• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.wsj.com/articles/driving-the-kids-are-so-over-it-11555732810

If teenagers are any guide, Americans' love affair with the automobile may no longer be something car makers can bank on.

The percentage of teens with a driver's license has tumbled in the last few decades and more young people are delaying purchasing their first car—if buying one at all, say analysts, generational experts and car industry executives. About a quarter of 16-year-olds had a driver's license in 2017, a sharp decline from nearly half in 1983, according to an analysis of licensing data by transportation researcher Michael Sivak.

Whereas a driver's license once was a symbol of freedom, teenagers are reaching their driving age at a time when most have access to ride-hailing services such as Uber and Lyft to shuttle them around town. At the same time, social media and video chat let them hang out with friends without actually leaving the house.

When they reach their 20s, more are moving to big cities with mass transit, where owning a car is neither necessary nor practical. And of those who do buy a car, many more than in older generations opt for a used one, according to J.D. Power.

One reason for that is rising new-vehicle prices. Detroit has jettisoned many of their lower-priced compact and subcompact cars like the Ford Fiesta and Chevy Cruze that have traditionally been starter cars for young buyers. For the auto makers, the strategy makes sense: Sport-utility vehicles or trucks have steadily become more popular over the past decade, and also have much better profit margins.

Now, a new mind-set among many Generation Zers—roughly those born after 1997—is confounding parents and stumping auto makers at a time when new-vehicle sales in the U.S. are slowing.

The Dad in the article is perplexed

"I went out and got it immediately" upon turning 16, he said. "I wanted to get out of the house and go places. For her, getting a license is more like planning for the future."

June Metzler says she is content with inviting friends over or hanging out with them after school. "Going out to eat is hard, but I can live with it," she said.

TDLR:
  • Gen Z is showing a marked disinterest in obtaining a license. They are delaying it.
  • When they do buy, they opt for used vehicles, something automakers are wary of
  • They prefer compact cars and sedans over SUVs. These less profitable for automakers.
  • Many are fine using ride sharing services such as Uber/Lyft
  • Student loans, entry level jobs in urban areas, where public transit is better, is also affecting this shift.
  • States are cutting driver's ed courses, so students either need available and patient parents or take expensive classes.

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Surprised this is new.

Gen X was all about used vehicles. Why waste money on something new when an old car was paid off and just kept running?

Take care of your car and it'll last for decades.

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Cars are a money sink. If my country had a transportation system worth a damn I'd use it over being bothered by horrible drivers and traffic.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised this is new.

Gen X was all about used vehicles. Why waste money on something new when an old car was paid off and just kept running?

Take care of your car and it'll last for decades.
There was a recent study showing Millennials in a lot of car debt. Maybe Gen Z are the real chosen ones lol.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
They prefer compact cars and sedans over SUVs. These less profitable for automakers.

Which is funny when you think about it as Ford is going the opposite way, at least in the US (phasing out sedans in favor of trucks and SUVs). I mean I know the F-150 is a huge seller for them, but still.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Just chalk up American car culture as another generational phenomena that boomers will desperately cling to and rail against younger generations for largely abandoning.

Isn't this partially that nifty invisible hand of the market?

You keep making your product more and more expensive, less practical, and a drain to own and maintain.

Demand goes down.

You just keep on doing what you're doing.

Demand starts to tank.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm seems like so many other things

zgYqLbW.jpg

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Can't afford a car to go out and do things you can't afford to do with time off you don't have

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A license is better to have than not. It's still very much a huge freedom even if you don't use it. Relying on public services and taxis isn't ideal all the time.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Gen Z will be carless. American doesn't have that infrastructure. They can just delay it due to Uber and such.

I thought you had to be 18 to use a ride share?
Yeah, the kids in the article are late teens so maybe they just lie? Idk.

Once self driving ride sharing services start, bye bye private ownership. It won't be Gen Z, but the generation after it. We will die. People forget that. We are old fogies.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get my driver's license till I was 20... just didn't feel the need, and with uber and other ride services, I imagine it's even less of a concern for teens today.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
I got my license a couple of years ago (at 35) and I only use my car for going to Costco, basically. Driving is fun, though.

brokenmachine

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I (25) have my license, but the longest I've ever had my own car was 10 months. Not sure if I'll ever get another.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
One reason for that is rising new-vehicle prices. Detroit has jettisoned many of their lower-priced compact and subcompact cars like the Ford Fiesta and Chevy Cruze that have traditionally been starter cars for young buyers. For the auto makers, the strategy makes sense: Sport-utility vehicles or trucks have steadily become more popular over the past decade, and also have much better profit margins.

Which will just further snowball on them as the kids get older and become even less reliable on cars. There has to be an entry point.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Honestly, while I doubt that I'll ever fully commit to this, I do often think about moving somewhere that was "walkable" in the sense that everything I needed was within a few blocks of my house. I just feel that you make so many other compromises in an effort to live close to everything, especially when it comes to living space.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
June Metzler says she is content with inviting friends over or hanging out with them after school. "Going out to eat is hard, but I can live with it," she said.

Already solved - fire up UberEats/Postmates/etc and take the luxury of eating out to the comfort of your own home

TheeFanatic

Oct 26, 2017
I'm most of the time on my own so i defintely need a car. Uber and lyft trips starts adding up too expensive

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
When ride sharing tanks/raises prices to stay afloat that is going to be a rude awakening for a lot of people.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
There are a ton of new laws in various states that severely limit what a 16 year old can do with a car. Like they're not allowed to drive with any other kids unless an adult is present for example.

Here is an excerpt from minor driver restrictions in California.

"Once you have your provisional DL, you may drive alone, as long as you do not have any collisions or traffic violations on your driving record. During the first 12 months after you are licensed, you cannot drive between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. and cannot transport passengers under 20 years old, unless accompanied by a California-licensed parent or guardian, a California-licensed driver 25 years old or older, or a licensed or certified driving instructor."

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
That's a bit much. This is more like delayed adoption than abandonsing
Eh, I'm talking mainly about American car culture as defined by the fifties and sixties, really. As far far as i can see the amount of americans tooling around with cars in their own garages has not been increasing since those times. I see this new shift in perspective as just the latest manifestation of the of the ever shrinking mindshare of American car mythology.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If I lived in a place where public transportation was actually good I would sell my car. I have had my licence since I was 16 and have lived in places where having a vehicle is pretty much mandatory if you do not want to take forever to get places.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I have no choice in Southern California. I love having my car and I'm gonna finish paying it off this year hopefully. Plan on keeping it into my 30s for sure.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Isn't this partially that nifty invisible hand of the market?

You keep making your product more and more expensive, less practical, and a drain to own and maintain.

Demand goes down.

You just keep on doing what you're doing.

Demand starts to tank.
And when demand goes low.... So to shall prices.

*fingers crossed*

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
I'm almost positive I've seen the exact same articles writing about Millenials at some point. The general trend seems to be continuing though in that Millenials and now seemingly Gen Z are showing declining interest in milestones that were previously so important to older generations such as driving/owning a car and owning a house. I think a lot of it is driven by the economy and unaffordability of a house/car and then as the article touches on, people now get a lot of satisfaction and fulfillment from other and less expensive social interactions and so don't feel the need to own these big ticket items previously seen as the pinacle of social stature.

Oct 27, 2017
I got my drivers license when I was 16 and had a used '76 Mustang (when those cars were really ugly). I was totally irresponsible while driving and really shouldn't have gotten my license until I was 18. Thankfully I didn't get any tickets or hurt anyone at least but I drove way too fast.
Neither of my 14 year olds seems all that interested so far and I'm glad for that.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Inurance, gas, maintenance, registration etc it all eats up anybody's income imagine how much money you can save without having all of that.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding the US metro areas with decent public transport, let me see:

NYC Metro is the top--Multiple Commuter rail, subway, and buses
DC is next
Chicago is up there
SF/Bay Area
Boston
Philly

That's it really.

Am I wrong? Anywhere I'm missing where you can be basically carless? Not many options yet. LA is developing a subway system, but I heard LA has too much sprawl, similar to Houston.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Insurance prices was the reason I waited to start driving. I was 23 when I started to learn to drive. The older you are the cheaper it got. I was charged €1,300 a year at that age. My neighbours kids when turned 18 were charged €5,000

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I've done a 180 on my attitude towards cars. I drove a sportscar when I was younger, but now I drive the most affordable, fuel efficient vehicle I can find. I will likely be paying cash for a slightly newer car in the near future. And once again it will be energy efficient and have a good maintenance record. I won't pay 40k+ for a nice, new vehicle. It makes zero sense financially, it's a vanity purchase and a waste of money.