• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5545

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only way to get ahold of them nowadays is to pay over MSRP on eBay or some used shop and hope it's not a bootleg - which it probably frigging is because good LORD these games got bootlegged to hell and back. I even resorted to going to Gamestop last week trying to find a copy of Pokemon Diamond and BOTH copies they had on display had those fuzzy-ass label jobs.

It's 2018 and we still paying $50 for Soul Silver IF YOU CAN FIND IT. Nah, man.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
The only way to get ahold of them nowadays is to pay over MSRP on eBay or some used shop and hope it's not a bootleg - which it probably frigging is because good LORD these games got bootlegged to hell and back. I even resorted to going to Gamestop last week trying to find a copy of Pokemon Diamond and BOTH copies they had on display had those fuzzy-ass label jobs.
Preach!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Agreed, they should be on 3DS store.

(don't buy Diamond, grab Platinum if you find it)

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought selling original DS games digitally on the 3DS eShop was something they would do eventually, but I guess not. Feels like a missed opportunity. Maybe we'll see a DS Classic Mini at some point?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Diamond, Pearl and Platinum actually got reprints a year or so ago. I remember seeing new copies of Platinum in particular at a few local places.

Pretty much shit outta luck for HGSS, though.

Anarki

Oct 27, 2017
Reprint is sadly impossible at this point since they stopped producing DS cards last year.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Rebuying old Pokemon carts is a real crapshoot. I blew 30 bucks on a Ruby cart on eBay once because we needed it for a livestream and it turned out to be some garbage bootleg with a Frankenstein circuit board. The sound started to randomly cut out about five minutes in :<

Don't worry though, I'm sure those Sinnoh remakes people beg for every single time Nintendo tweets will happen soon enough. Any day now. Lol.

Jadentheman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You know 4th gen will get te remake treatment in the next three years.

Better off hoping for the 3DS games getting emulated in some fashion on the switch

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why reprint Pokemon games when you can remake them in a few years anyways
I think you mean a few decades maybe. A Black and White Remake isn't coming for close to a decade if not more, not to mention BW2. Or in the case of Heart Gold Soul Silver, probably never.

Releasing them digitally wouldn't hurt.

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017
Diamond, Pearl and Platinum actually got reprints a year or so ago. I remember seeing new copies of Platinum in particular at a few local places.

Pretty much shit outta luck for HGSS, though.

They could have had been bootlegs as well. I have received a bootleg Pokemon Platinum before with a booklet and sealed. What gave it way was the booklet had incorrect images and/or images were fuzzy and the text print wasn't aligned.

quick edit: I'm in the U.S.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5545

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They could have had been bootlegs as well. I have received a bootleg Pokemon Platinum before with a booklet and sealed. What gave it way was the booklet had incorrect images and/or images were fuzzy and the text print wasn't aligned.

There's a couple of those going for >$100 on eBay right now and it's probably gonna be bought.

Meanwhile Nintendo is never going to put them up on the 3DS or Switch shop for some easy money.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, I somehow lost my Platinum copy and it infuriates me; don't want to buy a bootleg

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017

A friend of mine picked one of the Platinum copies up. They're legit, but they're the Malaysian/Saudi Arabia region releases of the game, as a sticker on the front of the art indicates (I have a copy of Ocarina of Time 3D like this as well).

They're pretty much the US versions of the game, but the back of the box indicates that there are no Wi-Fi features, so they were more than likely printed after the Wi-Fi shutdown.

Edit: Actually found a picture of the reprint box. Note the 2016 copyright on the back of the boxart:

m1AEjjY.jpg

058g3iK.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
lol, Nintendo properly preserving their legacy content.

There's no reason in this day and age that Nintendo's entire library shouldn't be accessible. Their back catalog is probably exceeded in value by none but Disney, and yet they have 15m+ sellers around a decade old that are unobtainable.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Thankfully a few years ago I decided to collect at least one of each GBA and DS Pokemon games so they weren't QUITE as rare at the time (and I had a decent local game shop too). I got it in my head that I'd collect all the Pokemon (because they were releasing all those impossible to get Event pokemon a few years ago every month so it was actually possible to get a legit collection), but what always happens is that I beat the main game of one Pokemon game and I'm done with Pokemon for a solid year or so, haha.

Only Pokemon Leaf-Green ended up being fake since I didn't know what to look for and unfortunately the bootlegged version of it has a bug where you can't progress past the cruise ship (like 20 hours into the game, which sucked). Fire Red doesn't have the bug, just Leaf-green, fml.

I still need one of B/W (I've got B2/W2), but I'm happy with my collection. I did sell Moon for Ultra Moon, since i hadn't gotten around to playing it yet, and UM only seemed like an improvement and not a real "sequel" version.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I think you mean a few decades maybe. A Black and White Remake isn't coming for close to a decade if not more, not to mention BW2. Or in the case of Heart Gold Soul Silver, probably never.

Releasing them digitally wouldn't hurt.

Don't remind me... I'd be tempted to buy Black 2 if it wasn't so difficult. An eShop release would get me to play my 3DS again.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
You're telling me. When Diamond/Pearl were first released, everyone tried to get GBA games to use them for the transfer thing. But the games were out of print and their loose prices went as high as $90.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Don't remind me... I'd be tempted to buy Black 2 if it wasn't so difficult. An eShop release would get me to play my 3DS again.
I've definitely been in that position several times now. It really sucks too. Even buying used will cost you near the cost of a brand new game which is insane.

Makes it really hard as a Nintendo fan to go back through their catalog of games you missed out on since they're usually so dang expensive.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed

(Like others have said, for the love of god buy Platinum. The pain of getting the national dex in Diamond and Pearl was painful. SO MUCH HONEY. SO MUCH TIME WASTED.)

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
All older games are being bootlegged, though the DS games were bootlegged when the system was still alive.

eBay doesn't try to do anything about the bootlegs that affect the retro gaming scene. Even reporting fakes doesn't seem to do anything. I think they have made a decision to turn a blind eye so they can make a few bucks. It's actually illegal and I hope the feds step in at some point but realize that's likely not going to happen.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5545

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All older games are being bootlegged, though the DS games were bootlegged when the system was still alive.

eBay doesn't try to do anything about the bootlegs that affect the retro gaming scene. Even reporting fakes doesn't seem to do anything. I think they have made a decision to turn a blind eye so they can make a few bucks. It's actually illegal and I hope the feds step in at some point but realize that's likely not going to happen.
Bruh they got this shit at gamestop like I said. Abandon any hope of that.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Agreed

(Like others have said, for the love of god buy Platinum. The pain of getting the national dex in Diamond and Pearl was painful. SO MUCH HONEY. SO MUCH TIME WASTED.)
It does go both ways, though. Outside of Diamond & Pearl, the only way to get Trapinch in Gen 4 outside of transferring from Gen III is to put a bunch of objects in the Safari Zone in HGSS and literally wait for a month.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would be interesting to see how they would do that given that the original gen 1 and 2 are on the virtual console and Game Freak likes to do with the whole continuity thing.

The reason there are no DS games on the eShop is, because the 3DS can't load DS games from the SD card and the internal memory is way to small for almost all retail releases.

Plus the fact that the on-line components are defunct thus rendering the games strictly single player only.

Agreed

Do you mean completing it or obtaining it as to obtain it you just need to see the Pokémon in the Sinnoh dex, which was easy as pie as all the trainers had access to most of the Pokémon, barring four.

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
Plus the fact that the on-line components are defunct thus rendering the games strictly single player only.

That's actually not really true, as you can still trade and battle locally with friends. But I agree, the Pokémon Company probably wouldn't have been okay with an eShop release regardless.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Heck they need to update the PokéTransporter app to allow for transport from generation 4 to 6/7.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'd gladly pay a few bucks for black and white on switch but they just want me to subscribe for nes games I don't care about instead.

Thank God for phones, almost every cart you can buy is bootleg anyways.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's really only a matter of time before the remakes of Diamond & Pearl on Switch. The Let's Go games probably delayed them a bit, but they'll come.

Deleted member 14002

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Diamond and Pearl were kind of shit.

HG/SS and Black and White 1/2 are the best in the franchise imo. R/S/E + OR/AS is up there too.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I own them all. I was surprised how expensive they've gotten.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I still have my original copies of HGSS with all the packaging and inserts and Pokewalker that I bought day 1, they are among my most prized gaming possessions after I learned how hard to find copies of the game are. Also own two copies of Platinum and one copy of Black 2 that I've lost and later found several times now.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I pray for a HGSS remake on Switch. I was so hype for those games, I regret never buying both. I have SS and do not want to start a new game and my acekard is broken so I can't use a secondary save. also feels weird as hell to use a DS Lite and look at those screens after using 3DS XL and Switch

I have both B&W IIRC, I think one might be at my parents' house and I definitely have one with at my place. Never bought BW2 as I didn't really see the need and regret that to this day.

I sold my English copy of Pearl, but still have my Japanese Diamond import from launch. Never bought Platinum, I wish I had as I found Gen 4 to be highly disappointing, but I've seen people rave about it here and at the old place.

If anyone has any Pokemon DS games that are legit, feel free to PM me

BTW, is there any real downside to buying a bootleg other than paying a shit ton of money for a BS game? I just want to play the game, as long as these carts work on my 3DS I do not really care.

Last edited:

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's even worse with the GBA carts... I am surprised the GBA games aren't on VC for the 3ds since they added the GBC ones.

Been trying to find an emerald and fire red cart for ages to replace the ones that were stolen for me, but ebay is just pages and pages of fakes.

I remember buying Ruby and Sapphire from Amazon years ago when they were more common and I ended up with fakes too, so I don't trust Amazon either :////

At least I still have my Heart Gold and Platinum carts, even though Soul Silver got stolen when someone broke into my apartment and stole my DS Lite Q_Q....

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agree, but I ignored Peal/Diamond pretty easy. Platinum/Black is the way to go. I get bored of Pkmn Moon pretty fast.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
It's not only true for Pokémon, a lot of JRPG gems from the Nintendo DS are so hard to find these days. Game preservation will get more and more costly if you want to fill gaps in your collection with missing titles.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Nintendo was heading in that direction recently when they started releasing the first and second generation games on 3DS virtual console. But it feels like they've slowed down on that a lot, if not stopped completely.