• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Soundtrack is pretty baller the whole show has a very POC influence which is great.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
So...
Ok KO beat them to having someone become a catgirl...

jokes aside...

I'm assuming you are talking about the confession and having it get turned down because a main male character is gay. Steven Universe sorta had this with a female character recently, Ok KO and loud house have a similar situation but not nearly as as blatant. The closest with a male character was likely Voltron, but also wasn't as blatant.
Yeah, just gotta respect that they just said it. Needs to happen more often.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
just finished this. damn, love everything about the universe, setting and characters - except kipo herself. she was quite frankly grating, and i really hate this thing that entertainment does where they have a person new to a situation school others who live it on how shit gets done. she felt borderline marysue ish.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I've heard really good things about this series. Hoping to check it out soon.

Netflix has been killing the animation game recently. Gives me hope their Transformers series might actually turn out decent.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
just finished this. damn, love everything about the universe, setting and characters - except kipo herself. she was quite frankly grating, and i really hate this thing that entertainment does where they have a person new to a situation school others who live it on how shit gets done. she felt borderline marysue ish.
She just has Naruto's friendship power.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
On a whim, marathoned all 10 episodes again today. Show's still good even after a second watch.

f61e238d04b0a5b9ccd8b74818adc33b9a565718.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I've had that Yumyan Hammerpaw song stuck in my head for like 3 days lol

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
All this Kipo hate is disgusting.
She is great heck the entire cast are great

Benson i the best though.

Finished the season yesterday and now i want mooooooooooooore.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished this show

I actually wasn't feeling the first episode but the second episode had me hooked. I didn't like (and still don't like) the Teen Titans-looking art style and Kipo, but the show looking great in motion (especially during the great action sequences) and the show introducing a bunch of characters (so you get less of solo Kipo) made these less of an issue. Of course, everything else being amazing (e.g. the music, the world, the sense of adventure etc.) helped too lol

Time to rewatch all the episodes while quietly hoping for more

I've had that Yumyan Hammerpaw song stuck in my head for like 3 days lol

Same here. Honestly, the music in this show is so good. I actually looked up the soundtrack, and I *never* do that with cartoons.

(Also I wanna mention that while it's great they released the music, it is CRIMINAL how short these "full" tracks are. I need a full version of that Timber Cat's song, Dreamworks pls make it happen)

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
Kipo herself annoyed me til I remembered it was an all-ages show. She's absolutely not as annoying as the leads in the other shows my kids watch lol

It's rad though. I like it a lot.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Watched the first 3 episodes and I'm digging it. The animation is fantastic at some parts, especially the chase scenes.

It leans on humor a bit too much for my taste, but it's great to see another imaginative, adventure-driven cartoon. They're few and far between these days.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
I'm loving everything about this show.

So much life in it, kinda reminds me of Trigger shows.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Me and my 7yr old daughter marathoned the whole thing.... twice.

Soundtrack was good, the vibe was great, the characters grow on you quick, and it left me wanting more.

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017
Ahw :( i would have expected a different artstyle from dreamworks :( i personally dislike this.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Anyone know where to read the Kipo webcomic or buy it?

Also, y'all remember that one time GZA and John Hodgman were wolves rapping about science?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know where to read the Kipo webcomic or buy it?
It was never completed, Rad Sechrist scrapped it when he was scouted to adapt it as an animated series. There's about a dozen pages out there in the wild, with vastly different character designs and similar yet different plot beats developing.

I also have this from a discord convo, spoilery so hiding behind tags:
1579710014131.jpg

probably goes a long way in explaining why no one ever questions Kipo's appearance at first

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Woah
I just assumed her skin tone to be like that just because it was an artistic thing XP

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Peeps already dropping the Mary Sue word like they didn't watch the full season.
I feel like it's the Steven Universe problem.
As in, when you plop an emotionally mature young person in a setting where conflict arises because all the other characters lack some amount of emotional understanding it gives people the impression that they're a Mary Sue for being able to communicate effectively.

To me it makes sense why all the characters act the way they do. Makes sense that she can sing and talk-no-jutsu her way through it. And focusing only on that stuff makes you miss her character development, her growth and what she learns from others.

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished watching this last night, and I'm definitely going to recommend it to my friends when I see them tonight. Also, anyone else besides me keep slipping and calling it "Kipo and the Age of the Ultrabeasts?"

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I also have this from a discord convo, spoilery so hiding behind tags:
1579710014131.jpg

probably goes a long way in explaining why no one ever questions Kipo's appearance at first
Whoa damn. That's an inspired development for an executive request.

I didn't even realize she was purple, I just thought everything in the world was super colorful and it was part of the style.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it's been mentioned by anyone, im only 2 episodes in but this show really reminds me of original Dragon Ball.

There is more to it that I can't quite put my finger one but i think it's mainly the dynamic between the characters and how they start as enemies and then team up + talking animals/monsters.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The show is obviously good and I saw it all in one sitting but I found it solely due to Imdb recommendations and the 8,3 rating there. Is Kipo one of these endless Netflix shows that don´t get promotions or get traction anywhere and then just die like Tuca & Bertie?
The recently translated from Chinese Scissor Seven is another example. Fucking hell Netflix. Why are you run like shit?
DreamWorks does good stuff for Netflix, they even had Studio Mir work on this. 8,5/10

Edit: Mir animated The Death of Superman 2019 (but only part 1) and is now a DC animation regular. Good for them. Steady work.

Last edited:

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
I really liked it. Looking forward to a season two and i liked all the ways they 'hide' Kipo's name.
Is Kipo purple? When the frog mention her skin as "untouched by the sun" I thought that was what he was referring to but more humans kept showing up and were decidedly not purple and now I'm confused.

Last edited: