• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Si I've read this (some person said that it's the best 8.5/10 of your life) and got me wondering:

Regardless of what I think about the game, right now it seems like the press have made up their mind (and heart) and even if they think the game is... I don't know, a 6/10, it looks like everything before it is less than that so, it doesn't have to be a 10 by the end of the year everything else would be lesser.

Now, projecting into the future, it's expected that Red Dead Redemption 2 will get major attention but other than that what else could compete? Spider-Man? Smash Bross? It's undenniable that God of War will be in the conversation whether people think it deserves it or not and it'd be weird if the press would backpedal on their claims so much.

An example used to back up this claim was Uncharted 4, stating that it got a lot of 10s and by award season got brought down because "people" changed their opinion but that game still got a lot of goty's so...

Do you feel that press is on a famous honeymoon phase and got carried away?

Personally I think they were to vocal to turn around. (I'm not saying nothing can top it, juts that it'd be weird is they suddenly say "you know, actually it wasn't that good).

Bring ragnarok upon me if I'm not making any sense.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ignore this. It's the same kind of thing that was said for BotW last year. Some people are just salty at a game they personally don't like being well received, and need validation for their opinion by pretending that they are right, and everyone else is either slowly coming around to agreeing with them, or will soon enough (it's, again, something that happens with BotW a lot).

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure what you are getting at or trying to say, but people change their minds all the time. Even for things they really like.

I am sure some will eventually come to feel different about God of War as time allows them to digest and think on it.

Also no one should really care about what anyone else thinks.

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think that'll probably be the case. The "bearded dad with kid" Genre is being flooded by movies and games and I can see people having enough.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Breath of the Wild came out in March last year and many people (yes I know not all but that's an obvious thing) still talk about it and accept that it's a 10 game right? It even won countless awards!

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean during awards season everyone will be talking Red Dead so
GTA5 did not beat out TLOU. RDR2 will not beat out GoW

I think that'll probably be the case. The "bearded dad with kid" Genre is being flooded by movies and games and I can see people having enough.
"I think this will be the case. The "open world" genre is being flooded by games, and I can see people having enough".

(unless this was thinly veiled sarcasm that I missed, in which pre-emptive apology)

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ignore this. It's the same kind of thing that was said for BotW last year. Some people are just salty at a game they personally don't like being well received, and need validation for their opinion by pretending that they are right, and everyone else is either slowly coming around to agreeing with them, or will soon enough (it's, again, something that happens with BotW a lot).
So much this.

maks

Oct 27, 2017
8.75/10 for me. Avoided all the articles, hype, and all but one trailer. Now that I've completed the game and started reading impressions it's pretty clear a lot of gamers are wondering why it got rated so high.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted 4 was a 10 for me...and still was by award season. I don't see gow being topped unless spiderman is mindblowing...like at the level metroid prime is to me.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild came out in March last year and many people (yes I know not all but that's an obvious thing) still talk about it and accept that it's a 10 game right? It even won countless awards!
Yup, it's the most obvious analog. It's still considered to be one of the greatest games ever made en masse more than a year after release (as much as some Era posters like to pretend that opinion on it turned, it beat Ocarina of Time and The Witcher 3 in polls recently, and also was the most named game in a "Best of Generation games" thread). God of War is hugely beloved, I don't see reception for it turning either.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Bring ragnarok upon me if I'm not making any sense.
Ragnork is coming because I'm not 100% understanding you.

Yup.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Just try not to care about what they think. If you like it, who cares what number they think the game is.

There's no surefire way of predicting how people will feel in the future.

You like the game. Most people who played it seemed to like it. If people don't later, just let them be. There's nothing to be gained here.
I don't think that there's any growing disdain for the game whatsoever.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 will get a better score and then people remember how overrated most Rockstar games are and we see God of War sweeping awards like The Last of Us.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
BotW and Horizon came out in March last year and won a ton of awards, I personally enjoyed GoW more than Horizon, it'll win awards, I honestly don't think RDR2 will be as good as the first, something feels a bit off from what we've seen, for me at least

R/EMH/A

Alt account
Banned
May 15, 2018

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017

This.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think that people are riding high on the release, but I think that overall it's going to probably fall a lot less harshly than some early-year critical darlings. It has a lot going for it in a lot of ways, even if the "grumpy dad trying to teach a kid but instead learns from him" trope is worn down to the bone.

The gameplay is solid, the world design is fantastic, and it's one of the rare examples of a game with an open-world-esque format where almost all of the content actually feels crafted and valuable instead of being copy-pasted 'tasks' or 'activities'.

There's a lot to like about GoW, and while opinion might cool slightly by the end of the year, I really don't think there's that much about the game people could really turn on.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead is BOTW and God of War is Horizon of 2018
Absolutely not. God of War is miles better than Horizon, and Red Dead will not be as great as BotW was.
Also, the BotW-Horizon dichotomy was in part due to the proximity of their releases. It would be more accurate to call God of War the TLOU and RDR2 the GTA5, or God of War the BotW, and RDR2 the Super Mario Odyssey, of 2018.

moose84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BOTW is flawed but it absolutely deserved GOTY.

God of War is flawed and (so far at least) it absolutely deserves GOTY.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
GTA5 did not beat out TLOU. RDR2 will not beat out GoW

"I think this will be the case. The "open world" genre is being flooded by games, and I can see people having enough".

(unless this was thinly veiled sarcasm that I missed, in which pre-emptive apology)
I would not be surprised if it did. Red Dead Redemption is considered one of the best games of last generation. I think it's gonna be a tight race.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely disagree. It's not even close to my favorite game by any means (hell not even my top of this gen), but GoW does so much right that I think it definitely deserves those scores. As said prior, people said the same about Breath of the Wild which is easily one of the most creative, unique, ambitious, and overall wonderful experiences I've had this gen.

Only time will tell, but only RDR2 really stands a chance of coming anywhere close, and I think even it won't be able to complete. For all intents and purposes, GoW is this year's BotW in many ways.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Peoples opinions can change, but people saying "your opinion WILL change" is bullshit

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
Say what you want, a review is always comparing to something else.
If many great games come out until the end of the year, it's normal for GoW to have less GOTY nomination (tastes differ depending on the people who vote).
If a lot of okay game come out, then it will be GOTY more easily.
People also tend to forget games that came out at the beginning of the year or "reduce" their quality because the memory is far, nothing wrong with it.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017

I love the first responses since they usually hit the nail on the head. A game that doesn't get high review scores doesn't make it a lesser compared to others. In the case of this year, I say that both MHW and GoW both stand a fair chance so far for being GotY material with GoW having the obvious edge. I can't say what other games we'll see this year, but GoW will definitely be a front runner regardless of what else may come out this year.

OP
OP
MegaSackman

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
8.75/10 for me. Avoided all the articles, hype, and all but one trailer. Now that I've completed the game and started reading impressions it's pretty clear a lot of gamers are wondering why it got rated so high.

Personally it's pretty weird that I couldn't understand a consensus on a game's opinion (for instance I don't understand how so many people think FFXV is so good), but most of the time I know why most people could think a game is a little better or worst than my feelings about it. Wouldn't you think that if God of War is an 8.75/10 for you, it could be a little higher than that for a lot of people? I mean is not that there's a much higher ceiling.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It is a great game but it doesn't feel quite deserving of the reviews it received. To be honest I felt the same way about Horizon: Zero Dawn's reception last year. They're both well built games with plenty to do in them but they're incredibly conservative and padded out with a lot of repetition, what I would consider a decent 8/10 experience.

Horizon did seem to fall by the wayside a little in GotY conversation by year's end in light of titles like Zelda, Mario, Nier, Divinity, even games like Edith Finch, leaving a more lasting impact in people's minds. I think God of War will probably fair a bit better, mainly because 2018 doesn't have as many contenders in the running as we had last year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it slipped down a few people's lists by December.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the press loves it, I think the market loves it, and I think both will be more than evident once GotY season rolls around. God of War will top both Critic and Reader GotY picks.

Goronmon

Nov 9, 2017

Sums up the situation pretty well.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I stopped caring about awards last year when one of the best narrative game in years came out and it was barely mentioned on that category. I'm still mad about how the awards disrecpected Yakuza 0 :(

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL I can't wait for the season awards just to see all the salt.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
We'll see. I don't see RDR2 winning.
I think it's gonna depend on how memorable Red Dead's characters and story are. RDR's main character is fondly remembered and it has one of the best game endings of all time. I think that's part of why people love it so much to this day. I loved God of War and feel like RDR2 is the only game that could top it this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.