Space Gomez

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

What the hell is Dropout?
Dropout is a paid video streaming service that focuses primarily on loosely scripted comedy shows. It features a big, diverse, rotating cast of comedians, improvisers, and writers that tend to pop into other Dropout shows. A lot of the players come from CollegeHumor, as Dropout was intended to be a paid spinoff service for the media company. Due to some Corporate Fuckery™, it's kind of all that's left of CH. But Dropout is still soldiering on with some pretty great content.

Sign up here for $6 a month, or $60 a year ($48 when you use the promo code DROPOUTFULLYEAR)

On Spoilers
Feel free to give feedback on this, but I think we should keep spoilers marked for at least the first week an episode is out. After that, use your best judgment. If there's a huge highlight of an older episode you want to discuss, maybe consider marking it.

The next two posts are a list of all their actively produced shows, including links to FREE EPISODES, my recommendations, and other places on social media you can see their stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Space Gomez

Space Gomez

Oct 28, 2017
A couple more things: just wanted to give an honorable mention to Total Forgiveness. It's finished already, but it's one of my favorite things on Dropout. Grant and Ally challenge each other to do painful/embarrassing stunts to pay off their student loans. Imagine if a show like Impractical Jokers or Jackass had a season-wide arc.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzQDifGMnPE

And to start off some discussion, who's hyped for Battle Royale?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kexZC6icLK4
Not a big reality TV guy but Ally being here to redeem themselves seems like classic reality TV. I think it's gonna be good.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Dimension 20 is the best actual play out there. There, I said it. It honestly sort of transcends the medium, to the point where calling it an "actual play" feels like you're sort of underselling the creativity and storytelling put into it. Everybody likes Fantasy High but in addition to that, Unsleeping City is so good and I'm really enjoying the current season, Neverafter, as well.

And the trifecta of Game Changer/Make Some Noise/Play it by Ear is always a good time. It's impressive how Sam Reich & Co. have been able to build out more and more shows. They've come a long way from that first season of Game Changer with that terribly painted set.

Meleina

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome thread! Dropout is one of the few services I'm subscribed to and I find myself watching videos quite often. My favourites are Game Changer and Dimension 20 at the moment. D20 has so many fantastic campaigns. The teams they use have such good energy. I totally agree with the above poster. Unsleeping City is amazing. The first season is free on Youtube for anyone who wants to check it out. The sub is worth it for their other seasons too (A Crown of Candy, Mice & Murder).

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay dropout! Good job on the OT. In addition to Game Changer and spin offs, which I've already sung the praises of, my next most watched show is certainly Um Actually. That's a great low stress just have it going kind of show. I'm also devastatingly good at it, which might just be a self incrimination of how much of my brain is filled with pointless nerd knowledge. But hey it works here!

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool! I have kind of gone through the cycle of liking dropout to loving dropout to regretting my annual subscription, but Game Changer is still really really fun! Great season so far.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I just started watching D20 (like 3 episodes into Fantasy High) and it's great. As a Critical Role fan I'm really enjoying the different vibe that results from a cast with a comedy/improv background instead of more traditional (voice) acting.
Also Brennan is just a tremendous presence as a DM

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been plowing through Game Changer and I laughed so hard during "Next Slide Please" in S3 that I nearly choked. Would have been a happy way to go.

It looks like there's a movie called The Disruptors coming out in June with a bunch of those actors. Is that just going to be on Dropout? I haven't even looked to see if there are other films on the service...

Ivy Veritas

Jan 5, 2019
It looks like there's a movie called The Disruptors coming out in June with a bunch of those actors. Is that just going to be on Dropout? I haven't even looked to see if there are other films on the service...

It's not a Dropout thing. Looks like it's from a former CollegeHumor/Dropout producer and funded via Kickstarter, and then he got a bunch of his friends to star in it. I don't see any news about how it'll be released, so he's probably still looking for a buyer.

EDIT: Note that this is different than the 2022 documentary by the same name, if you're confused while trying to look up information.

Last edited:

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to catch up on Dimension 20 but there are so many seasons now. At least I have no shortage of content to watch.

For the most part (unless its a direct continuation like TUC 1 and 2) you can watch seasons independently of each other and don't really have to follow the release order. Since the concepts are so heavily tied to a specific genre or parody a type of fiction/movie, you can pick and choose the ones that sound the best to you! I recommend Mice & Murder, that might be my favorite D20 season just for how different it feels from the rest of the catalogue.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm catching up on a bunch of Game Changer episodes and I also need to jump back into D20. It's great.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Okay so I subscribed a week or so ago whenever that thread about Game Changers popped up.

I have become addicted. I love this streaming service. First, I love Sam Reich. He seems like such an amazingly joyous and nice person. His glee is contagious, and he's so good at playing different roles as needed. Also I love his voice.

But mainly I love just how feel good the entire thing is. It's a comedy site, but the stuff I've watched so far feels like there's a kindness and genuine vibe behind it that I adore. I also really appreciate how diverse and inclusive the talent spread is.

I never really watched college humor since it was a bit before my time. I know this is some offshoot or child of college humor, but damn I never expected it to be like this. I love it.

Also Grant is amazing. I also really like Brennan and Rekha too. Haven't seen enough of the others to know them well yet.

OP
OP
Space Gomez

Space Gomez

Oct 28, 2017
Okay so I subscribed a week or so ago whenever that thread about Game Changers popped up.

I have become addicted. I love this streaming service. First, I love Sam Reich. He seems like such an amazingly joyous and nice person. His glee is contagious, and he's so good at playing different roles as needed. Also I love his voice.

But mainly I love just how feel good the entire thing is. It's a comedy site, but the stuff I've watched so far feels like there's a kindness and genuine vibe behind it that I adore. I also really appreciate how diverse and inclusive the talent spread is.

I never really watched college humor since it was a bit before my time. I know this is some offshoot or child of college humor, but damn I never expected it to be like this. I love it.

Also Grant is amazing. I also really like Brennan and Rekha too. Haven't seen enough of the others to know them well yet.
There are so many things to like about Dropout. It's good-natured without being cloying, everyone seems to genuinely enjoy each other, and most of all, it's funny. It's easy to root for their success.

Dimension 20 is the best actual play out there. There, I said it. It honestly sort of transcends the medium, to the point where calling it an "actual play" feels like you're sort of underselling the creativity and storytelling put into it.
Really? I haven't seen any other actual play shows so I just assumed they're all like D20 lol

And thanks for the feedback on the OT, everyone! I thought I'd use this OT to learn Affinity Photo/Publisher. Coming from Adobe stuff, a lot of the design choices in those apps feel really wonky.

ozhenson

May 26, 2022
Do the Drawfee guys still have a show on Dropout? I remember seeing a first season and really really enjoying it, but I've completely forgotten it's name, or anything about it.

Oct 26, 2017
For the most part (unless its a direct continuation like TUC 1 and 2) you can watch seasons independently of each other and don't really have to follow the release order. Since the concepts are so heavily tied to a specific genre or parody a type of fiction/movie, you can pick and choose the ones that sound the best to you! I recommend Mice & Murder, that might be my favorite D20 season just for how different it feels from the rest of the catalogue.

What's hard is deciding what season to watch. I'm currently making my way through Fantasy High: Sophomore Year as well as Neverafter.

Ivy Veritas

Jan 5, 2019
Do the Drawfee guys still have a show on Dropout? I remember seeing a first season and really really enjoying it, but I've completely forgotten it's name, or anything about it.

Cartoon Hell, maybe? I haven't watched it, but it looks like there were two seasons. I don't believe it's currently active, though. Sam recently said Dropout has seven active shows, which should correspond with the seven the OP posted about above. (I was a little worried about whether Breaking News was still going since there hasn't been a new episode in a year, but according to twitter posts, they were recording the new season last week.)

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

They're all officially separate from CH/Dropout now and put everything on their own Youtube channel. Their only current ongoing "show" is Drawtectives which is very fun. They of course still put out ~3 videos a week of their normal prompt based Drawfee content and are fantastic.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
What's hard is deciding what season to watch. I'm currently making my way through Fantasy High: Sophomore Year as well as Neverafter.

There was a graph/chart on the D20 wiki that sorted out the genre/vibe that I felt was a decent way of sussing out which ones to go after. There are also a handful of seasons that aren't DMd by Brennan so you could have a taster of those as well to see different styles.

OP
OP
Space Gomez

Space Gomez

Oct 28, 2017
First episode of Game Changer: Battle Royale just dropped!

Really bummed to see Ify and Adam leave so early. I mean I guess it's a bummer to see any of them leave early, but Ify was clearly ready to play. Could've made a great series.

Any early bets on who's winning? Before watching I thought Izzy would crush it, but Tao and Vic are hungryyyy. I could see them having a really strong alliance until one of them is at risk, at which point they turn on each other lmao

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017

Really bummed to see Ify and Adam leave so early. I mean I guess it's a bummer to see any of them leave early, but Ify was clearly ready to play. Could've made a great series.

Any early bets on who's winning? Before watching I thought Izzy would crush it, but Tao and Vic are hungryyyy. I could see them having a really strong alliance until one of them is at risk, at which point they turn on each other lmao

Solid first ep, the games/challenges are pretty fun so far. Unfortunately my annual sub runs out in a few days so I will just wait til it's over before I resub for all of em.

Vic is a front runner for me but it's hard to tell just because of how they edit the deliberations/negotiating. It seemed like it was Ify + Jacob vs Anna + Izzy with Vic being the decider, but it seemed like Ify got tricked/had suspicions about Jacob anyway, when we didn't see any of that. I definitely feel the second group is stronger overall though, but that could definitely change in a couple immunity games.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the Don't Cry episode of Game Changer and I was bawling as much as Jess by the end. Everyone there just seems like the best person.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022

Just watched it, it was great! I legitimately have no idea who will take it. My money would have been on Ify before he got voted out so now i'm not sure.

But as someone who has never seen Survivor, this is both entertaining and also deeply stressful to watch.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've now watched every episode of Game Changer. I'm very sad that I've caught up. What should I dive into next?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I've now watched every episode of Game Changer. I'm very sad that I've caught up. What should I dive into next?
There are several Game Changer spin-offs: Make Some Noise is a spinoff of the "impressions battle" series with Josh, Zac, and Brennan, and Play It By Ear is a spin-off of the musical episode, "The Official Cast Recording." If you enjoyed any of those episodes you will probably enjoy the spin-off series!

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are several Game Changer spin-offs: Make Some Noise is a spinoff of the "impressions battle" series with Josh, Zac, and Brennan, and Play It By Ear is a spin-off of the musical episode, "The Official Cast Recording." If you enjoyed any of those episodes you will probably enjoy the spin-off series!

Just watched the first episode of Make Some Noise and couldn't breathe during the bit when Josh was trying to describe a whale with a women's body.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I recommend Mice & Murder, that might be my favorite D20 season just for how different it feels from the rest of the catalogue.
I loved Mice & Murder so much. I would kill for a full campaign with the main crew. It's such a fun setting. Start out as some thieves in the big city doing jobs that then falls into something larger and more nefarious. Maybe introduce some light Gothic/Lovecraftian horror to it. Basically Mice and Murder with a dash of The Unsleeping City.

Oh dope new trailer for the next season of D20:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4xTd-NjEj4

Last edited:

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I joked about how Brennan came on to do a doomed backstory for CR so Matt should come on and do the same, but I was thinking in Fantasy High's history. I'll definitely take in ACoC's though

Meleina

Oct 25, 2017
Mice & Murder was fantastic and one of my favourite campaigns. The team they used was a joy to watch. I hope they join in on another D20 session in the future!

Also, very much looking forward to the Ravening War. I really liked A Crown of Candy! There's only going to be 6 episodes, though.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Mice & Murder so much. I would kill for a full campaign with the main crew. It's such a fun setting. Start out as some thieves in the big city doing jobs that then falls into something larger and more nefarious. Maybe introduce some light Gothic/Lovecraftian horror to it. Basically Mice and Murder with a dash of The Unsleeping City.

Oh dope new trailer for the next season of D20:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4xTd-NjEj4

Forgot the trailer was dropping, that's awesome! I saw speculation that it was the Ravening War but didn't keep up with the hints. 5 people at the table seems odd since they usually go with 4 or 6, wonder if someone dropped out last minute? The characters look cool, I wonder if they will continue the vibe of "deadly season" or if it'll lighten up a bit.

evilpigking

Oct 25, 2017
Put my watch of The Seven on hold to watch Crown of Candy in preparation. I been watching the D20 campaigns kinda randomly. Seen all the Spyre stuff except finishing The Seven. Did Sleeping City, Court of Fey, Misfits and Magic Blood Keep, Tiny, and Neverafter

Haven't seen Coffin Run, Starstuck, Shriek, Or Mice yet. Mice would probably have been next if I hadn't started Candy

Oct 26, 2017
In case anyone was curious about how the strike might affect College Humor/Dropout Sam said this:
samReich.jpg

Sam Reich said:
we stand behind our WGA friends 100%. that being said, we don't employ union writers, nor are we host to traditional writing gigs. our general policy is, if folks don't want to work, they have our blessing; if they do, they have our blessing. we are a streamer, and the union's issues are largely around backend participation, so we're having conversations internally as to whether or not we can do any better in that regard.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Resubbed to enjoy the finale of the game changer survivor and loved it. These people are all great and the right person won honestly, in terms of both playing the game and delivering hilarious tv so to speak.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Ravening War Ep. 3

oh man. Lou realising who they were there to kill, and then committing so hard to killing Pamela, the mother of his ACoC character cause he knows that she's gotta die. Brennan's reaction too. So good

Meleina

Oct 25, 2017
Ravening War Ep. 3

oh man. Lou realising who they were there to kill, and then committing so hard to killing Pamela, the mother of his ACoC character cause he knows that she's gotta die. Brennan's reaction too. So good

That was such a great section of the episode. Lou having no chill and going straight in with that action surge was crazy. I do think it's funny that Brennan unintentionally finished Pamela off.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, as much as Ravening War is standalone in that it's a prequel to ACOC that came after, so there's a level of standalone there, all the historical events and people you see are considered expected knowledge. But so far, I'm quite enjoying Ravening. It's also interesting that the episodes are set as time jumps, essentially. One episode is one event in one year of the war so far

Oct 26, 2017
I like watching The Ravening War without knowing what happens in A Crown of Candy. I look forward to watching ACOC once I finish Fantasy High: Sophomore Year and Neverafter

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
God damn that finale was good. I'm also rewatching Fantasy High and I think it still might be my favorite of the campaigns. Some of the shit they pull is amazingly wild. Gilear alone is just a trip.

So how is Ravening War? Should I watch the original series before it?
It's excellent, the finale was sublime. But you should for sure watch ACoC first to really appreciate it all. If nothing else to understand what Brennan built and came up with in creating the world and setting. Watching Brennan just lose his shit as a player in the Ravening War as he sees the crazy web of details and mystery that Mercer has concocted in the world Brennan created is one of the greatest delights you'll ever witness. The finale especially was just a joy to see Brennan's brain melt at the revelations.

Oct 26, 2017
My current progress of Dimension 20 (X is completed. / is in progress):

X Fantasy High (+2 live shows)
X Escape from the Bloodkeep
▢ The Unsleeping City
X Tiny Heist
▢ A Crown of Candy
X Fantasy High: Sophomore Year (+2 live streams)
X Pirates of Leviathan
▢ The Unsleeping City: Chapter II
▢ Mice & Murder
X Misfits and Magic (+1 holiday special, +1 live show)
▢ The Seven
▢ Shriek Week
▢ A Starstruck Odyssey
▢ Coffin Run
▢ A Court of Fey and Flowers
/ Neverafter
X The Ravening War
▢ Dungeons and Drag Queens

Oct 26, 2017
Subbed this last week for Dungeons and Drag Queens. Episode 1 was my first foray into watching D&D and I really enjoyed it. When all is said and done I might have to dip into some other Dimension 20.