• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Also I'm laughing at the IGN reviewer talking about how mapping R1/L1 to Fortnite made him better.

Why tf would you not map jump to the paddle when jump shotting is utterly critical to Fortnite? Why the hell is this guy talking like an authority?

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
Thinking I should have grabbed one of these instead of an Elite 2 for my PC. The DS4 is so much more comfortable to hold.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, I forgot about these. I'll probably pick one up on payday, as I'm actually pretty stoked about this. I love my elite controllers I'd hope so, I have 3 (they're different colors/models, not like... broken ones or something).

Also I'm laughing at the IGN reviewer talking about how mapping R1/L1 to Fortnite made him better.

Why tf would you not map jump to the paddle when jump shotting is utterly critical to Fortnite? Why the hell is this guy talking like an authority?
I mean, I think that's weird yeah, since I tend to like to move other buttons to the R1/RB button like for reload a lot of times, but it's not the first time I've seen someone say something like that.

Tim Rogers from Kotaku said he likes mapping the bumpers to the paddles on the Xbox Elite controllers because he didn't like them in his video review or the Series 2.

If these things let him play closer to his preference, I guess I wouldn't get on his ass for that.

I'm intrigued but I don't know if my reptile brain would be able to adjust to it lol.
It took me a while to get used to four paddles at first, but after playing a few games with them I adjusted pretty quickly. I'm assuming it'll be easier with just two to have to adjust to.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
The accessory costs as much as the DS4 in my country. I'm not looking forward to the DS5 price in my country...

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I'll get it if I see it in store. Gonna remap sprint and jump. Pressing L3 to sprint has destroyed a couple of my controllers.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
That IGN video is terrible. Audio out of sync. Clunky editing. Vlogging style low res zooms. I know they have to push out content fast but geez.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Hold up. The attachment also works on PC? (Mentioned in the Polygon review, in case you're wondering.)

I guess in hindsight, given what we know about how it works it's not a surprise, but it had honestly not occurred to me that the attachment would work fine on PC. I might have to switch back to using a DS4 by default...

From the perspective of any device that recognizes a DS4, there is no difference between a DS4 and a DS4 with the back button attachment.

It's a nice side-effect of putting the UI for the button assignment on the device itself.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Does mapping L3 or R3 disable it on the stick? This would be great for misclicking and accidentally meleeing or something.
No but put something else on the stick. L3/R3 isn't bad for some stuff. A lot of the time I put stuff that's usually stuck on the dpad onto L3/R3 and map sprint or whatever I want to be paddle function to the dpad. That way you're hiding it on the garbage dpad, and never have to take your thumb off the left stick, that allows you to just occasionally you L3/R3 for less important functions. And making dpad the dumping ground for your paddle functions frees up L3/R3 to be way more ergonomic, convenient buttons.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, its ridiculous that reviewers and people in this thread want to use these freely customizable buttons in freely customizable ways. Obviously, Sony did not intend anyone to map L1 or L3 to these pads. People need to stop acting like authorities of their own preference and use only the most efficient and wise customizations.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
After using them on the Steam controller, I'm very very interested in this. Jumping, running and all that are very useful to map to the paddles. Heck, I'm using the Steam controller on Witcher 3 purely because of the paddles.
I can answer questions about it if you have any.
Would this be able to be used with adapters like 8bitdo? Does it go through the controller and send what the controller already does, or does this need some software on the client side? Interested in this because I'd like the paddles on Switch games.

edit: looks like you can from a reply above. I think it might be on my to buy list now!

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
From the perspective of any device that recognizes a DS4, there is no difference between a DS4 and a DS4 with the back button attachment.

It's a nice side-effect of putting the UI for the button assignment on the device itself.

Given that this is almost certainly correct, this is going to be amazing for Daemon X Machina on the Switch.

EDIT: paddles becoming a standard also bodes well for the future of Armored Core and similar titles.

fiel8yzn0liylkezvxz7.jpg

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder how likely it is to get full Steam Input support so you can bind the rear-buttons independently.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Playing DS3 right now and I'm torn between mapping it to d-pad left and right to change weapons while I'm backing away or circle so I can move the camera while I'm running.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Sprint/Jump is usually my go-to when it comes to paddle configs. Excited to see what you all think of it when you try it for the first time.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Being able to change on the fly is nice, but it feels like a stop gab to per game settings

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Those [L3,R3] are the easiest buttons to press and you don't have to take your hands off the sticks to do it.
They also fuck up your stick position when you press them, and for some people they're almost impossible to press, because they require more pressure than the other buttons.

(I have been reliably informed by a UX / Accessibility expert)

Oct 25, 2017
Being able to change on the fly is nice, but it feels like a stop gab to per game settings
Any configuration tool that relies on something outside of the device itself would mean no compatibility with all the non-PS4 devices you can control with a DS4.

It was probably technically feasible for the thing to store more than 3 presets but maybe they thought it would be too unwieldy to cycle through so many. As long as it's quick to configure I think the way they did probably makes the most sense.

Oct 25, 2017
An hour of battery is too much for the DS4, imo. :(

Can't wait for the DS5, though. Hopefully we'll get unofficial drivers for that controller as soon as possible to use them on PC.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I've been a fan of paddle buttons under the game pad from when I first got my Steam Controller five years ago. This seems like a nice lil' upgrade for my DS4.

I wonder though, is is possible that Sony designed the PS5's brain so that both buttons work as L4 and R4 if the new console can detect the unit is attached on a DS4? If so, that would be particularly cool if this is extended to streamed/remote-play PS5 games, or even PS5 games running/ported on PC.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
It's literally not possible.

The attachment doesn't add any buttons, it simply provides a new way to press existing buttons.

Well I suppose it comes down to how the attachment is handled by DirectInput, if it literally just hooks straight into the controller and "hijacks" the other keys yes it's impossible. But if the extra buttons are defined as new buttons and then just remapped to existing buttons, Steam and others drivers should be able to grab them as extras.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Sounds nice with the clicking and interested in picking it up to try out. When it comes to paddle usage (have the elite), it varies between games but mostly use it for sprint and (X/O) which is either jumping,dodging, crouching basically best used for mobility. Holding down L3 isn't comfortable and while there's click sprinting I'm used to holding buttons for sprint as it feels like it gives better control especially since I use shift hold a lot on PC. Dodging in most games pretty much so that you rarely take your thumb off the analog except for healing.
Tim Rogers from Kotaku said he likes mapping the bumpers to the paddles on the Xbox Elite controllers because he didn't like them in his video review or the Series 2.
Personally, I could understand it more with the Elite because switching between the trigger and bumpers is actually more of an annoyance since the controller is more slanted, towards the triggers making bumpers more difficult to press.

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
It looks looks very good and I like the idea of having more buttons on the back of my DS4.
Cool that it has been receiving good reviews.