• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you ever had something scare you in the past that looking back it's kinda silly now?

I remember playing Crash 2 as a kid and having to leave the room whenever Cortex's hologram would show up.
latest

I have no idea why now but this thing freaking terrified me as a child.

NexasX

Oct 29, 2017
This isn't a particularly uncommon one but any underwater stage in Sonic turns the game from a side-scrolling adventure platformer to OH GOD WHERE'S THAT AIR BUBBLE HE CAN'T BREATHE I CAN'T BREATHE I CAN'T PLAY THIS.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
It's gotta be the sewer boss in Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire. Probably not intended to be so scary but I hated it.

That and the "Thriller" level in Michael Jackson's Moonwalker

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In Bloodborne, the main hall of the upper cathedral, ALL that cathedral with wolves and marrow sucker get on my nerves.

I farmed it for blood rock dozen times but still have accelerating heartbeat when going in.

Hero of Winds

Oct 28, 2017
Most things at sea in The Wind Waker used to terrify me as a kid. Big Octos, Gyorgs, cyclones, but they're all pretty easy to defeat/avoid.

Except Seahats. Fuck Seahats.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
I don't know how dumb it is but Redeads in Ocarina of Time scared me when I was a kid and I avoided places where they appeared. Needless to say, when I got to the future Hyrule Castle I wasn't very happy.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Somehow Gex 2 of all games scarred me as a kid. I never got past these guys in the horror-themed levels. Them being invincible really freaked me out.

cRjX3uL.png

will0wis

Nov 1, 2017
Brazil
The game over screen in OutRun Europa:

hqdefault.jpg

When I was a kid I'd run out of the room or turn off my old Master System every single time this happened, I was beyond frightened by the image of the police officer taking the guy.

Proto

Jan 19, 2018
bertha.png

I was terrified of these as a little kid and made my older brother play these levels for me lol

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Though I can't quite say why pretty much all the bosses in Ninja Gaiden on the NES scared me when I was a child.

I think it was partly because how large they were compared to you. Also that music.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
PSO Ver.1 Online

You get killed. As the screen turns red you see a teammate running towards your dropped gear from a distance. Ya revive at the hospital and the room is missing one person.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
This shit right here is the first thing that came to mind.

Castlevania%2B%2528U%2529%2B%2528V1.2%2529%2B%2Bsnap0009.jpg

Castlevania 64 Hedge Maze with Frank's monster and dogs.

MopDog

Nov 15, 2017
The ocean in Crysis.

I'm pretty frightened of open water swimming in general, and the game's visuals combined with the really well done ocean sounds made the shit too real. Had real anxiety about sharks.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
wEwO1EM.png

Not understanding what was happening and why everything was getting reversed and chopped up like that was pretty scary back then. Nowadays I just laugh and go fix it.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
latest

Yes I was nervous about it BEFORE the whole Ben Drowned creepypasta came out.

It just really unnerved me. Especially when I compared normal Link's face with this elegy.

Jedi79

Oct 27, 2017
You know those bushes you can hide in , in fortnite.... didn't know you could hide in those and was moseying along and BLAM a dude pops out amd shotguns me, I about shipped my pants.. embarrassing and funny

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna say the spiders in the PS1 Emperor's New Groove game, but looking it up yeah no, these shits are still scary.

pc-60866-11439128780a2k1b.jpg

51hs771xd2ltpj2j.jpg

And they'd drop down from the sky out of no where, too.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
simant-the-electronic-ant-colony_8.gif

The spider in SimAnt.

Mostly he'd just languidly wander around the map, but then every so often he'd choose a specific ant and charge them down at inescapable speed. And sometimes that ant would be you.

Oh, and since you could disconnect the camera from your ant sometimes you'd be looking at something else entirely and this would suddenly pop up on the screen.

hqdefault.jpg

Samikaze!!

Oct 29, 2017
SF Bay Area
I wasn't even young when this happened, I was probably 16-17 years old.

Playing Sniper Elite on Xbox, there would be papers floating around. It's was a nice atmospheric touch that added to the desolation that was 1945 Germany. For some reason, these bags would always get a jump scare out of me, to the point where I'd even dodge them in the game.

I have no idea why. It was not a supernatural game. There were no monsters, no small attack birds, no airborne enemies to speak of.
Yet it always, always got me.

Oct 27, 2017
As a kid, pretty much any creature in the water. The Mario 64 and Majora's Mask sea snakes, Shadows of the Empire sewer boss, you name it.

reminio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lincoln, UK
Most recently the Blood Moon in Zelda. The first time it happened to me I had no idea what was going on and I was scared shitless.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
Skeletons, particularly the one in Diablo 1 (left) as well as Blood Skeletons in Symphony of the Night (right).
Skeleton_%28Diablo_I%29.gif
3449.png

I had an irrational fear of skeletons when I was a kid, and Diablo 1 just creeped me back then so I watched someone else play it. I could cope in SotN because Skeletons were one hit kills, but the idea of a skeleton that never died terrified me. For those who are unfamiliar, Blood Skeletons also die in one hit, but they just crumple into a pile of bones and resurrect a few seconds later.

I tried to play Diablo 1 a few times but only on the first few floors. However, I encountered a glitch where the skeleton somehow instantly resurrects after playing the dying animation, which made me stop playing the game until I was like a decade older.

Unspoken90

Oct 28, 2017
The whole gimmick of the series is blood and gore, but for some reason the Mortal Kombat 4 game over sequence scared me.

Kenagain

Oct 27, 2017
latest

This mother fucker in Gex. I never beat it as a child because of him. I remembered who moved super awkwardly and made some scary noises

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Megaleg from Super Mario Galaxy...

I'm not sure why this boss in particular scared me when there was the much creepier Kingfin. I hate sharks.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
latest

Don't ask me why but I had nightmares for a good couple of years after first playing The Cluefinders

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
This one is weird.

Don't ask why, but for some reason when I was a kid used to be terrified of this pre-release image/footage of Crash Twinsanity showing a version of Uka Uka with fucked up textures on his face. I couldn't even look at it:

uka-uka-1-2.jpg

...yeah, I don't know either. I guess seeing the image taking up most of my 800x600 display made it appear a bit more shocking to my young brain, but still. I guess he looks a bit more freaky with the clashing colour scheme compared to his usual look:
uka-uka-crash-twinsanity.jpg

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
The basment / rear courtyard of Mario 64.

Also, 3D collectathons in general. The invisible walls around the world felt claustrophobic. It felt like a fake world where everything was creepy and slightly off, in comparison to 2D games for me. I think the villainous laughs of Bowser and in Banjo made it worse.