• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad people ignored that shit attempt at a derail on the last page. Great video by Dunk, my top two games of the year looks the same.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How far did you go into the B-Sides and the extra content? I enjoyed the base game, but getting all the Strawberries and going through the post-game was where the level design took the next step.
this is where i am, so it's not like i hated the game, i obviously liked it and played it for quite a bit, and i'll probably go back and play some more. it's just that i was expecting something special, which never happened. part of my frustration also came from how frustrating it was to control with the analog stick, and me not having a good controller with a dpad to play. like more than half the deaths came from the controls not doing what i wanted them to do.

img_5160zpf6i.jpg

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
the indie game that i played last year and absolutely blew me away was hollow knight (i know it's technically not a 2018 game). that game was just perfect in every way and it's up there in my favorite games of all time list.
other than that i didn't play too many indie games in 2018. gorogoa, gris and chuchel were the other ones, i would probably pick them all over celeste too.
Didn't play any of these, have Hollow Knight in my steam library, better jump in

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
this is where i am, so it's not like i hated the game, i obviously liked it and played it for quite a bit, and i'll probably go back and play some more. it's just that i was expecting something special, which never happened. part of my frustration also came from how frustrating it was to control with the analog stick, and me not having a good controller with a dpad to play. like more than half the deaths came from the controls not doing what i wanted them to do.

img_5160zpf6i.jpg
How far did you get? I find the story very affecting, if not a bit simple. Neat mechanics are added in each Chapter that really build the game and keep things fresh.

I definitely had some issues with using the Switch's control stick, but deaths come so fast and the reset is so seamless that it didn't really bother me most of the time until I got really late in the B-Sides and the screens could take 30+ seconds a piece.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I thought Dunkey was a joke character but seeing Celeste and Into The Breach up there shows he's knowledgeable as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How far did you get? I find the story very affecting, if not a bit simple. Neat mechanics are added in each Chapter that really build the game and keep things fresh.

I definitely had some issues with using the Switch's control stick, but deaths come so fast and the reset is so seamless that it didn't really bother me most of the time until I got really late in the B-Sides and the screens could take 30+ seconds a piece.
i finished it, you can see in that picture i posted, did a good amount of post-game stuff too

Didn't play any of these, have Hollow Knight in my steam library, better jump in
it's amazing. probably the best metroidvania ever made.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Downwell is blessed, in the top 5 for best procedurally generated games ever made

Maybe even top 3

It's out soon on Switch but I usually think procedurally generated games just don't work (Into The Breach being the exception but it's not your typical procedurally generated content, it's actually hand-crafted). I know the developer got a job at Nintendo Japan, so that's a good sign mechanically but I don't know, it seems the game will grow old fast.

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
Glad to hear the Gungeon shout out, even though it wasn't released in 2018, I picked it up early this year on the Switch and have dumped a TON of time into it. Easily one of my favorite games on his list.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
He really sold me on Monolith, Enter the Gungeon and Zeroranger.

The Super Mario Bros 2 bit was disappointing though.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, if wanting a thread to stay on the topic it was created for, per forum rules, make dunk lucky to have me, glad to help.
Calling out a Youtubers use of homophobic and racial slurs in a thread about their content is NOT off-topic or a derail. The mods have mentioned this in such a thread in the past. Stop trying to bury this shit just because you like the person and their content.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Calling out a Youtubers use of homophobic and racial slurs in a thread about their content is NOT off-topic or a derail. The mods have mentioned this in such a thread in the past. Stop trying to bury this shit just because you like the person and their content.
Can you link to an example? I'd like to see their official stance on coming into threads and telling people to stop watching that trash.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's out soon on Switch but I usually think procedurally generated games just don't work (Into The Breach being the exception but it's not your typical procedurally generated content, it's actually hand-crafted). I know the developer got a job at Nintendo Japan, so that's a good sign mechanically but I don't know, it seems the game will grow old fast.
I can only speak from experience, but I (likely) have more hours in Downwell than I do in The Witcher 3. It's incredibly addictive. There is a flow when playing it that, dare I say, is better than Sonic the Hedgehog

I will say that I think procedurally generated games are a dime-a-dozen, but Downwell is so damn good and is the exception to the rule.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Can you link to an example? I'd like to see their official stance on coming into threads and telling people to stop watching that trash.
It was a couple months ago so forgive me that I can't remember the exact thread. I'll contact a mod and ask if they remember and I can get a link to the mod post.

Official Staff Communication

The concerns about A Internet personalities prior problematic events will remain fair game for discussion, as will the content they publish (Unless it's deemed the personality should be added to the banned persona list). No blanket ban on these topics is being considered at this time for Dunkey.
<@!100665240378703872>

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can only speak from experience, but I (likely) have more hours in Downwell than I do in The Witcher 3. It's incredibly addictive. There is a flow when playing it that, dare I say, is better than Sonic the Hedgehog

I will say that I think procedurally generated games are a dime-a-dozen, but Downwell is so damn good and is the exception to the rule.
which platform do you play it on? i want to get it on switch but i kinda think i should get it on my phone.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Curious to know what his thoughts are on The Messenger. It seems like it would be right up his alley.

His top 10 lists are always interesting because he plays an absurd amount of games each year and there's always something that flies under the radar.

EXCEPT FOR THE KING OF COURSE SUPER MARIO BROS 2

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
which platform do you play it on? i want to get it on switch but i kinda think i should get it on my phone.
I have it on my phone. One of the larger sized phones, so it plays even better. It's great if you're sitting on public transit, but it's definitely not a one-handed game.

I also have it on PC, although I rarely play it. Seems like kind of a waste on PC, because a chunk of the screen is taken up by these borders, so it doesn't really maximize screen space like it does on mobile.

And despite me not needing it, I might even get it on the Switch.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have it on my phone. One of the larger sized phones, so it plays even better. It's great if you're sitting on public transit, but it's definitely not a one-handed game.

I also have it on PC, although I rarely play it. Seems like kind of a waste on PC, because a chunk of the screen is taken up by these borders, so it doesn't really maximize screen space like it does on mobile.

And despite me not needing it, I might even get it on the Switch.
looks like the kind of game that's best suited to a phone, to play a few minutes anytime you're bored. i think i'll get it there.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017

I might try it if it's cheap enough. Out of curiosity, what's your Top 5 procedurally generated games?

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication

The concerns about A Internet personalities prior problematic events will remain fair game for discussion, as will the content they publish (Unless it's deemed the personality should be added to the banned persona list). No blanket ban on these topics is being considered at this time for Dunkey.
<@!100665240378703872>
I see. Thanks.

Red Dead was not a contender.
His review was very critical of the gameplay, even though he loved the writing up to a point.

Interestingly, he gave GoW a 4/5, so he didn't feel he had played a 5/5 game this year. I find that to be rather refreshing for someone to find their favorite game in a year to be really good rather than declaring it a masterpiece simply because.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
His review was very critical of the gameplay, even though he loved the writing up to a point.

Interestingly, he gave GoW a 4/5, so he didn't feel he had played a 5/5 game this year. I find that to be rather refreshing for someone to find their favorite game in a year to be really good rather than declaring it a masterpiece simply because.
Or he could have changed his mind after some more time with it, just like he did with Uncharted 4.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
looks like the kind of game that's best suited to a phone, to play a few minutes anytime you're bored. i think i'll get it there.
An excellent choice!
I might try it if it's cheap enough. Out of curiosity, what's your Top 5 procedurally generated games?
Hmm... well, I don't play a lot of them; they're not really my thing. However, there are a few that stand out.

In order of favourite to 5th favourite, for the most part:
  • The Binding of Isaac. So many bosses, enemies, upgrades, levels... I have triple-dipped on this game, at least.
  • Spelunky. The one that started a roguelike revolution. Feels like a living, breathing world where hazards can hurt you as well as enemies, with a lot of stuff you can do on the way to your objective.
  • Downwell. I mean, I've been saying it, but I'll say it again. It inscentivises movement, so you'll constantly be on the way down (well) if you want gems/money. There are different modes or "Styles" you can unlock (more health and less upgrades, for example) and changing your weapon is a crucial decision every single time. Love it.
The last two on my list aren't really my faves, and could probably be replaced with a lot of other roguelikes, quite frankly.
  • Risk of Rain. Have not gotten very far in this at all (still only have one character) but I like roaming around, looking for stuff to find and things to kill.
  • Rogue Legacy. Neat game, think randomizing your class after every death is kind of annoying, but that's just me.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Damn, I feel like I should play Celeste but I feel capped out of 2D Side Scrollers this year.

It's between Hollow Knight, Celeste or Dead Cells. I'll only play one.

edit: I'll only play one right NOW, probably get to the others down the line in the future...

Also, Yay God of War!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if it's between those three, go with hollow knight for sure. it's a better game than celeste (i haven't played dead cells but it's most likely better than that too), and depending on how much you end up liking the game and how much of a completionist you are, it's an amazing 30 to 60 hour experience.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
if it's between those three, go with hollow knight for sure. it's a better game than celeste (i haven't played dead cells but it's most likely better than that too), and depending on how much you end up liking the game and how much of a completionist you are, it's an amazing 30 to 60 hour experience.
Hrmm, I've heard that multiple times. Definitely has peaked my interest, thanks for your suggestion (don't mean to derail this thread!). The Hollow Knight art style also looks the most interesting to me, so I'm definitely going to give it a shot.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dunkey is about the only youtube personality I can stand to watch. He's a funny dude and I enjoy his videos. I like how he makes the list the stuff he's played this year or replayed instead of just sticking to calendar year stuff.

Deleted member 46922

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I don't like him as much as I used to, but he knows his games. He probably didn't play Monster Boy and the cursed Kingdom yet, because I can't imagine him not loving that game.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I feel like I should play Celeste but I feel capped out of 2D Side Scrollers this year.

edit: I'll only play one right NOW, probably get to the others down the line in the future...

Also, Yay God of War!
I've played and beaten all 3 of those, they're all great and you can't go wrong with any of them but personally Hollow Knight is just on another level so I say go with that.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Also, Yay God of War!
Get Hollow Knight. Seriously.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Oh.... Gungeon is about guns

This whole time I thought people were talking about a game based around gunge.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't beat monolith against what i assume to be the real the final boss, he's just such a difficulty spike with a bloated health pool that i ended up accepting defeat.
Great game though, pretty short play session too which is nice for that gendra.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Solid list and entertaining to watch. Good work as usual. Dunkey's probably the only Youtube celebrity I like.

And I need to play Zero Ranger and Into the Breach like yesterday.