• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean the character themselves, as I thought they were pretty cool. Just the fight was kinda dumb.

Stealth games often try to set up situations where the devs want players to sneak by foes, but commonly struggle with finding good rewards. This sequence felt like great "just desserts" mechanically and creatively speaking. In terms of story, I like how this sequence implies that Snake isn't a monster. That any life he takes follows him in spirit. This is legitimately haunting to me and I haven't seen anything really like it since. Mechanically, this sequence rewards stealthy players with a much deserved easier "battle," gives anyone that was killing folks left and right a reason to think twice about it the next time they want to pull the trigger, and very clearly communicates why players were getting the experience they did. This is fantastic narrative design. But the best reason for why this sequence is the way that it is gets very spoilery...

In a game like MGS3, players have sooo many tempting options to completely destroy people, so why shouldn't they just kill every person they see? This question is central to MGS3 from the start and it is something the dev team needed players to think about as much as possible before reaching the story's climax. If killing characters in a videogame is meaningless, or worse considered to be "fun," The Boss' death and effectively the entire game is frivolous. To me, The Sorrow is a unique and interestingly nonviolent sequence that helps bring meaning and just a little bit of depth to everything around it.

My least favorite things about Metal Gear...
Series wide: Misogyny.
1 - Meryl.
2 - The bait and switch. It's never going to feel like a good moment.
3 - Killing a certain character, that I feel a lot of folks will want to kill, at the beginning of the game ends with Time Paradox instant game over. Feels like a missed opportunity to do something really bonkers/weird here, even if it was a short sequence. The instant game over felt cheap.
4 - Johnny is not nearly as funny as the writers thought he was. Meryl (again). Only learning anything about the Beauty and The Beast Unit until after boss fights robbed the characters of any chance to be remotely interesting.
5 - Quiet: Kojima should feel ashamed of his words and deeds. The excessive chopper rides the start/end missions. Feels weird that it's close to being a real open-world game, but then isn't?

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Resident Evil, we're just expected to assume that asides from Jill who did get infected by Nemesis with the T-Virus that none of the protagonists ever got bitten by a zombie. Even though in gameplay it's extremely rare to go through a game and not get bitten.

Either that or they are all magically immune to the T-Virus with zero explanation, again Jill being the exception as she was and infected with and cured of the T-Virus.

Absolutely, no RE protag has ever bit canonically bitten/strung/slashed by a virus infected enemy. They (along with the application of herbs/spray are solely a gameplay device unique to the player. The only real injuries occurred are those that happen in cutscenes (such as Leon & Ada's injuries incurred in RE2's campaign).

Although, Ethan in RE7 does canonically get jacked up HARD in RE7 (loss of hand and reattachment via staple/meds)- which does sort of directly bring the herbs miracle healing properties into the canon.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
All the wifu bullshit in fire emblem.

Weapon breaking in Zelda. Or any game, really.

Last edited:

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Weapon breaking in the Silent Hill games after SH 4.

Hacking minigames in Saints Row 4. Also not a fan of some of the Professor Genki minigames.

The minigames before taking on a mission in both No More Heroes games.

I think I just dislike minigames.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Weapon breaking is a genuine thing, you guys need to just deal with it. Even real world weapons can only take so much repeated use without maintenance before they become damaged enough to be compromised or broken.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably being able to kiss posters of models in MGS2.
Metal Gear series
Snakemore.jpg
This always gets me.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to think that the backlash to the FFX-2.5 novel was so universally reviled that the franchise has reached peak dumb and they'll never reach that height again.

But then again there's a whole new wave of FFVII games that has Toriyama involved. Plenty of chances to add in one more....

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any time modern Persona touches anything related to LGBT people. I'm amazed Lala is as awesome as they are.

For a non problematic dumb thing "for fucks sake stop texting me shit I already know!"