because they reecognised as certain bits as being insensitive to people).

Yakuza 5 (and Dreams) rock. Neither deserve to be review bombed :(

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
So this project has always intrigued me, but I'm definitely not a content creator , however seeing what others have come up with is impressive. I especially love the kaiju game , that should be made into a full standalone game .

I've been using unity for years in the hopes if making a game solo but the tools provided here sounds like a great place to create early concepts of games .

Yes, I have the same plan, gonna try to develop a demo for the game I'm trying to make on Dreams.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Did not see Dreams getting this kind of critical reception, really happy for the dev team over at MM.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Well same problem, you're still making money witi something when you potentially don't have the right to everyting you have in your creation, and that also mean instruments etc... difficult to make something in dreams without anything from somoene else, or even to check that
I don't see monetization being viable with the current game. One of the bases of Dreams is sharing content.

I can see they launching a 'developer version' of the tools in the future.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca

Y5 is one of the fan favourites? That's definitely not how I've seen it over the years. People talk about how overlong and bloated it is all the time.

Only reason I could think of for 5 getting review bombed is maybe playable Haruka, because clearly playable women in Yakuza is bad... (if that is indeed the reason, people are gonna lose it when they find out the best character in 7 is a woman). Either than or people are still mad that 3 and 4 made some localisation changes against transphobic translations/content (which the team themselves changed in Japan because they reecognised as certain bits as being insensitive to people).

Yakuza 5 (and Dreams) rock. Neither deserve to be review bombed :(

It's getting review bombed because it's (currently) an exclusive, and pretty much all exclusives on Metacritic get user scores in the zeroes from fanboys.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Y5 is one of the fan favourites? That's definitely not how I've seen it over the years. People talk about how overlong and bloated it is all the time.

It's getting review bombed because it's (currently) an exclusive, and pretty much all exclusives on Metacritic get user scores in the zeroes from fanboys.
5 actually is popular within the community. Some have issues with its size while others love it for its scope. They are both valid points of view. Either way, I doubt we'll ever get another Yakuza this size or content packed.

As for review bombing it for being an exclusive, well that just makes me think users are actually more moronic than I previously thought. Which is some feat....

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'm not sure how assets shared in Dreams would be legally different from free assets in the Unity store. As long as the proper license agreement is agreed to when a created publishes the tree they just sculpted or whatever, it seems like it wouldn't be an issue.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

But how would Sony or MM interfere in a process made completely outside of their ecosystem ?