• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
Sure, characters aside, the basic story is the same, but plot is somewhat secondary to the action in both films; and the action is going for different things.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Raid doesn't have a story. Also, Dredd was written first.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Dredd was in production before the Raid started filming, it just came out afterwards.

The Raid release date:

Canada
8 September 2011

(Toronto International Film Festival)

Dredd release date:
USA
11 July 2012

(San Diego Comic-Con)

So, your premise is that they wrote, casted, filmed, edited, scored, printed, and released Dredd a mere 9 months after the Raid was released?

Oct 26, 2017
Threads this basic are supposed to be about Star Wars.

And Dredd was finished filming before The Raid premiered.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
You gonna add anything else to the discussion op? It's not the same story.

Do you remember psychic mutants and slo mo drugs in the raid? Plenty of people have argued that they are similar and that is a fair comparison.

Did you know star wars and flash Gordon are both space operas?

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
The Raid doesn't have a story. Also, Dredd was written first.
not sure why people say this. The Raid's story is a pretty tight and twisty cop thriller perfect to hang the incredible fight choreography on, what with Rama and Andi's cop/criminal relationship. It's not profound but it's a good and classical hero/antihero pairing.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
not sure why people say this. The Raid's story is a pretty tight and twisty cop thriller perfect to hang the incredible fight choreography on, what with Rama and Andi's cop/criminal relationship. It's not profound but it's a good and classical hero/antihero pairing.

Did the story start near the end? I never watched the last third.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Dredd was in production before the Raid started filming, it just came out afterwards.

The Raid release date:

Canada
8 September 2011

(Toronto International Film Festival)

Dredd release date:
USA
11 July 2012

(San Diego Comic-Con)

So, your premise is that they wrote, casted, filmed, edited, scored, printed, and released Dredd a mere 9 months after the Raid was released?

I didn't know showings at film festivals counted as release dates, because the Raid was released in March of 2012 in Canada. But your point stands. How can Dredd be a remake for a film that was in production around the same time?

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't know showings at film festivals counted as release dates, because the Raid was released in March of 2012 in Canada. But your point stands. How can Dredd be a remake for a film that was in production around the same time?

Those were just the first dates listed on imdb. I mean, the film was shown, so it must've been ready at that time, or close to it, with a few sfx shots left to do.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Really enjoyed The Raid. Loved Dredd. Talk about a movie that really took me by surprised.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While the argument that Dredd copied the Raid (which OP didn't make) doesn't hold up, they are extremely similar. This is something that has been pointed out since release though, so you're not breaking any new ground yourself OP

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This comparison is less interesting than Kung Fu Panda and Beverly Hills Ninja