• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I'm super tempted to try one of these for Titanfall 2.

It's just that Titanfall 2 is literally the only game I'd use something like this in...and the game coming back was the best Christmas present I've ever received in my life, but I'm starting to realize the playerbase isn't going to stick around forever.

USF

Oct 28, 2017
Received mine from Amazon JP

You do need to adjust how you handle the controller to avoid clicking it unintentionally, but overall the triggers are well made and you can feel the clicks (if that makes sense)

EOqQpavWoAET1BQ.jpg:small

EOqQpi9WoAAkMCx.jpg:small

EOqQpfBW4AcQYgA.jpg:small

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Unless your fingers have a diameter of an inch I don't see how

I found that they give the sensation that they're just compounding out of the curvature of the lower-middle section of the controller. For contrast, I feel that the paddles that come with the Elite controllers on the Xbox side do a good job of going with the curvature of the controller handles rather than the body of the controller, making it feel a lot less straining ergonomically.

This is a good idea from Sony and I encourage them to continue to officially offer ways to access this functionality on any future controllers they make, but this first go at it doesn't feel ergonomically as great as it could be, IMO. I like having paddles and I do find that I perform a bit better in some genres with them, but these ones just made my fingers ache too much because they feel like they add a ton of bulk the way I hold the Dual Shock 4 — and like I said in my previous post, without these attached, the Dual Shock 4 is ergonomically my favorite controller, and it's just not worth giving up that comfort for this functionality right now IMO.

To their credit, this attachment is made of some really good materials and the tactile sensation is fantastic and I'd say superior to the Elite, but it just isn't nearly as comfortable in the hand for me — noticeably worse, in fact.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I might be stupid or something but I found the thing very finicky to attach. I lined up the headphone jack straight in but somehow I just couldn't make it snap in place. After twisting and turning for 5 minutes it just went in and everything is working great.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Hmm wondering should I go and pick it up from Walmart or GameStop and cancel my amazon preorder? They aren't shipping till 29th.

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
I'm amazed at how I went from laughing at this on announcement to intrigue when threads here started having positive reports to then pre-ordering as soon as I was done reading those threads, and now being desperate to receive it in February...and mentally coming up with the button assignments I want for all my games.

Dec 1, 2017
I might be stupid or something but I found the thing very finicky to attach. I lined up the headphone jack straight in but somehow I just couldn't make it snap in place. After twisting and turning for 5 minutes it just went in and everything is working great.

Same. I was genuinely worried that I was going to break it. But it feels solid and comfortable now that it's in.

Zleilndka

Nov 1, 2017
KS
Coming from someone who thought this was gimmicky and wouldn't amount to anything. I actually kind of like it... A lot. Getting it early and cheaper from Walmart was too tempting. Keep in mind I've never used back paddles before in any fashion.

Playing Dark Souls and using the paddles/back buttons for run-dodge and jump felt immediately intuitive. Was surprised at how natural it felt for that game. Definitely worth it for me for certain types of games. I map similar functions for FPS or Third Person Shooter games (jump and reload) and it feels great on those games. Being able to turn the camera and jump/reload without some weird grip definitely feels better on the console side, though mouse and keyboard is still King overall.

Tried it with Tekken 7 and wasn't a huge fan, but I was able to do Kazuya electrics mapping the paddles to directional buttons fairly consistently (similar idea to hitbox), but I'm too used to holding the controller claw style for fighting games. Holding the controller normally in Tekken feels off to me and the extra buttons get in the way IMO. I also use stick on and off.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
It depends on how you normally hold the controller. If like me your fingers rest normally where the attachment goes, you're going to have to completely change how you hold it. I'm finding my hands now hurt after gaming for a little while compared to never hurting before. My hope is that if the DS5 has these paddles that they're placed more ideally.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now sold out online from Target/Gamestop/Walmart.

Sony really underestimated demand here.

I've been checking it on Gamestop.com on and off over the weekend and I never saw it as available to sell online for home delivery. I couldn't even check local stores for it. Very weird. Glad I cancelled my Amazon/Walmart orders and got it from Target.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
I picked up the 2 I preordered from GameStop plus one more. One of them appears to be defective, unfortunately, I'll need to test more. The part that connects to the microphone and expansion jack is not "locked" in position for optimal connection, it was tilted upwards and wouldn't lock back into the "correct" position. It will work for 30 seconds and then the controller shuts off. I will have to test on another controller to make sure it is not the controller itself (I had previously done a small stick replacement mod on it).

Aside from that, it was a small learning curve getting used to the physical presence of the buttons on the back. It is very secure, but I was unsure a little about how to click, or prevent accidental clicks. I kept playing COD MP matches until I got started to begin using it instinctively. I definitely enjoyed having it. Ideally I would want something a little bit slimmer, but as an add-on, it feels pretty good. I'm going to make sure to included on all my controllers and hope we get this as a default feature on Dualshock 5 going forward. It shouldn't have to be an extra add-on.

Also, programming this thing is super easy. The screen makes sense for this, no need to go to the UI to change things while playing a game.

Edit: Tried it on a different controller and it worked fine. Got another Back Button for the previously troubled controller and that worked fine as well. Much more used to using this device after two days.

Last edited:

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I wasn't planning on getting this but the reviews have been great and the price is right, it is basically a taste of the DS5.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Picked one up, I will say using it for anything other that L3/R3 or the Dpad will take some getting used to. Also since it only replicates and does not add a button, I find myself trying to figure what to do with it. Outside of that its a pretty neat attachment.

TriGen

Oct 27, 2017
Just got mine and tried it out — I'm definitely happy. It rests perfectly for my middle fingers to hit the buttons and it feels good. It's really easy to program too. I've love the Xbox Elite controller since it came out and while the textured feel of that controller is great and the hair triggers are nice the paddles are the most useful part to me, so getting a comfortable version of that for cheap is nice. I really do hope the DS5 does have back buttons built-in and if not I'd be happy if this worked with it.

I will add if you're someone that's never used paddles before, I generally find they are most helpful in games that have jump buttons or crouch. COD is the obvious example as you can keep full camera control while jumping or sliding, there's no taking your thumb off the stick, hitting the button, then turning the camera afterward. I no we're talking fractions here but doing it all in one fluid motion really does make a difference. KH3's DLC is almost here and I made a preset of square/circle so I can jump and guard while moving the camera, again I'm big on having jump on one paddle and then whatever else you think is important for the other. Of course the obvious L3/D-Pad stuff is nice too depending on the game.

Last edited:

Darvan

Oct 27, 2017
Nevada
Argh, I went to Walmart Brick-seeker says they have 2-3 in stock I couldn't find it any where I went and asked and clerk answer to me is computer sometimes say we have things in stock and we don't LOL

Tango-Pirate

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Picked one up, I will say using it for anything other that L3/R3 or the Dpad will take some getting used to. Also since it only replicates and does not add a button, I find myself trying to figure what to do with it. Outside of that its a pretty neat attachment.

The most use case for paddles on a controller, and what they were originally designed for, is to have them mapped to jump/mantle and crouch (X/O, A/B) in shooters to give you full maneuverability without having to take your thumbs off the sticks.

Obviously this can translate to other functions in other types of games and is down to the users personal preference but having them mapped to L3/R3 would be the least use case for them.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Picked up mine this morning from WalMart. It's a bit tougher to get on than I thought it would be, but once I got it on, it was fine.

First thing I tried it with was Rocket League and moved the R1/L1 actions to it (scoreboard/reverse look), though that game being fully customizable and not being overloaded with actions limits the need for it. It's at least easy to set-up and make changes, but trying to figure out what, if any, actions should be mapped to it in the games I'm playing is the challenge. I got the cheap Steam controller and have found some use for the paddle buttons on the back in some games, like turn signals in American Truck Sim.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Searching for it on Target has been removed, which I guess is what they do when they're completely out of stock of something. Sony doesn't appear to have stocked these very well. Using the inventory tracker, only half of the 20 or so Targets in my area got any, and the ones that did got 1-3 of them. Now even their online orders are sold out. I'm guessing they got swamped with online orders once people knew they had them and Amazon/BB/GS didn't.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Received mine from Amazon JP

You do need to adjust how you handle the controller to avoid clicking it unintentionally, but overall the triggers are well made and you can feel the clicks (if that makes sense)

EOqQpavWoAET1BQ.jpg:small

EOqQpi9WoAAkMCx.jpg:small

EOqQpfBW4AcQYgA.jpg:small

Is this custom painted or an officially released color? I want it! I have the Alpine Green one but this is nicer.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Is this custom painted or an officially released color? I want it! I have the Alpine Green one but this is nicer.

Not sure if it is exclusive to Gamestop, but I have seen this color version there.

I am really liking this attachment so far. The sheer ease involved with switching out what buttons are mapped is probably my favorite perk compared to other attachments and controllers I've used.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I'm surprised at the number of people surprised at how useful this is lol.

Have you guys never heard of paddles before or something?

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised at the number of people surprised at how useful this is lol.

Have you guys never heard of paddles before or something?

Personally I have used the X1 adapter so I can use my X1 Elite on PS4/Switch. I have the Astro C40. I have the Collective Minds paddle adapter.

The first two options aren't remotely comparable in price. The Collective Minds attachment has its own set of issues, namely how comparitively convoluted it is to switch the button mapping. I think this is getting the attention it deserves for being 1st party and affordable. I also DO think that paddles aren't as mainstream as some of us that use them and love them think they are.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Might pick one up. I'm playing Arkham Knight again and forgot how awkward activating detective mode or the gadget wheel can be.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I've never heard of this until now.

I like the design but I can't imagine the power drain on the already weak DS4 battery.