• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is your favourite character?

• Paul Atreides

Votes: 336 37.9%
  • Duncan Idaho

Votes: 246 27.7%
  • Alia Atreides

Votes: 67 7.6%
  • Leto II

Votes: 165 18.6%
  • Darwi Odrade

Votes: 10 1.1%
  • Miles Teg

Votes: 16 1.8%
  • Other (specify in thread and why)

Votes: 47 5.3%

• Total voters

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I reckon the first teaser trailer will drop no later than March.

Easily my most look forward to movie this year. Absolutely nothing else comes close on the hype scale.
Agreed. One of my favorite sci-fi books of all time from one of my favorite current directors. And one who's uniquely suited to tackle the material. It's a dream come true. I only hope it makes the money it will surely deserve

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think you'll get much, if any, of what Frank intended by reading the "next books".
Yea it seems like they didn't follow the threads that Frank had going lol

I read that they apparently went off Franks notes but most people think it seems unlikely, and I agree. It would be hard to continue his style honestly, Frank was working with so many topics at once.

It is pretty lame that they went with AI over the Face Dancers. They seemed like an interesting mix of all the themes covered since it is inferred they can completely consume an entire persona, and it would have been cool to see what Frank did with that. They might not have even been a real enemy in the end.
And I also saw that they made Duncan a super cyborg or something lmao, and also something about a super sandworm being formed by many sandworms converging. lol.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
When I was reading the summaries of the post-Frank books, as soon as I read the word "ultraspice", I just said "Nope, fuck this, I'm out. Too fucking stupid."

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Cutting promo footage is probably a good sign that a teaser is coming.

The LOTR comparison is inescapable, but I hope the movie isn't crushed by the weight of expectation.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
If this guy is telling the truth, than I imagine some sort of teaser isn't far off. I wouldn't rule out seeing a teaser with Birds of Prey.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Every time this topic is bumped I PRAY it's for a leaked teaser date. I haven't been this excited for a movie in a decade

Oct 28, 2017
Never read any of them yet but I've been slowly piecing together the series when I come across a book in the wild.

I own dune, dune messiah and God emperor .. have not seen children of dune at any yard sales or used book shops unfortunately

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I'm finally watching Jodorowsky's Dune and while I would have absolutely loved to see this movie... I also don't think I agree at all with the interpretation?

Could be very wrong, but it all feels very style over substance. To me, Dune is less about the aesthetic and more about the message.

Some further thoughts about the proposed changed ending, which I will spoiler tag in case people haven't watched the documentary:

The whole "Paul dies but is awoken in a cosmic conscious/is alive in everyone" just... doesn't work for Dune, which is all about the folly of the faith we place in our leaders and the fanaticism we allow them to instill in us.

I'm genuinely convinced no one working on that movie even read the book.

Last edited:
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Some other things Brian FH Clement mentioned in his tweets (I can't find them on Twitter but found them on screen-grabs on Instagram):

- Cast looks phenomenal in their costumes.
- Dave Bautista has never looked creepier.
- Set design has the same "big feel" of BR2049 and Arrival.
- Mix of grimy realism + dreamlike imagery.
- Baron Harkonnen looked cool.
- Saw lots of Paul in his stillsuit.
- Actor playing Dr. Kynes is not a huge star but an established actor.
- He saw Dr. Yueh, Rabban, Paul, Leto, Stilgar, Gurney, Duncan, Jessica, some Fremen in stillsuits and either Sardaukar or Harkonnen personnel.
- Rebecca Ferguson looks cool and kind of eerie.
- Oscar Isaac looked cool, a different look to what we're used to seeing from him.
- He saw an ornithopter and it doesn't look like the ones in Lynch's version.
- There were wide shots of a group of people featuring Rabban and probably Harkonnen personnel as they had similar costumes and make-up.
- Title looked like originally created artwork and not some standard font.
- He saw sandworms.

In other news, it seems like Brian Herbert has another novel coming this October 27 called 'Dune: The Duke of Caladan.'

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I finally sat down and watched Jodorowsky's Dune today. Man, I really want to see this movie now.. lol. We're about to see a third take on the story later this year, I wonder what that fourth one would have been like?

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
so i'm thinking about starting Dune for the first time tonight, just curious what i'm getting into. Is this just a one and done book? (just the first one) or should i bother will the sequels as well? and if so, which ones?

Invictus

Oct 25, 2017
Some other things Brian FH Clement mentioned in his tweets (I can't find them on Twitter but found them on screen-grabs on Instagram):

- He saw Dr. Yueh, Rabban, Paul, Leto, Stilgar, Gurney, Duncan, Jessica, some Fremen in stillsuits and either Sardaukar or Harkonnen personnel.
- Oscar Isaac looked cool, a different look to what we're used to seeing from him.
- There were wide shots of a group of people featuring Rabban and probably Harkonnen personnel as they had similar costumes and make-up.
- He saw sandworms.

In other news, it seems like Brian Herbert has another novel coming this October 27 called 'Dune: The Duke of Caladan.'

giphy.gif

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
so i'm thinking about starting Dune for the first time tonight, just curious what i'm getting into. Is this just a one and done book? (just the first one) or should i bother will the sequels as well? and if so, which ones?
Do all six Frank Herbert books, it's worth it.

Since I was sidetracked with work and other stuff in December and January I decided to start over with Chapter House today. I only got three chapters into it before anyway.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK

- He saw sandworms.

By eck that all sounds great.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017

The first book absolutely can stand on its own if that is all you're interested in, but many of the big ideas and themes Frank Herbert was going for don't become as clear until the sequels. I personally think all six of his original books are worth a read.

Also, a note: Dune throws a lot at you right away without exactly explaining what everything means. That's how it is supposed to be--don't be discouraged. There is a certain literary quality to Herbert's work where many things about the world these characters inhabit are left unsaid or vague in order to allow the reader to visualize it in a natural way.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

- He saw sandworms.

giphy.gif

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017

- He saw sandworms.

IJK3m1r.gif

Everything sounds fantastic. Bring the damn teaser/trailer already.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've finished reading Messiah. Blew through 2/3 of it in a single day but the entire book felt like it was describing momentous occasions in really mundane ways... It was probably deliberate, though, so I don't mind.

I don't know what to really think of it. I don't even know if the ending is good or bad, which is pretty interesting...

I'll definitely have to give it some time before I get to Children of Dune, though.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
The first book absolutely can stand on its own if that is all you're interested in, but many of the big ideas and themes Frank Herbert was going for don't become as clear until the sequels. I personally think all six of his original books are worth a read.

Also, a note: Dune throws a lot at you right away without exactly explaining what everything means. That's how it is supposed to be--don't be discouraged. There is a certain literary quality to Herbert's work where many things about the world these characters inhabit are left unsaid or vague in order to allow the reader to visualize it in a natural way.

Thank you for that note, the first 50 pages or so were semi-tough to get through but things have gotten a lot more interesting

CallmeDave

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for that note, the first 50 pages or so were semi-tough to get through but things have gotten a lot more interesting
I found the glossary in the back of the book pretty useful the first time I read Dune like 20 years ago, so many strange words. The audio book is surprisingly good but might not be the ideal way to experience the book the first time for this reason.

I can't believe we're less than a year away from this movie and we've yet to see 1 picture or anything.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's the general non spoiler reason people say this was unfilmable?

Is it because people have only tried to make a single film instead of a trilogy among other things?

less

Oct 25, 2017

- He saw sandworms.

The wait for a trailer/teaser becomes ever more unbearable.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

Is it because people have only tried to make a single film instead of a trilogy among other things?
The first book is fairly filmable, I think. The series as a whole is kind of rough to film though. I mean, you could, but Frank liked to veer off the path quite a lot. God Emperor would be hard to market as a bit sci-fi epic like the first could be, for example.

The other thing is that it's heavy on monologue, dense in terminology, and features a ridiculous about of internal thoughts. Whole character arcs are within their thoughts and almost never stated. Paul's fear of Jihad and the threat that entails is never put to words.

Then there prescience and the threads/paths forward and how you truly show that.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
I've finished reading Messiah. Blew through 2/3 of it in a single day but the entire book felt like it was describing momentous occasions in really mundane ways... It was probably deliberate, though, so I don't mind.

I don't know what to really think of it. I don't even know if the ending is good or bad, which is pretty interesting...

I'll definitely have to give it some time before I get to Children of Dune, though.
I feel like Messiah is best taken as a final part of Dune, as opposed to a sequel, at least that's the way someone here said to think about it to me after I read it and it made sense to me. Children of Dune is a whole different game though, definitely read it.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Yeah, think of Messiah as both an epilogue to Dune, and a prologue to Children

It really serves as a rumination on the nature of power, and in that aspect is a good grounding in the ideas Frank explores in books IV-VI.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017

I personally only thought it was "unfilmable" because of length. Even going beyond just the events of the story, so much just needs to be outright explained and it is a tough hurdle for a 3 hour or less film(if you look at Lynch's film you'll see something like the first 100 pages of the book taking up a massive amount of screentime). The universe of Dune is such a different flavor of sci-fi that the audience doesn't have the tropes and general conceits already baked into their pop culture knowledge base, so you kind of have to give them the info and that takes time, to the point where at least some audiences to Lynch's film were given a glossary to help.

The Sci-fi miniseries does an admirable job of cutting the story down and it still clocks in at over 4 and a half hours long.
All of the other books are easily adaptable in comparison, they have the foundation already established by Dune proper and their stories are way more streamlined.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
I personally only thought it was "unfilmable" because of length. Even going beyond just the events of the story, so much just needs to be outright explained and it is a tough hurdle for a 3 hour or less film(if you look at Lynch's film you'll see something like the first 100 pages of the book taking up a massive amount of screentime). The universe of Dune is such a different flavor of sci-fi that the audience doesn't have the tropes and general conceits already baked into their pop culture knowledge base, so you kind of have to give them the info and that takes time, to the point where at least some audiences to Lynch's film were given a glossary to help.

The Sci-fi miniseries does an admirable job of cutting the story down and it still clocks in at over 4 and a half hours long.
All of the other books are easily adaptable in comparison, they have the foundation already established by Dune proper and their stories are way more streamlined.
On the subject of time, I haven't really pondered how long this movie might end up being yet, but even with Villeneuve splitting the book up this is still surely likely to be minimum 2.5 hours long, right? The first draft of BR2049 was apparently 4 hours long so I really can't figure out if this could end up being a mammoth title or not. I guess it's hard to really have a good idea until we know for sure at what point of the book the split between the two movies will be.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Finally read Dune. That was a fine read indeed.

Anyone wrangling this thing into a filmable, excting, 200M+ movie that will attract mainstream audiences seems like a huge ask. What a bold move from Villenueve after BR2049 lol.

The cast seems to be really on point though at least.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Been lurking on this thread, never read the book and don't think I will, prefer to wait for the movie - but have found myself entranced by the world of Dune, watched videos on youtube etc.

Simple question, the spice allows folding of space for travel - is that the spice allows you to do this? or the spice allows a human to do the calculations for successful navigation, while an actual peice of tech does the folding. The former seems very odd/silly while the latter makes sense - just something im curious about.