• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
So I recently bought a Dell S2716DG and have been having weird issues in dual screen. My other monitor is a basic 1080p ASUS IPS 60hz monitor, but whenever it's plugged in, I get really odd graphical glitches in fullscreen. IE- https://twitter.com/Soulflarz/status/933416212759007233, or a time it basically moved the middle of the screen to the left.

Ones using displayport (the 144hz 1440p new monitor obviously) and the other is using HDMI

If I plug one into the mobo and one into the GPU it works fine, but I know you're not supposed to really do that, so...
I tried switching out my 980 for another 980, same issues. Downclocking doesn't do anything either. Changed the PSU too.

ERA, any ideas? Is it my monitor? Is it a software issue?

accx

Oct 28, 2017
If all else fails, get a certified DP cable (i think only accell carries one).
The one that comes with the monitor seems to be hit or miss (i've got the same monitor and did exchange it 4-5 times because of unrelated early adoption syndrome) and while the cables worked fine on all monitors during this almost 2 month period, the current one i've been using since 2 years back started glitching out after about 6-12 months.
I bought one of the certified cables and haven't had any issues since. Displayport is once of those rare connections that needs a quality cable.
When it glitches out, are you sometimes not being able to chose 144hz? Like it would only go up to 120hz or whatnot?
You should turn off Deep sleep on the monitor aswell as have the response time on normal.

E:
You can check here to see if a cable is certified. Don't believe what amazon or whatever says.
https://www.displayport.org/product-category/cables-adaptors/

OP
OP
Soulflarz

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
If all else fails, get a certified DP cable (i think only accell carries one).
The one that comes with the monitor seems to be hit or miss (i've got the same monitor and did exchange it 4-5 times because of unrelated early adoption syndrome) and while the cables worked fine on all monitors during this almost 2 month period, the current one i've been using since 2 years back started glitching out after about 6-12 months.
I bought one of the certified cables and haven't had any issues since. Displayport is once of those rare connections that needs a quality cable.
When it glitches out, are you sometimes not being able to chose 144hz? Like it would only go up to 120hz or whatnot?
You should turn off Deep sleep on the monitor aswell as have the response time on normal.

E:
You can check here to see if a cable is certified. Don't believe what amazon or whatever says.
https://www.displayport.org/product-category/cables-adaptors/

I can do 144, its just random graphical glitches to hell and back. Is it the cord or the monitor? Also, 145+ breaks it (when most go to what, 165?)

accx

Oct 28, 2017
S2716DG is 144hz only. You're thinking of the 24" one which goes to 165hz (i believe).

Do a clean install of your drivers. (DDU in safe mode. Turn off Win10 auto install drivers, download newest drivers)
Factory reset the monitor. Disable Monitor Deep sleep. Response Time set to normal.
Disconnect all other monitors, only have the S2716DG connected. Are you experiencing issues then? I mean have it running like that through a day or two (or whatever timeframe you usually feel like it would happen).
Replace cable (This is 99% the culprit).

If that does not fix it, rma the monitor.

OP
OP
Soulflarz

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
S2716DG is 144hz only. You're thinking of the 24" one which goes to 165hz (i believe).

Do a clean install of your drivers. (DDU in safe mode. Turn off Win10 auto install drivers, download newest drivers)
Factory reset the monitor. Disable Monitor Deep sleep. Response Time set to normal.
Disconnect all other monitors, only have the S2716DG connected. Are you experiencing issues then? I mean have it running like that through a day or two (or whatever timeframe you usually feel like it would happen).
Replace cable (This is 99% the culprit).

If that does not fix it, rma the monitor.
Replacing the cable with certified one did nothing

Only clean installed GPU drivers, will do all in a minute. And sadly no, the issues only when I plug another monitor in, which is...really damn weird.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm pretty sure I have the same exact setup as you (I also bought that monitor yesterday)- I haven't experienced this though.

I'm using a 970 with the Asus plugged into the HDMI and the Dell plugged into the DP.

The first thing I did was install the drivers from the disc (even though I'm sure Windows 10 already had them installed the moment I plugged it in).

I have an extended display, set the Dell as Monitor 1 and primary in my display settings.

That video in your tweet doesn't really have enough context, can you possibly get the other monitor in there or make it happen a few times in a row?

If you got it at Best Buy, if it's not the latest revision (A07) you can return it and ask for one that is an A07. It's on the packaging near the UPC.

accx

Oct 28, 2017
Either it's a failing GPU, a faulty monitor or some kind of weird interference?
Which cable did you buy? How long is it? anything beyond 3m for DP is risky IIRC (don't quote me on that, someone please correct me).
Even so, how bundled up is the cable? Even though i have a certified dp cable i have to keep it super straight and avoid it interfere with other cables.
I've got shitty electricity though which causes all kinds of interference, but i digress.

If you feel like you've tried everything, just RMA it. Dell is fantastic when it comes to warranty issues. Usually you'll get a replacement monitor and if you're lucky, the one picking up yours will be delayed for awhile. I ended up having 2 of these for awhile when i had to send them back.
If you're wondering, i had the issue with what's been known as the "butt marks". This was something that happened to a lot of us early adopters and most immediately RMA'd. Thing is, the "butt cheek" syndrome goes away after a couple of days. I regrettably rma'd my first one which had perfect colours because of this. When i had two, i got to keep em for 2-3 weeks and both had the issue. I decided to turn on one of those just an hour before returning them and it was gone. I've written about it extensively on overclock.net.
So for new users getting this monitor, it'll go away, it wont damage your monitor. If you have the issue for more than a month however, rma.
This was super off topic though, sorry for that OP.
Like i said, if you feel like you've done everything... Just replace it. If that doesn't fix it, i dunno. Something else might be on the fritz.

EDIT:
For comparisons sake. I'm running a i5 3570k, GTX 1070, Dell S2716DG + a qnix "korea monitor".
Both running 1440p. 144hz G-sync on dell, 120hz overclocked on the qnix.
In the past i've also had 2x 22" 60hz samsung 1680*1050 monitors connected. All without issues.

OP
OP
Soulflarz

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Either it's a failing GPU, a faulty monitor or some kind of weird interference?
Which cable did you buy? How long is it? anything beyond 3m for DP is risky IIRC (don't quote me on that, someone please correct me).
Even so, how bundled up is the cable? Even though i have a certified dp cable i have to keep it super straight and avoid it interfere with other cables.
I've got shitty electricity though which causes all kinds of interference, but i digress.

If you feel like you've tried everything, just RMA it. Dell is fantastic when it comes to warranty issues. Usually you'll get a replacement monitor and if you're lucky, the one picking up yours will be delayed for awhile. I ended up having 2 of these for awhile when i had to send them back.
If you're wondering, i had the issue with what's been known as the "butt marks". This was something that happened to a lot of us early adopters and most immediately RMA'd. Thing is, the "butt cheek" syndrome goes away after a couple of days. I regrettably rma'd my first one which had perfect colours because of this. When i had two, i got to keep em for 2-3 weeks and both had the issue. I decided to turn on one of those just an hour before returning them and it was gone. I've written about it extensively on overclock.net.
So for new users getting this monitor, it'll go away, it wont damage your monitor. If you have the issue for more than a month however, rma.
This was super off topic though, sorry for that OP.
Like i said, if you feel like you've done everything... Just replace it. If that doesn't fix it, i dunno. Something else might be on the fritz.

EDIT:
For comparisons sake. I'm running a i5 3570k, GTX 1070, Dell S2716DG + a qnix "korea monitor".
Both running 1440p. 144hz G-sync on dell, 120hz overclocked on the qnix.
In the past i've also had 2x 22" 60hz samsung 1680*1050 monitors connected. All without issues.

insignia 6ft, not tangled at all, exact same issue with 2 diff cables and fresh drivers

also just changed out the GPU because I thought it was the GPU and noope, same issue on two diff 980s (and diff PSUs)

still get this issue with 1 monitor only (look at the far left, theres pixels from the middle on the far left for some weird reason)

20171124_124523.jpg

as for the weird flashing when I have two monitors plugged in? Yeah, happens every time I alt tab RL.

accx

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what to tell you... RMA the monitor.

Sorry, i hope you get it sorted. You should really consider returning it and get a new one imo.
It's unacceptable and since i own the monitor myself, i can safely say that i haven't experienced what you have (well kind of when i used the original dp cable.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soulflarz

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what to tell you... RMA the monitor.

Sorry, i hope you get it sorted. You should really consider returning it and get a new one imo.
It's unacceptable and since i own the monitor myself, i can safely say that i haven't experienced what you have (well kind of when i used the original dp cable.)

Yeep my best buy doesnt have it in stock atm so that kinda sucks for returning, ugh.