• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I loved the latest episode. Like everyone else I knew the twist as soon as that character was introduced. Nice shade thrown at DC and Warner.

Thinking it over later, though, I do have some concerns, though. A big part of what made Darkwing unique was that he wasn't very heroic. He was a self-centered glory-seeker who brought most of the misfortune he faced upon himself and crossed the line on more than one occasion on being more of a villain. Darkwing dealt with him overcoming his flaws to become a real hero and father.

This new take on Darkwing is just making him a straight hero who gets hurt but doesn't really deserve it. He's basically the same as Gizmoduck.

But seriously, this new DuckTales series has been knocking it out of the park.

I loved the latest episode. Like everyone else I knew the twist as soon as that character was introduced. Nice shade thrown at DC and Warner.

Thinking it over later, though, I do have some concerns, though. A big part of what made Darkwing unique was that he wasn't very heroic. He was a self-centered glory-seeker who brought most of the misfortune he faced upon himself and crossed the line on more than one occasion on being more of a villain. Darkwing dealt with him overcoming his flaws to become a real hero and father.

This new take on Darkwing is just making him a straight hero who gets hurt but doesn't really deserve it. He's basically the same as Gizmoduck.

This.
Darkwing as a green hero has me no really hyped but I won't scoff at it either.
I do wanted them to do a wise and seasoned Darkwing bur alas.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Also I can see how it's going to play out. Launchpad got Mrs. Beakley hooked on Darkwing, and she has connections to S.H.U.S.H, the spy organization that Darkwing worked for in the original series. So probably Beakley will hook Drake up with entry into S.H.U.S.H. and provide him with his gear. And they gave Launchpad an out with Della.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
speaking of Turbo... I mean Launchpad, were all of Della's names for her kids references to the names used in dubs of the original Ducktales series?

Turbo was used in the Dutch dub for Launchpad's character. But the other two don't ring a bell to me... Anyone care to enlighten me?

Oct 25, 2017

That could still be a part of who he is for now, he was a movie actor after all. He could start off wanting the fame before settling in to just being a hero and a father whenever they bring gosalyn into it, they've been very careful not to include her in any of the show stuff they've shown.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Duck Knight Returns is kind of ironic.

This almost mirrored the fall of the real actor who voices Darkwing Duck. You guys heard about Jim Cumming being arrested for domestic abuse, right?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Future Darkwing Duck Prediction:

Since Negaduck is from Darkwing's own dimension, I could see them pulling an opposite to get the tv villains here. Like he creates a portal to the tv dimension and brings all the tv villains to the "real" world in a reverse of the old show where Negaduck was a from another dimension.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Binged the whole episode drop, and god, every one of them was great, if not outright amazing. The inmates are running the asylum and they're all incredibly sharp scriptwriters.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
That could still be a part of who he is for now, he was a movie actor after all. He could start off wanting the fame before settling in to just being a hero and a father whenever they bring gosalyn into it, they've been very careful not to include her in any of the show stuff they've shown.
They set him up very clearly ideologically opposed to Jim Starling, who was basically the same personality as original Darkwing. This Drake doesn't care about fame/glory and is a straight-laced hero.

Since Negaduck is from Darkwing's own dimension, I could see them pulling an opposite to get the tv villains here. Like he creates a portal to the tv dimension and brings all the tv villains to the "real" world in a reverse of the old show where Negaduck was a from another dimension.
One thing that was always weird about the original cartoon was they gave Negaduck two origins. The first episode with him had Darkwing split into good and evil halves, with Negaduck being the evil half. That's basically what they've done with this new Darkwing.

Then they brought Negaduck back because he was popular even though Negaduck was merged back into Darkwing at the end of the original episode. They explained the Negaverse thing in a later episode.

Maybe the could just have all the actors become real villains by having Mark Beaks give them powers.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Actually I feel otherwise and that they've been placing clues that
Negaduck is going to recreate the tv villains to recruit them and all the technology has already been hinted at! We have electricity power giving nanites and a plant mutagen((from the doomsday vault) already and I'm sure a few others(watched the show a bit but I'm not versed in the rogues

Do agree on the Ms beakley teaming DM with Shush, although I wonder if the city move will be set up as Scrooge thinking Darkwing is a villain magnet and moving him away will reduce the number he has to deal with

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The Dangerous Chemistry of Gandra Dee!
The Universal Solvent! Surprised no one posted about it before. I really liked the comic story with it; it's a shame it probably won't be adapted directly. I wonder if we'll see The Black Knight.
Nice Huey singing.
Sheesh, Beaks is more physically skilled than I figured from previous episodes.
Beefy Beaks.
I was about to comment on him eating the pie tins, haha.
Indeed, the Universal Solvent was released and it just melted through a bit of the ceiling.
I liked this episode more than I would have figured from the thread reaction.

The Duck Knight Returns!
Not going to go point by point. Aside from the Darkwing Duck fanservice, this was just alright IMO. It's good that we have a legit Darkwing Duck in this universe now, but I'm not too keen on Drake Mallard's portrayal here. He's supposed to be a jackass!

I'd also prefer they didn't cross the streams too much past this point. Darkwing has his own universe of characters, and I don't really like seeing them entirely through the lens of DuckTales.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
SDCC is in July and I'm seeing chatter that the DuckTales crew will likely have a panel there so we might get some new info about the rest of the season and maybe even their plans for Season 3 (still coming in 2019, Disney?).

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So Dewey's middle name is Dingus, after Scrooge's grandfather (Fergus' dad). Actually, Dewey was in the presence of the ghost of his namesake. Dewford Dingus Duck... I wonder what the other two have for middle names?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Having just caught up: Is Friendship Hates Magic the first (and only?) episode to have absolutely no members of the direct Duck/McDuck family in it?

It's a good sign of them having so much faith in the ensemble cast.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Having just caught up: Is Friendship Hates Magic the first (and only?) episode to have absolutely no members of the direct Duck/McDuck family in it?

At the rate they're going introducing new characters by the second half of Season 3 they'll be able to produce a "22 Short Films About Duckburg" episode.

Oct 25, 2017

As I understand it, the episode's cast, aside from Quackfaster, is entirely characters created for the cartoons.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Watching the latest episode with my childhood hero Darkwing Duck and that trailer was too good. It's Batman the Dark Knight!!!

This needs it's own show!!! Too good of an episode!

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Yay!
tumblr_prjzxvCCcC1rji958o1_400.gif

"Get way from Webby! SHE'S MINE!

Oh my.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Crazy speculation time... what if we've already MET this universe's Gosalyn and just haven't realized it yet?

'Cause I can think of a female duckling orphan character that lacks a stable family support structure that wears sneakers all the time that just got brought back to life from residing full-time in Webby's shadow.

Or do we need Lena to exclaim "keen gear" once for those wheels to start turning?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy speculation time... what if we've already MET this universe's Gosalyn and just haven't realized it yet?

'Cause I can think of a female duckling orphan character that lacks a stable family support structure that wears sneakers all the time that just got brought back to life from residing full-time in Webby's shadow.

Or do we need Lena to exclaim "keen gear" once for those wheels to start turning?
only if those wheels are of a skateboard as it careens down a half-pipe, as it's going to take more than that to convince me Lena is this show's Gosalyn

Lena has nowhere near the energy a proper Gos would. And we wouldn't want the newly-formed and christened "Team Magic" from getting split up, now would we?

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I can't believe they actually managed to write in Darkwing Duck as an actual character now, while still keeping their whole existing backstory and characters intact, with such a cool twist even. This show is so much better than one might think it is.

If they actually go superheroics for Season 3, I can see no universe without PK for us Eurofans, given Donald being, well, away for a bit, and introducing the voice modulator in season 1. He's not a fighter at all and totally relies on gimmick technology built by Gearloose, so the stage is all set for him to find a place. Really needs the car though.

Last edited:

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Just to note, cartoon OTs don't usually have seasonal threads, instead lumping them into a single thread. You can blame the channels' sporadic scheduling for that.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Just to note, cartoon OTs don't usually have seasonal threads, instead lumping them into a single thread. You can blame the channels' sporadic scheduling for that.
Not really? Star vs., MLP, Tangled, and Gravity Falls had different season threads. But then again this and IIRC Steven Universe don't. It really comes down to if it's actually easy to tell when a new season starts from a broadcast perspective.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Launchpad takes over the theme song. It's pretty great.
For those unaware, Disney is doing this for other shows, though this is the only other one to come out, for the late Milo Murphy's Law

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
In the episode "Friendship is Magic", I swear that Violet is humming the Metroid start up jingle before the girls play Baggle. Am I crazy?

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I just finished binging all of the episodes. This is a really good show, are there any estimates on when more will come out?

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping. This has been a great summer vacation for me. I'm all caught up on OK KO and Ducktales, I'm probably going to start Craig of the Creek soon as well.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's wonderful, you should! Mao Mao (which just started) is fun so far too, and you should definitely check out Amphibia!

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I've been marathoning my way through the show and got to The Outlaw Scrooge McDuck episode. And then Rock-afire Explosion's Billy Bob pops up out of nowhere. Weird but neat little reference there.

D_aT8ftWkAA46Tm.png

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I've been marathoning my way through the show and got to The Outlaw Scrooge McDuck episode. And then Rock-afire Explosion's Billy Bob pops up out of nowhere. Weird but neat little reference there.

D_aT8ftWkAA46Tm.png

This was actually my first episode of the series. It was on randomly and it convinced me I needed to watch it.

The Ottoman Empire commercials in this episode are my favorite thing in the world.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Season 2 midseason trailer:

And another Theme Song Takeover, this time with ol' Flinty

EDIT: HOLY FUUUUUCK

RJGninc.jpg

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Confirmed that the show creators have dirty on the disney higher ups

That is the only explanation how they got everyone

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
4423a228ac0af163aa7cebaf8b0487499bbdca75.gif

Over the last week unaired Season 2 episode titles (and one synopsis) have been appearing on separate online channel listings. Here's what we have so far (updated w/ new/final info from source):

Tuesday Sept. 3rd - "Whatever Happened to Donald Duck?!"
Donald and Penumbra must break out of a Moon Prison and send a warning to Earth about a looming invasion; Dewey and Webby uncover a sinister conspiracy targeting their family.
Wednesday Sept. 4th - "Happy Birthday, Doofus Drake!"
Louie teams with Goldie to scam their way through Doofus' dangerous party; Huey pushes himself out of his comfort zone in his favorite online game.
Thursday Sept. 5th - "The Nightmare on Killmotor Hill!"
The kids are pulled into a world made of their wildest dreams; Lena's worst nightmare comes true, as Magica De Spell returns to reclaim what's hers.
Friday Sept. 6th - "The Golden Armory of Cornelius Coot!"
Webby leads the kids in a race against the Beagles to find a secret treasure while hiding a secret of her own; Della is forced to teach Launchpad how to actually fly a plane.
Monday Sept. 9th - "Timephoon!"
When Louie uses Gyro's Time Tub to steal lost treasures from the past, a mysterious storm in the present sends all of space and time crashing down onto the mansion.
Tuesday Sept. 10th - "GlomTales!"
Glomgold forms his own team made up of all of Scrooge's greatest villains to defeat Scrooge's family once and for all.
Wednesday Sept. 11th - "The Richest Duck in the World!"
Louie, Scrooge and Owlson must escape from an unstoppable monster cursed to hunt down and destroy the richest duck in the world.
Thursday Sept. 12th - "Moonvasion!" (double-length season finale)
The moon invades Duckburg, forcing Scrooge to join forces with an unlikely ally in an effort to save Earth; Della and the kids search the globe for reinforcements.

This appears to be the final and correct schedule.

Seems they'll be airing at 3PM daily between 9/3 - 9/12 with a weekend break inbetween. Gotta say, wasn't expecting us to come back to an episode seemingly focused on Donald's predicament.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.