• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
dunkey's collage of the best 2D platformers:

screenshot2019-01-11aiei45.png

surprisingly, no SMB2.

SMB2 transcends this list and makes them all look like garbage in comparison.

Some pretty good picks all around.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
I am continually shocked at how great Dunkey is at games criticism. He is so good at eloquently getting across his points about why a game is good.

Of course he's also good for the comedy and memes but his lightly serious videos shouldn't be slept on either

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Really good list (only one i'm not hot on is U4 but whateaver)

I need to get that ZeroRanger shoot em up asap, looks amazing

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Really like the list. Making the list games he's played in 2018 (as opposed to 2018 releases) is a great decision IMO, especially since it showcases some older games that still hold up today. Plus it adds variety to a year that some might see as lackluster for whatever reason.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here's something strange. Dunkey reviewed Uncharted 4 in 2016 and he didn't love it, he just liked it.
I think he changed his mind about the game after replaying it.
He's changed his opinion on some games several times. At one point he thought Last of Us was trash, but then came around on it and felt it was better than the Uncharted games. Most notably he never entertained Doom with a video back when it came out, and commented in his Sad Year video that he felt the game was really generic ("every level plays the same"), but in his 2017 best-of he admitted the game finally clicked with him.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Seconding the recomendation for ZeroRanger. It's one of the greatest shmups of all time that stands next to the Cave greats like Dodonpachi DOJ and Ketsui.

It's also very smart about its narrative. Think shmups are not condusive to interesting stories? Play this and witness just how far ZeroRanger takes the narrative capabilities of a historically storyless genre.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I enjoy dunkey but I won't deny that he hasn't had a few issues.

I believe one of his other controversies was busting out the n word in his Red Dead rap.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Downwell is blessed, in the top 5 for best procedurally generated games ever made

Maybe even top 3

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
I don't know if it's because I have no nostalgia for NES Castlevania but Bloodstained did absolutely nothing for me at all. Nice list otherwise.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Excellent top by dunkey, better than I expected actually. There are some games on that list that I definitely need to check out. I actually have the same top 2.
Always loved dunkey's game of the year videos.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
The DKCTF part is excellent.

NSMBU is so lame next to it.
They're both great games. NSMBU has a simpler art style, but it has a lot more variety in stages and gimmicks where every level is completely unique. DKCTF repeats ideas more often.

Of course, those 3 levels of NSMBU Dunkey picked are the only 3 levels that use the Acorn Plains grass theme like that in the whole game, and if you were to cherry pick the same way you could do something similar with Tropical Freeze.

3 different levels of Tropical Freeze:
9QNwl3jm.png
y7yw1irm.png
plQt0yJm.jpg

No doubt DKCTF wins in looks, but the comparison wasn't very objective.

dDPevFK.jpg
rKSHOr5.jpg

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Picked up Monolith off this list and... hey! It's a lot of fun! I like these end of the year lists, especially Dunkeys because they usually draw me to a gem in the rough that I overlooked that year. Monolith definitely it.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always find these videos funny but unfortunately they don't do a lot for me in terms of the lists because donkey is a very systems driven gamer where is I am more aesthetically and kinesthetically driven. As a result most of these games do nothing for me but it's pretty cool to watch them get some attention. I bet their developers are happy to be in a Dunkey vid.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's shocking that a narrative heavy AAA game tops Dunkey list but again it's Supaaah Mario Bro two baybeee. No seriously tho didn't expect GoW to be on his top 10, like Persona 5 too last year

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Several games immediately caught my eye and he's fully convinced me on buying them too. Especially ZeroRanger with that god-tier music. Very impressive stuff.

Also fucking THANK YOU for shouting out Bloodstained: Curse. Easily, easily, the best platformer of the year by a long shot and it's mindblowing that such a quality game was simply supposed to be a 'bonus'. I have little doubt it'll be better than the original project.

Deleted member 48205

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 30, 2018
Man am I all alone in thinking that Celeste was just pretty good? Everyone else is just going crazy over this game

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man am I all alone in thinking that Celeste was just pretty good? Everyone else is just going crazy over this game
i'm the same. i had such high expectations for the game but it ended up being a disappointment. the narrative and characters didn't really click with me, the visuals, while nice, weren't exactly new or amazing. same for the music. and level design wasn't anything special and i never felt like wow this is some genius level design going on in these levels.
overall, it's a very well made game and a nice package, but i started playing it thinking it's going to join the top level of indie game royalty but it ended up being a 7/10 game for me. it didn't have anything special to put it in the same league as other indie classics.

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
i'm the same. i had such high expectations for the game but it ended up being a disappointment. the narrative and characters didn't really click with me, the visuals, while nice, weren't exactly new or amazing. same for the music. and level design wasn't anything special and i never felt like wow this is some genius level design going on in these levels.
overall, it's a very well made game and a nice package, but i started playing it thinking it's going to join the top level of indie game royalty but it ended up being a 7/10 game for me.
I agree, 7/10 sounds about right. It should've been THE indie standout of 2018 but I just wasn't feeling it that much. What's your actual standout game?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree, 7/10 sounds about right. It should've been THE indie standout of 2018 but I just wasn't feeling it that much. What's your actual standout game?
the indie game that i played last year and absolutely blew me away was hollow knight (i know it's technically not a 2018 game). that game was just perfect in every way and it's up there in my favorite games of all time list.
other than that i didn't play too many indie games in 2018. gorogoa, gris and chuchel were the other ones, i would probably pick them all over celeste too.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Before I watch...

Does he take a dump on popular games?

Does he set the cat out amongst the pigeons?

Do I need my popcorn?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
His other controversy I would imagine is his persona/content he did for League of Legends. Riot permanently banned him for griefing and raging in game/his videos he made about the game.
Dunkey never griefed in League. He got banned for raging against someone who did, though.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
overall, it's a very well made game and a nice package, but i started playing it thinking it's going to join the top level of indie game royalty but it ended up being a 7/10 game for me. it didn't have anything special to put it in the same league as other indie classics.
How far did you go into the B-Sides and the extra content? I enjoyed the base game, but getting all the Strawberries and going through the post-game was where the level design took the next step.