• It's the most wonderful time of the year! Make your list and check it twice. The ResetEra Games of the Year 2019 Voting Thread is now live. Voting will be open for the next 1 day, 5 hours, 22 minutes, 11 seconds, and will close on Jan 26, 2020 at 9:00 AM.

DualShock 4 Back Button Attachment review thread

Justified

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Picked one up, I will say using it for anything other that L3/R3 or the Dpad will take some getting used to. Also since it only replicates and does not add a button, I find myself trying to figure what to do with it. Outside of that its a pretty neat attachment.

TriGen

Oct 27, 2017
Just got mine and tried it out — I’m definitely happy. It rests perfectly for my middle fingers to hit the buttons and it feels good. It’s really easy to program too. I’ve love the Xbox Elite controller since it came out and while the textured feel of that controller is great and the hair triggers are nice the paddles are the most useful part to me, so getting a comfortable version of that for cheap is nice. I really do hope the DS5 does have back buttons built-in and if not I’d be happy if this worked with it.

I will add if you’re someone that’s never used paddles before, I generally find they are most helpful in games that have jump buttons or crouch. COD is the obvious example as you can keep full camera control while jumping or sliding, there’s no taking your thumb off the stick, hitting the button, then turning the camera afterward. I no we’re talking fractions here but doing it all in one fluid motion really does make a difference. KH3’s DLC is almost here and I made a preset of square/circle so I can jump and guard while moving the camera, again I’m big on having jump on one paddle and then whatever else you think is important for the other. Of course the obvious L3/D-Pad stuff is nice too depending on the game.

Last edited:

Darvan

Oct 27, 2017
Nevada
Argh, I went to Walmart Brick-seeker says they have 2-3 in stock I couldn't find it any where I went and asked and clerk answer to me is computer sometimes say we have things in stock and we don't LOL

Tango-Pirate

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Picked one up, I will say using it for anything other that L3/R3 or the Dpad will take some getting used to. Also since it only replicates and does not add a button, I find myself trying to figure what to do with it. Outside of that its a pretty neat attachment.
The most use case for paddles on a controller, and what they were originally designed for, is to have them mapped to jump/mantle and crouch (X/O, A/B) in shooters to give you full maneuverability without having to take your thumbs off the sticks.

Obviously this can translate to other functions in other types of games and is down to the users personal preference but having them mapped to L3/R3 would be the least use case for them.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Picked up mine this morning from WalMart. It's a bit tougher to get on than I thought it would be, but once I got it on, it was fine.

First thing I tried it with was Rocket League and moved the R1/L1 actions to it (scoreboard/reverse look), though that game being fully customizable and not being overloaded with actions limits the need for it. It's at least easy to set-up and make changes, but trying to figure out what, if any, actions should be mapped to it in the games I'm playing is the challenge. I got the cheap Steam controller and have found some use for the paddle buttons on the back in some games, like turn signals in American Truck Sim.

LBsquared

Nov 22, 2019
Searching for it on Target has been removed, which I guess is what they do when they're completely out of stock of something. Sony doesn't appear to have stocked these very well. Using the inventory tracker, only half of the 20 or so Targets in my area got any, and the ones that did got 1-3 of them. Now even their online orders are sold out. I'm guessing they got swamped with online orders once people knew they had them and Amazon/BB/GS didn't.

Oct 25, 2017
Searching for it on Target has been removed, which I guess is what they do when they're completely out of stock of something. Sony doesn't appear to have stocked these very well. Using the inventory tracker, only half of the 20 or so Targets in my area got any, and the ones that did got 1-3 of them. Now even their online orders are sold out. I'm guessing they got swamped with online orders once people knew they had them and Amazon/BB/GS didn't.
I was able to do ship to store/home:

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Picked up mine this morning from WalMart. It's a bit tougher to get on than I thought it would be, but once I got it on, it was fine.

First thing I tried it with was Rocket League and moved the R1/L1 actions to it (scoreboard/reverse look), though that game being fully customizable and not being overloaded with actions limits the need for it. It's at least easy to set-up and make changes, but trying to figure out what, if any, actions should be mapped to it in the games I'm playing is the challenge. I got the cheap Steam controller and have found some use for the paddle buttons on the back in some games, like turn signals in American Truck Sim.
I would do jump and boost for rocket league but that's just me.

bruhaha

Jun 13, 2018
Has anyone else played Red Dead 2 with the attachment? I‘m having an issue where the controller shuts off frequently at random with the attachment every few minutes. Press the PS button to turn it back on and it shuts off randomly again in a few minutes, even on loading screens like with fast travel when I’m not pressing any buttons. The controller was fully charged and it even happened while the USB cable was plugged in (although my console is set to use Bluetooth, not USB for controller communication). I tried resetting the controller using a paper clip but it still happened.

The weird thing is that the problem ONLY happens in Red Dead. It seems to work fine with other games and on the PS home screen menus. I played other games with it for multiple hours with no shutdown issues. The controller is about a year old, battery lasts 4-5 hours and I’ve had no issues with it at all without the attachment on.

SOLDIER

Oct 26, 2017
Local spots have them. You have a GameStop near u? I just picked on up today! And yes it is worth it. It sits right where your fingers already are. Feels like I just got free buttons out of thin air lol
I could try hitting a Gamestop? Are they generally in good supply?

Tried to use the brickseek to get it at my local Walmart. Sure enough, nobody there knew what the thing was and wouldn’t even bother checking the back for me.

Walmart is supremely awful with videogame customer service.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
A little surprised to not see many people here (on this page, at least) substituting the face buttons instead of shoulder/stick click/d-pad. That would be my #1 use for it, taking away the most used face buttons so I can maximize thumb-on-stick time, as well as not having to claw as often.

Also I guess it depends on what game you're playing... My main use for this will be re-running Bloodborne so I no longer need to claw to sprint, for example.

Oni

Oct 25, 2017
You can only map one input to each button right?

Edit: And if that's the case, could I map like 3 buttons using some 3rd party software on PC?

ObbyDent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I gotta be honest, after playing most of Sekiro with the attachment, o don't really like it. It makes running and healing a lot easier, but it does make the controller more uncomfortable and my brain keeps pressing these buttons rather than R2 and L2.

I'm not gonna go so far to return it but I'm not a fan.

LBsquared

Nov 22, 2019
Is there still nowhere online that I can order this to ship?
Target has had them in stock to ship in the US for a couple days. They sold out Tuesday but got them back in on Wednesday.

I gotta be honest, after playing most of Sekiro with the attachment, o don't really like it. It makes running and healing a lot easier, but it does make the controller more uncomfortable and my brain keeps pressing these buttons rather than R2 and L2.

I did go so far as to return mine. It makes the controller really uncomfortable to hold for me. And two configurable buttons aren't nearly enough to make it worth it. Needs 4.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this wasn't sent to stores in Canada yet, went to EB yesterday and they said they never recieved any.
I picked one up at Walmart (in St Catharines, ON) today. It was an internet return so it was marked down to 20 bucks. They only had one other one on the shelf.

I only messed with it for a few minutes but my first impression is that it really changes the ergonomics and the way I have to hold the controller, which might be a deal breaker.

It’s actually made me a bit concerned about the DS5 but hopefully if they’re natively integrated they will be more flush with the handles.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I tried a Target nearby they claimed it wasn't available yet. Assuming they had stock but wasn't aware of the early release date. I didn't push them about it. Gamestop sold out on Tuesday. They had 3. I still have my Amazon preorder so i'm just going to wait at this point. I don't want it enough to go hunting for it when I have a guaranteed one waiting to ship. I like what i'm hearing so far though sounds like it does what it's supposed to at a good price point. I just really wished it let you charge the controller from the bottom with it still attached to use with my charging cradle.

SOLDIER

Oct 26, 2017
Stopped at a Gamestop on the way back from work. They were sold out, and the nearest store that was listed with low stock was too far for me to attempt the drive.

The scarcity just makes me want this stupid thing more. It’s the Nintendo tactic all over again.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I'm having similar trouble. My middle fingers rest on the back buttons, and I end up screwing and pressing them when I want to aim and shoot in a TPS and FPS. I tend to hold the grips tight. I'm not sure what to do yet, I still have test it out with Destiny 2. It might be too late in the PS4 generation to retrain my brain for this. I'm so used to using Circle for crouch too.