• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Walmart conveniently just sent me a coupon for $15 off a $30 purchase. Hell yeah I'm buying this for $15.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I just needed to know they worked comfortably, and it seems like they do. $30 to never press L3 and R3 again is worth it.
That's exactly what I'd want it for, I didn't think there would be anyone else thinking about L3/R3 tbh. For me, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome makes anyting with thumbs awkward enough as is. I seem to have little ability to not press down on those sticks and that messes me up in games so often (I even bought new ds4s thinking they were broken/worn, but no, I just don't get a lot of feedback and now naturally press down too hard regardless, lol). If I can't actually disable L3/R3 as well though, I'll have to get someone to physically disable them for me :)

Will be buying one, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how the fuck GAME got this as an exclusive for the UK.
That explains why I've not been able to find them. Game aren't having my money, I'll import.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
You'll never go back to no paddles. For example Gravity Rush 2 is like a different game (so many games are) having full camera control while comfortably using your abilities.
You sir, have caught my eye...I may boot up GR2 because of this comment.

I guess I just figured it would be a few impressions and no big deal. But Sony gonna dell like 5-10 million of these little buttons aren't they? Everyone seems to love them on their controller.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Can't help but admire how smart Sony is.
As crossplay becomes more standard with the big multiplayer FPS games, a cheap paddle accessory or inbuilt paddles with the DS5 will keep PlayStation a popular destination for FPS gamers.

Seems much more pragmatic than keeping paddles for an 'elite' controller
There's ALOT more to an elite controller than the paddles...

preordered two just because when they announced them. Wish they were here earlier, but I can squeeze some use out of them for Apez for the gf and TLOU2. Release dates are still all over the place!

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

NEOorjf.png

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Love that this exists. Really hope it's standard on the PS5. Paddles to replace stick clicks are fantastic.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
I really like my Strikeforce attachments, but them being wired and a few oddities and processes each time you boot up the system, is a little bit of a drag. I will defintly be picking up these offical ones. Cant play without paddles now.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Glad to see this. Holding L3 to sprint on MW fucked up my last Dualshock. Really happy to see L3 can be reassigned on this attachment. Day one.

That sucks but this is not a very effective use of paddles in a shooter. Reload and jump/crouch is the way to go. Paddles are supposed to keep your right thumb on the sticks as much as possible. You're better of mapping L3 to L1 on a system level, or something like that.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see it reviewing well and more importantly glad paddles will most likely be on the DS5.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
This looked awesome from the beginning. I'm not sure why some even tried to be cynical.

It's an optional yet intuitive add on.

I may have to get this for use on PC.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If PS5 has these I hope they'd can be used as L4/R4 and not just remapped to existing buttons.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
You sir, have caught my eye...I may boot up GR2 because of this comment.

I guess I just figured it would be a few impressions and no big deal. But Sony gonna dell like 5-10 million of these little buttons aren't they? Everyone seems to love them on their controller.
It's worth saying that these buttons aren't normally available as an option for devs making these games, so their control configs rarely have optimal mapping. Most games don't allow full remap in the options either, so I generally spend time forcing remap in the OS. This can occasionally cause issues, especially with menu navigation (my remap makes GR2 menus a little weird) but it's worth the tradeoff of full control whilst playing.

Ideally you get to remap in a game (like the recent CONTROL which is awesome with paddles). I mean most people just map face buttons and L3 or whatever, but if you're willing to spend a few minutes s sorting it out, there's way more potential for paddles.

Oct 25, 2017
Are you serious?! When did this happen? I've been waiting for ShopTo to put up a pre-order link since the damn thing was announced.
That's exactly what I'd want it for, I didn't think there would be anyone else thinking about L3/R3 tbh. For me, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome makes anyting with thumbs awkward enough as is. I seem to have little ability to not press down on those sticks and that messes me up in games so often (I even bought new ds4s thinking they were broken/worn, but no, I just don't get a lot of feedback and now naturally press down too hard regardless, lol). If I can't actually disable L3/R3 as well though, I'll have to get someone to physically disable them for me :)

That explains why I've not been able to find them. Game aren't having my money, I'll import.
Yup, I noticed this when it was first announced.

https://www.game.co.uk/en/playstation-4-dualshock-4-back-button-attachment-game-exclusive-2707716

Pretty fucking shit to be honest, its an accessory, not a fucking game.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Really good reviews, guess I am getting one after all.

Edit: Oh ffs, not a Game exclusive 😢

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
The attachment just remaps existing buttons on the controller, so in theory they shouldn't have to.

My bet is that's exactly how it will be. But they'll be remappable for BC games
That's correct. It syncs to the controller, not to the OS, so whatever we map to will be reflected wherever we use the DS4.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
It's worth saying that these buttons aren't normally available as an option for devs making these games, so their control configs rarely have optimal mapping. Most games don't allow full remap in the options either, so I generally spend time forcing remap in the OS. This can occasionally cause issues, especially with menu navigation (my remap makes GR2 menus a little weird) but it's worth the tradeoff of full control whilst playing.

Ideally you get to remap in a game (like the recent CONTROL which is awesome with paddles). I mean most people just map face buttons and L3 or whatever, but if you're willing to spend a few minutes s sorting it out, there's way more potential for paddles.
Yup I'm the type to play DMCV first mission over and over again until a control scheme feels right. Definitely gonna play around with it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am stoked for this, I fucking hate L3 and R3 so you know where they going

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Can't help but admire how smart Sony is.
As crossplay becomes more standard with the big multiplayer FPS games, a cheap paddle accessory or inbuilt paddles with the DS5 will keep PlayStation a popular destination for FPS gamers.

Seems much more pragmatic than keeping paddles for an 'elite' controller
There's much more to the Xbox One Elite controller than just the paddles. The controller has a much higher quality feel to it than the normal Xbox One controller, and also allows you to customize the d-pad, analog sticks, how far the trigger presses (useful for shooters), multiple mapping profiles, and there are also a lot of settings you can tinker with by using the accessories app on an Xbox or PC.

I'm glad this accessory exists, and I'll probably get it, but it doesn't sate my desire for an official Sony-made DualShock Elite controller. It doesn't even come close to scratching that itch.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Glad to hear great reviews for this. Was somewhat worried that the the attachment would be stable enough and provide good feeling buttons, but it sounds like it does what it set out to do. I'm in for one.