• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This will be very useful for Apex (throwing grenades) and GTS for manual gear. I'm definitely buying it.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking them up after the impressions but unfortunately they're part of Sony's "make the Germans bleed money" strategy which I notice more and more often recently. €40 compared to other international prices? Fuck off with that, Sony!

Okay what the hell, does anybody have an explanation for this? o.o

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Seems silly this doesn't come with a little battery inside or something! The control has such bad battery life to begin with, so this sucking out juice does not help.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
What was the US release date for this again? I've been playing a lot of Xbox lately because of the paddles on the Elite controller but would gladly go back to PS4 for FPS games with these paddles. I only really use 2 of them frequently anyway.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
If I still played Siege as much as I used to I'd be all over this. Might pick up when it's on sale because I'm sure I'd love having it regardless.

raiod

Oct 26, 2017
I was looking them up after the impressions but unfortunately they're part of Sony's "make the Germans bleed money" strategy which I notice more and more often recently. €40 compared to other international prices? Fuck off with that, Sony!
Wow, i was just about to check them out but this is an instant deal breaker...

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like it will keep break compatibility with my controller charger which is the only downside. Will likely get two of these. One for my PS4 controller and one for the DS4 I use with PC.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well this basically kills it for me, sadly. The DS4 already has incredible bad battery life and i don't even play that much.
I wouldn't take that as a proper indication on it being that bad. IGN gave no indication on if that number was properly tested for. Don't let that dissuade you and wait for someone to properly test for battery life.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
But does it work on pc?

Why wouldn't it? Your PC is just thinking your pressing the mapped button. It's not as complicated as some of you make it out to be.

Looks like it will keep break compatibility with my controller charger which is the only downside. Will likely get two of these. One for my PS4 controller and one for the DS4 I use with PC.

Just pop it off or connect your controller via USB. Think it's probably better to just attach a cable, in order to avoid the connectors to wear out.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't take that as a proper indication on it being that bad. IGN gave no indication on if that number was properly tested for. Don't let that dissuade you and wait for someone to properly test for battery life.
Agree. We don't know the context of battery life in that review. Was it mostly messing with configs, constantly using the screen, etc.

Someone will do a more detailed battery life test.

But does it work on pc?
At least one review said it does and it sounded almost seamless. One said they had some issues at first.

Just hearing it does work on PC, which is why some of us were saying that's why the screen is there, sounds great. Should be very lil compatibility issues with PC.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't it? Your PC is just thinking your pressing the mapped button. It's not as complicated as some of you make it out to be.

Just pop it off or connect your controller via USB. Think it's probably better to just attach a cable, in order to avoid the connectors to wear out.
Agree. We don't know the context of battery life in that review. Was it mostly messing with configs, constantly using the screen, etc.

Someone will do a more detailed battery life test.

At least one review said it does and it sounded almost seamless. One said they had some issues at first.

Just hearing it does work on PC, which is why some of us were saying that's why the screen is there, sounds great. Should be very lil compatibility issues with PC.

Thank you very much, I just brought one for each of my controllers.

Wonder if paddles will ever be allowed in fighters though...

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I still can't think of a use-case for this for myself.

You can't be serious right? What games do you play?

Shooters: reload, jump, melee, switch weapons
RPG's/loot games: loot (this especially, with games where you have to perfectly stand in front of the stuff you want to loot), dodge, parry, sprint
Action adventure games: stay in full control of the camera when platforming
Racing: shift gear up/down

Or in short: every single game with free camera on the right stick, greatly benefits.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
You can't be serious right? What games do you play?

Shooters: reload, jump, melee, switch weapons
RPG's/loot games: loot (this especially, with games where you have to perfectly stand in front of the stuff you want to loot), dodge, parry, sprint
Action adventure games: stay in full control of the camera when platforming
Racing: shift gear up/down

Or in short: every single game with free camera on the right stick, greatly benefits.

I feel perfectly comfortable already doing all of those things already though.

Most games have like 0.5 seconds after pressing a button before pressing the same button does anything. That's when I move the camera.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I feel perfectly comfortable already doing all of those things already though.

Most games have like 0.5 seconds after pressing a button before pressing the same button does anything. That's when I move the camera.

Sure you are, but that doesn't mean it cannot be way better. I mean sure, someone in a wheelchair will eventually also be comfortable moving around. Your freedom of movement and control is severely restricted in a lot of games because of the face buttons. It also just feels wonderful when you can just smoothly adjust the camera until the loot prompt appears. It literally makes games more fun to play. Take a game like The Witcher 3 for example. It's fucking tedious when there's a lot of stuff to loot and you need to keep mashing the X button while also moving Geralt on the right spot while also pointing the camera towards the lootable stuff. Far Cry being another example. Uncharted 4 gets enhanced by the fact that you can climb and jump while being able to fully control the camera. Bloodborne/FROM games and again The Witcher 3, hugely benefit from the fact that you can actually sprint and look around you at the same time. In Bloodborne it's also very cool to be able to run sprint away from a boss while you point the camera at the boss and taking a Blood Vial at the same time. That type of stuff is impossible otherwise. Also The Witcher 3: healing under the D-pad. That means you have to stop moving completely if you want to eat or drink something.

Then there are games that put stuff like the map or a flashlight or weapons switching under the D-pad. That means you stop moving each time. That's just annoying, especially when the said button is needed a lot.

dat boi

Oct 28, 2017
Glad the reviews are positive. But what's up with Amazon delivery? The release dates are all over the place at different sellers. Seems so disorganized.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone try this with FFXIV?

I'm curious what possible applications this could have, especially if it can map keyboard commands or macros.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Glad this is a solid piece of tech.

I plug in my controller after every session so the additional usability outweighs the reduction in battery life.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
No it doesn't. That would be silly.

This thing just "tricks" the controller in thinking you're pressing the original button, while you're not.

For me personally it doesn't work with fighting/melee based games, because using my thumb for that, feels more natural. I use my FPS Strike Pack in The Witcher 3, for example. But only for looting stuff, sprinting and and riding my horse + some addition commands that require pressing square. When Geralt enters battle mode, I just use circle and square on the face-side.
Ah, haha, you're right. I suppose that's too much wishful thinking on my part. Still, it sounds very useful. I just need to find a big enough reason to warrant a purchase.

Really hope the DS5 comes with them by default too, it would be such a game changer and it's pretty exciting to think about.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Ah, haha, you're right. I suppose that's too much wishful thinking on my part. Still, it sounds very useful. I just need to find a big enough reason to warrant a purchase.

Really hope the DS5 comes with them by default too, it would be such a game changer and it's pretty exciting to think about.

What do you mean? I meant to say the face buttons just keep working. So yeah, you have 2 square buttons for example.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone try this with FFXIV?

I'm curious what possible applications this could have, especially if it can map keyboard commands or macros.

I've never played 14 on consoles or a controller, but I could see the paddles being great modifier buttons in an MMO. Not sure if 14 can be mapped appropriately for that or not.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've never played 14 on consoles or a controller, but I could see the paddles being great modifier buttons in an MMO. Not sure if 14 can be mapped appropriately for that or not.

Is there perhaps a mini list or video that shows the different advantages with each game?

I would mainly be interested in this for FFXIV and MHW, both games that would theoretically benefit from extra buttons.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
Excited for this!

I preordered this the moment they went up and recently Amazon updated my release date to 2/19 for some reason. Pretty annoying.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
I want this but I'm going to wait for more battery life info. If that IGN review is accurate, I won't be buying it. My Dualshock's battery is already pretty trash, I don't want something cutting an hour off it.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does this block the port of the bottom of the controller?

I ask because I use this docking station to charge my controllers.

It would be a minor pain if I had to remove the attachment every time I wanted to charge the controller this way.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Does this block the port of the bottom of the controller?

I ask because I use this docking station to charge my controllers.

It would be a minor pain if I had to remove the attachment every time I wanted to charge the controller this way.
It doesn't look like there's a pass through or whatever, and I'd assume the difference in shape would make it not fit in those kinds of chargers anyways.
IR6o8hI.png

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For $30, why not? I would've got it if the reviews were mediocre, didn't expect all this praise

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know if Walmart or Target sell accessories like this in advance of whatever the official release date is? Looking at brickseek these are already starting to pop up in stock at Target. Not any super close to me (I'm in Austin, TX), but within an hours drive or so...

I'm sure they won't sell games early, but do things like new dualshock colors or accessories like this really have true enforced release dates?