• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where will Dreams end up?

• 95+

Votes: 201 11.8%
  • 90-95

Votes: 774 45.4%
  • 85-90

Votes: 374 21.9%
  • 80-85

Votes: 192 11.3%
  • 75-80

Votes: 88 5.2%
  • 70-75

Votes: 35 2.1%
  • Under 70

Votes: 41 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Ok, I bought it.

I played maybe 30 seconds of Arts Dream before having to do something else. I'll get back to it tonight.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great video, found it hilarious, especially the jeep level and skiddy controls. I actually really enjoyed that game and how slippery it was. Like you said, it feels like you're constantly on ice or drifting lol. Had a laugh trying it with family.
Ya I dug it as well. it was stupid and should not have been as fun as it was. But it was just sort of nice minigame enjoyment

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
It's bad that I want to know more about this? lol
www.resetera.com

AI: The Somnium Files was review bombed on Metacritic (From 8.2 to 1.9 in 1 day)

I have my problems with this game, but it's definitely worth checking out, especially if you like the Zero Escape or Ace Attorney games. It's a fairly light-hearted overall, but it can still pack an emotional punch when it wants to. It also revolves around a pretty mature and grounded theme that...

Have fun (post 128 if the link doesn't work)

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
www.resetera.com

AI: The Somnium Files was review bombed on Metacritic (From 8.2 to 1.9 in 1 day)

I have my problems with this game, but it's definitely worth checking out, especially if you like the Zero Escape or Ace Attorney games. It's a fairly light-hearted overall, but it can still pack an emotional punch when it wants to. It also revolves around a pretty mature and grounded theme that...

giphy.gif

What the fuck

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Commenting now alongside the first negative review of the thread seems to be inviting the behaviour that you're trying to avoid, but okay. Don't get me wrong, of course everyone is entitled to their opinions, but this one is curious.
Sounds like 'confirmation bias' to me.

Of all the 10s, 9s, and above 8s, hey I only agree with this one 6 / 10 score.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
www.resetera.com

Holy shit. Wow.
Anyway Dreams is awesome.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Is that game's Critic reviews considered under rated by most people? I thought about buying it when it released

edit: nm I thought the metacritic score was 70 for some reason, maybe it was back when it only had 5 reviews

Last edited:

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have played Dreams since early access and while I think the creator tools are awesome, I have not found a reason to stick around past the novelty factor (I don't have any interest in creating). It's okay that I have a differing opinion and posted a review that voiced my opinion. I don't post much in Dreams threads because I know I'll get mobbed for having a differing opinion.

From the review: this is literally the only part of the review that describes creations in Dreams that aren't recognised-ip.

I try some more "made in Dreams" games, ones that aren't directly inspired by an already existing property. There's a stripped back prototype of a shooter made using one of Media Molecule's templates, a lovely art piece showing a pair of bunnies in the snow, a sort of interactive WinAmp visualizer with its own music… They're all interesting for a few minutes. It's while playing a pretty 3D platformer that my problem hits me. I open a chest that cheerfully proclaims "1/37 gold found!" I immediately realize I have no interest in finding the rest.

You think that's a fair assessment of what's available in Dreams?

As soon as you go to the "Dream Surfing" page, there's a banner for the Impy Awards (arguably the "best" of what's been made in Early Access), there's a section of "pick up and play" dreams, a section of smaller creations by the Mm team and obviously searching by "thumbs up" would give you higher ranked dreams. I would say it was deliberate to avoid all the above and choose those four examples as the variety of what's available.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I think i need to find a curated list of the best stuff so far.. I've poked around in the built in playlists and haven't really found anything that entertains me for more than a minute or so.

I do think a lot of the stuff I've seen is really impressive at a surface level, and I'm sure it's just a matter of not seeing the best stuff yet.. or that the best is yet to come.

This is especially so in multiplayer games. My cousin used to come over and play lbp2 with me back in the day. We found so many stupid and funny games to play. In our hour or so with Dreams only Bowling with Guns was enjoyable.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I think i need to find a curated list of the best stuff so far.. I've poked around in the built in playlists and haven't really found anything that entertains me for more than a minute or so.

I do think a lot of the stuff I've seen is really impressive at a surface level, and I'm sure it's just a matter of not seeing the best stuff yet.. or that the best is yet to come.

This is especially so in multiplayer games. My cousin used to come over and play lbp2 with me back in the day. We found so many stupid and funny games to play. In our hour or so with Dreams only Bowling with Guns was enjoyable.

Have you tried the forever popular section? MM picks, most played and most thumbed up should help.

Also, play Tiny Pier. It's awesome.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
Metro:

We're not going to give Dreams a score, because not only is it not a game but it's a continuously changing platform that is likely to evolve into something even greater over the course of the next few years. As a tool for others to make whatever kind of virtual world they want it's an astonishing achievement, especially as according to creative director Mark Healey his team is comprised of only 50 people. You can read the entirety of our interview with him at the end of this review but in the meantime, Dreams is a surprisingly easy thing to describe, despite its seemingly endless applications.

Giving everyone the ability to create video games is a wonderful thing and Dreams is far easier to use, and adapt to your own requirements, than you might imagine. Although the one thing that it teaches above all is that no matter how easy the physical act of video game creation becomes, making a game that is enjoyable to play is something else entirely. That shouldn't put anyone off though, but instead inspire you with the knowledge that, thanks to Dreams, all that is stopping you from becoming a world-renowned video game creator is hard graft and a vivid imagination.

metro.co.uk

Dreams review and interview – video game construction kit

GameCentral reviews the new game creation tool from the makers of LittleBigPlanet and talks to creative director Mark Healey about its future.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

The lack of online multiplayer has discouraged creators from putting time into multiplayer projects I think. Once online MP becomes available I expect there will be tons more local/online stuff. The project I plan to do after my current one will be MP for sure.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
New batches.

Small Screen 9.7 / 10
I first heard about Dreams when it was officially announced at E3 in 2015. I remember being quite confused as to what Dreams was, however, was extremely interested as it was being developed by Media Molecule, a game development studio based in the UK who brought us amazing games such as Little Big Planet and Tearaway. Media Molecule is known for its creativeness in gaming and they are always trying to involve the player as much as they can and push the boundaries of what games are capable of.

Gamecrate 9.0 / 10
Dreams is really something special. Frankly, I'd like to see other game development tools come with curation suites like this. It would change the way we look at game design. Now if only these dreamers could get paid for their work…

Tecnoblog 9.3 / 10
Dreams is a must play for anyone who wants to put into practice their own games, arts, music, animations (even without experience) or simply experience everything that the imagination of the community is capable of creating. Good dreams!

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
COGconnected 92 / 100
Dreams is incredible. It's what I and so many others have wanted from the time we fell in love with video games. It's a limitless playground for those that have ever dreamt of the perfect video game – but it's okay if you haven't! Because Dreams is also a limitless playground for those that just want to sit back and enjoy the ride. There's an endless amount of content here, and we're only in the early infancy of Dreams. Creations are generally basic at the moment, but I can't wait to see what this looks like in one year, three years, five years, and beyond. Dreams is one of those rare things that I genuinely believe every single PS4 owner should experience. I never want to wake up.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Updated OP again with some of the new prominent reviews. The great reviews train keeps on moving!

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
JeuxActu 9/10
With Dreams, Media Molecule proves again that it's a special studio that can make small revolutions with each of its games. Mixing gaming with games development, Dreams opens a new field in gaming.
www.jeuxactu.com

Test Dreams : entre rêve, fabrique et exploration, un voyage hors du commun sur PS4

Test Dreams Après plus de sept ans de développement, Dreams sort enfin sur PS4 et Dieu sait qu'il fut désiré. Le nouveau titre de Media Molecule, à qui l'on doit LittleBigPlanet et Tearaway, est-il le rêve tant espéré ?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Brilliant success and it just keeps coming. So well deserved, it's something genuinely remarkable. Can't believe I find myself with a backlog inside Dreams now and just surfing and rating community jam entries is a really satisfying way to wind down.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
This game is reviewed good. Why Sony promotes this game so little?

It's made by the main studio of SONY and it is only $40. Dreams should be advertised much more.

Look at how Nintendo deal with Super Mario Maker?

Last edited:

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
PlayStation Lifestyle Review

Dreams is first and foremost a set of tools to inspire and facilitate creativity, and it accomplishes that feat in a magical way that still doesn't quite feel real. $40 for a full suite of game development tools, from audio to art and animation to the underlying engine to run it all, is absolutely incredible. Dreams invites players in and says, "it's okay to create. Here, let it out." Imagine you open a door. Beyond that door is the stars. Infinite space. Swirling galaxies and cloudy nebulas. You take one step and fall into the boundless void. But it's not nothing. It is everything. Dreams is possibilities made manifest, and while Media Molecule needs to have a strong hand in curating that experience, its a perfect foundation from which to grow and evolve and I can't wait to see where it goes.

9/10

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is review good. Why Sony promotes this game so little?

It's made by the main studio of SONY and it is only $40. Dreams should be advertised much more.
I think the tepid response to the Early Access release has led them to believe that Dreams is a title that the general public will not be interested in.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
XGN 9 / 10
Dreams is a game that has a lot of potential in the future for both the makers and the players. The large amount of lessons are easy for the makers to follow and there will only be more fun in the future for the people who like to play. In addition, the single player campaign from Dreams is a must if you have purchased the game due to the special playing style. The only thing that could make this game even better is multiplayer and more cool creations from the Dreams community!

The Guardian 4 / 5
Dreams nonetheless still offers a set of powerful, enjoyable tools at a low price and hours of fantastic tutorials. Adults may find the presentation a little too charmed by its own whimsy, especially in light of the tension between an art for art's sake message and a commercial walled garden. Yet it's likely to encourage many younger players to bring their own dreams to life.

Explosion Network 10 / 10
Dreams is undoubtedly one of the PlayStation 4's greatest games. While surfing the dreamspace I've played adventure games that genuinely made me laugh, games created to honour a loved one, a lost loved one; a child's ideal game created by a parent; I've listened to full albums of music created solely in Dreams. After each game, I scan the comments section and see the communication of ideas, suggestions for fixing and improving things, or just simple messages of praise for a great game. The way this community is already buddying together to inspire and pull one-another up together as they learn, create and play together is a beautiful thing to see. The toolset offered in Dreams is unreal, and the range of games, movies, music and more you'll experience — there are no words. Dreams is like nothing we have ever seen before and it's going to inspire the next generation of creators.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
PSX Brasil 10/10

There are no words that can accurately define my feelings towards Dreams. It's a title that has transcended everything we know as a game, becoming something completely new. Media Molecule exceeded all possible expectations by creating this wonderful tool, that if used correctly, will serve as one of the main pivots for content creators, game-design students, musicians, animators and many others throughout this decade. Dreams may be one of the last "games" to be released for PlayStation 4, but it will forever be immortalized as one of the greatest titles ever made in history.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
I really don't know what's Sony's strategy when Dreams is so innovative. Super Mario Maker 2 has shipped more than 5 million copies.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Outside of something that is literally a complete re-framing of Dreams as something else, like how Fortnite reimagined itself as a Battle Royale game - there is no short-term strategy that would be financially viable for Dreams.

The game has HORRENDOUS metrics with mainstream gamers. The vast actively don't give a shit about Dreams and no amount of marketing can make a product that people find apathy or complete disinterest of its very functional premise appealing without a major change-up.

Innovation matters jack shit when people don't care about it. It's why a game with rich gameplay systems like Dishonored and Prey sell like shit whereas stuff like Bioshock Infinite can sell 11 million copies.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I really don't know what's Sony's strategy when Dreams is so innovative. Super Mario Maker 2 has shipped more than 5 million copies.

It's Mario, and if I'm not mistaken it's slightly underperformed in comparison to Maker 1.

But yes, for some reason Sony didn't do much on Dreams, I wonder if the game taking several years has something to do with that.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Mario Maker is laser focused on executing a single genre, it's easy to learn/use due to the more basic nature of 2D platformers, and it's a game featuring perhaps the most renown gaming IP in the world.

Dream
s is very nebulous, complex, and unfortunately doesn't have a strong identity like LittleBigPlanet as a result of the aforementioned and the lack of a compelling mascot character with seemingly infinite customization options. It's a super difficult game to market.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game is reviewed good. Why Sony promotes this game so little?

Look at how Nintendo deal with Super Mario Maker?
because it's the type of game really hard to advertise

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Gah! I was initially going to wait this near PS5's launch, but I don't know if I can hold out.
Outstanding reviews thus far!

www.resetera.com

T...this is... wow!

Oct 27, 2017
Can you "borrow" other people's characters and NPCs, including their behavior, and drop them in your own Dreams level?

Feels like the gallery of hundreds if not thousands ok-looking character, complete with their own movement mechanics, abilities and objectives (in case of AI) would make remixing levels a completely different experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of something that is literally a complete re-framing of Dreams as something else, like how Fortnite reimagined itself as a Battle Royale game - there is no short-term strategy that would be financially viable for Dreams.

The game has HORRENDOUS metrics with mainstream gamers. The vast actively don't give a shit about Dreams and no amount of marketing can make a product that people find apathy or complete disinterest of its very functional premise appealing without a major change-up.

Innovation matters jack shit when people don't care about it. It's why a game with rich gameplay systems like Dishonored and Prey sell like shit whereas stuff like Bioshock Infinite can sell 11 million copies.
Fax

It isn't just a matter of throwing money at it.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
Can you "borrow" other people's characters and NPCs, including their behavior, and drop them in your own Dreams level?

Feels like the gallery of hundreds if not thousands ok-looking character, complete with their own movement mechanics, abilities and objectives (in case of AI) would make remixing levels a completely different experience.
Absolutely, grabbing other users' creations to build your own is one of the core features of Dreams. Users do have a choice to allow or disallow their creations from being available to Remix, but it seems to be the minority of users that disable this.

Though there does seem to be a trend that the more highly polished and feature-rich a creation is, the less willing the creator is to let their work be remixable, sadly.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
TheSixthAxis 9/10
Taking Media Molecule's creative ethos to new heights, Dreams is a PlayStation essential. Booting the game up each time and having no idea what awaits is an intoxicating feeling. A remedy, forcing me from the rut of my predictable gaming habits to explore an inner creativity I'm often too lazy or wound up to let free.
www.thesixthaxis.com

Dreams Review | TheSixthAxis

Sony's sleeping giant.