• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Initial insertion is kind of tough, but once its in, its really solid.
They did this so there isn't any movement while you click the buttons.
Basically this means I'll need to toss my dualshock 4 charging dock since to use it I'd need to remove the back buttons, which I don't want to do out of fear that it will eventually loosen the connection. And if the add-on moves at all when I click a button, that's a big annoyance for me.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I normally wasn't high on paddles, but using them to replace L3 and R3 has piqued my interest. I hate clicking in the sticks.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Basically this means I'll need to toss my dualshock 4 charging dock since to use it I'd need to remove the back buttons, which I don't want to do out of fear that it will eventually loosen the connection. And if the add-on moves at all when I click a button, that's a big annoyance for me.
The attachment has so much space touching the controller that I doubt it wobbles around the connection.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
There's much more to the Xbox One Elite controller than just the paddles. The controller has a much higher quality feel to it than the normal Xbox One controller, and also allows you to customize the d-pad, analog sticks, how far the trigger presses (useful for shooters), multiple mapping profiles, and there are also a lot of settings you can tinker with by using the accessories app on an Xbox or PC.

I'm glad this accessory exists, and I'll probably get it, but it doesn't sate my desire for an official Sony-made DualShock Elite controller. It doesn't even come close to scratching that itch.

yes, there certainly is a whole lot more price to the elite controllers.
This is affordable, and much more likely to proliferate. Additionally, it will most certainly be standard with the DS5.

it's a masterstroke from Sony.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Reviews are positive?
X4PUJYb.gif

Was thinking about pre-ordering, but I'll probably just grab one from Wal-mart.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Ate we thinking this is likely to help compatibity with PS5 controllers which may have paddles if that leaked design sepc thing is to be believed?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
yes, there certainly is a whole lot more price to the elite controllers.
This is affordable, and much more likely to proliferate. Additionally, it will most certainly be standard with the DS5.

it's a masterstroke from Sony.
If it Sony sells 10 million of these on top of selling a more expensive DS5 then maybe it's a master stoke. But positive impressions are a bit premature to overall grade this accessory. I think it's gonna do well,!l but you never know.

but seriously screw L3/R3! I think I'm gonna Ofer another one.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Hold up. The attachment also works on PC? (Mentioned in the Polygon review, in case you're wondering.)

I guess in hindsight, given what we know about how it works it's not a surprise, but it had honestly not occurred to me that the attachment would work fine on PC. I might have to switch back to using a DS4 by default...

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Hold up. The attachment also works on PC? (Mentioned in the Polygon review, in case you're wondering.)

I guess in hindsight, given what we know about how it works it's not a surprise, but it had honestly not occurred to me that the attachment would work fine on PC. I might have to switch back to using a DS4 by default...
It would have to since PS Now is also on PC.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'll get one of these for Destiny 2 and TLOU multiplayer, might help with crouching, sprinting and jumping. Although maybe I should keep the $30 towards a PS5 and wait.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
I think that DS4's will work with PS5 and this will allow them to match the rumored layout on the new controller.

The Devil

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Definitely a good entry level for paddles for those who don't have a Scuf.

As someone who uses an Elite Series 2 on Xbox, I HAD to get myself a Scuf on PS4. Once you start using paddles and realise how it makes pressing the buttons without taking your thumb off every time so much easier, you just can't go back to not using it.

Really wish Sony would just make their own premium controller with paddles.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
L3/R3 in the sticks are fine.

There. I said it.

I'm also fine with L3/R3. And anyone who talks about 'holding in L3 to sprint' is surely doing it wrong... you just click it once in 99% of games? Only game I can think that requires it to be held is Zombi and it feels horrible.

I use all four paddles on an Elite controller on Xbox, PS4 and PC and none of them are set to L3/R3. All four face buttons. Thumbs never leave the sticks!

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Really glad the reviews are as positive as my initial impressions.

Best controller related thing to come out this gen imo. Cheap but incredibly useful upgrade.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Will buy one eventually.

Beats buying a $200 trash as fuck SCUF controller, or worrying about the next time the $200 elite controller will break.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
There's much more to the Xbox One Elite controller than just the paddles. The controller has a much higher quality feel to it than the normal Xbox One controller, and also allows you to customize the d-pad, analog sticks, how far the trigger presses (useful for shooters), multiple mapping profiles, and there are also a lot of settings you can tinker with by using the accessories app on an Xbox or PC.

I'm glad this accessory exists, and I'll probably get it, but it doesn't sate my desire for an official Sony-made DualShock Elite controller. It doesn't even come close to scratching that itch.

I hope Sony never makes an elite controller. It was a terrible idea from MS to reserve paddles to players willing and able to pay £200 (dare I say anti-consumer based on the recent hyperbole regarding that term lol).

Such a massively pay2win feature like paddles shouldn't be reserved to those paying £200.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Ordered these from Amazon but they won't be in until like the 27th. Really excited to give them a shot, can't wait for paddles to change my life.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn, not out until Valentine's Day in the UK. Want it now the reviews are here, but it's an extra £7 to import from US

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Very clicky. More clicky than the standard shoulder buttons, which I like.

It seems fine. I can feel the spring action in the buttons, which worries me. But my hunch is it should last.

No. OLED is on the back. Wouldn't be great.
Does mapping L3 or R3 disable it on the stick? This would be great for misclicking and accidentally meleeing or something.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Glad Sony is finally dipping their toes into the world of premium controllers. Hopefully they have a good first party one with the PS5.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Glad Sony is finally dipping their toes into the world of premium controllers. Hopefully they have a good first party one with the PS5.
They actually had "pro" controllers before, they partnered with a couple of companies. One even had paddles, but they were wired, and who is playing wired in 2020?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
not sommit i want, but its nice to see they are well received, my friend was asking about them the other day

seems like an easy recommend

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
its clicky like the xbox one controller shoulder buttons or like the ds4 shoulder buttons? because i really dislike the xbox one shoulder buttons

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Is it possible to program a 'back button' to a combination of button presses?

For example Left Back Button = R2 + Square.