• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
BfMx6s0.jpg

Welcome to the official thread for the new 2017 reboot of Ducktales! My first OT and thanks Peff for contributing the video links and extra cast members!

KsPsTkB.png

Ducktales is a show that premiered back in August with a "TV Movie" and is now airing on DisneyXD, done by Walt Disney Television Animation that tells the story of fledglings Huey, Duey, and Louie as they go on wild adventures with their Uncle Donald and Great Uncle Scrooge. They're joined by the plucky and adventurous Webby, her hard-boiled grandmother, Beakley (who works as Scrooge's [strike]secretary[/strike] housekeeper), and the featherbrained, but always cheerful Launchpad McQuack who is also Scrooge's personal chauffeur (and a pilot apparently). You may or may not know about the original cartoon that first aired in 1987, but both this show and the old show actually originated in a comic book as far back as 1947 (Scrooge's first apparance) created by Cark Barks. The new cartoon sets out to be a whimsical concoction of this old comic as well as the cartoon with some modern sensibilities thrown in. The opening intro even has some striking similarities to Carl Barks' vintage artwork!

jzGgUxC.jpg

W2oiO0X.jpg

JqvdaGQ.png

One of the big highlights of this new series is how Disney has pulled out all the stops into hiring a STELLAR cast. Many people first scoffed at the idea that a new cast could replace the untouchables of the 1987 show, but once the first episode aired, they happily ate crow. I mean just look at these resumes from the Disney Press Site!

Disney has also posted resumes of the 3 guys leading production on the new show! They're no amateurs!

It's worth noting that Tony Anselmo is the only returning voice actor from the original voicing none other than Donald Duck!

bIKi70x.jpg

Mgrd6DK.png

Other characters confirmed to be cast and set to show up are:

Gyro Gearloose (voiced by Jim Rash)
Fenton Crackshell-Cabrera (voiced by Lin-Manuel Miranda)
Gladstone Gander (voiced by Paul F. Tompkins)
Flintheart Glomgold (voiced by Keith Ferguson)
Goldie O'Gilt (voiced by Allison Janney)
Ludwig Von Drake (voiced by Corey Burton)
Ma Beagle (voiced by beloved character actress Margo Martindale)
The Beagle Boys (voiced by Eric Bauza)
Mark Beaks (voiced by Josh Brener)

5C0JrIP.png

We will be using this section to list upcoming episodes. Only right as of now

Friday, May 5 - 112 "The Spear of Selene!"
Friday May 11 - 114 "Beware the B.U.D.D.Y. System!"
Friday May 18 - 113 "The Missing Links of Moorshire!"
Friday May 25 - 111 "McMystery at McDuck McManor!"

WCrTgyt.png

(Replace "tube" with "pak" if unavailable in your region)

Trailer
Meet Launchpad McQuack short
Theme Song Supercut with many surprise appearances!
Meet Huey! short
Donald's Birthday short
Meet Scrooge! short
Meet Mrs. Beakley! short
Meet Webby Vanderquack! short
360° Adventure: The Lost Key of Tralla La
2-episode premiere
Life is Full of Adventures with Aflac (Promo)
Main theme.
The cast sings the theme song
The classic.
The other classic.

Q7qhIGR.png

- Do I need to have watched the original to enjoy this?
Nope. While there are many direct and indirect references to all sorts of duck-related Disney media (as well as other Disney Afternoon shows), this show is self-contained and largely its own thing. Many characters have been reinterpreted and the August premiere serves as an introduction to the main characters as well as a sample of what the average episode will be like.

- How many episodes will there be?
The first season will have 21 half-hour episodes and two one hour specials, one of which aired in August. Season 2 is already confirmed.

- Are the episodes standalone?
Largely so, but much like other modern cartoons, there will be a season-long, more serialized background plot dealing with Della Duck, the mother of the triplets.

- I know about the old show, but are these comic-book thingies any good?
Yes. Fantagraphic Books is currently printing a complete collection of both Carl Barks and Don Rosa's works, and while buying the full set at once is probably not the greatest idea, volumes 4 and 5 of The Don Rosa Library contain "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck", which is well worth checking out.

- Is Darkwing Duck really going to show up in this?
Apparently so!

Last edited:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_oyj0uhrr2d1sep9jeo4_540.gif

my reaction when I come back to the thread and find what few replies there were was somehow purged

what happened?

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my reaction when I come back to the thread and find what few replies there were was somehow purged

what happened?

I reported the thread I created and I guess a mod mistakenly deleted both of them. I PM'd another mod and they brought the thread back, but the replies were lost.

Third time's the charm!

EDIT: Speaking of which, is anybody making an Adventure Time OT? The Gaf thread was kind of dead but it'd be a shame to not something up for whenever the final stretch airs at some point in the future.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
I've been loving the reboot so far. I watch it with my four year old daughter and it's one of the highlights of our weekend. We both adore Webby.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: Speaking of which, is anybody making an Adventure Time OT? The Gaf thread was kind of dead but it'd be a shame to not something up for whenever the final stretch airs at some point in the future.
Someone will need to make a new one, I made the last two over on Gaf but here I'm juniored so it's out of my hands. Also hoping someone remakes OTs for Star Vs. and OK KO, got some updates on backlog over here. And bring back the general Western Animation thread while they're at it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Hello !
Still haven't watched yesterday's episode but I just want to say that this is my favorite current tv animation and that it was basically made for me because every actor in it I love it and lots of artists that I followed before on twitter are working on it. And it is based on some amazing comics that I grew up reading.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like we're going to be knee-deep in hiatus from here on out. Doesn't look to be anything on the near-horizon until at least December when we're supposed to be getting that Huey-focused ep.

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
yeah the Huey ep in December is probably the last one we're getting for the year. hopefully the hiatus won't be too long since Disney's airing the series weekly instead of doing the bomb format where they hold back episodes and then blow through whole chunks of seasons in a couple weeks (which they do with literally every other animated series on the channel iirc)

also I think my favorite genre of DuckTales ep so far is just the ones where Scrooge leads the kids on an adventure somewhere, bonus if Donald's tagging along too. "House of the Lucky Gander" and "Living Mummies of Toth-Ra" have been the strongest for me post-premiere

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Still catching up on the episodes. Just wanted to pop in and say new Mrs. Beakley and Webby are awesome! As is the Donald vs Mrs Beakley feud.

palewine

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like we're going to be knee-deep in hiatus from here on out. Doesn't look to be anything on the near-horizon until at least December when we're supposed to be getting that Huey-focused ep.

Man do I hate Disney XD's scheduling style. Sure enough, nine episodes in they decide to take the Gravity Falls route and stretch it out for hiatus after hiatus.

I like the characters in this revival, but I have a feeling that for the most part the show trades in adventure for comedy, and doesn't strike that same balance as the old show. Granted, it can be very clever and the animation is gorgeous, I just wish that this DuckTales would strive to the original's adventurous routes more as well. The Mark Beaks episode was nothing but jokes, even Scrooge had a goofy subplot sequestered in a room with Glamgold. Of course, this is all world building and the latest episode did provide the adventure goods, so maybe that tide is turning.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I reported the thread I created and I guess a mod mistakenly deleted both of them. I PM'd another mod and they brought the thread back, but the replies were lost.

Third time's the charm!
Oh, was wondering why I was no longer following the thread.

The Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks!
From the opening, I was expecting Mark to be more openly antagonistic toward Scrooge, but they in fact didn't even interact after the beginning. He was a fun character, and building up hype for nothing is perfect commentary on Silicon Valley. The corporate saboteur was neat, and I'm kind of sad he will likely never be used as a serious threat.

I thought the episode was pretty good, but I'm not a huge fan of how the show cordons off the characters in mostly unrelated subplots so often. Imagine if Scrooge and Glomgold came along with Huey and Dewie on a tour, and we got to see their reactions to the workplace.

The Living Mummies of Toth-Ra!
It's nice to see another episode where everyone goes on a single adventure. I would have preferred the episode didn't stop so often for a gag, though. Most egregious was the dance routine when the real Toth-Ra attacked.

Oct 25, 2017
A reminder that things have been airing out of order. Here's how it should go.

The pilot (Woo-oo!)
Daytrip of Doom
The unannounced Huey episode
The Great Dime Chase
The Beagle Birthday Massacre
The House of the Lucky Gander
The Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks
The Living Mummies of Toth-Ra
Terror of the Terra-Firmians

Things flow better in this order.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
The Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks!
From the opening, I was expecting Mark to be more openly antagonistic toward Scrooge, but they in fact didn't even interact after the beginning. He was a fun character, and building up hype for nothing is perfect commentary on Silicon Valley. The corporate saboteur was neat, and I'm kind of sad he will likely never be used as a serious threat.

I thought the episode was pretty good, but I'm not a huge fan of how the show cordons off the characters in mostly unrelated subplots so often. Imagine if Scrooge and Glomgold came along with Huey and Dewie on a tour, and we got to see their reactions to the workplace.

The Living Mummies of Toth-Ra!
It's nice to see another episode where everyone goes on a single adventure. I would have preferred the episode didn't stop so often for a gag, though. Most egregious was the dance routine when the real Toth-Ra attacked.

Agreed on every front. That saboteur was cool, & I hope he plays a role in an upcoming Glomgold scheme.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Really liking the show so far, but I'm a Duck fan.

Hopefully they do Goldie justice when she appears.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw the toth-ra episode while getting the car serviced with my wife. Really glad with the overall quality of the show so far

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
My husband and I love this show so far(and I had to do a lot of convincing to get him to watch it). I didn't know we're going into hiatus, that suuuuuucks.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I'm completely delighted at how good this show is, have loved all of the episodes I've seen so far.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Someone will need to make a new one, I made the last two over on Gaf but here I'm juniored so it's out of my hands. Also hoping someone remakes OTs for Star Vs. and OK KO, got some updates on backlog over here. And bring back the general Western Animation thread while they're at it.
Working on it : ) I'm aiming to have it up by Saturday and be a bit more in depth (mostly containing upcoming movie/TV show releases). Contact me if you want to help or have advice.

That goes to everyone as well.

Also, as far as Star vs. goes, I'm a bit too busy to make an OT for it on top of Western Animation, but if you make one up, I'll post it and credit you.

Last edited:

Tim-E

Oct 31, 2017
It makes me so happy I get to share my ridiculous Disney duck-world fandom with my kids and not come off as a crazy person.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Working on it : ) I'm aiming to have it up by Saturday and be a bit more in depth (mostly containing upcoming movie/TV show releases). Contact me if you want to help or have advice.

That goes to everyone as well.

Also, as far as Star vs. goes, I'm a bit too busy to make an OT for it on top of Western Animation, but if you make one up, I'll post it and credit you.
Not to worry, the OK K.O.! OT is already up and going and I've been assured by the previous OT poster that he'll have a new Star Vs. thread up in time for the Season 3 premiere. As for Adventure Time, I'm waiting for CN to get off their asses and announce when new episodes come back before doing anything. I'll be in touch on that matter.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
No episode today? :(

edit: After I did some googling, I didn't find anything about another episode at all. So that was the entire season? When is it starting up again?

Last edited:

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
No episode today? :(

edit: After I did some googling, I didn't find anything about another episode at all. So that was the entire season? When is it starting up again?
The season is still in progress, but we have no clue when the next episode is. That's modern Disney scheduling for you. Same thing happened with Gravity Falls and now with Star vs.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
So the next episode "The Impossible Summit of Mt. Neverrest!"will air December 2. We got a long wait ahead of us.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I'm more concerned about them only airing the one episode and then bailing out for another 2-3 months.
The stop-start approach that Disney uses for their shows just kills any momentum.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more concerned about them only airing the one episode and then bailing out for another 2-3 months.
The stop-start approach that Disney uses for their shows just kills any momentum.

Nickelodeon pulls that shit too. You can't build momentum and consistency in viewership that way Especially in streaming and online views.

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
I really don't like how cartoons end up with these crap scheduling. I need my ducks!

Otherwise I'm kinda feeling the show but I only really liked the pilot abd dime chase episodes. Till December...

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Disney XD holiday promo features a few scenes from upcoming episode "The Impossible Summit of Mt. Neverrest!"

EDIT: another promo, featuring more scenes

Last edited:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Disney XD just uploaded a long preview clip from an upcoming episode:

Unsure if this is from "The Impossible Summit of Mt. Neverest!" because the plot seems divorced from what we know about that episode but Huey seems to be the focus in this which is one of the things we know about Mt. Neverest so they could very well be one and the same.

"Mist Opportunity", lol

EDIT: oops, looks like they killed the video... good thing mirrors exist
LINK

The pulling of the clip suggests that it's not related to Saturday's premiere after all and someone Goof™ed.

anyways, not to spoil anything but examine the backgrounds closely in that clip for a surprise

also this:
tumblr_p05b6wLRxd1wcqp0mo1_540.png

how many words can you find?

Last edited:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Friendly reminder that The Impossible Summit of Mt. Neverrest! airs tomorrow morning @ 8AM followed by a new episode of Star Vs. The Forces of Evil. If you miss the morning premiere you can also catch it later @ 12:30 and 8:30PM.

That puzzle must've taken a lot of work

Smarties
Toughies
Money Bin
Golden Suns
Gold (elsewhere)
Clan McDuck
Rosa (! ! !)
Square
The Butler Did It (idk, but it's both backwards and pointing down)
Glasgow (also backwards)
Shoeshiner (backwards as well)
Klondike (backwards)
Dismal Downs

Did I miss anything?

Astrael

Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
That puzzle must've taken a lot of work

Smarties
Toughies
Money Bin
Golden Suns
Gold (elsewhere)
Clan McDuck
Rosa (! ! !)
Square
The Butler Did It (idk, but it's both backwards and pointing down)
Glasgow (also backwards)
Shoeshiner (backwards as well)
Klondike (backwards)
Dismal Downs

Did I miss anything?

Dang, that's a lot more than I realized. Two more smaller words I found that you didn't list here:
Yukon (backwards)
Beach (I kept trying to find if there was a proper name attached but it just seems to be 'beach' lol)

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Just a head's up, the HD Season Pass is on sale on iTunes right now for $9.99 (normally $29.99). This supposedly covers the whole first season so it's a good way to keep track of what's aired over the long, drawn out runs that Disney tends to do (was a life saver for Gravity Falls).

I've only seen the pilot movie so I'm amped as hell to watch through everything else that's released since then.

Dang, that's a lot more than I realized. Two more smaller words I found that you didn't list here:
Yukon (backwards)
Beach (I kept trying to find if there was a proper name attached but it just seems to be 'beach' lol)

Genuinely surprised I missed Yukon, honestly. Guess I'm only a poor old man. Thanks for the save!

Huh. Just spotted the word
Dime
on second notice, lol. It was literally the first word pointing down.

Still, it's a nice little easter egg for us long time fans of Scrooge McDuck.

Pretty decent episode today; hope Launchpad's character gets fleshed out a bit more during the rest of the season. Now the long wait begins... ._.

Status
Not open for further replies.