• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
First trailer is finally out.

Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest is a labor of love from the makers of the critically acclaimed Legend of Grimrock series. Druidstone is a tactical, single-player, turn-based roleplaying game, which combines the best qualities of modern RPGs with the elegance of tactical boardgames. Every action, every turn counts as you control your party of heroes through handcrafted, challenging missions with varying objectives.

Druidstone is set in a unique fantasy world, Elo Sphaera, filled with ancient, lush forests, standing stones, snow-topped mountains, deadly creatures and puzzle-ridden ruins. The epic story about love and death is centered around the main characters Leonhard, Aava and Oiko, who will along the way meet up with unexpected companions and villains, each with their unique personalities and abilities.
Get ready to venture forth and uncover the secrets of the Menhir Forest!

Key Features
A tactical turn- and tile-based battle system where every action, every turn counts.
Upgrade the abilities of your heroes as you see fit using power gems obtained by completing missions and discovering hidden treasures.
Challenging, hand-crafted missions with playtimes ranging from 15 minutes to 45 minutes.
Solve devious non-combat puzzle levels to obtain rare equipment.
A gripping, fantastic story of love and death centered around the main characters Leonhard, Aava and Oiko.
A unique fantasy setting combining elements from western RPGs, JRPGs and tactical boardgames in unexpected ways.
Play custom missions created by others or make your own campaigns with the upcoming Druidstone Level Editor available as a post release update.

Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/954650/Druidstone_The_Secret_of_the_Menhir_Forest/
GOG: https://www.gog.com/game/druidstone_the_secret_of_the_menhir_forest

EDIT - And of course there's a typo on the title...

Last edited:

asmodejan

Oct 27, 2017
I really, really like Grimrock and on paper this should be even more up my alley. Curious.

OP
OP
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
Oct 31, 2017
Finally turn based game from the studio! :) Day-1!
Yep.
Both the Legend Of Grimrock games were excellent (the second arguably the pinnacle of the "blobber" genre) and that was *despise* the half-assed real-time combat.
If they can match that quality in level and puzzle design with a turn-based tactical system on top of it, we may be in for a real treat.

sanhora

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great!

Is it steam only so far?
Grimrock's on GOG and Humble Store, no reason to assume the same won't be true for this.
If you meant consoles, I don't think that's going to happen, at least not simultaneously. From what I understand, the team working on this is very small.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Grimrock 1 and Grimrock 2 are two of my favorite games in recent years. This looks amazing. I am in DAY ONE!

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
That's sad LoG 2 didn't do better. It was excellent. So yep I'm quite interested in this one.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
The Editor is not getting enough recognition here.

Druidstone Editor
We are glad to announce that a very much anticipated feature, the Druidstone Editor, will be available as a post launch update. The editor will be the same tool we are using ourselves for building the missions for Druidstone. We have been amazed several times before by the quality of Grimrock mods, and with the power of the much more versatile Druidstone Editor with WYSIWYG editing capabilities at their disposal, we can't wait to see what kind of crazy stuff the modders can accomplish this time.

IVVMLmj.jpg

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Wow.

I was gonna say interested because of Legend of Grimrock... but what I'm seeing changes that to definitely buying.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
On the one hand, this looks really good.
On the other hand, I'm a bit sad they didn't do a blobber, since that's an incredibly rare subgenre (sadly apparently for market reasons, given M&MX's and Grimrock 2's performance despite both being excellent games).

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know these guys are working on another game! I wanted Grimrock 3 though, but this is great for me too. From the trailer alone, there seems to be a decent variety in mission objectives and I like sub objectives as well. Looking forward to it.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probable day one pirchase just because Grimrock was so goddamned good. Grimrock 2 is a legit classic.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
Finally turn based game from the studio! :) Day-1!

It's a new studio isn't it? Just formed from folks that worked at Almost Human, this is being done by Ctrl Alt Ninja.

What happened to Almost Human?

Druidstone is developed by Ctrl Alt Ninja, who share many people from Almost Human. Almost Human is still alive but no new games are currently being developed. It is possible that Almost Human returns with another game some day, but meanwhile the Ctrl Alt Ninja team is fully focused on Druidstone. Technically we are a different studio (the ownership and structure of the companies are different). Think of us like members of a band who enjoy this so much that we have a dual membership in another band.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
This does look interesting. Adding to wishlist

Btw, what happened to the grimrock dev? They haven't released a game in four years. Shuttered?

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep.
Both the Legend Of Grimrock games were excellent (the second arguably the pinnacle of the "blobber" genre) and that was *despise* the half-assed real-time combat.
If they can match that quality in level and puzzle design with a turn-based tactical system on top of it, we may be in for a real treat.
I never finished the first game once I realised it is real time. It was a turn off for me.

xelios

Dec 22, 2017
Looks good, like the old Infinity Engine games, to a degree. The hearts really stick out to me, strange choice.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
didn't know about this, I'll check it out on Steam

definitely interested in any tactical RPG as long as it's polished and not buggy

Oct 28, 2017
Shame that Grimrock 2 didn't do so well. I would rather have Grimrock 3 to be honest.

I have a feeling this will go under as well, looks kinda generic.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely not. It's not even supposed to be similar at all.
This is a mission-based game where every map is a battle/puzzle on its own, for a start.

Fire Emblem is probably a more fitting comparison, bizarrely enough.

This one actually does quite a bit with the mission objectives, with map having optional objectives for additional rewards. I really like that. Modern Fire Emblem doesn't really do much with map objectives anymore. They're mostly straight up routfest. For that, I'm REALLY interested in this game.