• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
I've never heard of this until now.

I like the design but I can't imagine the power drain on the already weak DS4 battery.

I used it all day yesterday wondering the same thing. It drained no faster than it normally would have. At least not noticeably. The screen shuts off quite fast after switching profiles/programming button maps, and that would be the largest drain anyway.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
My impressions after a few hours of play. The unit was very finicky to attach but feels solid now that it's on. The button placements feel very natural. It's far easier to hit these two larger buttons then the smaller paddles on the xbox elite controller. There is a nice click to the buttons. The screen is nice and switching button layouts/profiles is easy. My only complaint is that it very slightly obstructs access to the home button. It's not a big deal at all but I figured it was worth mentioning.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
So my local Gamestop has one left in stock that they'll hold for me until I pick it up. I haven't bought anything from them in a while now, lol.

USF

Oct 28, 2017
Is this custom painted or an officially released color? I want it! I have the Alpine Green one but this is nicer.
Damn that color is beautiful !
It is official and came only with WWII bundle

37211836445_cbec4a0b05_b.jpg

MattDoza

Oct 27, 2017
Eastern WA
My impressions after a few hours of play. The unit was very finicky to attach but feels solid now that it's on. The button placements feel very natural. It's far easier to hit these two larger buttons then the smaller paddles on the xbox elite controller. There is a nice click to the buttons. The screen is nice and switching button layouts/profiles is easy. My only complaint is that it very slightly obstructs access to the home button. It's not a big deal at all but I figured it was worth mentioning.
It felt like I was having to force it when I first attached it. But after the initial plugin it seems to be a lot easier.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Haha, hopefully there's a simple solution to fix what I did with my new unit.

I changed one of the three profiles to left <null> right <null> so that I can switch to "dead" buttons when I play a game I don't want mapped. Instead of doing that, it just deleted that profile. It now switches between the other two instead.

How do I get it back? I already tried unplugging it and resetting my PS4. Nothing worked to bring back the third profile.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Searching for it on Target has been removed, which I guess is what they do when they're completely out of stock of something. Sony doesn't appear to have stocked these very well. Using the inventory tracker, only half of the 20 or so Targets in my area got any, and the ones that did got 1-3 of them. Now even their online orders are sold out. I'm guessing they got swamped with online orders once people knew they had them and Amazon/BB/GS didn't.
I was able to do ship to store/home:

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, hopefully there's a simple solution to fix what I did with my new unit.

I changed one of the three profiles to left <null> right <null> so that I can switch to "dead" buttons when I play a game I don't want mapped. Instead of doing that, it just deleted that profile. It now switches between the other two instead.

How do I get it back? I already tried unplugging it and resetting my PS4. Nothing worked to bring back the third profile.

You can do two things:
1. Toggle between profiles while you're in programming mode. This way you can select the profile you set to double <null> and reprogram it.
2. Factory reset the attachment by pressing down & holding both back buttons and the center button simultaneously for about 5 seconds or so.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I'm probably wrong, but I just can't get it out of my head that the PS5 will have something like this as standard and this is a way of being able to convert a PS4 controller to work on PS5...

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
I'm probably wrong, but I just can't get it out of my head that the PS5 will have something like this as standard and this is a way of being able to convert a PS4 controller to work on PS5...

Yeah, it seems to make sense as a way to get it out there and have PS5 controller be a halfway house between zero paddles and the full complement of four you get on Xbox Elite.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
I pre-ordered on Amazon on Jan. 1st but still have no shipping date. I may just try to go out and buy one today and cancel my Amazon order.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
This thing is sold out everywhere. My Target preorder got cancelled so I don't have it. I hope Best Buy doesn't cancel the preorder I have with them.

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
I pre ordered from BBY on 12/18/19. I see this on my order now: Pickup available on Release Date: Tue, February 4.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Preordered when they went up and Amazon is saying delivery next Wednesday. Hopefully that sticks.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if anyone's asked this or not, but do they fit on both the original and newer DS4s?

May 9, 2018
Got mine. Happy with it, although I understand the complaints behind the clickiness. It requires a bit of getting used to.

You can now order directly from Sony.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
Playing Kingdom Hearts III ReMind and mapping the back buttons to up and down is a literal game changer.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Might be worth it then. Was playing apex today and accidentally pushed in R3 which was melee instead of shoot someone. Has happened countless times to me.

Only problem there is that it doesn't unmap actual R3. So if you are prone to press too hard on L3 or R3 (like I am sometimes) you'll still do it with the attachment =(

Last edited:

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
You can do two things:
1. Toggle between profiles while you're in programming mode. This way you can select the profile you set to double <null> and reprogram it.
2. Factory reset the attachment by pressing down & holding both back buttons and the center button simultaneously for about 5 seconds or so.
The first method didn't work, but the second one worked fine. Thank you. From now on, instead of double null, I'll go with left null and right R3 on one profile. This is to keep it from actually triggering something (like on the PS4 UI screen) when I don't need an active profile up.

Last edited:

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Might be worth it then. Was playing apex today and accidentally pushed in R3 which was melee instead of shoot someone. Has happened countless times to me.

And this solves what exactly? This thing doesn't magically turn off buttons, so if you hit L3 again, you will just perform another melee attack.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
I need to go to my local walmart and see if i can nab one

I got a amazon preorder for plan b

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Has anyone else played Red Dead 2 with the attachment? I'm having an issue where the controller shuts off frequently at random with the attachment every few minutes. Press the PS button to turn it back on and it shuts off randomly again in a few minutes, even on loading screens like with fast travel when I'm not pressing any buttons. The controller was fully charged and it even happened while the USB cable was plugged in (although my console is set to use Bluetooth, not USB for controller communication).

The weird thing is that it seems to work fine with other games and on the PS home screen menus. I played other games with it for multiple hours with no shutdown issues.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Picked up mine this morning from WalMart. It's a bit tougher to get on than I thought it would be, but once I got it on, it was fine.

First thing I tried it with was Rocket League and moved the R1/L1 actions to it (scoreboard/reverse look), though that game being fully customizable and not being overloaded with actions limits the need for it. It's at least easy to set-up and make changes, but trying to figure out what, if any, actions should be mapped to it in the games I'm playing is the challenge. I got the cheap Steam controller and have found some use for the paddle buttons on the back in some games, like turn signals in American Truck Sim.

I would do jump and boost for rocket league but that's just me.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Has anyone else played Red Dead 2 with the attachment? I'm having an issue where the controller shuts off frequently at random with the attachment every few minutes. Press the PS button to turn it back on and it shuts off randomly again in a few minutes, even on loading screens like with fast travel when I'm not pressing any buttons. The controller was fully charged and it even happened while the USB cable was plugged in (although my console is set to use Bluetooth, not USB for controller communication). I tried resetting the controller using a paper clip but it still happened.

The weird thing is that the problem ONLY happens in Red Dead. It seems to work fine with other games and on the PS home screen menus. I played other games with it for multiple hours with no shutdown issues. The controller is about a year old, battery lasts 4-5 hours and I've had no issues with it at all without the attachment on.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Local spots have them. You have a GameStop near u? I just picked on up today! And yes it is worth it. It sits right where your fingers already are. Feels like I just got free buttons out of thin air lol

I could try hitting a Gamestop? Are they generally in good supply?

Tried to use the brickseek to get it at my local Walmart. Sure enough, nobody there knew what the thing was and wouldn't even bother checking the back for me.

Walmart is supremely awful with videogame customer service.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
A little surprised to not see many people here (on this page, at least) substituting the face buttons instead of shoulder/stick click/d-pad. That would be my #1 use for it, taking away the most used face buttons so I can maximize thumb-on-stick time, as well as not having to claw as often.

Also I guess it depends on what game you're playing... My main use for this will be re-running Bloodborne so I no longer need to claw to sprint, for example.

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can only map one input to each button right?

Edit: And if that's the case, could I map like 3 buttons using some 3rd party software on PC?

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I gotta be honest, after playing most of Sekiro with the attachment, o don't really like it. It makes running and healing a lot easier, but it does make the controller more uncomfortable and my brain keeps pressing these buttons rather than R2 and L2.

I'm not gonna go so far to return it but I'm not a fan.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Is there still nowhere online that I can order this to ship?
Target has had them in stock to ship in the US for a couple days. They sold out Tuesday but got them back in on Wednesday.

I gotta be honest, after playing most of Sekiro with the attachment, o don't really like it. It makes running and healing a lot easier, but it does make the controller more uncomfortable and my brain keeps pressing these buttons rather than R2 and L2.

I'm not gonna go so far to return it but I'm not a fan.

I did go so far as to return mine. It makes the controller really uncomfortable to hold for me. And two configurable buttons aren't nearly enough to make it worth it. Needs 4.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this wasn't sent to stores in Canada yet, went to EB yesterday and they said they never recieved any.
I picked one up at Walmart (in St Catharines, ON) today. It was an internet return so it was marked down to 20 bucks. They only had one other one on the shelf.

I only messed with it for a few minutes but my first impression is that it really changes the ergonomics and the way I have to hold the controller, which might be a deal breaker.

It's actually made me a bit concerned about the DS5 but hopefully if they're natively integrated they will be more flush with the handles.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I tried a Target nearby they claimed it wasn't available yet. Assuming they had stock but wasn't aware of the early release date. I didn't push them about it. Gamestop sold out on Tuesday. They had 3. I still have my Amazon preorder so i'm just going to wait at this point. I don't want it enough to go hunting for it when I have a guaranteed one waiting to ship. I like what i'm hearing so far though sounds like it does what it's supposed to at a good price point. I just really wished it let you charge the controller from the bottom with it still attached to use with my charging cradle.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Stopped at a Gamestop on the way back from work. They were sold out, and the nearest store that was listed with low stock was too far for me to attempt the drive.

The scarcity just makes me want this stupid thing more. It's the Nintendo tactic all over again.