• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Got one delivered from Amazon on Saturday. I haven't had a lot of time with it, but it seems solid and useful. I need to get my brain used to the change and figure out the best use for a few different games.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see myself getting one in the near future, but scalpers are already at it:

iXxkncA.png

Scummy scalpers, I hope Sony releases a real shipment and real distribution on this and they have to sit on those units forever.

Oct 25, 2017
Got this over the weekend. I'm using it while playing Sekiro, and I assigned the right back button to circle for sprinting and still having control of the camera. My brain is adjusting slowly to the new input.

However, my biggest gripe about this product is that the back buttons only work when the inputs have been assigned to something else. Like there's no way to disable the original input or assign something else there. You don't actually get more inputs to use, and it's really just a way to keep your thumbs on the sticks and nothing more. I mean I knew that going in, but it feels worse now that I'm actually using the product.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I like it so far, but my brain is definitely not wired for it yet. I can see the value though once you get used to it.

Same, really hard to re-learn how to play videogames :D Had the same when i transitioned from the pad to an arcade stick for fighting games.

Also i can´t seem to press L3 anymore to run in COD without pressing the back button, can´t find any solid footing to hold the pad in place with this so have to use the leftside button for L3 now. It´s more comfortable than clicking the stick for sure though.

Any heavy Rainbow Six Siege players tried this out yet?

Semi-casual, works great in Siege by binding L3 and R3 to the buttons to enable quick leaning without compromising the right stick movement while aiming.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Same, really hard to re-learn how to play videogames :D Had the same when i transitioned from the pad to an arcade stick for fighting games.

Also i can´t seem to press L3 anymore to run in COD without pressing the back button, can´t find any solid footing to hold the pad in place with this so have to use the leftside button for L3 now. It´s more comfortable than clicking the stick for sure though.

Semi-casual, works great in Siege by binding L3 and R3 to the buttons to enable quick leaning without compromising the right stick movement while aiming.
It's been hard for me adapting to using it in Horizon as it's a game I've already put a lot of time in. I think I might have an easier time using it for a game I'm just starting out on.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
I asked this in the other DualShock thread, but this one appears to be more active. Anyone get an adapter for all controllers they own or did you just buy one and swap out when needed?

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I just bought one and will probably just swap it out to another if I ever need to.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I asked this in the other DualShock thread, but this one appears to be more active. Anyone get an adapter for all controllers they own or did you just buy one and swap out when needed?

I just bought one. The only time I need two controllers is for couch co-op and I don't "need" the back buttons for that.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought one and will probably just swap it out to another if I ever need to.
I just bought one. The only time I need two controllers is for couch co-op and I don't "need" the back buttons for that.

Yeah, I bought two because I have two controllers and use them both. Once the battery is depleted, I plug it in to be charged and grab the other one off the charger. I'm trying to decide if I actually need two. Removing them and attaching them is a bit cumbersome and I'm worried if fitment will be affected if I am continuously removing and reattaching them. I'm just lazy of course too, haha.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was really looking forward to this, but after trying to get used to it this weekend, I just can't. I must hold the DS4 strange, as I can't hold the controller as I normally do with the attachment plugged in without accidentally pressing the buttons. It also acted weird with my Astro MixAmp - it made party audio sound crappy despite the fact that the MixAmp is plugged into the PS4 via usb and not through the 3.5mm pass through. Admittedly I did not try to troubleshoot this too much as I just couldn't deal with the uncomfortable way I was holding the controller.

The actual device quality though is great. Buttons have a great feel and the screen makes it a breeze to remap.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
How is the LED screen bit in terms of comfort? Does it get in the way?

I just seems huge for some reason, I wonder why it couldn't be made smaller.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Luckily just found one available at a nearby Walmart for store pick up. Went ahead and ordered and will hopefully pick up after work. Excited to give it a try

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
One of the reviews mentioned something about being able to better move around the camera while swinging through the city in Spiderman. I am really intrigued by that.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
One of the reviews mentioned something about being able to better move around the camera while swinging through the city in Spiderman. I am really intrigued by that.

If you map a paddle to the X button (left paddle by default) then you can perform the jump boost and point launch without taking your right thumb off of the camera button.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
If you map a paddle to the X button (left paddle by default) then you can perform the jump boost and point launch without taking your right thumb off of the camera button.

Oh! I have had the game since last year in backlog. Thanks to this information, it sounds like I ought to start the game with the attachment. And here I thought I could start Divinity OS....

Thank you, kindly btw.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Played a bit of modern warfare with this. Definitely going to take a bit of getting used too. My hand doesn't rest the same way anymore.
also- putting this thing on is so awkward. Felt like I was breaking it. It's on now and works so I guess it's all good

AdamT

Oct 27, 2017
Providence, Rhode Island
Modern Warfare: Crouch on left, Switch weapon on right. It's nice to not have to move my finger from the right stick as much.
Trails of Cold Steel: Turbo mode toggle on left, Option to skip cutscenes on right. Very convenient not having to reach over to the options button after every action in battle.

The versatility on this thing is great. My only issue is finding the right position to hold it in Modern Warfare. I have big hands/long fingers, so I find myself grasping the side of the controller unnaturally, which causes my hand to cramp. May take some time to adjust.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Been using this on PC and I love it. I hope Steam or some hobbyist finds a way to map extra inputs onto them instead of mirroring the face buttons.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
These are amazing for Gran Turismo / racing games. I'm in love.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I use an xbox elite a LOT, so I am used to hitting the extra buttons. With that in mind, I bought one to use with Destiny 2, and just found it slippy and uncomfortable (bear in mind, I already find the ds4 controller small and uncomfortable for my hands)

Before I give it over to a friend, I am going to try putting something tacky on the buttons to see if that changes the feel enough, but for me it's a miss.

Oh the other reason is, why the hell is there no integration in the OS? I want to assign a button to a trigger/button and NOT have the trigger still do an action.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm considering getting one, though I don't play multiplayer games. It would be for comfort (I like using the back buttons on my Switch controller) and to make the controller more weighty.

Retaio price is fine but what the hell is going on with those resale prices ? Device is still at 30€ on French websites, it comes out on the 14th here. I wanted to buy one in a shop but now I'm wondering if they'll be sold out on release. It doesn't seem likely though, unless retailers receive very few of them.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It took me a while to get used to it (I kept squeezing the wrong trigger/back button for a while), but now that I'm used to it it's super freeing. Playing Borderlands 3 and looking around while I'm jumping and reloading is a real treat.

I'm even more excited for Doom Eternal now.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I use an xbox elite a LOT, so I am used to hitting the extra buttons. With that in mind, I bought one to use with Destiny 2, and just found it slippy and uncomfortable (bear in mind, I already find the ds4 controller small and uncomfortable for my hands)

Before I give it over to a friend, I am going to try putting something tacky on the buttons to see if that changes the feel enough, but for me it's a miss.

Oh the other reason is, why the hell is there no integration in the OS? I want to assign a button to a trigger/button and NOT have the trigger still do an action.

I found it a little uncomfortable as well. It's just not as good as the Xbox controller at the end of the day. Hopefully the DS5 is a little better designed or they just let us use any USB controller on any system.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
been using it for a few weeks now (beat Death Stranding, Modern Warfare and The Order 1886 with it). Some days I love it, some days I think it legit messes with the core DualShock4 ergonomics too much and becomes a chore to use. Yeah, it definitely doesn't hold a candle to a Elite V2, which my teenager uses.

Yeah, I don't know, think I'm gonna take it off for a little while to see how I feel about it

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I absolutely love the paddles on the Elite but I'm not a huge fan of these so far. The Elite's are very low profile so it doesn't really change anything about where my fingers sit; these bump out just far enough that it feels like I have to slightly adjust my overall grip on the controller to have my fingers rest on them.

I could definitely see a DS5 with built-in paddles being a bit more comfortable.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely love the paddles on the Elite but I'm not a huge fan of these so far. The Elite's are very low profile so it doesn't really change anything about where my fingers sit; these bump out just far enough that it feels like I have to slightly adjust my overall grip on the controller to have my fingers rest on them.

I could definitely see a DS5 with built-in paddles being a bit more comfortable.

Yeah I've observed going from R1 and R2 is now fairly... unnatural/uncomfortable due to how your hands have to grip the controller.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
man i felt like i was going to break it putting it on, but it fits nice and is comfortable

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
I just got this today from my local Best Buy. Does anyone have any profiles to recommend for Souls games?

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
For Elite controller users who love using the paddles, how well does this translate? I feel like this should make games like Bloodbourne and Nioh much more enjoyable to play.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I just got this today from my local Best Buy. Does anyone have any profiles to recommend for Souls games?
When playing a Dark Souls game with my Elite controller on Xbox One or PC, I generally really like having a paddle set to for [Circle] to run and a paddle for [L3] to jump and I think it makes tricky parts that involve jumping much easier and allows you to sprint around a boss using a backbutton while still being able to keep the camera on them. (probably made easier for me though, since I assign them to my usual "jump" and "sprint" paddles).

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For Elite controller users who love using the paddles, how well does this translate? I feel like this should make games like Bloodbourne and Nioh much more enjoyable to play.

It's better than no paddles, but it's pretty rough compared to the Elite 2. But also it's significantly cheaper.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So, update: After one week of playing with it I'm completely used to the new way I have to hold the controller and I'm finding it to be super-valuable. No more loss of camera control when performing actions mapped to the paddles.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I'm really liking it so far. My only (small) gripe is that you can't remap both buttons to nothing. I wanted to make a functionless profile that I could switch to for games where I wouldn't really want back buttons, but mapping both buttons as null just makes that profile disappear. :(
I had the same problem. My solution was to map L3 to one paddle, and null to the other. Now it doesn't randomly click an important button when I set the controller down. I just switch to another profile when I actually need it.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I finally found one at Target this morning. Last one left. You guys weren't joking about how odd it is to attach to the controller. I was sure it was going to break and then it just sucked to the controller.

It's so strange having additional buttons to consider. When I was just messing around with it, not playing anything, I felt like I should be clicking the paddles with my middle fingers. This was really jarring because I usually play with my middle fingers resting on L2 & R2. But when I started actually playing a game my ring fingers naturally reached for the paddles.

I'm already thinking of some configurations like cover and environmental interaction in GTAV. Ducking or sliding in FPSs that support it would work well. I added item use to one paddle and dashing to another in Code Vein and it saved a lot of wasted time in combat.

Really happy with it.

Oct 27, 2017
Now that it's been a couple weeks it's starting to feel like a really natural extension of the controller. My brain is already making the subconscious connection that my left middle finger is now the "jump" button in Apex.

Speaking of Apex, I switched the right button to up on the d-pad, and being able to freely change my healing items (or heal) and move is a big deal. I used to switch over to a temporary claw to do this and now it feels much more natural.

There is a negative: a d-pad heavy game like Hollow Knight is causing my hand to cramp up. There must be a subtle difference in hand placement that's applying pressure in a way it shouldn't, but I believe over time I'll figure out how to remedy this.

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
I would have loved one, but i see a MAJOR negative/downside.
And that is the fact this attachment covers up the charge port next to the 3.5mm jack.
The very same charge port the OFFICIAL Sony dual charging station uses....
sony-dual-shock-4-charging-station-playstation-4_1384298663.jpg

Jun 22, 2019
I would love to try these out with DMC5 where all of Nero's hold moves make me weep, but I can't justify sinking $30 to do it. If they ever go half price though, I'm there.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I would have loved one, but i see a MAJOR negative/downside.
And that is the fact this attachment covers up the charge port next to the 3.5mm jack.
The very same charge port the OFFICIAL Sony dual charging station uses....
sony-dual-shock-4-charging-station-playstation-4_1384298663.jpg

That's a negative alright. There will be way, way more of these in the wild then the charging station in a few weeks though.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Got mine today finally. So far it's a lot better than I expected.

Small, light, and I haven't had any instances of accidentally pressing them. There's just enough resistance to prevent that but not too much to make you struggle to press them.

It's a bummer it covers the EXT port so I can't use my DS4 charger with it but at least it's easy to remove and put back on.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh another negative is that I can't use my mute/volume Adjust R attachment anymore. While it would theoretically work with the 3.5 mm jack, the Adjust R attachment is molded to fit onto the bottom of a bare DS4. So I'm forced to unplug my cheap wired headset to "mute" or navigate menus to adjust volume.