• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm very tempted to install this on my Series X. Does anyone know how Duckstation handles modding content? I have a Japanese copy of Ace Combat 3 and I want to use the fan translation patch to play it.

Ooooh Weeee... you're going to have one hell of an experience.

Unfortunately for myself, I finished that game when it first came out.... but didn't know how to read or understand Japanese.... but I felt the story deep inside. 😁

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For ps1 you only need to select the aspect ratio you want in the emulator. I think there is a Retroarch core that allows to dump and replace textures, but it is recent and i dont know if there are any mods already.

For ps2 you need widescreen cheats (you can download them and put them in the folder "\cheats_ws" if they are not included already with the download) and to activate "widescreen cheats" in the emulator options. 60fps patches and other kind of patches (like no interlacing) go to the "\cheats" folder (you need to create a file with the game ID.pnach) and you also have to activate "cheats" in the emulator options. There is also a version of PCSX2 that allows to dump and replace textures, but i dont know much aside for that (i dont think there is a core with that functionality for Retroarch).

So do texture packs work on Duckstation and/or Retroarch? I can't seem to find a concrete answer.

I also can't seem to find any resources that collect PSX texture packs. This is the only thing I found:

If more of this stuff exists, I'd certainly want to know about it.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone gotten save states to work? I can't seem to get them working, whether closing the game or saving manually.

Also, is there a way to rebind buttons to the right analog stick? I was looking to map L1 and R1 to the right analog stick for games like Mega Man Legends, which use the shoulder buttons to control the camera. I'm not seeing a way to do that.

I'm also not seeing a way to set a hotkey toggle along with hotkey combos (like if I wanted to use Select+R2 to fast forward, Select+L1 to rewind, etc).

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
2 questions:

1. In Silent Hill I need to use the Select button to enter the inventory but Duckstation has the back (Select) button set to opening the Duckstation menu. What is the work around?
2. Has anyone figured out general optimized setting for Duckstation? I know some stuff is per person but I am looking for a general good starting point.

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
2 questions:

1. In Silent Hill I need to use the Select button to enter the inventory but Duckstation has the back (Select) button set to opening the Duckstation menu. What is the work around?
2. Has anyone figured out general optimized setting for Duckstation? I know some stuff is per person but I am looking for a general good starting point.
You can change hotkey for menu (settings > hotkey settings > Open Quick Menu Button) I use L3 button instead since it's not being used in games.

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to play ps2 games off an external USB? Really struggling to get them working...

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
is there a convenient way for me to get my digital PSN copies of PS1 classics onto XB1?

ripping physical discs to USB seems simple enough

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Series S continues to be a sweet deal. While I'd hesitate to go for PS1 games, PS2 is pure bliss. King's Field 4 with the ability to modernize controls is just great. Forgot how sprawling that game can be, and it still has superior atmosphere for days.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Sony and Nintendo sitting on a massive gold mine they won't even touch, while MS consoles are running every system pre-Wii.

Kinda OT, but I honestly believe we will see Switch emulation on this gen consoles (whether it's a mid gen refresh remains to be seen).

I legit play most of my Switch games on PC now through emulation as the games just deserve better hardware than the Switch. I just dump the cart from my console, move to PC and away I go. Most games I buy get a quick playthrough on Switch and a second more slow/deliberate playthrough on PC, highly recommend!

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
Is there a dummies guide to get this all set up? I'd love to try this on my retail Series X, but I feel like I don't know where to start.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a dummies guide to get this all set up? I'd love to try this on my retail Series X, but I feel like I don't know where to start.

Join that discord, look for the channel "retail start here", pretty short guide tells you how to get whitelisted and then what to do after, just be sure to read all of it. They whitelist when they get a chance, just be patient.

Also, when you load up the website on your Xbox, everything has a guide as well. The only thing you need to know with duckstation is that you need to add a bios.

Hammertime

Dec 6, 2020
It is safe to do on the series x right ? Like it won't affect performance in other games or over heat my Xbox ?

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
Join that discord, look for the channel "retail start here", pretty short guide tells you how to get whitelisted and then what to do after, just be sure to read all of it. They whitelist when they get a chance, just be patient.

Also, when you load up the website on your Xbox, everything has a guide as well. The only thing you need to know with duckstation is that you need to add a bios.

This discord, correct?

Discord - A New Way to Chat with Friends & Communities

Discord is the easiest way to communicate over voice, video, and text. Chat, hang out, and stay close with your friends and communities.

And this should work for RetroArch and Duckstation?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We turn to Sony for a comment:

s-l400.jpg

"why the hell would anyone want to play a PS1 game?"
jim-ryan-laughing.gif

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine when someone makes a sega saturn emulator with 4k support for series x… :)

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have problems with Retroarch not recognizing games on an emulator despite having worked with said emulator previously?

This is like a daily problem for me, and sometimes it happens within the same day and I cant understand why. NES, Genesis, SNES, doesnt seem to matter; I keep running into this issue even after deleting/redownloading Retroarch.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
It's ridiculously easy to set it up, got it running tonight. The one thing I didn't do is set up the FTP, so I'm running the few psx games I have on a flashdrive and it works beautifully.

I found my Tekken 2 CD and I ripped it. I hand't played that in 20 years... it was a very emotional moment for me, lol.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
You gotta google for 60fps pnach codes (and how to name them) for Silent Hill 2/3 and insert them manually in a cheat folder (LocalState > system > pcsx2 > Cheats).

But yeah they work, I was just playing Silent Hill 2 in 4K/60fps/16:9.

18.8.2021_14.45.48-ii9zkz6.png
I got SH2 up and running... But I don't seem to have access to the menu once I'm in-game (press paus for 2 seconds). So it's running on essentially the regular PS2 settings.

Does it work like DuckStation via RetroArch? (You turn up the internal resolution up to 4K) - Or do you do that via pnach files as well?

Would appreciate a link, if you (or anyone else) have one! 😊

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
I didn't think it was going to be as easy as it was, but I was able to play Ridge Racer Type 4 in all of 5 minutes of set up. Absolutely bonkers.

Feb 13, 2021
Been using this for a few days and really like it. Also used RetroArch now it's so easy (retail mode) and its also very good. I have a question though:

Can I store unlimited ROMs on the official Seagate 1TB expansion drive, or will I still be limited to 16GB?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is it possible to have different configuration profiles for each game? I haven't been able to find that option, so it's a bit of a pain having to change the different settings with each game?

Also, I'm assuming I shouldn't be using the widescreen hack for games with pre-rendered backgrounds? I tried it on Chrono Cross and it broke a few things (like the text popping out the dialogue boxes or the characters running through invisible floors).

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to have different configuration profiles for each game? I haven't been able to find that option, so it's a bit of a pain having to change the different settings with each game?

Also, I'm assuming I shouldn't be using the widescreen hack for games with pre-rendered backgrounds? I tried it on Chrono Cross and it broke a few things (like the text popping out the dialogue boxes or the characters running through invisible floors).
You can set up per game configs through Retroarch and with Duckstation. I don't know how to do per game configs with Duckstation's fancy UI, however. On Windows, you need to use the regular desktop UI and right click on each game to set up a profile, and Retroarch you can save a game config via the quick menu while the game is running.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does using emulators on a XsX risk you being banned or any weird shit? Any cumbersome config or boot from usb and good to go?
No risk of being banned. Config takes a little time but it's straightforward if you follow the guide. RetroArch just opens like any other game/app from your Xbox UI.

Last edited:

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
How good is the emulation on 1X? I'll be playing on a 1080P TV.

I've actually been super impressed with the performance. I also only have a X1X, and I still only game on a 1080p, so my situation is same as you. I set to 5x resolution (1080p) and I don't do any geometry correction, so it's basically just original image upscaled. But it looks so good, and performance in my limited testing has been rock solid. For example, I played a race of Wipeout XL and framerate didn't dip, at least not anything I noticed (I didn't have the fps hud turned on). I wanted to specifically try a fast-paced racing game to test the framerate, and it passed in this case.