• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Was watching some christmas movies when I heard this gem in Jack Frost:

bJI3rbf.jpg

For context, Michael Keaton plays a guy who dies and comes back as the snowman his son built. As winter nears it's end, Michael Keaton begins to melt, so his son tries taking him up into the mountains where it's still cold enough for snowmen to survive. During their journey, they run into the local bully, who's tormented the son for most of the film. The bully insults Michael Keaton, which prompts him to speak. Upon realizing the snowman is truly alive, the bully has a change of heart and decides to help the son on his quest to get Michael Keaton up the mountain.

This incredible bit of dialogue was the inspiration for this thread. So ERA, what dumb lines from movies do you want to share?

Gorgamel

Oct 25, 2017
The sand line in AOTC.

It is the main reason I can't rewatch that movie. Even if I can skip it, knowing it's there drains my soul.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched a bit of Revenge of the Sith yesterday, the first 20 mins has so many bad lines. Like one after the other, I don't understand how a movie can be made with such a huge budget but with such a poor script.

I turned it off after this scene:

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Air Force One 'Get off my plane.'

And on top of it, the worst cgi in an era where better was possible with the plane crash at the end. Garbage movie.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Dale Arden: Flash, Flash, I love you, but we only have fourteen hours to save the Earth!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There was a time above... a time before... there were perfect things... diamond absolutes. But things fall... things on earth. And what falls... is fallen

-Snyderman, Batman Bin Suparman

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
X-Men:

Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
X-Men:

Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else.

I always see this get trotted out as an example of bad writing but it seems fine to me? It's a weak quip but it's not offensive.

It sets up the expectation that something particular happens to toads when struck by lightning, then subverts it to highlight the power of a lightning bolt. It's not genius, but it's functional.

What am I missing?

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Lois : "you smell good..." -
Superman : "what, it wasn't the case before"?

For context, that's just after superman was resurrected, before that he was still in a grave

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
It's mostly how ridiculously over acted the line is. You're right, in of itself it's a fairly tame quip. The problem is Halle Berry doesn't get that, so massively overacts it as some huge stunning revelation and it comes across as really dumb.

Had it been said in a casual, light hearted manner as she takes him down without much effort it wouldn't be memorable at all.

Namiks

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Basically every attempt at comedy in superhero films.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
"No more dead cops"
"Things are worse than ever"
"Have a nice trip, cya next fall"
"Is that a bazooka?"
"I didn't sign up for this"
"I suggest next time you buy American"
TDK

"He's comin' right up on yer butt!"
Batman Begins

Nolan really likes having goofy cringe-worthy cop characters in his Batman movies for some reason.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a time above... a time before... there were perfect things... diamond absolutes. But things fall... things on earth. And what falls... is fallen
And

''Never do anything out of hunger. Not even eating.'' - Frank Semyon, True Detective

Last edited:

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
if we believe there's even a one percent chance that he is our enemy we have to take it as an absolute certainty

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Considering the movie, this is one of the best parts of it and something I actually want to see/hear when watching movies like it. But still dumb ofcourse. Especially considering that he is responding to a situation where he isn't involved but imagines it. He is talking to himself while adressing someone else. The musical cue at the end just adds to the hilarity. Explaining why it's dumb probably wasn't necessary though.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
The fast and the furious

Dom: What are you smiling about? Brian: Dude, I almost had you! Dom: You almost had me? You never had me! You never had your car ...

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"More human that humans." Blade Runner 2049, I love the movie but that line was so fucking stupid.