• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
So Dreams looks crazy ambitious as we all know from the latest previews. Came across this neat interview where the game was apparently rebooted twice and has been in development for over 6 years but Sony has given MM the support they needed to get this to the finish line

Big props to Sony and MM for giving a AAA game of such scale and unbridled creativity this much time . Dont get games like this that often in the AAA space so kudos!

Hope it pays off big time.

--

This should be added to the OP for context. Evans explains what was tossed out and the reasons why. The core game has not changed since inception. It's the underlying graphics engine that was rebooted twice.

MM's discontent with the render has been talked about a number of times previously.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
6 years and 2 reboots? Damn, that shows a lot of confidence and trust from Sony on MM and their vision. Hopefully the game it's a success

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
sounds like a lot of money, hopefully the game can turn a profit without having to resort to scummy monetization techniques

I think the best way to do it would be offer tons of costumes, fancy textures, etc that people can buy to implement into their created levels/games, but DON'T require people to own the stuff in order to play the user-created levels.

It's hard to imagine what extra stuff could be added though, since from what we've seen the game already has a ridiculous amount of stuff in the game.

Maybe theme packs based off Sony exclusives? Bloodborne, Uncharted, Horizon, God of War, Detroit, Ratchet & Clank, etc costume and item DLC packs.

Oct 27, 2017
sounds like a lot of money, hopefully the game can turn a profit without having to resort to scummy monetization techniques
Judging by the last guardian and other Sony games that have been given sequels or new games from the same studio after release, doesn't seem like Sony always cares about those sales and profit

I think they've even said they're fine with some games being more critical successes than commercial, a la good TV shows that don't get ratings.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Judging by the last guardian and other Sony games that have been given sequels or new games from the same studio after release, doesn't seem like Sony always cares about those sales and profit

I think they've even said they're fine with some games being more critical successes than commercial, a la good TV shows that don't get ratings.
They do care about losses though like any company would e.g Evolution Studios had to be dropped

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They kept supporting The Last Guardian for over a decade? This isn't really out of the ordinary for Sony. They have shown a willingness to give creators time to realize their vision.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Thank you for believing in this title, Sony. It's looking amazing. I'm glad they allowed The Last Guardian to exist despite its long development time/console shift, too.

They do care about losses though like any company would like for Evolution Studios behind Motorstorm and Driveclub games
Or Studio Liverpool and Guerilla Cambridge, for that matter. It always seemed a little strange that Media Molecule is the last one standing for their UK studios, but they've always been a much smaller team than the norm, so I can't imagine that the overhead is nearly as expensive as they were for others.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
He's a good creative director. Very transparent, realistic, and is positive without slipping into hype.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'd imagine the first half of those 6 years, MM was still making bank from LBP micro transactions to stay green despite working on a new game. Good that Sony kept it afloat. This better sell -_-

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I think the best way to do it would be offer tons of costumes, fancy textures, etc that people can buy to implement into their created levels/games, but DON'T require people to own the stuff in order to play the user-created levels.

It's hard to imagine what extra stuff could be added though, since from what we've seen the game already has a ridiculous amount of stuff in the game.

Maybe theme packs based off Sony exclusives? Bloodborne, Uncharted, Horizon, God of War, Detroit, Ratchet & Clank, etc costume and item DLC packs.
I would pay good money if they sell character dlc that come complete with gameplay animation and physics. Imagine just buying Jak character where you can just drop him into your level and it'll have all the Jak moves like spinning, punching and double jump action.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
so I can't imagine that the overhead is nearly as expensive as they were for others.

70 odd people in Surrey isn't cheap.
The difference is that they made Sony a lot of money in the past and Sony keep track of that. If this was their first game they wouldn't be around anymore.
The first little big planet was a huge cornerstone of the PS3. It was a game you couldn't get anywhere else, it represented something totally new. Sony love that shit and here's their chance to get it again.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man, Sony is really the only developer/publisher who I've seen really go out of their way to support sinking ships and help bring out their fullest potential. Not to throw shade, but I'm not so sure MS would have done the same based on Scalebound.

Good on MM for being able to produce the product they've envisioned.

Nov 8, 2017
So to follow up on the recent thread asking whether or not MM was in trouble if Dreams flops, this game being rebooted twice and effectively the only large scale project they've had since 2013 does not bode especially well for them. Tearaway Unfolded was a flop, and the original wasn't a hit either. They're a 50 person studio located in the United Kingdom, which is not the cheapest place to work nor somewhere that it's legally challenging to shutter studios. I would hope for strong sales.

Difference between Sony and other publishers on display.

They'll generally ship a game once announced, but they don't hesitate to shut down unprofitable studios, particularly in Europe or North America.

From the UK:

Guerilla Cambridge - 2017
https://www.polygon.com/2017/1/12/14251842/guerrilla-cambridge-closed

Evolution Studios - 2016 following 2015 layoffs
http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/03/22/driveclub-studio-closed-down-by-sony

Psygnosis / Sony Liverpool - 2012 Layoffs and remaining staff merged into other studios
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-22-sony-closes-wipeout-developer-sony-liverpool-report

United States:

Zipper Interactive - 2012
www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/30/sony-closes-zipper-interactive.aspx

MMO Studios (3 of them) - 2011
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/04/sonys-mmo-studio-confirms-layoffs-closes-book-on-the-agency/

The UK is their favorite spot for axing studios lately. Like I'm saying above - I'd definitely hope that Dreams does well.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Sony is really the only developer/publisher who I've seen really go out of their way to support sinking ships and help bring out their fullest potential. Not to throw shade, but I'm not so sure MS would have done the same based on Scalebound.

You can throw all the shade you want. MS hasn't had faith in its publishers for years.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
They kept supporting The Last Guardian for over a decade? This isn't really out of the ordinary for Sony. They have shown a willingness to give creators time to realize their vision.

Thank you for believing in this title, Sony. It's looking amazing. I'm glad they allowed The Last Guardian to exist despite its long development time/console shift, too.

Games like this and The Last Guardian are a big part of why I respect Sony as a publisher. Anyone else would have axed the game and probably the studio.

personally, I think the reason Sony is willing to support games like Dreams and the last guardian that almost certainly will not make a profit, is due to psplus subscriptions. Maybe something for people to remember in the next inevitable 'I can't believe Sony charges for online!' Thread....

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
personally, I think the reason Sony is willing to support games like Dreams and the last guardian that almost certainly will not make a profit, is due to psplus subscriptions. Maybe something for people to remember in the next inevitable 'I can't believe Sony charges for online!' Thread....
At first I mis-read your post as "Sony only supported the development of The Last Guardian for so long because they wanted to increase PS Plus subs".

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So to follow up on the recent thread asking whether or not MM was in trouble if Dreams flops, this game being rebooted twice and effectively the only large scale project they've had since 2013 does not bode especially well for them. Tearaway Unfolded was a flop, and the original wasn't a hit either. They're a 50 person studio located in the United Kingdom, which is not the cheapest place to work nor somewhere that it's legally challenging to shutter studios. I would hope for strong sales.

They'll generally ship a game once announced, but they don't hesitate to shut down unprofitable studios, particularly in Europe or North America.

From the UK:

Psygnosis / Sony Liverpool - 2012 Layoffs and remaining staff merged into other studios
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-22-sony-closes-wipeout-developer-sony-liverpool-report

United States:

www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/30/sony-closes-zipper-interactive.aspx

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/04/sonys-mmo-studio-confirms-layoffs-closes-book-on-the-agency/

The UK is their favorite spot for axing studios lately. Like I'm saying above - I'd definitely hope that Dreams does well.
Majority of those studios were closed after MULTIPLE failed games in terms of critical reception and/or sales.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If it can get us gems like TLG and Dreams, then I say double PS+ prices! (joking obviously please never do that Sony lol)

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Potentially an unpopular opinion, but I can't help but feel that MM would be a much more interesting studio if they created smaller, experimental passion projects on a regular basis instead of Sony giving them a huge amount of rope for one idea over an entire console generation.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The sequel should be called Nightmare. This game/creative tool looks amazing. I don't buy online PS4 games, but this is going to be hard to pass up on. Darn PS+ fee, I survived without it for years, had to happen eventually I guess... ahhhH!!!!

Just like youtube or easy access to cameras (phone) create directors and movie makers, I bet this will create game developers, from kids to adults. Oh man.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

From the UK:

United States:

I think MM being a prestige studio with critically acclaimed titles on their belt on a genre without much competition helps a lot too. Studios above are on genre that aren't selling that much, too congested, and most of them produced rcent badly reviewed games. I won't be worried with MM but with Bend instead. Sony MO these day is to develop small devs (PixelOpus, Machester Studios) which has a potential to make it big if they produce good games.

Potentially an unpopular opinion, but I can't help but feel that MM would be a much more interesting studio if they created smaller, experimental passion projects on a regular basis instead of Sony giving them a huge amount of rope for one idea over an entire console generation.
They tried that with Tearaway, and the result was a game that found a way to flop on two different platforms. I feel like that put an early end to that notion.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I love that line about 1 minute in: (paraphrasing) "Dreams is kind of an ironic title, because to be honest, it was an absolute nightmare to make."

Kayo Police

Nov 4, 2017
*insert stupid meme of what do you even do in this game*

If Sony has this much faith, then I'm sure Dreams will be a quality title.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing stuff from Dreams has me feeling like I did when I was seeing stuff from Little Big Planet before that game came out. That game could be truly special.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are forgetting that Media Molecule has remained a profitable studio throughout the entire development of Dreams. If they aren't losing money, there is no reason to close them.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dreams flipping would be 3 in a row for commercial flops, hence they are not likely to survive that scenario.
I highly doubt it will flop in terms of critical reception, just based on Media Molecules past games as well as the glowing praise it's getting in its previews.

In terms of sales, guess we will have to wait but I can def see this being something Sony bundles to not only sell the game but to boost hardware sales as well. Time will tell.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
They tried that with Tearaway, and the result was a game that found a way to flop on two different platforms. I feel like that put an early end to that notion.
I would go even smaller than that. There were 3-4 ideas in Tearaway alone that could have been explored in a more contained form, and may have even excelled with production limits and not having to make them fit inside a platformer.