• It's the most wonderful time of the year! Make your list and check it twice. The ResetEra Games of the Year 2019 Voting Thread is now live. Voting will be open for the next 3 days, 11 hours, 26 minutes, 53 seconds, and will close on Jan 26, 2020 at 9:00 AM.

DualShock 4 Prototypes from the Astro Bot GDC 2019 Presentation

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One company that definitely needs a million prototypes, is Sony.

How the fuck those DS3 triggers ever made it out of a corporation of this size I'll never know. An absolute embarrassment.

Saying that, the PS4 Pro is a fucking joke as well, both in design and noise issues.

Microsoft has been absolutely schooling Sony with hardware design as of late. Get your shit together for the PS5 Sony. And yes, I do quite like the DS4, minus cheap build quality. I don't need the analogue sticks moved either. Just don't do a DS3 Sony.

Internal power supplies are also appreciated too, but make the console bigger if you're going to do it and can't get noise/heat levels to an acceptable level. I don't play my PS4 Pro to play "Real life airport simulator".

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Third on the most left column from the top would have made me so mad if it happened.

Last edited:

Sulik2

Oct 27, 2017
Not a single offset stick prototype? ;_; That one at the top with the big touchpad looks like a Switch.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
That middle furthest left one is interesting, basically swapping the positions of the sticks and D-Pad+Face buttons.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Looks like they definitely picked the best one.

Also, why are people complaining about battery? Even my OG controller would get 3 hours or more. How long are y’all gaming?

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Oh I like the one in the center!
I don’t like the big round handles of the ds4.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe they never considered asymmetrical sticks, but they did consider the awful Wii U stick layout.

Also, why are people complaining about battery? Even my OG controller would get 3 hours or more. How long are y’all gaming?
My Wii U and Xbox controller both last around 20 hours or so, if not more so that's not really anything to brag about.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Also glad they picked the right one to go with this generation.

Additionally I've never had battery issues either for prolonged periods of play...but then I re-charge, as one would, when not using it.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017

3 hours is really short in comparison to other controllers. My DS4's last longer than three hours but I still have to recharge them 3-4 times more often than my other controllers. And I don't like USB cables hanging out of my consoles all the time. Just use decent batteries like other manufacturers do.

FrankTheBunny

Oct 27, 2017

How the fuck those DS3 triggers ever made it out of a corporation of this size I'll never know. An absolute embarrassment.

Saying that, the PS4 Pro is a fucking joke as well, both in design and noise issues.

Microsoft has been absolutely schooling Sony with hardware design as of late. Get your shit together for the PS5 Sony. And yes, I do quite like the DS4, minus cheap build quality. I don't need the analogue sticks moved either. Just don't do a DS3 Sony.

Internal power supplies are also appreciated too, but make the console bigger if you're going to do it and can't get noise/heat levels to an acceptable level. I don't play my PS4 Pro to play "Real life airport simulator".
You sound a bit angry.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I always love seeing prototypes.

... Except that time Nintendo showed the Wii U one, which was just depressing.

Riderz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I'm anxious, because arrogant Sony might be on the horizon given the domination of this generation. These things tend to happen in cycles.

Our boy Cerny has to keep a lead on any Kutaragi craziness that might influence the PS5.
What are you talking about? Kutaragi hasn't been a part of Sony for like 10+ yrs. PS4 was all Cerny, as I'm sure PS5 will be.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about? Kutaragi hasn't been a part of Sony for like 10+ yrs. PS4 was all Cerny, as I'm sure PS5 will be.
I'm having some fun with Sony's crazy legacy, a lot that we now know was because of Kutaragi terrorizing even Shu. Considering we came from GAF, there was plenty of jokes and gifs about Cerny, Kutaragi and everyone else.

Sony also has that history of coming off of the most successful console ever, the PS2, and going batshit insane with the PS3.

I don't think it's a bad thing to hope they keep it sane and sensible coming off of the PS4. The DS3 was terrible, and initially, the DS4 had crumbling sticks.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017

My Switch pro controller lasts like dozens of hours or something insane. I don’t even know because I only have to charge every few weeks vs like every day or two on dual shock 4.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having some fun with Sony's crazy legacy, a lot that we now know was because of Kutaragi terrorizing even Shu. Considering we came from GAF, there was plenty of jokes and gifs about Cerny, Kutaragi and everyone else.

Sony also has that history of coming off of the most successful console ever, the PS2, and going batshit insane with the PS3.

I don't think it's a bad thing to hope they keep it sane and sensible coming off of the PS4. The DS3 was terrible, and initially, the DS4 had crumbling sticks.
Sony are fully aware of what happened with the PS3. Shawn Layden spoke about it this year at DICE when he gave the keynote

During his keynote, Layden, who's been involved with the PlayStation business since the brand's inception, unexpectedly spent time talking candidly about the PlayStation 3 – a console that would serve as a low point in the PlayStation business, following the massive success of PS2.

"[PS3 was a] stark moment of hubris…our Icarus moment," he said. "…For our business, the fall was sharp."

Layden admitted that Sony didn't listen to developers or to players closely enough. A high price point and a punishing developer environment were major factors in taking PlayStation down a few notches.
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/336473/Layden_recalls_PS3_Icarus_moment_looks_ahead_to_expanding_PlayStations_audience.php

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
Pacifica, CA
Not a single offset stick prototype? ;_; That one at the top with the big touchpad looks like a Switch.
Yeah, that struck me as odd, too. While I do think Nintendo was onto something with the Wii U analog stick placement, I don't think it's as well-suited to as many games as the Xbox layout. The Wii U layout is probably best for games with an emphasis on character movement and camera control (such as first- and third-person shooters), while the DualShock layout is probably best for games that benefit from d-pad control for character movement (such as 2D platformers and fighting games). The Xbox layout is probably the best layout for the majority of modern games, but I don't really care much for it when using the d-pad a lot.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

Well they arent triggers, so maybe that's why they were bad triggers. L1 and R1 on the DS3 were fantastic with great travel and response, and I miss them in shooters. Digital buttons work better specifically for shooting imo. L2 and R2 werent meant for shooting, which is why no game used them as triggers

I wont even bother with the rest

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
3 hours is really short in comparison to other controllers. My DS4's last longer than three hours but I still have to recharge them 3-4 times more often than my other controllers. And I don't like USB cables hanging out of my consoles all the time. Just use decent batteries like other manufacturers do.
I get 1-2 hours of game time a week. And the controller I bought last year still lasts for about 5-6 hours. So I usually charge just once a month.

SG-17

Oct 25, 2017
Bottom left is the devkit prototype that leaked back in Feb 2013.

Also, Sony will never consider asymmetrical sticks because a) they know symmetrical is better and b) symmetrical is part of their brand.

Oct 27, 2017

We could say the same freaking thing about the original Xbox One. How it passed their design standards I don't know.

The OG PS4 was more powerful while being much smaller WITH internal power supply and an actual great design.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

Owning all 3 "big 3's" systems means you would understand the conplaint. I don't worry about Nintendo or Microsoft's controllers sometimes for weeks at a time. If I forget to plug in my DS4 for a day or 2 it might piss me off with a low battery. (My playing position with my PS4 isn't close to the system, so that means running a 10'+ USB cable just to use the system or just doing something else)

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony are fully aware of what happened with the PS3. Shawn Layden spoke about it this year at DICE when he gave the keynote

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/336473/Layden_recalls_PS3_Icarus_moment_looks_ahead_to_expanding_PlayStations_audience.php
Again, I know, I was having some fun.

Well they arent triggers, so maybe that's why they were bad triggers. L1 and R1 on the DS3 were fantastic with great travel and response, and I miss them in shooters. Digital buttons work better specifically for shooting imo. L2 and R2 werent meant for shooting, which is why no game used them as triggers

I wont even bother with the rest
We could say the same freaking thing about the original Xbox One. How it passed their design standards I don't know.

The OG PS4 was more powerful while being much smaller WITH internal power supply and an actual great design.
I was just having some fun guys, there is no deep console warring here... seeing as it's coming from a PS4 exclusive console home. I do have an original Xbox One, but it's not even plugged in right now.

The Xbox One X design, to look at, is far nicer than the silly burger PS4 Pro with the worst power on/eject buttons I've ever seen and a stupid ass LED. Not to mention it is not as noisy. Something I cannot stand about the Pro. If Sony won't make the PS5 bigger, then, sorry, external power supply please, even although I hate them.

There was still issues with the DS4 as well, the crumbling analogue sticks was a design flaw.

Take a deep breath, it's okay to poke some fun at Sony, especially in the run up to the PS5 announcement. They need to get it right, and hey, maybe they will! I believe in them.

Oct 25, 2017
Again, I know, I was having some fun.

I was just having some fun guys, there is no deep console warring here... seeing as it's coming from a PS4 exclusive console home. I do have an original Xbox One, but it's not even plugged in right now.

The Xbox One X design, to look at, is far nicer than the silly burger PS4 Pro with the worst power on/eject buttons I've ever seen and a stupid ass LED. Not to mention it is not as noisy. Something I cannot stand about the Pro. If Sony won't make the PS5 bigger, then, sorry, external power supply please, even although I hate them.

There was still issues with the DS4 as well, the crumbling analogue sticks was a design flaw.

Take a deep breath, it's okay to poke some fun at Sony, especially in the run up to the PS5 announcement. They need to get it right, and hey, maybe they will! I believe in them.
Tbh the problem is none of it was funny and you sound like you were just rambling off-topic nonsense. At least have a joke somewhere.

OT: Astro bot is one of those games I really wanna play, only seen like 5 min of gameplay but I heard so many positives things about it. I definitely pick it up next gen if I decide to hop back into console gaming....can it be played with the move controllers too or is it just the DS4?

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My joy cons last 20 and pro controller 40 on switch.

It sucks in long coop sessions when the ds4 suddenly shutsdown and ya need to wire charge it oops.