• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Reviews are out for the accessory and they seem.... very positive!

Whether the Back Button Attachment is a sign of a PS5 future to come, or just a neat, additional offering from Sony, I'm very glad to have it. Its arrival may be as odd as first trying to plug in the attachment, but after a few days playing with it, it already feels like an integral part of my PlayStation playtime. And if it's here to stay, I'd welcome a world where it's built into the controller.

This attachment won't sink all of the companies selling high-end pro controllers — those products still offer way more flexibility and customization options than simply adding two rear paddles. But for folks looking to dive into the world of back-panel buttons without having to spend more than $100 on an entirely new controller, the DualShock 4 Back Button Attachment does its job admirably well, and at a fraction of the cost.

The DualShock 4 Back Button Attachment is an easy way to add more functionality to your PlayStation controller. The idea is to free up your other fingers by programming common actions to fingers that are normally doing nothing. This is useful for shooters where you may want to keep your thumbs on the analog sticks at all times. Now, you can jump or melee without having to move to the face buttons.

This add-on makes all of that possible, and it does so in a way that I find both comfortable and simple. And that's huge. This isn't going to make your DualShock 4 feel anywhere near as good as an Xbox Elite Series 2, but it is going to give you similar capabilities.

If you're looking at this thing and struggling to think of any games where back button commands might be helpful, then sure, this probably isn't a product for you. But Sony's first attempt to offer fans a cost-effective option for adding back buttons to the DualShock 4 is a big success, and a no-brainer purchase if you've ever shopped for that feature and balked at the third-party prices.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you want paddles, a $30 attachment seems like a no-brainer.

edit: Dammit Mashable, I didn't read your title.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Impressions seem pretty positive

The DualShock 4 Back Button Attachment is an easy way to add more functionality to your PlayStation controller. The idea is to free up your other fingers by programming common actions to fingers that are normally doing nothing. This is useful for shooters where you may want to keep your thumbs on the analog sticks at all times. Now, you can jump or melee without having to move to the face buttons.
https://venturebeat.com/2020/01/14/dualshock-4s-back-button-attachment-is-comfortable-and-capable/

The DualShock 4 Back Button Attachment turns your controller into a customizable gamepad for just $30. It's an excellent choice for competitive multiplayer fans, and being able to experiment on the fly with different configurations means you can find your ideal setup in seconds.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/game-reviews/ps4-dualshock-back-button-attachment-review/

This attachment won't sink all of the companies selling high-end pro controllers — those products still offer way more flexibility and customization options than simply adding two rear paddles. But for folks looking to dive into the world of back-panel buttons without having to spend more than $100 on an entirely new controller, the DualShock 4 Back Button Attachment does its job admirably well, and at a fraction of the cost.
https://www.polygon.com/reviews/202...k-4-back-button-attachment-review-playstation

Still, for $30, Sony's Back Button Attachment, which launches on January 23rd in North America, is a remarkably well-made accessory that should present a good enough alternative to many of the expensive, unreliable, and cumbersome third-party PS4 controller options on the market. If you're just looking to see what all the fuss is about and whether you'll actually see yourself improving using something like this, it's a solid buy. Even for those that might be considering a Scuf controller or even something as pricey as the Astro C40 TR, I would certainly recommend you try this first.
https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/14/...utton-attachment-review-gaming-pro-controller

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
No Meta score? Boo /s

Honestly, I like how flexible this seems. If the PS5 controller is compatabile with this (it probably is) then I'll definitely pick one up though I really do hope for a native solution, some extra buttons would be nice.

The SCUF controllers have Sax buttons on the side, could be interesting to see something like that.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, seems like it'd be a good, cheap investment for people who play shooters and don't want to drop $140+ for something like a SCUF controller.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
why not just add them in the PS5 controller without accessories?

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Is there a real release date yet? Target, BB, GS, and Amazon all have different dates.

I just needed to know they worked comfortably, and it seems like they do. $30 to never press L3 and R3 again is worth it.

Those are the easiest buttons to press and you don't have to take your hands off the sticks to do it.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
Amazon tells me I shouldn't expect it to ship until Feb 19th but it's expected to release on Jan 23rd? We'll see what happens.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Can't help but admire how smart Sony is.
As crossplay becomes more standard with the big multiplayer FPS games, a cheap paddle accessory or inbuilt paddles with the DS5 will keep PlayStation a popular destination for FPS gamers.

Seems much more pragmatic than keeping paddles for an 'elite' controller

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
I was worried it wasn't going to allow you to map L3/R3 like some of the plug-and-play 3rd party offerings, but looks like you can:

0jdodpkl.jpg

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How clicky are they? Do they have a good feel when pressing them?
Very clicky. More clicky than the standard shoulder buttons, which I like.

how durable does it feel? Are we talking six months to a year with no problems or more with average use
It seems fine. I can feel the spring action in the buttons, which worries me. But my hunch is it should last.

Does it let you control the audio volume with the led?

No. OLED is on the back. Wouldn't be great.

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
An hour less battery life? Yuck. But as many reviews have hinted at, if this means the DS5 is going to have this built in, I'm there for it.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't help but admire how smart Sony is.
As crossplay becomes more standard with the big multiplayer FPS games, a cheap paddle accessory or inbuilt paddles with the DS5 will keep PlayStation a popular destination for FPS gamers.

Seems much more pragmatic than keeping paddles for an 'elite' controller

There's a lot more that goes into the elite controller than just paddles. I only use the paddles for a few games but bought an adapter just to be able to use it on PS4 too. This is a great accessory from Sony though, i'll probably pick one up.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Reviews sound good. I pre-ordered one of of these out of curiosity because the price was right.

The reviews mention that adding the screen for configuration on the back of the controller was a good idea: it lets any platform that uses the DS4 to work with the new features. For me that will be the PC and the Switch, so this is a pretty big win.

Also: I have a tendency to wear out DS4 controllers: this feature should help in two ways:

One, less L3 R3 clicking because I can map those buttons to the new paddles.
Two, If I break another controller I can just move the attachment over to the new controller.

why not just add them in the PS5 controller without accessories?

I'm sure it's coming, but this lets me use the new feature now, without waiting for the PS5 launch.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pre-ordered, reviews look good! Now just gotta figure out what I'm actually gonna program to em. Sprint and crouch, I'm thinking.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was worried it wasn't going to allow you to map L3/R3 like some of the plug-and-play 3rd party offerings, but looks like you can:

0jdodpkl.jpg
Glad to see this. Holding L3 to sprint on MW fucked up my last Dualshock. Really happy to see L3 can be reassigned on this attachment. Day one.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
At this point if the dualshock 5 doesn't have something similar to this I'll be disappointed. Or at least an accessory.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I want one. Any chance they could be remapped as additional buttons on Steam? Like say, having the shoulder buttons behave as they normally do and having the paddles be mapped to say something else? Kind of like the Steam Controller?

(Even without this I'm still definitely getting this. Looks amazing.)

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish it was possible to comfortably fit in 4 paddles. Moving all face buttons to paddles comfortably is the entire purpose of back paddles IMO.

Typical shooters have jump, crouch, reload, and swap weapons mapped to buttons which take you out of the maneuverability.

Oct 25, 2017
Will be buying one, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how the fuck GAME got this as an exclusive for the UK.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Also I still much prefer a fight stick but I can see this making regular dualshocks more playable for fighting games.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
You'll never go back to no paddles. For example Gravity Rush 2 is like a different game (so many games are) having full camera control while comfortably using your abilities.
It's reasons like this that make me scratch my head when people say back paddles are not necessary. It adds way too much convenience and opens up games wonderfully.