• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

This may have gotten lost in the mega thread but deserve its own thread. Also 4K is available on the Series S. Performance is great.

With more and more people getting 4K TVs this is a great addition.

ERA Xbox Series Console Megathread

www.resetera.com

The $299 XBOX Series S is an Emulation Beast | MVG Microsoft

Interesting stuff! Never knew about Developer Mode. Discord Link to get your Xbox whitelisted and bypass Developer Mode. Join the discord: https://discord.gg/SpChKGQE Go to the "Retail Start Here" channel. It has step by step instructions and also has videos to show how.

Last edited:

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
I've been meaning to mess around with emulation on my series console. Might have to give t his a try tonight

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
MVG also said this is the best PS1 emulation he's experienced anywhere and the guy has been part of the scene for a while.

The over clocking options are amazing.

mpak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 5, 2021
User Banned (3 Days): Requesting Piracy Related Materials
It would be so nice if you could do that without dev mods. But alas won't happen.

Is there some centralized repository for all the game images for various systems? Maybe I would purchase Series X with the Starfield release (if there is Todd Howard bundle), so then I could convert Series S into the emulator box.

y0shizawa

May 3, 2021
Apologies if this is covered in the video, I can't watch right now --
Is just any Series S off the shelf right now usable for this? I seem to remember the earlier emulation usage for it got patched so had to be kept on an earlier firmware?

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Apologies if this is covered in the video, I can't watch right now --
Is just any Series S off the shelf right now usable for this? I seem to remember the earlier emulation usage for it got patched so had to be kept on an earlier firmware?
Any. This works via developer mode.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
It would be so nice if you could do that without dev mods. But alas won't happen.

Is there some centralized repository for all the game images for various systems? Maybe I would purchase Series X with the Starfield release (if there is Todd Howard bundle), so then I could convert Series S into the emulator box.

You don't need dev mode for retroarch at least.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Uhmm, I will try it, both on PC and my Series S. I love my Ryzen 3 3200G API but the S is more powerful 😅

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
What's the news, the core has been available for more than a year on Retroarch.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

I have Retroarch, PPSSPP and Duckstation all working on Retail.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Bought a Series S after watching MVG's original S emulation video. I'm still waiting for better performance and tweaking before I set up that side of things, but I'm loving what I'm seeing so far.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
If it wasn't for th hassle of booting into different console mode I would have already tried this on my Series X.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
I found series X/S Dev mode for emulation is a bit slow and not user friendly as emulators running on a regular CFW.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Theres a huge Series console mega thread. People have been doing it there.

How so?
Many of the features he demonstrated (PGXP, texture filtering, res upscaling) are in Beetle HW. What I'm not so sure on is overclocking - Beetle has GTE overclocking (the graphics hardware), but Duckstation appears to have MIPS overclocking (the CPU).

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Many of the features he demonstrated (PGXP, texture filtering, res upscaling) are in Beetle HW. What I'm not so sure on is overclocking - Beetle has GTE overclocking (the graphics hardware), but Duckstation appears to have MIPS overclocking (the CPU).
gotcha. MVG doesn't throw praise around lightly and I trust his judgment. He said it was the best he's seen so far.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Last time I looked into Retroarch on retail it involved some weird Discord where you had to give someone money to put you on a testing list or something. That wasn't going to happen.
This is wildly inaccurate as I have never paid a dime and the discord is only needed if you have questions (which most probably will).

This video is made by the one porting it.
Afterwards I would suggest this channel for settings and tech info if you don't want to join the discord.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
We turn to Sony for a comment:

s-l400.jpg

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
How do you get the games onto the console?

I prefer portables for emulation but if you want to play on your tv this seems really good.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I downloaded retail Duckstation on my XSX a while ago but never used it. I see I need to change that.